Help: Rework the hitbox system please

Angel O2 Mercer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
Angel O2 Mercer
Dear dev team,

Please, rework the hitbox system so that half the creatures stop being a pain in the ass to hunt. I think this issue has been left unfixed for long enough.

Here is a list of some examples, but a lot more creatures are affected. This is why I think you should re-do the whole system and not go one by one fixing specific mob.

This issue gets even worse with the Auto-Use hotkey, to the point where some creatures are just heavily ignored in what otherwise would be a more viable hunting option (rextelum, tide claw, every flying creature, ...).

@Ludvig|MindArk, please? :)

Thank you.

I have a sneaky suspicion that MA is intentionally making it happen as an anti-botting measure.

Readjusting the mouse? semi-annoying to players, but ineracting w/ a game is kind of what we signed up for.

However, bad hitboxes and now making avas walk direct to the mob without stopping until they "scope in"? Not nice for bots.

With the old-style hitboxes, next target, auto-shoot and now loot pills? Botting would be an ingame cinch. Almost no outside interference needed (and MA's TOS can't really ban folks for using ingame actions)

I have a sneaky suspicion that MA is intentionally making it happen as an anti-botting measure.

Readjusting the mouse? semi-annoying to players, but ineracting w/ a game is kind of what we signed up for.

However, bad hitboxes and now making avas walk direct to the mob without stopping until they "scope in"? Not nice for bots.

With the old-style hitboxes, next target, auto-shoot and now loot pills? Botting would be an ingame cinch. Almost no outside interference needed (and MA's TOS can't really ban folks for using ingame actions)

They should remove the next target option, i think that alone would stop most macro bot wannabees.

At least that would leave people who prefer to hunt 3rd person unaffected,

Let's focus on fixing the poorly designed hitboxes for 99.9% of hunters that are not bots.

:rolleyes:

This was fixed several VU's ago, seems to be working fine.

This was fixed several VU's ago, seems to be working fine.

not sure what game you're playing... :confused:

doing allophyl IC right now and they're a constant pain in the ass to target

They should remove the next target option, i think that alone would stop most macro bot wannabees.

At least that would leave people who prefer to hunt 3rd person unaffected,

I hunt with a controller, that would kill the game for me. :(

The answer wouldn't be to remove functionality. The answer is to put in traps and penalize those who are doing the action.

I've never had a problem with hitboxes, either in 1st person or 3rd person view.

I have completed the Iron / IFN on Rippersnapper, Allophyll and Oro that is currently listed in the opening post.

Cant you just drag healthbar and click on that or has something changed recently? :scratch2:

Yeah Allo can be pain to target, even worse, do prancers

I've never had a problem with hitboxes, either in 1st person or 3rd person view.

I have completed the Iron / IFN on Rippersnapper, Allophyll and Oro that is currently listed in the opening post.

Cant you just drag healthbar and click on that or has something changed recently? :scratch2:
Try that on Rextulum and see how well it works. ;)

I hunt with a controller, that would kill the game for me. :(

The answer wouldn't be to remove functionality. The answer is to put in traps and penalize those who are doing the action.

Yes true, must be other ways to figure botters.

Rextelum is one of the worst, the tail and legs make is so that you have to aim perfectly to their body but even if you do the claws get in the way during their attack animation and auto-aim kicks in every single time.

Even if you drag health bars, as I do all the time, you can see how much time is wasted in auto-aiming and avoiding empty spaces between the different hitboxes of the creature. You can also disable auto-aim but then you wont land some shots because the creature moved and you hit a space between hitboxes.

It has been a real mess for a while and needs fixing. The game is hard enough already without having to deal with buggy mechanics, it's supposed to be a fun experience...

Agreed!

Current system is made up of several different hitboxes for each mob and there's indeed empty spaces between them. With many mobs (not all), you can aim directly at the mob and still miss it completely.
The only workaround currently is to try to find a spot on the mob that won't become "thin air" during the mob's attack animation. Not an easy task with some mobs.
Which is not only annoying, it also breaks the immersion and makes the hunting experience utterly unrealistic.

You stand right in front of the animal, you can touch it with the barrel of your rifle, your aim is firmly at the center of it's body - and you can still score a total miss. This is true for Agro Elites on Caly and Kongs on Rock for example and there's many others. This is total BS, there's no other word for it... (and I don't mean the system message "Missed" which indicates your weapon is not maxed. No, I mean it's possible to miss as thou you were not aiming at the mob at all).

This is clearly a design flaw/bug. Bugs should be fixed.
There's other ways to fight the automated bots, annoying hell out of the normal players is not one of them.

i have never had an issue with a creatures hitbox when manually aiming. although ive never shot every single creature in game.

the issue i think is in the "move to target" feature, i think there is a default point your avatar aims at for each mob and this point needs to be moved closer to the center mass of the creature for alot of creatures; but not all.

its also quite loose, in that the "move to target" aims toward that point and then stops when it gets close detecting when the aim gets onto the creature but does not lock onto that point. as for the "hitboxes" and the "next target" features they work fine. its because of this issue i manually aim by hand the old fashioned way.

Yes, been a probelm for several years on certain mobs...

