How come Entropia is not more popular?

Status
unfinished projects is the biggest issue in my opinion, following on from statues and stables, there is gardening, space, rings decay & taming come to mind. these make jumping on new updates a risky and possible PED waste.

but its possible it may all change, just need an interested intern

couldn't agree more. lots of reasons were stated in those current discussion threads already, i think it can be summed up, that its mostly mindark's own fault.

examples:
imo worst possible communication with playerbase
not sticking to their own roadmap
not able to keep their timeline, always underdeliver or publish unfinished
not keeping their promises, like selling stuff without delivering (stables,statues?)
ignoring most of the player's wishes, they're not even asking to know. silently reading one forum isn't asking for opinion.
developing or changing stuff noone wanted or asked for, instead of finishing things they promised long time ago
heartless VUs with lots of copypaste and quality issues, like wrong item stats and stuff
continuous inability to sustain a healthy economy in their own fookin universe
removing functionality, like reducing itempoints of already existing appartments (caly)
changing existing mobspawns and teleporters, and not updating their daily mission descriptions (caly)
pissing off well paying longterm customers
making most of us feel like they don't care

please forgive me, but that's my opinion. i love EU and hate mindark, and i don't see to change that anytime soon...

yup yup yup yup and yup
also controlling the narrative by banning people from speaking negatively on the forum and threatening them. I for one have a really hard time to justify any further depositing. I don't even like the dam game any more. Waiting for some sign of life from the devs. waiting waiting....

I do get tired of spending all day just finding my spawn before hunting it. I'm not sure how all that delaying of my outlay of ammo is helping Calypso profit.

As a side note, Northeast-Central Arkadia is gorgeous.

The recent threads in this forum (and in another forum) revealed some very negative stuff that was suspect by many others.

At least one long time depositing player is selling out due to that (it was stated in the initial sale thread itself) in this forum.

And this is not the first time this has happened. And there are countless other blogs and web sites with similar negative information about this game.

When someone googles info about this game, there is a very high chances that some of that sort of info will also be present in the front page of the search results as well.

There is only the rare positive news about this game, and usually it happens when some new record for a sale or uber loot is set. As such, negative news about this game seems to outweigh the positive.

So, why wonder why Entropia is not more popular?

LOL

So, why wonder why Entropia is not more popular?

LOL

My take on it is that the oh-so-clever marketing algorithms tend to find people who already know about EU. Plus, even players who love EU seem to have enough areas of dislike to not want to recommend it to anyone else.
Assumption on top: many people who try EU do not stay very long. Those that do stay longer only just about manage to replace more advanced players who leave because of whatever their own personal "last straw" is.

Result: EU rolls along and just about gets by while development efforts get wasted on this, that and whatever else we didn't even ask for.

Anyone for space update, pets update, land plot functionality, harvesting update (seeing as we sort of have it despite not asking for it...) etc...?

From page 2 in this thread...

I want regular sandbox progress as it had up to 2005
Game ran on lower spec machines

Kill a thousand mobs to get a puny amount of skill while paying a thousand dollars to do so - that's not a quest, that is a punishment

People are used to sandbox meaning their time spent is the price paid to get to a great gear score - plus a monthly fee.

It simply lacks just about *everything* to have mass appeal

Time spent or quest grind will get you nowhere - nor a small monthly input
a burst of activity and you wasted $15-20 worth of monthly fee activity
an hour of fun at the start of the month...then what?

The game runs some serious graphics which doesn't seem to do a lot to get pvp or pve more fun, just another prohibitive wall to traverse and random client side lag/line of sight/mob evade so you can zoom all the way in for a screenshot of your jacket texture. Initially it looks pretty, of course. You go Ohh pretty! for a day. Nice texture! Sadly at the cost of random fps dips just going through a patch of woods, sometimes to the effect of seeming like a power-point presentation slideshow fps. Okok, not quite that bad but you lower your graphics and move on, right? Rendering the top max ultra settings useless for anything but screenshots. See 99% of streaming and video and it's not pretty.

On top of *this*, you have a few poor choices in less player interaction crafting TT mats and opening store lotto boxes for buff loot - instead of making the lotto boxes lootable extras and having crafters buy mats from miners and hunters. Steps in the wrong direction, removing player interaction and making the place seem less populated than it is.

Opening lotto boxes is the most moring gameplay video streams ever. Bad move.

