Time to Bail Out on the Cry Engine

I like to believe that I'm usually pretty fair handed and reasonable.
But I'm gonna have to call that a troll post by someone with a vested interest in the smartphone/tablet industry.
Or, OR! Just written by someone without a clue, or has extremely low expectations of games and graphics.

All the vested interest I have in the smartphone/tablet industry is that I own both and use them more than my PC.

Also using cloud based gaming does not lower expectations of games or graphics it actually increases both due to the nature in which the technology is used. see explanation below for trance.

I think he means this type of service:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cloud-gaming.html

That's if I am interpreting his post correctly. And, if so - while I haven't done extensive research on it - it sure sounds expensive to run. Almost certainly far more expensive than MindArk would be willing to handle. And the problem with these services is the cost is likely to outweigh the benefit for the provider.

That is indeed what I was talking about. Cloud based gaming doesn't need to be more expensive MA already use cloud servers for some aspects of the game. Moving totally to cloud will save them development and conversion costs etc over the long run.

Oh man..
Cloud gaming is not made for games like EU. Maybe in 5 years we can talk about this theme, if smartphones really have a powerfull grafic acceleretor.
Phones and most tablets just don't have the same grafic shader technology as it is done for PC. if i will make a game, running on smarthphones and pc. then i have to use the lowest shader sheme of the engine, so it work at every platform.

Cloud gaming for a game like EU, would also need that you have a powerfull internet connection... way more power, as most ppl have by play EU on PC.

You also would get delayd interaction, and may rubberband moving. All pvp players would hate the cloud gaming. this is the main reason, why not use cloud gaming for EU. Games like EU are not ideal for cloud gaming!

* Your not understanding how the technology works. Cloud gaming does not require powerful graphics accelerator, or any other powerful processing technology. ALL the processing is done on the the internet server and only the final image produced on it is sent to the smartphone/tablet. Hence the smartphone/tablet and anything else you play the game on is just a "dumb" terminal it just displays the final image produced on the server. Every nanosecond or frame is produced like this so it works much similar to online streaming like netflix. Just like you can watch high resolution movies on netflix, you can do the same with cloud based gaming high resolution games streamed to any device including a smartphone.

* Wrong again the only powerful internet connection you need is the same as for netflix. So if you can watch netflix on your internet then you can play cloud based gaming.

* and you don't get delayed internet, rubber banding etc like I said if you can watch netflix films smoothly then you can do the same for cloud based gaming because ALL the processing is done on the internet server (cloud) and the results or graphics streamed to a dumb device you are playing the game on.

Okay, but this will be the one and only attempt, because your approach lacks consideration not only on the technical front:
* Your not understanding how the technology works. ...

* and you don't get delayed internet, rubber banding etc like I said if you can watch netflix films smoothly ...

Watching streamed content works with the laggiest connection, not to be confused with the minimum download speed you need. It requires only one request and occasional handshakes to be sent from the client side. The content is static and it doesn't matter if there is a delay in delivery. It gets buffered locally with as much pre-loading as necessary to bridge variations in your connection speed. You don't notice a thing of all this, except a little waiting time at the very beginning. A game where your input and the response need to be very tight together is a very different beast.

* Your not understanding how the technology works. Cloud gaming does not require powerful graphics accelerator, or any other powerful processing technology. ALL the processing is done on the the internet server and only the final image produced on it is sent to the smartphone/tablet. Hence the smartphone/tablet and anything else you play the game on is just a "dumb" terminal it just displays the final image produced on the server. Every nanosecond or frame is produced like this so it works much similar to online streaming like netflix. Just like you can watch high resolution movies on netflix, you can do the same with cloud based gaming high resolution games streamed to any device including a smartphone.

* Wrong again the only powerful internet connection you need is the same as for netflix. So if you can watch netflix on your internet then you can play cloud based gaming.

* and you don't get delayed internet, rubber banding etc like I said if you can watch netflix films smoothly then you can do the same for cloud based gaming because ALL the processing is done on the internet server (cloud) and the results or graphics streamed to a dumb device you are playing the game on.

oh wow...yea, let's cache online gaming and everyones movements and reactions :D netflix lol

next time I see you in PVP, with my slow internet, it's was already cached and you died.

