To armor or not to armor that is the question

CozMoDan

Elite
Herco Coz Mann
I see just about as many people wearing armor as not it seems. I always wear the armor no matter what I am hunting. I know that many do not so they can save a few ped on decay. The big reason I wear is I want to tier my armor (UL armor of course). I am willing to pay the little extra to do that. I know that the additional protection is not much but every little bit help and I have one piece of armor at tier 4 and that is an additional 10% and the enhancers seem to last a long time. An additional plus is I can hunt a little bigger mob because of that.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Some people and some do not believe it influences return rates or even multiplier on loot.

I wear armor now so I don't have to worry about getting oneshotted with critical :)

In MM I wore armour up to level 3 and the decay costs were typically 50 ped for each hour. I suspect that was because I may not have matched the armour to the mob - Jaguar with 5b plates.

Amour repairs will always generally be cheaper than cost to heal. Especially as our avas are nerfed to take a lot of damage these days even from the smallest mob.

Although you have to find the right balance, I personally believe taking 1.0 damage is not good for returns. There has to be some element of competitive hunting between you and the mob. Taking like 3.0 - 7.0 damage is probably about right (on small mobs), so you only need to occasionally heal. If that means removing plates, take them off.

That said quite a few players use the Galactic mission heal chips, as a replacement for amour. They're fairly cheap to run, I don't know what effect that has on returns, although I know using any other method of healing is more expensive than armour protection.

There was an old school rule floating around the community that if you had to heal to take down a mob, you shouldn't hunt that mob.

Does it really mater though, if MA want to pay they will, if they don't they won't whatever you do out there.

Rick

Reactions: das
Low end armor tends to cost about 1 pec for every 10 damage. It gets less efficient as the amount protected goes up.

In MM I wore armour up to level 3 and the decay costs were typically 50 ped for each hour. I suspect that was because I may not have matched the armour to the mob - Jaguar with 5b plates.

That was not just the armor, right ? Also I am fairly sure if the armor does not protect you from a certain type of hit then you will not get decay for the that hit.

One other thing, my decay was around 120 ped per hour run but only a small part was decay on armor.

Don't wear armor unless you have a reason to do so... Sounds like your reason is to tier. That's one valid reason... Others include, but are not limited to, buffs (even though adjusted harrier's buff is tiny vs the acceleration rings, it does help a little), hunting above your level now and then (love gremlin on Beach crabs, lol), or just to 'live a little longer' before you hit the revive terminal or have to use a fap or whatnot...

Also, for some, it's just a fashion statement... "Look at how big my credit card bill is"

I rarely wear armor - use the adj resto chip
much cheaper

but maybe armor decay goes into your loot? That is something idk about.

funny enough the largest hofs I have had I was armored and plated up :D

90% of the time I hunt without armor.

1) I don't believe that armor affects loot or anything
2) I prefer to get skills for healing instead of repair bill
3) adj resto + mod2350 combo is extremely cheap to use even if you overheal all the time
4) if I feel that I need an armor for the mob, I know that I'm going way above my level and it will cost me dearly

Sometimes I do hunt in armor for fun, but perfectly recognize the consequences. The good example is this last hunt where I didn't break even with 500ped worth of globals from 1k ped ammo and had 70 ped decay on jaguar :D

If I am grinding regular stuff for missions I usually don't wear armor, except lately I am wearing my shadow arms and gloves around because I am trying to tier it since its the lowest tiered pieces in my set. Sometimes if I am trying to grind while watching video I will put some armor on so my avatar can take some abuse and I don't have to watch the game so close. I will also put armor on if my connection is wonky, many times I have died standing there waiting for the game to let me heal but can't because its busy thinking about it while the mob continues to bang on me. If its weird like that I might over protect to stay alive and continue to shoot instead of making revival round trips, or I will just say fuck it and log out when that shit starts going on. Too many avatars around, vehicles coming and going in and out of my radar, etc.

My T4 shadow is my highest protection armor for most close mobs, I often wear it for events because I like to gamble on the big mobs that require that level of protection since I don't have enough hp or evade/dodge (yet) to do them naked.

I don't know how much armor contributes to regular return, but it kind of makes sense that it would at least add to the volitility, more decay = more potential return if you believe in that. I often see people hunting big event mobs naked with a fapper and getting big hofs, would they have gotten a bigger hof with armor? I've done that and not got shit and still had to pay the fapper so idk.. its so dynamic that its hard for me to make those decisions without becoming a bean counter. I am probably doing it all wrong so don't do what I do.

If I want to hunt a mob and it is hitting me too hard I will put on armor, if its still hitting me too hard I might hire a fapper. If I don't want to pay for all that I will find another mob.

Nope, adjusted restoration chip naked. My rule of thumb if i can't kill it with this naked. Or with very minimal armor like adj pixie + 2a then i shouldn't be hunting it.