One great addition is global rookie chat. Feels more like a regular MMO. Makes the place feel populated. Step in the right direction. Just wish it was moderated with a right-click to report the worst of the vile things some people spew from time to time.

just new channels to penetrate, just have active social media channels: facebook, twiter, youtube

The game it's probably most inteligent game ever made by now, it's RCE so it's possible to spending for fun or earning for pro or just be around to social for free, as your choise, if you belive other ganes are cheaper you're wrong, today most of games have to pay a lot of real money for equipmensts, buffs, special in-game features etc , much more than you lose inb a hunting session for fun.
The real lack it's in two sides:
one- just new channels to penetrate, just having active social media channels: facebook, twiter, youtube;
two- Today 92 % of people using smartphone or Tab instead of only 8% using PC , so MA must think to make EU full playable on android/IOS

Meanwhile, there is such a good timeframe for a competitor to appear, consider the following:
1. Fukken steal commercial grade game engine
2. Steal open, expandable world idea that had been already marketed successfully such as Blame! manga (and now also animation movie)
3. Implement own DHT network, own simplified garlic routing based on excellent prior works.
4. Make own blockchain to distribute game data and messages across the DHT, make it's proof of work mining to reward distributed game data storage, processing, sharing bandwidth for DHT and actual gaming.
5. Game stuff has TT nominated in that cryptocurrency. Loot/jackpot as usual.
6. Integrate distributed trading of any other cryptocurrency directly for this game currency and items.
7. Allow establishing marketplaces trading RL items and API for interaction with RL gadgets
8. Never break from darknet paradigm.
EDIT: Also please do not introduce any censorship, gamemasters or janitors or whatever. Make it community regulated ahahaha.

one- just new channels to penetrate, just having active social media channels: facebook, twiter, youtube;
two- Today 92 % of people using smartphone or Tab instead of only 8% using PC , so MA must think to make EU full playable on android/IOS

The 92% of those could play Compet or Entropia auction via phones.
A game like entropia is not so easy to port to phones, except they write a new version for this, what is not easy to do, so it is synchron with the normal game for PC.

There are games for phones and there are games for PC/desktop. Entropia is a game for PC. :twocents:

A 3D version isometric or 2D + style runescape will have been quite suitable to continue its adventure during these displacements to tablet/smartphone

A 3D version isometric or 2D + style runescape will have been quite suitable to continue its adventure during these displacements to tablet/smartphone

Why going 3 steps back :eyecrazy: Do you think i would play a such bad looking isometric or 2D game. I bought a pc and a nice grafic card for developing 3D games and for play 3D games like Entropia is. ;)

So, as a dev i can say, also such games are not realy easy to make. Especial, if they need to be synchron to what we have now.

Wit synchron i mean, that this would need a team more for MA, just to dev on a tablet/phone version and to the same time also at the pc version. Both games would need to be synchron with content.

Do phones have a large memory like a pc, do phones have a nice high end grafic? NO, not yet, maybe in 5 years, but then a normal pc game would also run on those machine's. Your pocked mini PC never can hit a Desktop :)

Real players play on desktop or consols.

Why going 3 steps back :eyecrazy: Do you think i would play a such bad looking isometric or 2D game. I bought a pc and a nice grafic card for developing 3D games and for play 3D games like Entropia is. ;)

So, as a dev i can say, also such games are not realy easy to make. Especial, if they need to be synchron to what we have now.

Wit synchron i mean, that this would need a team more for MA, just to dev on a tablet/phone version and to the same time also at the pc version. Both games would need to be synchron with content.

Do phones have a large memory like a pc, to phones have a nice high end grafic? NO, not yet, maybe in 5 years, but then a normal pc game would also run on those machine's. Your pocked mini PC never can hit a Desktop :)

Real players play on desktop or consols.

Personally I have to buy a laptop or there is only EU to install :laugh:, but I mean as an alternative example of the instances tablet or other that will allow not to have to synchronize the whole game. Just to extend his game off his desk

Personally I have to buy a laptop or there is only EU to install :laugh:, but I mean as an alternative example of the instances tablet or other that will allow not to have to synchronize the whole game. Just to extend his game off his desk

We have a app, doing this :) but only auction and craftiong there ... LOL

It is not craft currently it is of; I try to recover my loss or I try my luck.
Did you see someone make a modified evil on smartphone?:laugh:

Well, even if you cannot run a bloated game on your mobile device, a server equipped with modern graphics card or your PC acting like that **can** send you FHD@60Hz video and audio stream, compressed in real time. Everything with 4 cores and 1.5Ghz+ can decode that with reasonable (~25%) CPU load. The bandwidth and the lag is another question, but you get your gaymes on your tablet, no ?
MS RemoteFX costs money, Teradici PCoIP does too (gen 1 sender card costs like $20 on ebay, does the job. With HW client on the other end for $10 you can have 4x monitors and utilize 200Mbit/s of bandwidth), HP RemoteGraphics is free when there is at least HP workstation class motherboard on the sending end, but it used to distort colors. Stuff built around KVM and qemu on Linux was not ready yet last time I've checked it.
There were cloud services running server farms specificly to sell cloud gaming and desktops loaded with Windows software charging per hour.