Okay, but this will be the one and only attempt, because your approach lacks consideration not only on the technical front:

Watching streamed content works with the laggiest connection, not to be confused with the minimum download speed you need. It requires only one request and occasional handshakes to be sent from the client side. The content is static and it doesn't matter if there is a delay in delivery. It gets buffered locally with as much pre-loading as necessary to bridge variations in your connection speed. You don't notice a thing of all this, except a little waiting time at the very beginning. A game where your input and the response need to be very tight together is a very different beast.

Exactly this! It's the data transfer equivalent of renewable energy requiring storage capacity in the future ;), except that you really cannot buffer people's movement decisions before they make them. (Well, there is the term 'threading'.... but that's going to be cloud cuckoo land specs at busy places...)

I was trying to simplify for the people thinking smartphones don't have the capability or graphics to play live games over a cloud.

Also no I don't have a detailed technical knowledge of how this is implemented. I have however played playstation/pc type games over a cloud based system before. I played various games that were popular at that time on a system called OnLive and no there was no lag, rubber banding etc all the games played perfectly fine through a browser just as if you were playing them on a playstation or a pc and that was a few years ago.

So the technology is there, so to all those above taking jibes just because you are not aware of how it works you don't have to trash it. Perhaps better to find out for yourself how it's implemented if that's what your interested in.

@ George

Please, if you be so sure about cloud gaming, then tell us some games (MMO like EU) how is using this tech, and tell us how good you can play it!

I have my datas from game developers, about i be also one of those. And i wrote some adress in your thread, why it not work... but it seems you just know it better as a lot game devs know.

So bring up techical details, why you be so sure that a game like EU would run perfect with Cloud Gaming.

Oh and tell us, how you want interact on a phone without mouse and keyboard action keys.

You would not have any chance in pvp vs. a pc gamer, if you use cloud.

https://www.slashgear.com/nvidia-grid-revealed-to-change-cloud-gaming-forever-06263511/
***In a game:
1 you press a button
2 it travels to the server in 15~70ms depending on ping
3 only now the server knows what to render, it takes 10ms because GPUs are powerful, your HD frame is converted into h264 by the same GPU
4 frame travels to your tv in ping_offset+transfer_time : blurry calm image 20~80ms, detailed colorful shaky image with post effects (like crysis, bf, ac, cod, bioshock, or anything post-2010) 50~200ms.
On average your network-induced lag will be close to 100ms which makes anything but RTS genre unplayable. The video will be pretty and smooth, but your reactions will be postponed 35~270ms, late all the time. It's like playing drunk or with a numb hand.
Compared to that, on a local computer electronics-induced lag is in nanoseconds.
It's a nice technology to watch someone else play, or rather to watch them lose against players connected locally. ***

and
This will be unplayable unless there are servers within a few miles at least for FPS and racing type games - so say the laws of physics.
and
This is already being done by OnLive, though they just went through a massive restructuring a few months ago that indicates (to me) that this technology isn't quite ready for prime-time. The games are playable, but there's a very noticeable lag in the controls. A great idea in theory, but until ISPs improve their infrastructure and the latency drops, it's not very practical for serious gaming. And of course you're SOL if your connection to their servers breaks.

Last edited:
This is already being done by OnLive, though they just went through a massive restructuring a few months ago that indicates (to me) that this technology isn't quite ready for prime-time. The games are playable, but there's a very noticeable lag in the controls. A great idea in theory, but until ISPs improve their infrastructure and the latency drops, it's not very practical for serious gaming. And of course you're SOL if your connection to their servers breaks.

OnLive have been bought out by Sony so it's nothing to do with the technology not being quite ready.

The games were more than playable there was absolutely no lag when I played them via browser using OnLive. Absolutely no problems whatsoever no lag no rubberbanding nothing just fast responsive gameplay with high resolution graphics.

If you don't believe me I suggest you try a Cloud based gaming platform for yourself.

OnLive have been bought out by Sony so it's nothing to do with the technology not being quite ready.

