How come Entropia is not more popular?

Status

aVaLON_52

Elite
Society
ᴄʀɪᴍꜱᴏɴ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟꜱ
Avalon Butterfly Erupter
Just general convo here; feel free to type anything.. nothing formal.

I often wonder why Entropia is not more popular.. like.. more popular than *other games*
I think that's obvious; don't want to specify other games and get this post removed.

Is it because of lack of advertising?

I think I'm like.. normal.. and intelligent.. and I think this game is like the best MMO out there.
In terms of "everything"
I mean - taking everything into consideration; not just graphics and gameplay alone.
taking into consideration the fact that it's cash-based economy.
I think the cash-based part would tip the scale every time in comparison to other MMOs...
how come everyone else doesn't get it..

I feel like.. no subscription fee.. is a perfect reason to at least give Entropia a shot.

(maybe this belongs in the blog section - but no one ever reads that..)

I'm not saying Entropia's dead - I know it's not.
But I do think that the community is small in comparison to other MMOs...

example.. we all know who the Elites are in this game... we see them at the top of like every event.

the noobs are all on their own level (a small community of their own.. sweat parties etc)

on an optimistic note..

I think we have a cool president of virtual reality..
I'm hoping there will be some positive change..

Maybe Entropia enters another phase..

such as.. a VR phase.. or something.
like, let's say VR takes off.. maybe Entropia is the big platform that really dominates that market. idk.

I know there's also a lot of haters and pessimists that even play this game.. I hear a lot of trash talk in the background.. people complaining about the imperfections of the game since they started playing.

I hear that, yet.. I don't think there are all that many issues really.
I also feel MA deserves a little more credit for their work.

Perhaps I'm just hooked on EU.. but to me. This place is in a way, my home away from home.

We would have thousands of new users if we had vr support. There are no vr mmo yet.

I agree with the bugs, personally I don't see too many.

i think this forum is responsible for lack of new players,potential new players will check out info at entropia first,and when thye come here they see so much negativity

hey ! don't insult helena

i think this forum is responsible for lack of new players,potential new players will check out info at entropia first,and when thye come here they see so much negativity

This is indeed one part of it for sure.

One of the reasons I almost never post.
I just read now and then, and when reading most threads I think there we go again :laugh:

@ fluske same goes for twich , you are on a channel a new guy comes asking about the game , what answer he gets "you better don't play the game" if u say u do oke... "what you did 10 years sweating?" we wont be able to do anything about this mentality ! I gave up ...when ppls spend their money they won't listen to any advice :)

becouse its RCE, thats make it very expensive to play if you want to do fun staff, and ppl who play games in most cases want to chill out and not have another work

That's quite easy to solve.

Many other games offer much more fun for your spent money.

Sure you can earn some real money in this game, but this is very hard to do so for the casual player.

Also the graphics, the gameplay, the content, the animations, the limited supply of clothing, there is so much to name are several lacking compared to other videogames out there.

Because of these all other more intense worked out videogames, people are adjusting their levels of what is the new norm.

I also think Mind Ark is lazy. They do not have a youtube channel to show any updats or content, they have no twitter, no facebook, they are not networking enough to get in touch with more people.

Advertising your game isn't enough these days. Also I remember the Entropia advertisement being somewhat.. low.. it didn't catch my attention.

Well Entropia is listed as an MMO. So the main influx might come from people that have at least minimal MMO experience.

The problem I see is that most people with a gaming history mentioned above do not get at once that your budget is rendering your range of activities here. The generic MMO formula

grind->get better toon skills->get better better equipment->grind again...

will eventually lead to "I have to pay tons of cash to play this game" scenario which isn't unexpected due to the sub zero sum game structure of entropia.

Regards

Isaac

becouse its RCE, thats make it very expensive to play if you want to do fun staff, and ppl who play games in most cases want to chill out and not have another work

imho... RCE.. all the more reason to play (the RCE game as opposed to the non-RCE game).... (especially opposed to non-RCE games with a monthly subscription)

in the RCE game when all is said and done.. well.. yes it is possible you lose money.. however, that is also possible in non-rce+subscription game..

um. you can walk away with your investment and possibly more.

imho... RCE.. all the more reason to play .
i think for most of players it can be reason to not play, in other games you pay once and do whatever you want, here there is no limit of cost

i think for most of players it can be reason to not play, in other games you pay once and do whatever you want, here there is no limit of cost

naturally I want to reply

yes, but there's *no obligation to pay.. and no subscription*

but then I'm sure you'd say something along the lines of..

then then you would just be a naked sweater and the game would be boring as hell...

my response would be..

