Do you like space as it is?

Do you like space as it is?

• Yes, going through space to another planet is an experience I wouldn't want to miss

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • If there was a teleporter to another planet and I was able to skip space, I would do it

Votes: 73 70.9%
  • Something else Pro Space, I will post below

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Something else Anti Space, I will post below

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spawn

Slayer
Society
The Ministry
Storm Spawn Bootcamp
from this thread : Space 2017

I selected a few snippets..
Just because there is a select few extremely arrogant and vocal posters on PCF that agree with you doesn't mean the vast mass majority does.

brought down to a few same old faces bitching about space existing at all ?

The question is hard to answer, since this is a PCF poll , but here it goes anyway:

I would rather TP to other planets....

from this thread : Space 2017

I selected a few snippets..

The question is hard to answer, since this is a PCF poll , but here it goes anyway:

If it was done with TP'ing to other planets instead of space ships, Im sure MA would want to get the 7 ped for it. There are really only 2 benefits to flying to another planet is that it is only 2 ped +oil cost to get there.( If there was space events like quad racing or something like that, then space would have good use.) So, the cost is cheaper to fly yourself in space to another planet. Secondly, the other benefit to traveling in space is that you can do vehicle repair and raise up your skills more quickly. If we were to stop traveling in space, it would help if we could still have a way to continue to increase our skills as much as vehicle repairing does for a player in EU.

So, in terms of a final vote, I would say I would rather a TP system. Since my goal is to build business, I would vote for having a TP to each planet because it would allow me to get where I needed to go quickly and without risk of being pirated. I just dont want to pay alot of ped for traveling and I would miss the vehicle skilling up program which has helped alot in increasing my skills. I would suggest if we had TP system that MA forgot the costs of a TP planetary travel system. Given they are always making money every time someone buys anything off the TT, they could afford to let the players have one thing without cost. LOl...But that would mean they wouldn't profit so that would be a pipe dream to imagine...lol

When i think back to pre VU 10 which was basically a tp with dressing, I do prefer space as it is now even though takes time to get places.

As for a paid TP i'm not against but isn't that more or less what mothership/privateers are atm?

When i think back to pre VU 10 which was basically a tp with dressing, I do prefer space as it is now even though takes time to get places.

As for a paid TP i'm not against but isn't that more or less what mothership/privateers are atm?

I honestly have no idea why people are so against the idea of making positive changes to space. sci fi nerds like myself actually like space lmao. long before i ever fired my first shot lol :laugh:

p.s. i dont want space to stay the same hence why i voted: Something else Pro Space, I will post below. Space as it is needs much improvement and more fun.

My opinion is a bit biased but still I think space as it is, is still a nice adition to the game.

The pvp aspect definitly needs looking into, but then again, so do lots and lots of niche professions and smaller details (and even bigger ones! Bugged apartment walls anyone? or trade errors? could go on :p), so just accept the game for what it is, and have fun at your level.

My opinion is just that, my opinion :p My goals in game revolve mostly on socializing so heh, might not be the best person to write on the matter, however I must tell you that because of the services I am providing I get to meet lots of different people, and have a talk, and have fun with others in the end. To me, the goal is achieved in a way, then come all the other smaller goals, now those are a bit trickier hehe.

But all in all I think it's good as is, just needs finetuning.:)

I honestly have no idea why people are so against the idea of making positive changes to space. sci fi nerds like myself actually like space lmao. long before i ever fired my first shot lol :laugh:

p.s. i dont want space to stay the same hence why i voted: Something else Pro Space, I will post below. Space as it is needs much improvement and more fun.

Oh i wholeheartedly agree more needs to be done with space, and have suggested stuff via forum and direct through support. I suggested introducing iron missions in space and allowing stations to be fought over landgrab style for control of the relative spawn/hunt area's :).

With my earlier post saying "space is ok as it is" i meant in regard to travel through space pvp as opposed to a paid tp.

Interplanetary tp would be nice to bring back... won't hurt the little pirates since you could just add tp fee to loot out there in space similar to what is done with radiation shots, etc.

As for space itself...
How about making it like Mindark originally wanted it to be?
6-a: Ventures into space will come in 2005. We hope to bring real time space ship combat with robot ships and other space living entities. Asteroid mining will also be a part of it. I envision a major star ship with a crew of 100 people all manning various functions of the ship, like engineering, guns, torpedos, strategic command, shields, power distribution, hull repairs, etc, allwoing for major epic battles in the sky.