Well, even if you cannot run a bloated game on your mobile device, a server equipped with modern graphics card or your PC acting like that **can** send you FHD@60Hz video and audio stream, compressed in real time. Everything with 4 cores and 1.5Ghz+ can decode that with reasonable (~25%) CPU load. The bandwidth and the lag is another question, but you get your gaymes on your tablet, no ?
MS RemoteFX costs money, Teradici PCoIP does too (gen 1 sender card costs like $20 on ebay, does the job. With HW client on the other end for $10 you can have 4x monitors and utilize 200Mbit/s of bandwidth), HP RemoteGraphics is free when there is at least HP workstation class motherboard on the sending end, but it used to distort colors. Stuff built around KVM and qemu on Linux was not ready yet last time I've checked it.
There were cloud services running server farms specificly to sell cloud gaming and desktops loaded with Windows software charging per hour.

Why this theme always pop up into this forum?:rolleyes:
There are some threads about this, and tons of other forums, where this is discussed, why it not run for every typ of game! BTW, you talk about a bandwith of 200mb/s , i may get 12 mb/s, if it run well.

Play into pvp would be fun, about getting killed , before you see it streamed ... lol

I use my 3G iphone connection on the go and it works at 48 / ms =)

Why this theme always pop up into this forum?:rolleyes:
There are some threads about this, and tons of other forums, where this is discussed, why it not run for every typ of game! BTW, you talk about a bandwith of 200mb/s , i may get 12 mb/s, if it run well.

Play into pvp would be fun, about getting killed , before you see it streamed ... lol

Addicted people need their dose on the toilet seat (<4chanmode=on> >>2017 >> not using poopsock </4chanmode>).
220Mbit/s is bandwidth CAP for PCoIP running over hardware counterparts, if you configure it without any limits, it will use lossless compression with four 1080p sources with superb quality, e.g. you can't tell if you are using local console or not. Software client nerfs that to 7Mb/s with lot of quality tradeoffs and it is CPU-intensive so my Intel Baytrail tables is having had time running it (and the battery discharges really fast).
HP RemoteGraphics settles for ~18Mbit/s without turning on the limits. But as video biterate goes lower so does the quality.
So, basically, mobile gamer has two choices: carry more CPU power (and ARM is just too weak VS desktop Intel, the price paid for reduced power consumption) or somehow get 100Mbit/s+ wireless bandwidth with low lag and jitter and packet drop to receive good quality videostream, and both sound like magic by 2017 yet.

My answer would be :
1) I just dont trust MA
2) I think that they charge too much for what they are selling.

Short answer but best describes my feelings on the subject and a reason im not around anymore. Was a fun game I admit.

Also they lock accounts and block all communications, albeit rarely and often deserved. I would never recommend this game to anybody I call friend. My brother will openly mock anybody for mentioning it.

I use my 3G iphone connection on the go and it works at 48 / ms =)
In 2004 I had shared (was like 200+ people on the uplink) 256Kbit/s SDSL with 200+ ms pings to PE servers and yet I experienced less rubberbanding, stuck FAP/weapon that after switch to "actionbook" style interface :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I did not go through all the posts, just lazy and I would rather play :). I have never seen this game advertised in the USA and I think that it is a huge market. Having said that I heard (hear say) that MA came to the US and spoke home land security and they made it very clear that this game (because of direct depos to a players checking account for one and there were probably others) would have to some heavy restrictions and red tape because it could be used to fund terrorists orgs, I know, that for myself, there are many banking restrictions that now exists that did not before 911.

IMHO that could have a lot to do with it. I personally found the game while watching a special on TV and the interview with ND. It was in the last 5 minutes of an hour long program and most of the rest was second-life, I think was the name, and their "Stick People" players, what a joke !!

Been away for a while, so i might be also a little late to post in this thread. But anyway...

More popular is a "shady" definition for me.
For those who are involved in online virtual worlds for long (and I mean every damn open world out there), Entropia is well known I believe.
Thank to "Guinness Book" and the pioneers, Deathifier (aaah the egg ^^) and Neverdie, with he's famous 1 million bucks asteroid at first place!

The list goes on (..paste top 5 from Entropia Planets as an example)

635,000 USD for Club NEVERDIE (Asteroid Space Resort)
330,000 USD for Crystal Palace Space Station by "Buzz Eric Lightyear"
150,000 USD for the Monria (the moon) by "Modified Akoz Power"
99,900.10 USD for a bank / banking license by "Yuri iNTellect Efremov"
95,000.20 USD for a bank / banking license by "Jolana Kitty Brice"

we like it or not those top high records are some advertise by themselves but also a disadvantage because are "yelling loud" that this wonderful virtual world is extremely expensive too.