*point taken*

The game has a narrow audience. Making it a real-cash economy is an automatic turn-off for a large part of the gaming population. Yea yea, you can play for free... but that's bullshit and we all know it. You can't enjoy this game without a fairly significant investment.

If you strip away the "win real money" factor... the game itself is not worth playing. The mechanics are terrible, the gameplay is dreadfully bland (I've literally fallen asleep hunting before), there's copious bugs and flaws, etc. I can throw a dart at my Steam collection and hit a more fun game - I login here every day for the swirls. I'm pretty sure that's the main reason we all do.

Well Entropia is listed as an MMO. So the main influx might come from people that have at least minimal MMO experience.

The problem I see is that most people with a gaming history mentioned above do not get at once that your budget is rendering your range of activities here. The generic MMO formula

grind->get better toon skills->get better better equipment->grind again...

will eventually lead to "I have to pay tons of cash to play this game" scenario which isn't unexpected due to the sub zero sum game structure of entropia.

Which is why EU should be marketed to non-gamer audiences. Or at least old TBS players because those on average do quite well here. :)

I often wonder why Entropia is not more popular.. like.. more popular than *other games*
I think that's obvious; don't want to specify other games and get this post removed.

Is it because of lack of advertising?

Cost to play is our best advertising property.

For other mmorpgs you are forced to pay 20$/month.
Here we don't have such problem, you can play for free and buy cheap in game weapons for 10.000 $, various healing tools for up to 50.000$, for 5.000$ or similar sum you can have also invisible armor or some fast space vehicle like firebird, Ferrari or even privateer and mothership. You can obtain also other good tools like finders and unlimited amps almost for free (xx.xxx$), you can play eco by spending from 100$ to 3000$ each day.
And remember - you play for free, you are not forced on subscription!

naturally I want to reply

yes, but there's *no obligation to pay.. and no subscription*

but then I'm sure you'd say something along the lines of..

then then you would just be a naked sweater and the game would be boring as hell...

my response would be..

*point taken*

lets face it, grinding mobs its boring as hell, and most gamers is looking for action, the RCE game just dont fit into most gamers taste

I would think that most people don't have the patience, and the reasons why we play is really specific and a hard sell (at least to my fiends).

I would think that most people don't have the patience, and the reasons why we play is really specific and a hard sell (at least to my fiends).

and the reason is diffrent for any of us, so any new player have to find it himself

This isn't a typical MMO.

Most of the cookie cutter MMOs now have the same formula. Free to play > Cash shop for nifty looking items and clothing that sometimes give you an edge over the competition but not really anymore > a story with missions that fit in the story line > an end game > level cap > social raids and grinding adventures > somewhat different events.

Everything in the EU is a do-it-yourself with the same event plastered with a different name on it every other month. The small story and lore that existed in vu9 and earlier is all but eradicated. The missions and quests are just grind missions that alter nothing in the universe. It doesn't appeal to the casual gamer.

This is a universe created for investors and gamblers who like to game and it gives them a nice avenue to do it in.

At the end of the day, it appeals to small niche group.

Here we don't have such problem, you can play for free and buy cheap in game weapons for 10.000 $, various healing tools for up to 50.000$, for 5.000$ or similar sum you can have also invisible armor or some fast space vehicle like firebird, Ferrari or even privateer and mothership. You can obtain also other good tools like finders and unlimited amps almost for free (xx.xxx$), you can play eco by spending from 100$ to 3000$ each day.

Pay to play more like :D unless you like sweating or finding fruits then yeah its free to play for the bulk of people.

I am totally against even trying to VR this game. If they really want to then MA will have to rethink the whole platform. Which is what I really really want.

As for popularity, I think the main problem is initial retention.

People start to play and see what its like, but if they don't get interested before any "investment" they are free to leave and often do. I did. It was a full rage quit. But failing to regain interest in WOW I came back ( I also feel this game taints your expectations in a huge way) and now I can't get interested in any other game . I'm thoroughly hooked on this game but it's a love hate relationship.

