Question: Item-sharing in teamhunts : what is fair and what is not?

Ardorj

Elite
Society
NBK Rangers
Ardorj-Njarr
I've done a teamhunt-like event, called Mêlée all the Way! (MatW! link to Ark.forum) on Arkadia last weekend, and while one with a TT-knife was saying: "Yet another positive run, thanks to the items!" all my numbers are in the red. So this got me thinking and filosophying a bit about item-sharing in teamhunt.
Disclaimer: in no way do I regret organizing the Mêlée all the Way!, nor do I hold a grutch on any who joined and made a profit while I did not. It's about fun and coming together as mêlée-hunters in a team, and we've archieved that 1000%! All the thanks I've gotten for doing the event is worth me more then any good HOF we might have gotten.

Let's consider a team of six people. Ard and Bob use TT-weapons, doing 4,5 dmg/sec. Charles, Debbiey and Ethen use a little stronger weapons, doing respectively 19, 20 and 21 dmg/sec. Floris does the most damage with 35 dmg/sec. The team is happy, because a good item is looted! It's worth 94 PED (it will be clear later, why it's worth that). For some unexplained reason all note, before the splitting of that item, the exact same return of 80.0%. See the following table:

PlayerCostReturn (TT)Return (%)
Ard20,0016,0080.0%
Bob20,0016,0080.0%
Charles85,0068,0080.0%
Debbiey90,0072,0080.0%
Ethen95,0076,0080.0%
Floris160,00128,0080.0%

When they summed up all their costs they came to 470 PED, and their sum of return to 376 PED. Remember that item they've looted? How nice that it's worth 94 PED, for 376+94=470! Hurray, all get a 100.0% return! ... or do they?
The team splits the item by six: 94/6 = 15,67PED for all. Ard and Bob now say: "Best run ever! And great profit too!" Charles, Debbiey and Ethen say: "So very close to breaking even!" Floris says: "Bah, loot sucked!" Why is this? Let's look at the table again, now with the item-split included:

Ard20,0031,67158.3%
Bob20,0031,67158.3%
Charles85,0083,6798.4%
Debbiey90,0087,6797.4%
Ethen95,0091,6796.5%
Floris160,00143,6789.9%

What I am thinking about, is to do the item split based on in wich category of dmg/sec a hunter is. These are all theoretical numbers, and I'm just using them to get the idea across (wich I hope works). Category 1: <10.1 dmg/sec. Category 2: 10.1 - 25.0 dmg/sec. Category 3: >25.1 dmg/sec. The teammembers who fall in Cat.1 get 1 point, those in Cat.2 2 points, and Cat.3 ... 3 points. That means for this team that Ard and Bob get 1, Charles, Debbiey and Ethen 2, and Floris 3. Total of points: 11.
The 94 PED item is now not divided by 6, but for each relative of their dmg-point. For Ard and Bob that is (1/11)*94 = 8,55 PED. Charles, Debbiey and Ethen get (2/11)*94 = 17,09 PED. Floris earns (3/11)*94 = 25,64 PED. The return table now looks like this:

Ard20,0024,55122.7%
Bob20,0024,55122.7%
Charles85,0085,09100.1%
Debbiey90,0089,0999.0%
Ethen95,0093,0998.0%
Floris160,00153,6496.0%

And now all in the team are happy, with a small profit or loss. Where Floris would loss first 16,33 PED, that's now 6,36. Ard and Bob's profit is reduced from 11,67 to 4,55 PED.

So, what do you guys think? Am I losing my head here, trying to do too much match in what should be just a fun teamhunt?
Should Ard and Bob be kicked out of the team, and Floris change weapon to match that of the other three?
Looter = Keeper of the item?

How do you split items in a teamhunt?

Ardorj :)

split items whit % damage done whit ur main gun

Splitting loot by percentage of damage. However, for your event, you would need to keep up with that per mob session so that ard gets his share for huon items but when he disappeared when you did yuka, he doesn't continue getting a share nor does the guy who showed up for yuka get a share of the huon item drops.

Splitting loot by percentage of damage. However, for your event, you would need to keep up with that per mob session so that ard gets his share for huon items but when he disappeared when you did yuka, he doesn't continue getting a share nor does the guy who showed up for yuka get a share of the huon item drops.

Track some small stackable like looted ammo using entropialife teamtracker thing. Then divide items looted by % of damage done.

The only tricky part here is if one leaves early or new teammate is entering.....

Someone in the team must have etropia tracker's loot window running and reset it after every mob and take screenshot when an item is dropped after the hunting session split each item based on shrapnel.

Just make everyone use the same weapon?? if everyone was using tt weapon (or a higher L weapon) then there should be no issue splitting. Granted not everyone will profit the same regardless unless everyone does equal damage...but it would be closer results than if you have different weapons.