The games were more than playable there was absolutely no lag when I played them via browser using OnLive. Absolutely no problems whatsoever no lag no rubberbanding nothing just fast responsive gameplay with high resolution graphics.

If you don't believe me I suggest you try a Cloud based gaming platform for yourself.

For more info, may this help to understand about what we talking:
http://www.howtogeek.com/160851/htg-explains-what-is-cloud-gaming-and-is-it-the-future/

Disadvantages to Cloud Gaming

However, there are some significant downsides to cloud gaming:

Video Compression – Just as videos we watch on YouTube or Netflix are compressed to make them take up less bandwidth, the gameplay “video” you receive from a cloud-gaming service is compressed. It won’t be as sharp and high-detail as what could be rendered by a high-end gaming PC. However, the compressed video you receive may look better than a game rendered at lower detail locally.
Bandwidth – Cloud gaming services require a large amount of bandwidth. Playing a game on OnLive may use more than 3GB per hour in bandwidth. If you have bandwidth caps on your Internet connection, this could be a serious problem. If everyone played games using cloud services, bandwidth usage would increase dramatically.
Latency – There’s no getting around it — games can react to your actions much more quickly when they’re running on your local computer. Reaction time is faster when your mouse movement just has to reach your computer than when it has to travel over an Internet connection, be rendered and compressed, and then travel back to you. Cloud-gaming services will always have more latency than powerful local hardware.
DRM – Publishers love the DRM results of cloud gaming, but many gamers would be at a disadvantage if cloud gaming became the primary way to play games. Just as it’s impossible for people living in certain areas to play always-online games like Diablo 3, cloud gaming would have even higher Internet connection requirements.

Last edited:

1. OnLive was bought by Sony to shut it down, since it was bankrupt by that time. Probably some interesting patents for streaming etc.

2. OnLive at it's peak had total of 1600 concurrent users online. Since there were so few users, I guess there were not many calculations needed to be done and your single player game felt fast and responsive. As from reading your posts, you seem rather slow in the head, maybe that random single player game felt fast and responsive for someone with reaction and brain capacity of a sloth.

Next time, since you don't know much about anything, take a minute and read. Homework is important! Probably missed that class in school.

If anything, cloud gaming is for "slow reaction" single player games and streaming. That's what Sony used Gaikai for.

And it is the lag that's bothering me the most. Because the recent spike in lag is exposing the really bad problems with the non optimized programming. I have been making a list of things that were kind of ok as long as there was no lag. And these little things all add up to make you feel like MA doesn't even play or else they would notice these things.

* If you equip a TP chip and then equip an armor set the TP chip just doesn't work. You need to re equip it after the armor resolves.

* When targeting and move to target - you can't rearrange your view until the first hit. Nor can you change your mind and select another mob - until the first hit.

* Select Next Target doesn't look around and consider the mob hitting you or the nearest mob at all only the next in some list that doesn't update.

* Loot pills don't scoop all the loot in an area only the mob you just killed. So if you died before looting the loot pill doesn't work when you return have to manually loot.

* Why can you select dead animals or your pet when trying to shoot?

* The sound of some mobs (and pets) is really incorrect and so loud and annoying you have to turn down the volume and then back up again after you leave. Gorillas, snablesnots and defense bots.

* How is it even possible that pushing on the forward key can lose focus? Happens all the time. The worst is in space if you try to chat and the thrusters stop. Barely noticeable if you happened to turn your volume down because of some other bug.

* In the crafting windows at the very bottom is a set of non working redundant forward back buttons. No purpose at all. Sure is annoying when you click on them expecting a result.

* When I browse on the AH sometimes I'll switch to another planet. Why is the next planets list on the same page number as I was on. And why can't the planets in the selection box have the same protocol for naming - why is the word planet there at all?

* In the TP selector on Arkadia why is Underground not a choice in the main list if we always have to go to the main hub there.

* Spawning a vehicle is so frustrating and annoying it should be red and tell you that you can't spawn in this position. Instead it does nothing and you have to go through the motions to try again sometimes like 20 times before it finds that magic spot - that could be fixed easily by code.