At the very least a 'tp to home' option with tp chips should allow you to tp to a planet you have an estate on (maybe some limits on that so that one aud won't give you that right, but perhaps 6 or more so that the 'base' price is roughly equal to what the Calypso apartments went for, etc.) . Stackables wouldn't necessarily need to go through in that tp jump, but that way it'd at least allow multi-planet estate owners the ability to manage the estates without having to sit and wait for either a ms warp to come along on it's schedule or wait for the lengthy time it takes to fly solo... Hell, even Neverdie's way of paid tps could work for this as long as it was only for the interplanetary jumps not the tp to tp on same planet hops.

Last edited:
I voted pro space for many reasons that i dont feel like explaining here again.
Just wanted to say that your poll question is biased since even if someone was pro space he likely would use a tp to another planet if there was one - this however doesnt mean that it would be good for the game nor the players longterm.
Its like asking would you use a special trade terminal that sells ammo at half the price of other trade terminals ?
Sure everyone would and soon after everyone would wonder why hunting loot got worse then ever - cause you cant loot what you dont spent ;)

Distance creates opportunities - teleporters destroy opportunities because they give everyone the false impression that they can be everywhere and do everything - but so can everyone else. And whenever something can be done by everyone it looses value.

Of the options listed I'm closer aligned to c)

Something else Pro Space, I will post below

Dont completely like space as it is as it feels half implemented. It works but it needs finishing.

Too many programming hours and lots of time and money have been invested into it so it shouldn't (and needn't) be removed.

Space in EU has a lot of potential but isn't progressing so that sucks.
What really pisses me off is seeing these online advertisement for EU and they are using space battle themed videos to attack new players. In reality the most time MA has invested into space in recent years is into making these advertisements.

As I've said previously, hand over the areas of space to the planets they surround and let them manage it. We might then start getting something interesting.

Space does have huge potential, and MA did say they are committed to improving it.

More than likely they're working on something awesome, a massive upgrade. All of this takes money, time and effort. Maybe it's 2 years away, who knows. I'll wait for more news from MA, and save my writing until then.

Although interestingly if they can make space a useful world with a lot more to do with more uses for space ships, then the need for interplanetary travel might not be as important anymore to the space economy.

Which means it opens the door to faster access to other PP's, maybe that's via the TP or chips.

We will see.

Rick

I'm not a fan of space but most other "ideas" I've read (and some "ideas" I've thrown around myself :laugh:) are way worse.

Space as it is is a lesser evil.

SHUHhQx.jpg

Personally I think space is great, if it was a viable option I would stay in space 24/7 - I think being part of a crew on a mothership or pathfinder etc when hunting can be great fun as I feel there is much more team work required than on planet hunting. Though for commuting to planets I could see how you could find that boring,but u can always use a warp flight...

It's slow, it's boring, and it hampers non-Caly development (and the game as a whole).

Option A (hunters) - you jump into a quad, point at a planet and go watch tv / make dinner for 45 minutes. Check on the game and find you got shot down by a pirate, repair your quad, point it at a planet and go do something else for another 30 minutes. In a world with limited time & attention spans, 45-90 minutes of travel time is unacceptable. Note in this scenario, all I want to do is go hunt on another planet. I'm not transporting goods, so MA have also lost out on my cycle time. (But wait! There's the 10 ped in ammo it took to shoot down the quad! Yeah right - my gun costs 29pec per second, 17.8 ped per minute. 800-1600 ped lost from making me fly - x.9 = 80-160ped rake).

Option B (rich/bored/lazy hunters) - you get a quad warp. 20-30 ped, with no in-game interface to find one. A new player who also happens to be rich? He wouldn't find #space_flight for a long time as it's not an official service. It's also still not fast - 5-10-15mins to wait for a pickup, 5 mins flight. You also still can't transport goods (weight limits), so unless I'm in an actual rush, I'd revert to Option A and go watch a movie.

Option C (recommended?) - mothership taxis. Looking for a way to spend up to an hour literally logged out of the game to transport your goods? Surely anyone can see why this is a bad system. They're slow, have the organisational issues with warps, and really only used for people without quads or who want to move items.

It's all broken. Even the situation that you have pirate ships, just camped by the popular space stations - because there's only 1 entry point per planet (in a 3D universe...). And that's just a glorified chat room nowadays too - the only players who carry loot are new players, which makes them quit after being looted, otherwise it's just another unnecessary roadblock to me spending actual peds on the actual game. In a skill-based game too, you have avatars which have had effectively zero ped spent on them, using the most powerful space craft.

It all hampers ped spend (hunters), trade (movement of goods), and even the games image.

