Favorite Board Games?

thoreau

Elite
Hiro Protagonist
I've been playing a lot of board games recently including Ticket to Ride and Pandemic.

Any suggestions for other games to explore?

Or any house rules you use when playing a game?

I used to love the old Games Workshop Space Crusade series

Payday was a favorite

CATAN and every expansion, it is all you need in life!!!

Warhammer Quest ... the original one, new one is more of a dulled down version

Monopoly
Hare and Tortoise
Risk

:)

Last edited:
Monopoly just had the original when i was young, 1000's different versions now.

Cluedo was also a fav, that has changed a lot too.

Construction game is a old one , but still fun.

King of Tokyo also fun , don't think its too old.

Hands down my favs are Chess and Backgammon ;)

Agree with Risk and Monopoly. Another game that I like is called "Cards Against Humanity"; pretty fun and funny (not a board game, but something to try out).

Catan, Titan, Scotland Yard, Axes and Allys, Backgamon, Diplomacy, Cicilization

There is a lot more

I like boardgames, thats just what I play most with my kids.

Monopoly hands down. Not the new ones though, the old school one

if you like Risk, you must definitely play axis and allies. One of the best strategic boards games available.
Several scenarios available.

if you like Risk, you must definitely play axis and allies. One of the best strategic boards games available.
Several scenarios available.

Yep. Axis and Allies is a great game, but just like risk and monopoly, make sure you have plenty of hours to set aside to dedicate to it since it can be time consuming...

For quick and dirty little games... can't beat Yahtzee or Dirty Minds.

Pictionary is also a fun one...

For the youngsters try out Heads Up (lot like pictionary but you have to ask questions about a card on your head) or Beanboozled (gross jelly bean game where you have lovely flavors such as barf or skunk spray you may end up with) https://www.jellybelly.com/beanboozled-challenge

If you are after mental games and/or have some slightly older young ones around... Battleship, connect four, and Dominos are classics... Want a bit more of a challenge - try Triominos or any of it's more recent variations...

Younger young ones - Candyland or Shutes and Ladders is awesome.

Classic card games are fun too - Hearts, Spades, Pitch, etc.

Stuck in a car for a long trip - try Rubick's Revolution https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubik's_Revolution

For plain party games try Twister, or good ol strip poker. :)

For those of us that love to 'role play' good ol fashioned pen and paper rpgs are fun! ;)

(I never played much D&D since I never liked the dark medieval tones of it, but some newer variations like D20 are ok... I usually stuck with Palladiumbooks games since they were cheaper and fun as they usually were softback instead of hard back... (SDC games like Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas and Superspies and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were the main RPGs I did a lot of in Highscool) or white wolf world of darkness (didn't really graduate to using White Wolf til my college days) if you wanted darker goth type stuff)

[way off topic]
(If you choose D20 or Palladium, stick with what you choose early on for the most part since it's a bit of a mental challenge to 'learn' the other system when you get used to the one you start with... Never liked the whole Thac0 stuff in D&D when I got used to plain ol 20 sided opposed roles and AR ratings as well as MDC/SDC type stuff in Palladium - MDC/SDC is a bit like in EU where vehicles have SI and TT values... Can't wait for EU to put an MDC type idea in to EU, - would never happen (with MDC - Mega Damage Capacity 1 MDC=100 SDC (Structual Damage Capacity), and SDC type weapons can't hurt any MDC stuff ever since it's just too tough usually, lol)

As for conversions - can't say too much publicly since Palladium hunts people down for that type of thing online, but usually it's pretty easy to do if you think about the math - 100%=20x5, so in a WOD type system where you have dots instead of percents, and 5 dots = near perfect, it's not hard to think of 5 dots as 100% (or 98% since in palladium nothing's ever 100% - maxed at 98% kinda like how EU's max is "90% according to most theories)... so one dot = 20% roughly, or whatever alt you choose if you just are going with pure 20 sided dice instead of throwing in the 10 sided too)...

[/way off topic]

Last edited:
or white wolf world of darkness if you wanted darker goth type stuff)

Not really a board game, but more tabletop roleplaying.
Nevertheless awesome! I have been storyteller for over 10 years :)
Vampire the Masquerade. Really my genre!

Agree with Axis and Allies and will add in Warhammer Fantasy 6th and 7th edition

Agree with Axis and Allies and will add in Warhammer Fantasy 6th and 7th edition

Warhammer would also be more tabletop than board game.
But how about bloodbowl as for a real boardgame?
really liked the competitions where you could "grow" your team.

I was hoping someone would say Ouija boards as they were originally sold as a game.

Monopoly is ok but it depends on if your playing against a bad loser who'll flip the board over if they're losing. Or if they're bad winners - I try to avoid playing board games with certain members of my family.

I once got accused of buying my own trivial pursuit set to memorise all the answers :) because I was answering correctly "too often".

Last edited:
Get the right people together and I'll recommend BattleTech 2nd Edition Box Set
or imo any pre-clan era matches/player made games/scenario packs :D

Honorable mentions:
Risk, Axis & Allies, Monopoly, Clue/Cluedo, Go/Othello/Reversi, Trivial Pursuit,
+for kids of all ages Hungry Hungry Hippos

Last edited:
Great games mentioned by all.

I guess I've been playing a lot of the 'new' generation of games?

Ticket to Ride - Pandemic - Dixit - Forbidden Island - 7 Wonders Duel.

Catan is on my list to get next. Word is it tends to take over your board gaming life.

Scrabble, Aggravation, backgammon, and does dominoes count as a board game?

Monopoly?
eu-monopoly.jpg

I know, it's not finished yet :D

Cards against Humanity is awesome.

Does "Crossbows and Catapults" count? We played the hell out of that growing up.

Axis and Allies, Cid Meyers Civilization both great games

have played Dominion a few times recently and really like it, would like to play it more.
(perhaps technically a card game, its still great)

Back