Merry Mayhem

gwit

Prowler
Katielicious mallow (Kat)
Having just seen the results is there really any point in us mere mortals taking part ever again.

MM is now so heavily weighted to just ubers those of us in other categories just don't stand any chance whatsoever. At least when categories were set by professional levels, we could at least feel we had a chance.

What do others think? Should MM be changed?

categories on mm would be nice to have, for people to win , because now 1-2-3 solo does not have any chances.

This is why I only participated in farming FFA stars this year. Back when they had categories and you were limited by your professional levels, that made it so anyone could win. As a nobody I placed 15th a couple years ago with only (L) gear and (L) budget. I was really looking forward to participating again but not with this format. I do recall there were issues with people chipping in/out, so maybe preventing chipping while active in the event needs to be implemented.

So I agree, there's no point in participating in the Solo event unless you are an UBER.

If I'm not mistaken, back when there were categories there were players creating alts and chipping skills to a certain level and slapping an unmaxed mod merc on them to win prizes.

Some actually told me it was a fairly profitable venture. Returns sucked and ESI cost sucked, but they only needed to put in 40 hours to win a top-15 spot.

Honestly there's no good way to do it.. the EU mechanics don't allow for a truly "skill-based" categorical competition.

MA would need to develop some other parameter to limit players' category options.

Having just seen the results is there really any point in us mere mortals taking part ever again.

MM is now so heavily weighted to just ubers those of us in other categories just don't stand any chance whatsoever. At least when categories were set by professional levels, we could at least feel we had a chance.

Judging by your starting date (2006) I'm quite surprised that it took you 11 years to notice this. :laugh:
As just a mortal I never even bothered to think about participating for the mentioned reason.

If I'm not mistaken, back when there were categories there were players creating alts and chipping skills to a certain level and slapping an unmaxed mod merc on them to win prizes.

Some actually told me it was a fairly profitable venture. Returns sucked and ESI cost sucked, but they only needed to put in 40 hours to win a top-15 spot.

Honestly there's no good way to do it.. the EU mechanics don't allow for a truly "skill-based" categorical competition.

MA would need to develop some other parameter to limit players' category options.

Well at least back then the uber-mortals had to take action and spend peds to chip in/out to participate, therefor contributing to the general economy.
But now they can just participate regardless of levels.

Judging by your starting date (2006) I'm quite surprised that it took you 11 years to notice this. :laugh:
As just a mortal I never even bothered to think about participating for the mentioned reason].

I am forever the eternal optimist and thought that equal weightings would apply across the categories. How stupid of me:dunce:

yeah whoever takes part in solo events and does not belong to the 50 top hunters is an idiot imo. there is absolutely zero chance of winning if ur equip is worth less than 200k and ur bankroll smaller than another 100k.
if everyone stops doing them maybe MA changes it so it gets fair again. also people who make alts to win stuff with a mod merc on categories... if MA would be strict in applying their rules every alt user would be banned. and there are not enough big ass guns around to not notice when somebody makes an alt and trades it for no value to it. you can easily identify every UL item on its tier rates and if MA wanted to they could easily find out which uber is making alts and is abusing the competition. get 1 or 2 of them perma banned and the public would gain trust in events again, resulting in an overall higher cycling and thus more payout for deed holders and possibly bigger prices.
i dont really see a downside in categories. Just make em in regards to the hp like in GR.

Newbies get decent placing in Gold Rush all the time (I personally know a few, definitely not alts). Cheating will most likely happen, but it's nowhere near as bad as the current event setup, which isolates 99% of the playerbase into FFA farming.

I liked categories a lot back in the day. Needless to say, I think that this structure makes MA more $$, so I doubt we will see categories again.

Unless there is MU in base loot, theres no chance id do mm again as long as its like this.

Newbies get decent placing in Gold Rush all the time (I personally know a few, definitely not alts). Cheating will most likely happen, but it's nowhere near as bad as the current event setup, which isolates 99% of the playerbase into FFA farming.

In goldrush the prizes are significantly smaller, and likely not worth it to buy a 200-500 ped ESI and take in unmaxed weapon losses.

Maybe goldrush has something figured out then, but in any event the prizes of goldrush are still quite a yawn compared to MM prizes

Categories would be nice but with competition setup locked to your avatar for the duration of the event ie you need to "check in" the items you will use for the competition and cant trade them until the event is over.

Categories would be nice but with competition setup locked to your avatar for the duration of the event ie you need to "check in" the items you will use for the competition and cant trade them until the event is over.

excellent idea :yay:

Exactly, this is also what I think they should do if they intend to keep the prizes in MM.