__

The fix is so simple as well. You introduce interplanet teleports for players, but add a restriction - no lootable items can be transported this way. Anything lootable is deposited on the departure planet's storage. You can make them paid if you want (7ped), everyone would pay that.

You introduce the crates idea for auction orders - but create a new functionality - import/export. Within this screen, travellers can deposit their items and receive a token deed. On this deed, they pay a tax based on the value of the goods they are transporting. They can then pick a pilot (quad warp) or scheduled service (mothership) to move their avatar with the lootable deed.

Why the tax? Well, you create a new group of craftable items - interplanetary - which require (lootable) parts from all over the universe. No matter where you move/craft the goods, import taxes would have to be paid. You then remove the ability to log-off in space (you shouldn't be able to play the game by not playing the game). And what do pirates loot? Not the items - they loot the deed, which they can redeem the tax from. No-one should be losing hundreds of dollars unless they are transporting hundreds of thousands of dollars.

This fixes turnover rate (instant travel). It creates revenue and a new profession source (import trader). It stops the highly annoying encounters with role-playing weirdos ("POCKET CHECK! LOL PIRATE") when no-one currently carries anything anyway. It fixes a situation where players like myself (hunters, miners, crafters) playing the core game don't have to put up with a poor experience in space - be it from the buggy game or the angsty inhabitants.

Oh and if you're all wondering what possible crafted item could possibly drive good volumes of trade...

Consumable. Buff. Pills.

Why these are in the strongboxes and not manufactured I'll never know.

Why the tax? Well, you create a new group of craftable items - interplanetary - which require (lootable) parts from all over the universe. No matter where you move/craft the goods, import taxes would have to be paid. You then remove the ability to log-off in space (you shouldn't be able to play the game by not playing the game). And what do pirates loot? Not the items - they loot the deed, which they can redeem the tax from. No-one should be losing hundreds of dollars unless they are transporting hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Nice ideas, BUT, if Mindark does introduce this new idea/system I'd like to suggest/hope/wish that they'd also tweak the current system... where when you loot a blueprint on a non-Calypso planet that would under the current system end up being a 'typical Calypso blueprint' (that goes in the Calypso books) it'd be one of the 'new' blueprints in this new system instead... one of the main reason I don't think a lot of crafters move off of Calypso is because 8 times out of 10 on non-Calypso planets they are just looting Calypso crap prints that they already have dupes of, so what's the point in going to craft somewhere where the materials just cost more and the chances of looting non-Calypso blueprints are minimal?

It's slow, it's boring, and it hampers non-Caly development (and the game as a whole).

Option A (hunters) - you jump into a quad, point at a planet and go watch tv / make dinner for 45 minutes. Check on the game and find you got shot down by a pirate, repair your quad, point it at a planet and go do something else for another 30 minutes. In a world with limited time & attention spans, 45-90 minutes of travel time is unacceptable. Note in this scenario, all I want to do is go hunt on another planet. I'm not transporting goods, so MA have also lost out on my cycle time. (But wait! There's the 10 ped in ammo it took to shoot down the quad! Yeah right - my gun costs 29pec per second, 17.8 ped per minute. 800-1600 ped lost from making me fly - x.9 = 80-160ped rake).

Option B (rich/bored/lazy hunters) - you get a quad warp. 20-30 ped, with no in-game interface to find one. A new player who also happens to be rich? He wouldn't find #space_flight for a long time as it's not an official service. It's also still not fast - 5-10-15mins to wait for a pickup, 5 mins flight. You also still can't transport goods (weight limits), so unless I'm in an actual rush, I'd revert to Option A and go watch a movie.

Option C (recommended?) - mothership taxis. Looking for a way to spend up to an hour literally logged out of the game to transport your goods? Surely anyone can see why this is a bad system. They're slow, have the organisational issues with warps, and really only used for people without quads or who want to move items.

It's all broken. Even the situation that you have pirate ships, just camped by the popular space stations - because there's only 1 entry point per planet (in a 3D universe...). And that's just a glorified chat room nowadays too - the only players who carry loot are new players, which makes them quit after being looted, otherwise it's just another unnecessary roadblock to me spending actual peds on the actual game. In a skill-based game too, you have avatars which have had effectively zero ped spent on them, using the most powerful space craft.

It all hampers ped spend (hunters), trade (movement of goods), and even the games image.

__

The fix is so simple as well. You introduce interplanet teleports for players, but add a restriction - no lootable items can be transported this way. Anything lootable is deposited on the departure planet's storage. You can make them paid if you want (7ped), everyone would pay that.

