Entropia on Cloud Computing?

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
Wouldn't it make more sense to have Entropia Universe as a Cloud Computing based game?

If it moves over to cloud based it could be made to run on more platforms, devices and operating systems e.g. tablets, smartphones, linux, virtual reality as well as laptops and pc's even with older operating systems.

There would also be no need then to download huge updates or indeed for first time players to the game to download a huge game.

I hope they do consider this before developing EU for virtual reality because it's an excellent opportunity not just to develop the game for VR but make it compatible across more devices including modern small tablets and smartphones.

Some people these days don't really have a need for a PC anymore and so once their PC expires they may have no plans to buy another one because they don't need or use a PC anymore. For example myself I only use my PC now for EU mainly, sometimes a few other bits and bats but it doesn't really make sense for me to buy another PC when this one is too old or when it stops working just to play EU. I do most of my things using a tablet and smartphone, my PC is becoming more and more redundant.

It wouldn't surprise me if I'm not the only one and tablets/smartphones may be far more common than PC's these days i.e. for most people a PC may already be redundant.

Having EU compatible on tablets is far more useful and would be far more commercially successful than just developing EU for VR.

Note:
Cloud Computing = "the practice of using a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet to store, manage, and process data, rather than a local server or a personal computer."

bump to encourage discussion

Uhm, where to begin. There is a client and a server part. Both are very different programs each with specific requirements.

What exactly do you think a cloud would improve EU?

Everything happen at servers, and what we see is a replicated build on client.

So the game always is running at a larger server parc.

The client stuff to run at a server, and then broadcast the visual data to a client would explode the data transferring. EU is a MMO game, and not a tablet game with low grafic. A smartphone dont have a fast grafic accelerator, nor it can handle all grafic, a pc can do. They just using much more simply shaders.

Last edited:
my guess he desire something wtih Onlive project and only video stream and input streaam are calc local all others stuffs are calc in server side , sorry for say to you is farfar way to happen because even this days R&D dont develop yet efficiency way to cut off latency across ocean make things like this impossible even with superb links 1Gb/s or more

The technology for this is already here. Some examples already exist see this link for more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming

Maybe I should have titled this cloud gaming ;)

I've tried Onlive in the past and thought it was brilliant. It allowed you to play current top quality console games live over the internet
onlive_menu_screen.jpg

LiquidSky seems to be a newer cloud gaming platform according to their slogan, "Own a PC in the Cloud to Install and Play Any Game." So in theory you could run Entropia already on a smartphone or tablet by installing Entropia on their "SkyComputer" and installing their android app on your smartphone to access and play the game. Hmm dunno if it actually works just browsed this from their website just now. The only problem is there is a charge for this on their platform perhaps MindArk could make an arrangement with them to have Entropia available for free?

lol
cloud computing..
i don't mind having 50 gb for a game on my hdd and play with a 3 year old pc on my 28" monitor.

i enjoy it as it is, and will be glad to play EU in 2017 with my current setup or any games on a possibly updated rig.
as for the topic.. for the cloud.. how would it work to stream video on my upcoming 16k monitor with my 8mb ADSL ?

you people are funny, you want 4k, VR, and cryengine5 or ue4 graphics then complain about the lack of players.
MA is curently exploiting about 40 % of the cryengine2 features even if they have a modified engine.
they could use cloud to store all your items and your crappy suggestions, and put space there too

we only would need platform clients. but be sure you will not have the same grafic at phones or tablets, as you have with a pc.

Into unreal engine, i can generate the game for Ios or windows 32 or windows 64 bit, also i can generate it for android and linux, if i want.

But the problem is, that i have to develope the game that way, so it can be generated on all platforms.

Same you would need to do for a cloud gaming.

Quote: ***Cloud gaming, sometimes called gaming on demand, is a type of online gaming. Currently there are two main types of cloud gaming: cloud gaming based on video streaming and cloud gaming based on file streaming. ***

Both of those would not work with a game like entropia! maybe google about, how MMO games are build, then you unterstand what i try to tell you.

but be sure you will not have the same grafic at phones or tablets, as you have with a pc.

As long as the full graphics capabilities of the hardware your playing the game upon is utilised then I don't see any problem with this. Also some tablets and smartphones these days are capable of very high resolution graphics. Also see below

Quote: ***Cloud gaming, sometimes called gaming on demand, is a type of online gaming. Currently there are two main types of cloud gaming: cloud gaming based on video streaming and cloud gaming based on file streaming. ***

Both of those would not work with a game like entropia!

If the "image" to be displayed on a monitor is converted into a video stream then there really is no problem with a smartphone or tablet to display high definition graphics. Think of it like playing a netflix movie on a smartphone or tablet it can be done and in a very high resolution, the same would apply to a video game or any software for that matter because all the system would be doing is converted the games graphics into a video stream and displaying that.

As long as the full graphics capabilities of the hardware your playing the game upon is utilised then I don't see any problem with this. Also some tablets and smartphones these days are capable of very high resolution graphics.

Resolution is one thing, the processing power to create images from mathematical formulas at a reasonable frame rate a totally different one. Gaming hardware consumes more energy than the average pc, why might that be? And why are tablets or smaller devices struggling to catch up? Suggest to study some basic computer architecture for different purposes.

Edit-
If the "image" to be displayed on a monitor is converted into a video stream then there really is no problem with a smartphone or tablet to display high definition graphics.
You need a dedicated image for every client. You're gonna pay dearly for the processing power, to the extent that it makes no sense. Netflix and similar services replay stored content and/or can multicast the same item to several clients at once. I think I stop here.

Last edited:
maybe this help, a forum discussion into Unrealengine Forum about this theme.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?104676-Lets-talk-about-streaming-cloud-gaming

and this from Nvidia

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cloud-gaming.html

from a post in forum:

In a game:
1 you press a button
2 it travels to the server in 15~70ms depending on ping
3 only now the server knows what to render, it takes 10ms because GPUs are powerful, your HD frame is converted into h264 by the same GPU
4 frame travels to your tv in ping_offset+transfer_time : blurry calm image 20~80ms, detailed colorful shaky image with post effects (like crysis, bf, ac, cod, bioshock, or anything post-2010) 50~200ms.
On average your network-induced lag will be close to 100ms which makes anything but RTS genre unplayable. The video will be pretty and smooth, but your reactions will be postponed 35~270ms, late all the time. It's like playing drunk or with a numb hand.
Compared to that, on a local computer electronics-induced lag is in nanoseconds.
It's a nice technology to watch someone else play, or rather to watch them lose against players connected locally.

With other words, a game like Compet would be possible to run on a cloud, but a game like EU not. At least not yet.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a good idea.
1 - MA will have to spend a lot of money on this. Guess where that money will be coming from :broke:

2 - Lag will be more noticeable.

3 - I have a high-end gaming PC, but my internet is slow and expensive. Clouding would really suck for ppl in my situation.

Back