Advice on New PC

moondog

Stalker
Society
Stockholm Syndrome
Charley Moondog 1969
Hi,

I have been working abroad for the last 2 years and been using a ROG laptop to play EU. I am going back to the UK in a couple of weeks and would like to buy a new Gaming PC. Budget is £2000, what setup should I go for, I used to follow the latest Hardware but have not done so since I left the UK. I am happy to build my own, suggestions on a set up would be appreciated.

NB I was going to build a VR ready machine but I heard that playing EU in VR is a bit nauseating so I will settle for a high end gaming desktop

Do you need everything? (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers) or only the tower?

Also, do you overclock?

Last edited:
in 2 weeks Amd is releasing its new cpu line . according to leaks the price performance will be way above of the market today.

I Just need the Tower, I have all the other things. No I don't overclock, I would rather pay extra for better components

For gaming purposes, this would be a safe setup:

CPU: i5 7600 (or i7 7700 if u need an i7)
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080
PSU: 750W

That should be within your budget and be enough for today and tommorows games. If you are only playing EU GTX 1060/1070 and 16GB ram should cover it, but if you go with the above, you have a solid computer for many years to come.

Unless you want to wait for Ryzen, this I think is the most you will get for your money:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K £339.98
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A £153.98
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB £649.99
PSU: 660W Seasonic Platinum £149.99
SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, M.2 £167.99
HDD: 1TB Seagate ST1000LM035, 2.5" HDD £51.83
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition £134.99
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 £234.49
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 £104.99

Total including shipping and VAT: £1988.24

Feel free to change the case, I don't know your preference there. Fractal Design is a good case maker.

From this store: https://www.scan.co.uk (everything is in stock)

I notice a HUGE difference in loading textures with the top samsung SSD's, named samsung 960 evo/pro series.
With a regular ssd, for instance there are more 'ceiling, or floor bugs', with a fast m.2 ssd, I don't have this...

Makes more economic sense to buy a 1060GTX (6gb) and replace it in 2 years for an equivalently priced graphics card, rather than spend 3x the price on a 1080GTX.

i5 7600 rather than i7 7700 - the only difference is a marginal clockspeed and hyperthreading; for a gaming PC hyperthreading is meaningless.

That way, you save around £400 for a nice chunky deposit to go with your new PC ;)

I notice a HUGE difference in loading textures with the top samsung SSD's, named samsung 960 evo/pro series.
With a regular ssd, for instance there are more 'ceiling, or floor bugs', with a fast m.2 ssd, I don't have this...

Oh yeah, this too. Get a samsung evo m2.

if all you need is a tower, consider this haus that is the quietest on the market:

ultra quiet tower with room for everything

Fits liquid cooling very easily, with room to spare.

I got two of these last withdrawal. My son managed to spill some pop on his, called customer support to try and get a part from them(sticky power button), they cant actually sell parts, so they will give me the part for free, all I need to do is pay shipping. Pretty impressive customer service.

Unless you want to wait for Ryzen, this I think is the most you will get for your money:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K £339.98
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A £153.98
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB £649.99
PSU: 660W Seasonic Platinum £149.99
SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, M.2 £167.99
HDD: 1TB Seagate ST1000LM035, 2.5" HDD £51.83
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition £134.99
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 £234.49
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 £104.99

Total including shipping and VAT: £1988.24

Feel free to change the case, I don't know your preference there. Fractal Design is a good case maker.

From this store: https://www.scan.co.uk (everything is in stock)

This build is pretty much perfect and future proof. That being said... if you aren't gaming in at least 1440p then you have no need for the 1080, or even the 1070 unless you need over 120fps for a nice monitor.

A good pc is only as good as the monitor you play on. If playing at 1080p just get a 1060 and depo your $400 savings.

Thanks for all the responses. I only ever play EU on the gaming PC but I want to be able to appreciate the Graphics on very high all the time.

Ok so I missed a trick here. Can someone recommend a decent monitor and appropriate GPU to go with it. I currently have my RPG plugged into a 20" samsung TV. I really do want the best graphics I can get for the money. I dont mind spending more than £2000 to include a monitor.

Thanks in advance

Ok so I missed a trick here. Can someone recommend a decent monitor and appropriate GPU to go with it. I currently have my RPG plugged into a 20" samsung TV. I really do want the best graphics I can get for the money. I dont mind spending more than £2000 to include a monitor.

Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VX24AH-...F8&qid=1487256966&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+vx24ah

then downgrade to gtx 1070 (roughly $400).. 1080 is overkill without running 4k or higher. the monitor is extremely good value for a 1440p ips panel. the frameless look is sharp too.

For gaming, something like this 144Hz monitor.

Or look for a 1440p one in that website if you want more resolution.

Ok Guys thanks for all the advice looks like I can do the tower and monitor inside the 2K budget, excited now as only 12 days until I go home.

Ok Guys thanks for all the advice looks like I can do the tower and monitor inside the 2K budget, excited now as only 12 days until I go home.
Sounds perfect for amd ryzen think its 2 march release.also sucks to have to make an acount just to download the nvidia drivers.

Last edited:
Sounds perfect for amd ryzen think its 2 mars release.also sucks to have to make an acount just to donwload the nvidia.

yeah i'd wait and see what the ryzen cpus list at. Supposedly they're going to be very similar performance to intel but 10-20% cheaper.

the i7-7700k is a very expensive processor. I'd check out ryzen or the i5-7600k to try and shave $100-150 off the price.

Thanks for all the responses. I only ever play EU on the gaming PC but I want to be able to appreciate the Graphics on very high all the time.

if this is truly the case then don't get a 144hz monitor.. spend the cash on more resolution and a better ips panel. A true gaming monitor won't give you any benefit in EU... and at the cost of better colors and a much nicer picture. 144hz ips panels are still extremely expensive.. like $400+ for 1080p.

With my current system (an old i7 Gen 4) I've kept windows on a 1TB HDD but install games on a 512Mb Samsung 850 Pro SSD.

Boot up's might take a while longer which I can live with and games then benefit from a dedicated SSD with nothing else competing to get data.

At work I've got a Dell Ultrasharp monitor for doing artwork, you can definitely see the difference in colour between that an a standard screen from other manufacturers.

running dual AMD Radeon R9 200 series..
16gb ram
fx 8 core processor

runs game at 60 fps very high graphix, max everything.

Intel I7-7700K
Asus or MSI gaming board with M.2 slot
M.2 SSD - Samsung EVO or PRO
Asus or MSI GTX 1080
2x HGST/Toshiba big 7200RPM drive for storage, RAID mirror, so on drive death you are not screwed (but still always backup!) - these 2 manufacturers return you new drive on RMA case, others send you refurbished ones
Kinston, Crucial RAM is good enough
Quiet chassis from Corsair, Antec, Fractal
Enermax, Seasonic PSU - +20% overhead on max load. For example your PC uses 600W total, buy ~720W PSU
Noctua cooler hands down. You wount regret. You don't need water cooling, it's loud and pretty useless if you are not overclocking on extremes

I think that's about it.

Buy components and have friend assamble it, best way to go :) Unless you can put it together yourself.

Back