Once people start investing time and money in entropia universe then they have a greater chance of staying. Sweating is an investment. Depositing seems a bit stronger than just an investment. And buying something big like land area, or land plot or even a store - seems more like gamer retirement plan. After this you won't leave unless you cash out.

The next hurdle is the complexity and misdirection, if they can get by that (either getting right into it or ignoring it completely) then they'll likely stay. The more skills they get into their avatar the more value it has and the harder it is to abandon. It's not like other games at all in this respect. Your avatar really becomes an extension of yourself and each level of solved complexity is immensely satisfying.

Then the next hurdle is the bullcrap, the greed and thieves and piracy (not really talking about MA here sorta). I think this is the worst part of this game. Once you accept this as part of EU life then you can take steps to TRY to protect yourself. I can't help but feel that MA is actually not only condoning the behavior they are actively supporting it. This is probably a result of their investment in mind control (hay is my hat shiny or crinkly) where an angry player may be more likely to depo to try to gain that "unreachable" advantage.

And the final realization that if it doesn't cost a retarded amount of PEDs then its not really going to give any advantage. My own first big gun Hk s1x1 put me into an entire different level. New things discovered galore - how much time I spent as a nubee seems moot. I learned a lot tho. Had to start over I'd seriously just get the 25k gun first - then the skills to use it - then the armor and the faps - I can see why the ubers look down on us - sweating for less peds than the electricity costs to run the computers we play on!

The three main types of players are the nubees trying to figure the game out, middlings like myself that worked dam hard figuring it out and Ubers who are so far ahead it seems they must be cheating (and usually all because they know something you don't)!

Each stage provides plenty of reasons to leave. Easy to talk yourself out if it when you remember what you put in.

Last edited:
A good question on why this hasn't picked up more. I can see a couple reasons on why more people haven't caught on.

First one would be, to do 99% of anything in EU requires PED. I see a lot of gamers, that care about value for their entertainment, would rather buy a $60 game every few weeks that give them hundreds of hours of gameplay maybe even 1k hours for basically $60.

Other games or MMOs give perks for those that spend money to get a boost over others. So gamers are willing to spend $1k+ over time if the MMO is worth it to them cause in the end, doing "dailies" still won't cost them an extra penny or they don't have to pay a dime extra after initial purchase/subscription to grind for gear, loot, etc.

It is tough for someone new to consider putting in $100 a week, month, or every 3 months just to hunt (even if eco as possible) the returns are not attractive enough to hook someone in. Yes, they can see the global ticker showing off random 1k PED atrox youngs and EP HOF's but that will get some new players to try to rush to buy a bigger gun to kill an atrox and wonder why they lost 900 peds in a few hours lol.

It does take a different mindset to join a "game" like EU cause it's not really a game, it's a RCE with pixels where you try to minimize losses in hopes of hitting big during your eco runs or gamble big on something you know you'll lose hundreds of PEDs fast if you don't get a good size HOF.

The grind is tedious as well. One just stands there and shoots, we don't have to actively dodge in PVE since it's skill based - Some gamers here will find this on the boring factor.

PVP some skills are required but you really cant compete unless you have high HP (having that much skill to have high HP will probably cost more than the gear combined), big armor, big guns, big fap. So new people just trying out the game probably wont want to waste too many PEDs once they see that the Bravo Sniper gun wasn't going to be good enough to kill someone at the Oil Rig. So there goes $50 of wasted money thinking that was going to be an entry-level gun to participate in PvP.

Also in most MMO's it just takes about a few weeks or months to reach high levels to take on bosses or high-end PVP. in EU, unless you have a fat wallet, it could take years or could never be obtainable. So there goes a % of playerbase in that regards as gamers will feel like the amount of time/money placed in the game isn't showing enough return in value/entertainment to keep depositing.

Suggestion regarding PVP, I believe there should be a more penalizing rez timer for each time you are killed within so many minutes. Shouldn't be able to just join a the fight within a minute after death over and over. Only brought that up since it's just something I noticed while watching streams.

Also I do sometimes say in twitch chat how you better not bother with this game, UNLESS you have patience, discipline, some bankroll to support it. I tell new players that talk to me in-game to not worry about the Ubers being able to hunt the ATH-mobs and how they feel left behind only hunting Puny's. Everyone can have their own budget/goals and still be satisfied. I finally have an EU goal that I plan on reaching eventually and I hope newer players read up or ask good questions to really understand what is required to be able to enjoy your stay in EU.