3) adj resto + mod2350 combo is extremely cheap to use even if you overheal all the time
4) if I feel that I need an armor for the mob, I know that I'm going way above my level and it will cost me dearly

Sometimes I do hunt in armor for fun, but perfectly recognize the consequences. The good example is this last hunt where I didn't break even with 500ped worth of globals from 1k ped ammo and had 70 ped decay on jaguar :D

NP with 1,2, and 3 and not really 4 but IMO you use armor to get to the bigger mobs. For me case in point, if I use ghost on Proterons young are about the best I can do, if I use Rutuba I can get to providers with ease and the other big mob that hangs around ( have been there in a while so have forgot the but not the 334K atf:)) also the big levis.

Anyway just my thoughts,

NP with 1,2, and 3 and not really 4 but IMO you use armor to get to the bigger mobs.

If you can't live without hunting really big mobs (naked I stay below L40-45 usually, depends on a mob of course) then you don't really have a choice, you have to use an armor or a fapper.

For me case in point, if I use ghost on Proterons young are about the best I can do, if I use Rutuba I can get to providers with ease

The only armor you need for proterons is a hermetic ring :) I didn't try providers+ but youngs-old can't touch me with augmented ring.

Some people and some do not believe it influences return rates or even multiplier on loot.

I wear armor now so I don't have to worry about getting oneshotted with critical :)

Threw my scouring over many threads I have read this claim by some top Hunters. Whether its part of an algorithm or not I guess it can be debated.

So I usually live in my Adj Pixie at least. So if its helping loot great. However depending on set up and what I am hunting with Armor I don't have to heal so that leads to more killing.

If you can't live without hunting really big mobs (naked I stay below L40-45 usually, depends on a mob of course) then you don't really have a choice, you have to use an armor or a fapper.

The only armor you need for proterons is a hermetic ring :) I didn't try providers+ but youngs-old can't touch me with augmented ring.

Your saying that a 20% increase in speed allows you to out run them if I understand you correctly.

Your saying that a 20% increase in speed allows you to out run them if I understand you correctly.

First it allows me to walk backward faster, so I don't have to run from young, it just never reaches me. From mature-old yes, it allows me to run off a bit and continue walking backward.

First it allows me to walk backward faster, so I don't have to run from young, it just never reaches me. From mature-old yes, it allows me to run off a bit and continue walking backward.

Interesting :)

I've been hunting without armor (put my rutuba away), as you suggested; hunting smaller, getting better returns and more skills. Thank you again :)

This thread suggests everybody uses a rifle.

On the current missions that i'm grinding restoration chip is all i need. On fast mobs like trox/evis it's more eco for me to switch to melee when they are close. On top of that my General rule is to use pathenic ring if i'm naked and phermetic ring when wearing armor.
I am suprised people use those big L armors, wear some shitty armor and hire a ek fapper for decay!

i never hunt naked..

there are three options i have when i decide to hunt:
  1. I check if i can use my est armor for the bonus crit dmg, so, i'll have to kill the mob before i get any hit
  2. If i can't kill the mob naked, i wear a certain armor for the certain mob
  3. If i can kill the mob naked but can't use est armor, i use my settler to get tiers

This I'm going to try..Thank You Svarog.

A question indeed.

"Now thrive the armourers, and honour's thought, reigns solely in the breast of every man" (henry V)

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing". (Macbeth)

"So doth the greater glory dim the less. A substitute shines brightly as a king
Until a king be by, and then his state empties itself, as doth an inland brook into the main of waters" (Merchant of Venice)

You can over analyse though....lol (think too much).

"I’ll give thee armor to keep off that word, adversity’s sweet milk, philosophy to comfort thee though thou art banished". (Romeo and Juliet)

Rick

Let me repeat myself once again, due to this new thread being created.

Me and a few others (who are eco minded) have tested this out already.

Armour decay is returned back into the loot of that mob that decayed it.

The mob recalls decay however not all decay is returned is hard to note.

Therefore no armour while hunting is best option or economical healing.

So lower your defensive costs, increase the TT returns by shooting more.

My rule of thumb if i can't kill it with this naked. Or with very minimal armor like adj pixie + 2a then i shouldn't be hunting it.
I get what you're saying, and while this is somewhat true, it's not that simple. For example, not that long ago I watched Messi hunt Mulcibers and Drone Elites with a Mod FAPer. While he did kill the Drones naked, he wore armor for the Mulcibers. At 400 damage according to Entropedia, that makes sense. Sometimes mobs just do too much damage for no armor. So, really, if you have a certain cost threshold you'd like to stay within, the best thing to do is to experiment and see what works. Just because you wear armor doesn't necessarily mean you are "paying for it," but yes, it certainly can. :)

Let me repeat myself once again, due to this new thread being created.

Me and a few others (who are eco minded) have tested this out already.

Armour decay is returned back into the loot of that mob that decayed it.

The mob recalls decay however not all decay is returned is hard to note.

Therefore no armour while hunting is best option or economical healing.

So lower your defensive costs, increase the TT returns by shooting more.

Do take this wrong and I mean no offense but how could you possibly know that the armor decay is turned back into the mob, unless MA told you ? One other thing I read your stats on tracker and you have 40 763 in total loot from hunting in the past 6 or 7 years. How much testing could you really do ?

Last edited:
I wear shadow cuz IT looks good :)

Back