* Chat loses focus when doing anything else like opening an auction item or moving to the TP. Everytime it loses focus all the keys you press which open other items like the hof window or inventory need to be closed.

* If I drag an item from storage if i select another too quickly the other doesn't unselect and i end up moving the two items or more back. Need to redo that work.

* When hunting the dead mob makes a blue dot in the radar - if i loot and move forward the dot will stay in the window until i turn around and look - usually works to help you if you miss a loot but now your turning around for nothing - again and again.

* Challenge terminals and npcs have an exclamation point that sometimes is yellow sometimes is blue and sometimes not there at all - but doesn't connect at all with whether the mission is available or complete - just wasted code. Like on the attribute npc - why is it even there?

* And how is it ordered inside not alphabetic, not importance, not completed nothing - at least its not really different every time.

* If you open your inventory and drag an item to it before the lag resolves the order you had organized the whole thing is a mess. Again and again.

* When looking through a doorway how is it sensical that you can't target something until you have cleared the threshold. Might as well be no doorway at all.

* Need to relog on entering a planet still or who knows what is happening.

* Need to trade slowly or the trade window stops working need to close and redo and reopen the inventory because stuff disappears.

* Mobs can resolve below the paper thin surface underground can kill you and you cant see or target them.

* Can't see the status of your "space thruster" when your quad is deployed just like RL preflight checks.

* Browsing in a store that can't reside in solid computer memory is far from annoying its unusable.

* Getting stuck in a steep hill halfway down because you rezzed in before the mountain did is pretty bad.

All these nitpicky bugs are "not really broken" so they won't ever be fixed. The programmers obviously don't play at all because they wouldn't put up with even half of these bugs. I figure it has to be the engine itself that's making it hard work for them to see whats wrong.

So maybe that's all that's really needed. Programmers that are "required to play" (yes I am seeing a can of worms here) would be just as good or better than BETA testers. And someone has to do something about all this. A new engine would be a fresh start.

I still think there is a lot of goodness in this game. But now I'm too pooped out to think of any. :)

you seem rather slow in the head, maybe that random single player game felt fast and responsive for someone with reaction and brain capacity of a sloth.

Thanks for the complements, much appreciated :yay: (complement because my brain capacity is actually even worse than a sloth).

Next time, since you don't know much about anything, take a minute and read. Homework is important! Probably missed that class in school.

If anything, cloud gaming is for "slow reaction" single player games and streaming. That's what Sony used Gaikai for.

Have you followed your own advice and done your homework?

Here is an example of multiplayer onlive gameplay. As you can see it's not slow reaction and neither is it single player, so your negative assertions are simply not true.

@npv and trance

another multiplayer onlive gameplay (unreal tournament 3)

Again multiplayer onlive but commentary is interesting from someone who used onlive.

Onlive, ps3, pc comparison video

Dirt 3 on onlive samsung galaxy phone

using LiquidSky to play game on android tablet

you are linking videos that have clear sign of lag and latency issues...:confused:

I really don't understand your need to promo something that went bankrupt and died because of very simple reasons - cloud gaming with todays and tomorrows latency sucks ass.

OMG , just no !

when I play a game I want a nice big screen a nice clunky kb and a mouse!
my eyes would not survive peering at a smartphone or tablet and not just that the smartphone or tablet would not survive one of my bad loot tantrums ! :eyecrazy:

OMG , just no !

when I play a game I want a nice big screen a nice clunky kb and a mouse!
my eyes would not survive peering at a smartphone or tablet and not just that the smartphone or tablet would not survive one of my bad loot tantrums ! :eyecrazy:

With cloud based gaming you can potentially use any device so if you prefer to use a PC and big screen etc then you have that choice.

that went bankrupt and died

OnLive was one platform there are others that are currently up and running e.g. LiquidSky. If MindArk were to mark some kind of partnership with LiquidSky that benefits them as well as MindArk that would be for the benefit of the game as a whole and gives this game future security as well as us players to play the game on more devices.

Ability to play the game on any device irrespective of it's hardware capability opens the game up to potential new players e.g. casual mobile phone gamers which is quite a huge market.