I personally came to try (and hooked forever) by watching Neverdie speaking about virtual worlds and he's success and also David Post (on he's appearance in Second Life). I didn't expected to be millionaire like ND but I love the thrilling of REAL money ingame.
The majority of course don't like the real cash economy concept as we see during the years.
But those who like it are lifetime participants, I'm sure. (MA knows that aswell i believe.)

PS. As a "guru" internet world resident (LoL!!!!) I also believe MindArk is one of the most trustworthy firms out there. That's another reason I keep believe to the success of this virtual world.

Last edited:
Why is EU not more popular -

1. Ongoing, historic bugs which affect the 'quality of life' element and cause the game to occasionally feel 'amateur'.
2. Cost. The advertising in this game implies you can make 'money' here. Yes, it is possible, but not probable and as such many of the newcomers I have spoken to feel it is a 'con'. Due to the advertising they don't tend to believe long time players and believe they are to be the 'lucky' ones...as such down the line they become disillusioned. Need to advertise truthfully...
3. The graphics, while great in 2010 when they swapped from GameBryo to Cryengine, are now tired looking.
4. No storyline. Other than picking up a gun and shooting, there is no storyline anymore. A newcomer needs a sense of wonder to stay. This has gone with the old PE...

Great games are designed with the experience in mind, and not just tasks to perform. The player should want to repeat the experience. Globals could be said to fill this role, but experiences should be about more than money.
Great example as the huge lvl 1796 mobs spawned by MA on Ark the other evening. Huge fun, reasonable loot, and enjoyed greatly. More of this sort of company involvement and creation of fun.
Yes, its supposed to be a sandbox. But for most gamers this aspect is alien to them. The current missions are just pick up gun, kill something, rinse and repeat. Make missions more interesting and gradually bring people to the sandbox element.

Just my 2c...

Been away for a while, so i might be also a little late to post in this thread. But anyway...

More popular is a "shady" definition for me.
For those who are involved in online virtual worlds for long (and I mean every damn open world out there), Entropia is well known I believe.
Thank to "Guinness Book" and the pioneers, Deathifier (aaah the egg ^^) and Neverdie, with he's famous 1 million bucks asteroid at first place!

The list goes on (..paste top 5 from Entropia Planets as an example)

635,000 USD for Club NEVERDIE (Asteroid Space Resort)
330,000 USD for Crystal Palace Space Station by "Buzz Eric Lightyear"
150,000 USD for the Monria (the moon) by "Modified Akoz Power"
99,900.10 USD for a bank / banking license by "Yuri iNTellect Efremov"
95,000.20 USD for a bank / banking license by "Jolana Kitty Brice"

[/I]

I not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying this is the worth of the above mentioned and this is their current value? If you are saying they are worth those values I believe it. Or are you saying that is what was paid for them in the real world?

I not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying this is the worth of the above mentioned and this is their current value? If you are saying they are worth those values I believe it. Or are you saying that is what was paid for them in the real world?

Those are officially the values that paid for those deads (in real currency), for tax purposes i suppose.
We have to believe that those numbers are true.

The important question is why MindArk doesn't want to make it more popular?

tinfoil hats on.:D:confused:

...one day many years ago someone said to our prime minister.
"We can't bring our economy to the standarts of EU demand, lets give the case to experts"!
So, they deside to give the whole operation to..... Goldman Sachs accountants!
Then they made this "success" as popular as it gets! :mad:

results???? Ask the greek people :scratch2:

"Popular" is not so "good" everytime, some "digging the books" from time to time you know!

My favorite tinfoil hat theory is that MA has given up in the battle for concurrence. Despite all 'hardware upgrades' and 'optimization' and whatnot, having more than 30 avatars in the same area is still a miserable experience for most of them. Therefore, they do not want more users, they want users who spend more.

It's just a theory, of course. Some observations seem to corroborate, some do not.

My favorite tinfoil hat theory is that MA has given up in the battle for concurrence. Despite all 'hardware upgrades' and 'optimization' and whatnot, having more than 30 avatars in the same area is still a miserable experience for most of them. Therefore, they do not want more users, they want users who spend more.

It's just a theory, of course. Some observations seem to corroborate, some do not.

Your theory has one big hole, since when did MA upgrade anything:). I do remember and it must have been 7-8 years ago when they went with the new hosting people and that was a disaster for a period of time and that was that, as far as I know.

Those are officially the values that paid for those deads (in real currency), for tax purposes i suppose.
We have to believe that those numbers are true.

ND did not pay that for CND, I saw the interview with him and he said he paid around 80K USD by taking out a mortgage on his house for that amount and I don't think he had another 550K USD lying around. I have no doubt that it is worth that now.

Status
Back