You introduce the crates idea for auction orders - but create a new functionality - import/export. Within this screen, travellers can deposit their items and receive a token deed. On this deed, they pay a tax based on the value of the goods they are transporting. They can then pick a pilot (quad warp) or scheduled service (mothership) to move their avatar with the lootable deed.

This fixes turnover rate (instant travel). It creates revenue and a new profession source (import trader). It stops the highly annoying encounters with role-playing weirdos ("POCKET CHECK! LOL PIRATE") when no-one currently carries anything anyway. It fixes a situation where players like myself (hunters, miners, crafters) playing the core game don't have to put up with a poor experience in space - be it from the buggy game or the angsty inhabitants.

to option A : indeed it should be impossible to reach another planet with your own quad while doing something else, then people would stop trying and be less upset - clear sign why mindark should have adressed this issue with a proper space update much sooner

to option B: indeed not much point to search for flights in #space_flight when the 3 big regular warp transport services as well as most other service providers dont advertise in it - better try #space_travel the channel which is supported by all the major transport services with over 3200 players in it your chance is high to get referred to it if you just ask in any public channel

to option C: indeed it sucks to log out to reach a destination, big time mindark fixes the logoff (space-bypass) exploit used by the majority of players due to bad implementation of the space features anmd waiting to long to fix it. If people couldnt bypass space this way there would be alot more ships that are heavily upgraded and provide secure travels while ingame (something which is provided by my own service since 1st july 2011 at a 100% success rate - so yeah there is options ;) ). Besides those services who travel ingame without utilizing logout exploit are running warpflights much faster then trhose who rely on logout - therefor a regular warp can be as fast as a few minutes (far less then an hour).

additional point:
If hunters had no option of traveling to other planets by bypassing space then much more of them would either just cycle their peds on the planet they are or simply purchase a warp (which would in turn reduce warp price over time as there would be more passengers traveling same time) - in either case it would give each planet more separation and a stronger local economy.

to option A : indeed it should be impossible to reach another planet with your own quad while doing something else, then people would stop trying and be less upset - clear sign why mindark should have adressed this issue with a proper space update much sooner

Removing this would slow down the game further still. And see comments at the end...

to option B: indeed not much point to search for flights in #space_flight when the 3 big regular warp transport services as well as most other service providers dont advertise in it - better try #space_travel the channel which is supported by all the major transport services with over 3200 players in it your chance is high to get referred to it if you just ask in any public channel

to option C: indeed it sucks to log out to reach a destination, big time mindark fixes the logoff (space-bypass) exploit used by the majority of players due to bad implementation of the space features anmd waiting to long to fix it. If people couldnt bypass space this way there would be alot more ships that are heavily upgraded and provide secure travels while ingame (something which is provided by my own service since 1st july 2011 at a 100% success rate - so yeah there is options ;) ). Besides those services who travel ingame without utilizing logout exploit are running warpflights much faster then trhose who rely on logout - therefor a regular warp can be as fast as a few minutes (far less then an hour).

Exactly the type of shit I want to avoid. "My channel is better than yours". "My ships better than yours".

I don't care. I want it to be easy. Anything other than instantaneous is too slow, especially when we have teleports on planets, teleports from Crystal Palace, teleports from Space Stations.

additional point:
If hunters had no option of traveling to other planets by bypassing space then much more of them would either just cycle their peds on the planet they are or simply purchase a warp (which would in turn reduce warp price over time as there would be more passengers traveling same time) - in either case it would give each planet more separation and a stronger local economy.

Which is exactly what MA are trying to avoid. On the discord there are many new players who've never left their starting planet because they don't want the hassle of organising travel. If players just stay on their starting planet, how the hell are MA supposed to drive investment from new planet partners (and keep the current ones happy)?

"Join EU - where 99% of the playerbase are on the one planet owned by the game owners..."

(something which is provided by my own service since 1st july 2011 at a 100% success rate - so yeah there is options ;) )

Can I also point out this bit - 70% of the poll respondents want to skip space entirely. This would point out that you (and your fellow MS/Warpers) are not doing a good enough job, whatever channel you're in.

Subscribing...
:popcorn:

Oh, and as a greenhorn newb... I just want a hassle free, NO-risk, TP to other planets and back- with All my personal storage included.

Want me to go seldom? Charge me ~ 7PED.
Want me to go often? Charge me less than 7PED -- Round-Trip -- a lot less.