Last edited:
With cloud based gaming you can potentially use any device so if you prefer to use a PC and big screen etc then you have that choice.

OnLive was one platform there are others that are currently up and running e.g. LiquidSky. If MindArk were to mark some kind of partnership with LiquidSky that benefits them as well as MindArk that would be for the benefit of the game as a whole and gives this game future security as well as us players to play the game on more devices.

Ability to play the game on any device irrespective of it's hardware capability opens the game up to potential new players e.g. casual mobile phone gamers which is quite a huge market.

like seriously now... who would play this on a smarthpone? except checking auctions or doing some crafting (which is already possible right now)?
the avatar movement will be a pain in the ass and nobody would hunt with it because its painful to coordinate.
better waste money somewhere else rather than in an engine change. i dont have much issues with this engine and id know like 100 other things to do first which are more important. nobody plays this game because it has nice ass graphics and in fact most of the games with nice ass graphics get boring very fast. rather focus on gameplay.

Once at CeBit (IT mess in Germany) I saw a client/server system that was running a graphics heavy game (think it was Colin McRae) at 1080p - without any lag whatsoever.
Most importantly, it was running on a thin client, a tiny box with less computing power than most our smartphones today.

So, i got curious. How did they manage this?
There was a respectable server rack few meters away and a fiber-optic cable between the two.
This is one way to make it work. Have super fast hi-quality uplink? No need to have a fast processor, shitload of RAM or powerful graphics card. You can do everything on the server and simply transfer the output to a remote screen.

Or, if you can't transfer this amount of data per second, you could always compress it. Latest video compression algorithms can do miracles to the stream size while still preserving the quality. Downside is, very few tablets today are able to decode this stream at full HD in real time. Your back to needing at least a decent processor.

That's why I think it's still a little early for the cloud gaming to become a mainstream. But it certainly could be sometime in the near future. Possibly maybe... :dunno:

Now, if I were to try to predict which way the technology will evolve (risky and thankless job :p), then--I'd 1st point out that prices of microchips are falling like rock. They'll most likely keep falling in the predictable future.
Means, u can have super powerful servers that are dirt cheap. It also means any tablet and smartphone can have super powerful processor and be dirt cheap. The processing power becomes cheaper on both sides.

What is having real hard time keeping up with the progress thou, is the internet speed--long distance uplink throughput and especially it's quality. Internet is a jungle that belongs to no one and ultimately no one is responsible for it. So lag most likely won't go anywhere as much as we can see.

Now, why would a smart guy design a system that relies heavily on the net? He could just as well go the opposite direction and try to minimize dependence on the connection, the weakest link in the chain.
I mean, I would understand if it's unavoidable. When dealing with big data, interdependent large systems, etc. But with gaming none of those apply. You're free to go both ways. So why choose the risky option over the safe one if there's no gain in profit, quality or reliability?

But if the prices of microchips won't keep falling, yes absolutely, then the cloud gaming would become the cheapest option and we would endure it's problems somehow. Who knows... I guess we'll see pretty soon which way it'll go. ;)

Last edited:
@npv and trance

another multiplayer onlive gameplay (unreal tournament 3)

Omg, look at the graphic... ouch!!!
There are noticeable lags too.

And now, tell me how the EU user interface with all the nice buttons we can create, should work on phones.
I will play with mouse and keyboard, and a high end crafic card, trough client / server tech like it is now. without getting lag.

Streamed grafic like it is into cloud gaming, have a huge compression. Thats why all the videos you linked have a bad grafic.

This stream compression V.S. normal PC grafic, is like day and night.

It needs more bandwith for streamed games, as for client server based games.

If a lot games get played trough streaming, the netbandwith (backbones in internet) would slow down for everyone.

P.S. I know how this game is looking into the unreal game engine developing tools (editor)
The grafic looks much, much better there. and same good grafic you have by using the standart tech (client/server). All the streamed games have compression in the video streaming!

here a video how it looks into the editor and trough client/server too (not streamed cloud gaming):

Last edited:
And now, tell me how the EU user interface with all the nice buttons we can create, should work on phones.

I would use a keyboard and mouse. You can already get these for mobile phones. For example I have a keyboard it works via bluetooth.