But remember "if you play smart and stay eco"..you will have all that :)

cuz ppl expect ingame activity to be sustainable. Like they've bought starter pack, got some ingame currency, did hunting/mining/whatever and sold stuff. They expect to be able to obtain better stuff using ingame currency to help them progress to higher levels, get even more stuff and so on.
They see "free to play" label and thinks that things are going to be just like in every other MMO they've played so far.

Okidoke :). I think the success of an RCE has to be similar to the phenomenon that most people think they have above average driving abilities (or rather that after learning/skilling they will play at above average skill).

We all know that MA has to make a living and pay its costs, so a player who profits needs not only to be better than average, but by a margin which beats the rake by the house/bank. This is where mu comes in, especially skills mu. Most people are happy to be enjoying the game and pay in more or less regularly. They are not making plus tt, but are gaining skills steadily which they think will bring some payback if they ever decide to stop playing. As long as the snowball doesn't melt, this is indeed possible, and people trundle along thinking that although they are not directly winning, at least they are better than average. Some are, some aren't, even fewer are above the rake line, but what the heck? As one person puts it: why so serious?

That other games still don't try this model? I dunno, but if they do, then MA will need to improve very fast indeed in my opinion.

Are the servers back up yet? ;)

:wise:
Entropia is not popular because MA is greedy as hell and it shows
The decay on everything everywhere in the game is absurd
The 90% success rate on crafting turning into 35% when you actually do 500 clicks is absurd
The fact that I can be selling 125% markups and still come out behind is absurd
MA should be profiting mostly from equity and people hoarding stuff not from dumbass 90% returns on everything everywhere and having to pay $50 to repair armor that got melted from their infinite lagfest server, waiting 5sec between shots while mobs melt my armor and they want real money to repair it, how about you repair the damn servers.

In general, the RCE baits people in and then pushes them away, MA got too hung up on the idea of TT value and forgot about making an actual economy, they just freak out about the real cash part and forget the rest so if you want to play a game and make money you're better off playing literally any other MMO and selling gold.

I'm one of those rare people that actually enjoys the game I guess. My avatar will be 10 years old this year. I'm still a mid-level player, as I have chipped out twice (not because I didn't love the game). Sometimes I gamble a little on crafting, but mostly I try to play as eco as possible. When peds are low I go exploring (still), visit other planets, skill on my lower end weapons on smaller mobs (thank you Arkadia for being the best planet for someone low on ped), heal sweaters, help out a newbie, look for stones and fruits while sipping coffee, etc. I don't find the game boring at all. I used to be more of a grinder, but I've found I like to jump around and do different mobs now. I like having my panda around, not to use her to fight another pet, but just because she's cute (nice job MA hitting my little kid buttons with fluffy animals).

I do miss the old Entropia pre-2009 a lot. I used to sweat for half my gear and be very successful (6 ped/1K), but times change. The environment is lovely. I think the landscapes are beautiful and creative. I love just driving new players around and "hearing" the "oohs" and "ahhs".

I miss when we used to all be on one forum. I wish we could have that again. I don't see us as separate planets with drastic differences in need for information and social interaction. I think we should all be together chatting about everything and exchanging info across the Universe.

Anyway, I guess I'm a fanboi (41-year old woman here), but really I don't care. As long as EU is around I'll be playing well into my retirement.

1. Gameplay and missions are still too boring.
2. Nothing fun for newcomers: events or loot.
3. PVP is too exclusive and expensive for most; the only gameplay which is fun.
4. Calypso lore and 'feel' destroyed by other planets and items which don't fit; mostly rocktropia items.
5. Calypso storyline needs expanding and integrating into general gameplay.
6. Buff items made becoming an elite player more expensive than ever.
7. Buff items made DPP gap between newcomers and elite player too big.
8. Explosive BP obliterated markup.
9. Planet / Player owned land areas: short sighted quick buck that ruins hunting options.
10. Deeds, short sighted quick buck that has ruined activity.
11. Compets: development of Calypso and Entropia Universe has taken a backseat.
12. Conclusion: too much focus on investors and quick profit over the player experience.

Status
Back