I remember several years back melee hunting things like allo and ambu would not work well at all since you'd actually be sucked inside of the hit box or behind it somehow, so you'd actually miss since the hit box was behind you sort of. They fixed that on a lot of mobs, but I don't think they fixed it on all of em, and some of that 'fix' that never came is why the mobs affected today still have actual hit box problems...

yes, auto aim and next target, etc. do work most of the time... but
Biggest Issue I've had with next target, last target, auto tool, and loot quick keys (just really started using these quick keys to actually do hunts several months ago - used to always manually drag out bars and manually click before that time - still do the manual thing on taming usually since otherwise you get overkill or auto tool too often after mob is dead or you'll keep auto shooting with auto tool when you really need to 'attempt tame') is that sometimes it is aiming at the wrong point as mentioned above... What I've found is that the 'wrong point' problem is actually worst when the last mob's body is still there on the ground next to you after you've looted it... it's like the system gets confused from time to time over where to put the point between the last mob and the next mob as to where the auto aim is... it's hit and miss as to how often that happens, but it does happen quite a bit. Luckily if you are just using the auto aim thing it'll not actually decay your weapon if the point is in the wrong time - just makes it annoying since there's a delay between time you looted last mob and time you loot next mob....

If it's the 'auto aim' part of the hunting that's the problem you wish to fix, I'm not sure it's really a hit box issue (although the hit box issue is still an issue - just a different aspect of the same situation/issue) - it's more like a mix of rubber banding issue along with the pathfinding algorithm to find the next mob issue...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinding

It is all tied together, but I think the pathfinding issue and hit box issue are really two seperate problems - but folks lump em together sometimes since they don't understand that there's two issues, well sort of... kinda confusing to even try to explain... unless maybe you've read some programming manuals on pathfinding algorithms... it does all tie in to the same big problem - Mindark needs to fix bugs and higher skilled programmers that consider all aspects of every bug in game instead of just always adding new 'features' and half ass fixing old problems.

Strangely, there is some bugs related to furniture that I think give me some clue as to what's going on with the auto aim thing... In certain circumstances I think the system's back buffer 'remembers' the last target when it's not there in reality because the buffer isn't getting cleaned out at the right time. Based on the way the gui/hud, etc. work I suspect that a lot of 'systems' in game are all accessing multi-buffers and somehow the system is forgetting exactly which buffer to go after...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_buffering

The true 'hitbox' issue is really a pivot point issue.
The pathfinding problem is more of an algorithm bug type issue...

It is all sort of tied together, but really different aspect of the same problem.

Last edited:
Yes that to :D, but if as suggested hitboxes fubar are to prevent botting then removing next target would be a better way:).

This would be throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Ok havent tried allophyl much but mobs i have tried since the fix has been working fine.
I allways use next target and select target with some manual movement of the cursor to the target for speed at times.

Not long ago I was meet a Teslapot while mining. This creature is absolutley unhuntable. The hitbox is so small, that you never hit it. No miracle, that some creatures not get hunted, if it is imposible to hunt, about a micro hitbox.

MA, please try to kill a Teslapot, if you don't belive me.

How a hitbox should be.

Here a picture of a normal hit box, used into unreal engine. It normaly is a bit larger as the model.

+100000

Another thing to rework is "next target". This system is so fucking messed up it's not even funny. During events I get randomly players targeted from other side of the map while im surounded by hundreds of mobs (this was on Monria). Or having it target mob 300 feet away while theres like 20 mobs on the way there.

I hunt with autoattack key1 and pick next target key2, using lootpills. So I can watch a movie on second screen while I pew pew these mobs. And it's annoying as hell to have so broken system.

Who the hell cares about bots in hunting? They spend money on shooting mobs like we do. Is there a difference between me shooting mob with mouseclick, autoattack or automated program doing it?

Sweating and ground picking bots are ofcourse another issue.

here an other example of a good working hitbox. How you can see, it is not a micro sized box, like it is into EU.

Most bad is a micro hitbox together with a moving creature (Tezlapod) impossible to kill now, except you want a lot decay just to kill a young.

And there are a lot more creatures with same problem. I don't think we ask for a such large box, like it is into my picture, but a bit larger it could be, so that we are able to hunt them. Especial if they move or jump.

Can someone who is in-game show me this Tezlapod issue?

I'd like 1 skin :)

Can someone who is in-game show me this Tezlapod issue?

I'd like 1 skin :)

go north of NewSwistzerland or north east, outside the LA's there.

go north of NewSwistzerland or north east, outside the LA's there.

Are you coming along ? If I do it without witnesses then its like "yeah maybe whatever"

Yall know how I feel about these shitty hitboxes for the last 3 years of rage threads I made on the issue.

They SUCK!

They are not fine like the know-it-all's claim...I have never pulled a tag in my life nor clicked on it it to shoot something and I never will.

They game worked fine for me for years, then one day, hitboxes went to shit, and I just deal with it now, but I still fucking hate it.

The amount of new players I have seen get turned off of this game because of hitboxes is huge. Try and click on a vixen or a skeleton or a spy kong or any fast moving cyrene mob or a tez or a rex or 50% of the remaining mobs and you will see what a pure rookie shit-job this games hitboxes really is.

This thread brought out all the anger I have every day when I try to shoot stuff. Sorry if it hurts your feelings but how MA has handled this is crap.

They told me that planet owners have the ability to fix hitboxes, BUT NO THEY FUCKING DONT!

It has nothing to do with anti-boting measures, that is crap. It all happened on an update long ago when MA said they were working on a body-part selection capability for damage for pvp or some shit. It's been fucked ever since, and a few caly mobs got fixed, but the rest that were ruined still suck.

I HATE THESE HITBOXES.

Fuck it.

Come show me the Tezlapod issue.

That would mean I need to go to Caly, and 3 years ago I vowed to spend as little time there as possible until the hit boxes are fixed.

Just go try and click on one manually when you are running around hunting fast, then go try a mob that works fine and you will see the difference.

Back