Also MindArk have recently stated they aim to make EU compatible/developed or something for Virtual Reality. If that's the case some of it's usability could be useful for mobile phones/tablets.

I would use a keyboard and mouse. You can already get these for mobile phones. For example I have a keyboard it works via bluetooth.

Also MindArk have recently stated they aim to make EU compatible/developed or something for Virtual Reality. If that's the case some of it's usability could be useful for mobile phones/tablets.

so you would like to sit at home looking at your mobile screen and use mouse n keyboard? you you wanne carry that mouse n keyboard around to play the game? why not just take a laptop or a netbook instead?

To answer the earlier reference to "Nvidia GeForce Now" it only works with devices with Nvidia Shield built in them. Also it's been out since 2013 so it's nothing new, just proprietary.

The company that some say started it all, but did coin the terminology.
http://www.gcluster.com/ - Bankrupt!

And a sample of a few other cloud gaming companies:
http://www.gaikai.com/ - ?successful? yet purchased (from 8 backers) by Sony and is now considered successful and their cloud service was renamed Playstation Now.
http://onlive.com/ - Bankrupt!
http://www.kalydo.com/ - was quietly bought and renamed http://utomik.com/
http://turbo.net/ - Bankrupt!
http://gamefly.com/ - Successful but it was never their primary service.
http://www.bigfishgames.com/ - removed their cloudgaming service to avoid bankruptcy
http://www.playcast-media.com/ - Playcast ended up "merged" into Gamefly.
http://www.ubitus.net/ - Still going, slowly
http://www.transgaming.com/ - Still struggling
http://www.instantaction.com/ - Bankrupt!

Basically the companies that don't end up bankrupt offer their services to stream to websites like Facebook, and Kongregate, etc.
So the next time you play League of Laughs or World of Things through some website and you experience the same lag as everyone else in game is complaining about... Well, now you know why.

FYI it's the ads or subscription that pay for both server usage and the bandwidth. Both of which will be kept on strict and thin budget to pay for maintenance and future upgrades and some profit.
Oh but I'm getting ahead of myself, read on.

OnLive was one platform there are others that are currently up and running e.g. LiquidSky.

Cloud gaming services are provided by making players watch ads, OR a monthly subscription.
LiquidSky requires an additional monthly subscription on top of gaming costs and is still beta. Subscription starts at $10/month.
It Starts At that price because it increases with the more virtual space you rent to install more games and to cover the cost of your bandwidth usage.

Cloud gaming at it's most fundamental is:
1. Running your game inside a virtual machine on their server.
2a. A Limited selection of games that have been pre-approved and installed -
2b. OR You are responsible to install and update everything on their server.
3. Servers then stream your game content to your tablet or other cheap hardware.

But what's them there fancy wordz mean???
Virtual space is real physical space on a server's memory card and it's hard drive backups.
Bandwidth is the amount of data going upstream to the server and downstream to your computer or in this case some cheapo-device.
And down-loading a game from scratch to your device every time you want to play uses bandwidth. Bandwidth is the speed of your internet connection from your provider to your cheapo-device and everything using your internet connection is making the amount of bandwith smaller and smaller. Think of it as a garden hose, then you add a splitter and the water pours out at half the speed downstream from both hoses at the same time. I won't even try explaining how to send water back upstream at the same time your using the garden hose because that'll confuse you, and yet that's a very simplified explanation of internet's bandwidth.

Could cloud gaming be magical wonder technology that aliens gave us from the future??? NO!
Is this cloud gaming technology something new? NO! Been around for 20 years!

So around longer if computer terminals and mainframes are considered early variations. ie. ref: Spacewar

Of course I could be wrong and would never ever ever want to contradict any CEO of IBM. :laugh:
- "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." Thomas Watson, president of IBM

Hey man, i don't want play eu on my phone, nor on my tablet.. I have a nice pc with nice grafic and no lag, why i should go a step back?

I be a gamer and game developer,. I am not a fanboy of tablets and phones.

They just need to code a client for phones (android and ios) thats all, if they want go that way.

Last edited:
Back