Can I also point out this bit - 70% of the poll respondents want to skip space entirely. This would point out that you (and your fellow MS/Warpers) are not doing a good enough job, whatever channel you're in.

i adressed that already in post #8:
I voted pro space for many reasons that i dont feel like explaining here again.
Just wanted to say that your poll question is biased since even if someone was pro space he likely would use a tp to another planet if there was one - this however doesnt mean that it would be good for the game nor the players longterm.
Its like asking would you use a special trade terminal that sells ammo at half the price of other trade terminals ?
Sure everyone would and soon after everyone would wonder why hunting loot got worse then ever - cause you cant loot what you dont spent ;)

Distance creates opportunities - teleporters destroy opportunities because they give everyone the false impression that they can be everywhere and do everything - but so can everyone else. And whenever something can be done by everyone it looses value.

I voted pro space and think MA should expand the development of it OR hand it off to another company to manage. There is much more potential that could be had if more time was placed on it's development.

As far as TPs go, the ability to go to another planet within this game has never been instantaneous. Even back with the old system, you either had to own the ship, pay the full 50 ped for the flight or wait for the spammer to fill the flight. Even after that it would take several minutes to complete the flight so lets not set an expectation that TPs will give Instant gratification. Even if they would extend the TP system to reach other planets, there would have to be some kind of delay built in and knowing MA, there would be the occasional transporter mishap which either places you on the wrong planet or just plain kills you and takes your ped. This plus there would need to be a great increase to the cost of TP use. I can envision a TP trip from Caly to Ark at around 100 ped with a weight limit (because MA is not going to want goods easily transported to other planets).

I voted pro space and think MA should expand the development of it OR hand it off to another company to manage. There is much more potential that could be had if more time was placed on it's development.

As far as TPs go, the ability to go to another planet within this game has never been instantaneous. Even back with the old system, you either had to own the ship, pay the full 50 ped for the flight or wait for the spammer to fill the flight. Even after that it would take several minutes to complete the flight so lets not set an expectation that TPs will give Instant gratification. Even if they would extend the TP system to reach other planets, there would have to be some kind of delay built in and knowing MA, there would be the occasional transporter mishap which either places you on the wrong planet or just plain kills you and takes your ped. This plus there would need to be a great increase to the cost of TP use. I can envision a TP trip from Caly to Ark at around 100 ped with a weight limit (because MA is not going to want goods easily transported to other planets).

They did it cost us 25 ped each way, this was subsidy for hanger owners. We had no issues traveling and we could carry what we wanted

I chose the tp option, too. If they want to make it extemely simple, just let us go from each planet to its space station teleporter, hop between space teleporters, and pay our 7 ped for going down on the other side. With or without loot and no, I don't want to hear anything anymore.

Everything else is just artificial obstacles with the sole purpose of trampling on our nerves as a disincentive. Please MA, screw it, scrap it. Everyone but a vocal minority hates it. You've allowed big business and big ego to inflate on it. Of course you created yourself a problem now if you want to change it, but this doesn't make players any more sympathetic.

However, if space were to offer more rewarding content and the entering into pvp area made voluntary, then there is a possible road to reconciliation. There would still be business for motherships. If I were to imagine a good time in space, I'd gather a team, hire a good ship and have it take us out for a hunting party and serve as a base to hunt with own vehicle or MS guns. If this proves attractive, it should compensate sufficiently for the lost business. Voluntary customers are happy customers. Forced customers are paying only grudgingly.

As far as TPs go, the ability to go to another planet within this game has never been instantaneous..

Yes it was instant for a while right before space came out full blown but when at PP still existed. Don't remember how long or time frame but it definitely was instant tp between planets. Think the Hangar owners got the tp fee... so system was already in place once. Just matter of opening up the code again and reimplementing it... story wise loss of that system was a step backwards in technology a few hundred years

They did it cost us 25 ped each way, this was subsidy for hanger owners. We had no issues traveling and we could carry what we wanted

It used to be 40ped not 25 - spaceships made it cheaper then it used to be...

It used to be 40ped not 25 - spaceships made it cheaper then it used to be...

Was it that much? It was years ago, maybe it was 25 ped that I paid for my first quad flight to Caly.

not sure how much it was, but it was nice to be able to planet jump even if it cost a bit... nowadays I hop in my quad and go on autopilot and go mop the floor, vaccuum, maybe do some laundry and come back in time to pay the 2 ped entry fee... a lot of wasted time (and annoyance due to ship decay when accidentally hitting mob spawns on autopilot, etc.)

Interesting historic thread over at http://www.entropiaplanets.com/threads/hangar-owners-the-long-wait.5786/

Back