Sure you may not be able to take down higher creatures...but get enough of you attacking the same mob and it will go down pretty quick.

http://jodaeu.com/euteamloot.rar

best loot splitter ever: ) dont know if still work correct, but if you change :

"received Shrapnel" to "received Weapon Cells" in chat log than it works cool for me.

dont forget delete chat log before start team hunt

source :

Hello all,
now i think it is time to share it with you.
Purpose is to make Team hunting more LIVE here.

so here you go : http://www.tumelis.lt/Files/Zverys_P_V4.2.rar

startig manual : http://www.tumelis.lt/Files/zverys_manual.pdf

maby will make an tutorial soon , but i think it is verry simple to use :p

P.S. Clear Chat log file before going to hunt so no need to cut it later

//mg

If everyone's not using the same weapon then there's actually 2 problems:
- dmg/sec is different (and consequently peds spent on ammo/weapon decay)
- dmg received is also different (so armor decay/fap decay differs)

In a sense using the same weapons (or trimming your weapons to the same dmg/sec) is the easiest solution by far.
If you keep different weapons then your method is prolly best indeed. It doesn't compensate for different defensive costs but luckily those are relatively small, so no biggie.

I personally prefer teams that do not split items or meddle with loot in any way at all. I know few other ppl who do that (Taco is the most famous prolly).
Main reason for that is 'cuz I'm simply too lazy. Also, I believe the system spreads both items and loot pretty fairly over sufficiently long period of time. I have no proof for that thou, it's just another subjective opinion and I might very well be wrong there so don't quote me. :smoke:

I use EntropiaTracker to track the shrapnel looted by each person throughout the hunt. Not only does this compensate for DPS variances, it also compensates for activity (for example if one person is super active, always shooting the right direction, and another person is spacing out half the time) and range differences (he who has the farthest range hits the target first).
At the end of each run, I add up the total amount of Shrapnel looted, and then calculate each player's contribution to that total to determine their share of item loots.
Using this method has been the most fair I have come across yet. I hope it helps.

Very respectfully,

- Captain Jack

When ive done team hunts, it was always split based on your dps.

To add to this is that even if you track as correct as possible you still have to rely on trust since the looter of the item (L) or ESI has to reveal its TT to the team so dont teamhunt unless Oyu guys are decent friends :)

Personally, I don't like such peer pressure at all. The system already distributes and who doesn't accept it shouldn't play. Sharing works out in some situations when people know each other, and all the pros and cons are understood or negotiated. E.g. as a junior participant in a soc team, you know you get to play damage helper for the advanced members since mission points are never shared, so it feels right to get something back for it. Or for other reasons, a supportive mentor etc.

If I were to make such a team esp. of mostly strangers, it would be finders keepers rule and everybody who starts moaning about others getting stuff would be shown the door. However, it seems worship of the green-eyed monster of envy is ingrained in the culture and most people won't have it any other way, hence I don't lead teams.

I enjoyed the hunt very much, thanks Ardorj for the good time. Although had very limited funds, was able to share the items I got on the spot since value wasn't very high. I remember last time I was forced to throw away a pretty nice gun since I couldn't pay it out and nobody wants to buy it for markup there and then. Sometimes someone offers to pay TT, but it does make me feel a bit iffy about them exploiting the situation. I won't do it again, if I have to sell for TT I sell to TT.

Last edited:
To add to this is that even if you track as correct as possible you still have to rely on trust since the looter of the item (L) or ESI has to reveal its TT to the team so dont teamhunt unless Oyu guys are decent friends :)

Oh yeah so true.

Have done a lot sweat and hunt teams at Nea´s in the past, and we have had trouble the one or other time that someone in team run off, with the ESI, although it was mentioned that we split items.

Thanks for all the answer!

I must say that, thanks your (imagitive) deity, I have never been in a situation where someone refused to split an item. More like the otherway, where one insisted on splitting a low TT item that would give every something like 23PEC. :laugh:
I am not a fan of the "finders-keepers" method, because who's to say that if it wasn't for the team, the looter would have gotten that item? (Yes, it can be argued that if it wasn't for the team, the looter would have a better item or higher TT ...)

I like the option to check each damage done by a stack like Shrapnel or Ammo looted. I'm afraid that it would do with one of those trackers, because teammembers sometimes come and go during a run.
So I guess I'll be keeping a spreadsheet nearby and note the Shrapnel/Ammo loots of each teammember of some of the loots, and then calculate each members dmg-distribution next time I'm organizing a teamhunt. :computer:

PS. Did I mention that I am also considering bringing the Mêlée all the Way! to Calypso? If so, it will be end of summer/ begin of autumn. And I need to rely on the other hunters what to hunt, because I haven't set foot on Caly in ages. :smash:

Ardorj :)

Back