The other option is to create categories with hp/lvl caps but make the awards less alluring in lower ones and keep the good ones for the top category.

This wouldn't work for me - I'm still using (L) gear which breaks and needs replacing. :( :dunce:
Couldn't afford to buy the gear ahead of time either for a 40 hour event.

This wouldn't work for me - I'm still using (L) gear which breaks and needs replacing. :( :dunce:

This isnt impossible to solve, just add that L-weapons means that you have to use the same model rather than using the exact same one or having to stock up before the event.

This isnt impossible to solve, just add that L-weapons means that you have to use the same model rather than using the exact same one or having to stock up before the event.

So, what if your model isnt available during the event?

So, what if your model isnt available during the event?

Perhaps you cant continue? or perhaps you have to redo it? Its not every players right to be able to compete in MM.

best PCF idea of the decade.

MA could just make the items avatar-bound for the duration of an event.

Were you that kid in high school who pointed to all the Super Bowl and Olympic champions and tried to convince everyone it wasn't worth participating in P.E. class? :scratch2:

Not really a Competition for the masses, just for the CHOSEN Few

I have nearly 10 years in this game, and not the brightest bulb in the string when it comes to all the different pieces and parts. One thing has been clear to me for years. Unless you are a part of the exclusive club, ie friends of the highly equipped, that you can borrow guns and equipment, or you have more money than the Pope, you do not have "A Chance in Hell" as it was put to me at the start of Mayhem.

The uber player(s) who run multiple ALTS, and they are very clearly known, that take up the top spots just stinks. A mid-level player has very little chance of competing, and that just stinks too. MA will tell you via support that everyone has the "Same Chance" of loot. But what they fail to tell you is that unless you own one of the top 10 guns in the game, "Don't Bother!" Well, they want us all to bother because we fill up the coffers for the CHOSEN to collect their prizes.

There has GOT to be a way to level the playing field and weed out the cheaters taking advantage of their ability to field multiple avatars.

Until then, I learned a hard lesson in my first and only Mayhem I have ever attempted in 10 years of game play. "JUST DON'T BOTHER!" It's an unfair sink hole designed to benefit the golden children of the game, and the rest of us pay the bill. No Thank you!

I often question why I even play this damn game. Maybe I ought to rethink it. :confused:

Lets see what the genius minds at MA come up with next, not gonna hold my breath.

Last edited:

As I see it, (L) should have no such restriction.

Were you that kid in high school who pointed to all the Super Bowl and Olympic champions and tried to convince everyone it wasn't worth participating in P.E. class? :scratch2:

What a BS comparison.
You're comparing the superbowl with MM event??

Kids in high school couldnt participate in the super bowl, could they?
That's for Pro teams only.
MM is for everybody, not just for Pros, thats open for everyone (well, at least in theory that is).

But in practice, MM is not really open for everyone.
MM is more like the super bowl that also allows little league teams to participate, taking on the pro teams.

Kids in high school couldnt participate in the super bowl, could they?
That's for Pro teams only.

Where do you think every Pro comes from? :laugh:

I think the upcoming BS system will allow more variety against BS events:wtg:

These types of "normal folks can never win" whining just makes me shake my head.

I dare anyone to find ANY competition where the more dedicated players who practice more & who get the best equipment they can buy don't have the advantage over the social competitor.

All this whining is saying is "I tried, but it wasn't good enough, so it's not a fair contest." :nana:

These types of "normal folks can never win" whining just makes me shake my head.

I dare anyone to find ANY competition where the more dedicated players who practice more & who get the best equipment they can buy don't have the advantage over the social competitor.

All this whining is saying is "I tried, but it wasn't good enough, so it's not a fair contest." :nana:

Its funny over the years I had a great deal of respect for you, both as a moderator and as a player. This is not a whining thread. This is about hoping for change.

So John, in your great wisdom - point to a normal folk that won this event.

You are so missing the point. The request is not to whinge or moan at the ubers, the request is for MA to create an event where we all have a chance to win.

Its funny over the years I had a great deal of respect for you, both as a moderator and as a player. This is not a whining thread. This is about hoping for change.

So John, in your great wisdom - point to a normal folk that won this event.

You are so missing the point. The request is not to whinge or moan at the ubers, the request is for MA to create an event where we all have a chance to win.

Completely missed my point. :rolleyes:

Just buy enough skills as the ubers and gear as good as or better than theirs and viola! You'll win.

Or do you think the ubers are some sort of different human species than you are?

competitions versus events

I have no problem with the winners of a COMPETITION being the ones who have invested heavily in the gear & skills required to win.
What really annoys me is the SAME people tend to also get all the good drops when there are EVENTS (migration, diablos, bot attacks).

Back