EU forcing maximum fan speed

Me Really Never

Stalker
Banned
Anyone else has the "problem" that when running EU the CPU fan (possibly other fans too) always run at max speed? it doesnt matter if im standing idle somewhere in the wild for half an hour or if im doing anything load heavy. its always at max speed. no other game goes that. its like permanently installing a game or something. happens on my laptop as well as on my desktop and the cpu usage is lower than on a lot of other games i got and they r still a lot more quiet.
did anyone notice this? and more importantly: is there a way to stop EU from doing this?

typically no game will instruct how the fans should work, the fans are spinning more if the processors (be it CPU, GPU or something else) are heating up due to doing processor intensive stuff
you should check out the temperatures with hwmonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) or another program and compare them in EU vs other games
Anyone else has the "problem" that when running EU the CPU fan (possibly other fans too) always run at max speed? it doesnt matter if im standing idle somewhere in the wild for half an hour or if im doing anything load heavy. its always at max speed. no other game goes that. its like permanently installing a game or something. happens on my laptop as well as on my desktop and the cpu usage is lower than on a lot of other games i got and they r still a lot more quiet.
did anyone notice this? and more importantly: is there a way to stop EU from doing this?

You say it's just EU and that other games don't do it, but I'm gonna post this anyway incase it helps anyone else reading this.

I recently built a new pc for myself and had some thermal paste left over, so I removed the heat sinks from my old laptop (which has it's fans spin full blast from the minute you switch it on), I cleaned off the old paste, which was virtually dust, and applied some fresh paste before replacing the heat sink. The laptop is now like a new machine, much quieter and cooler and even faster.

So if anyone has a laptop that's a couple of years old and is considering buying laptop cooling pad then try reapplying some thermal paste; it's cheaper and better (if it works :))

typically no game will instruct how the fans should work, the fans are spinning more if the processors (be it CPU, GPU or something else) are heating up due to doing processor intensive stuff
you should check out the temperatures with hwmonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) or another program and compare them in EU vs other games

seems you are right. i just checked it and the cpu temp goes higher on EU than on any other game. i can even play gta 5 and fallout 4 at the same time with less cpu temp... guess the game really is badly programmed. gonna have to buy a cpu cooler with less max rpm and bigger size then lol

seems you are right. i just checked it and the cpu temp goes higher on EU than on any other game. i can even play gta 5 and fallout 4 at the same time with less cpu temp... guess the game really is badly programmed. gonna have to buy a cpu cooler with less max rpm and bigger size then lol

Its not so much the way its programmed, its old tech like DX9. In newer versions the GPU and CPU work better together, sharing the workload.

try dropping distance drawing tho, that did lower CPU usage for me. btw i use a sealed water cooler, Corsair H60 (you don't need water tanks and all that). its silent and temps rarely go above 40 (think 50 in games like witcher 3)

It's not poor coding, by the way LOL. MA is always optimizing and fixing bugs. Everything works smooth and the game never crashes. It all runs so well they don't even need programmers anymore.

My gpu runs twice as hot running EU compared to other games.

Without the fans running max my guess is your system would shut down lol.

Years ago I had this with a laptop when we did the EUWBC boxing.

Could run anything without issues, but when EU started at some point the laptop would just shut down instantly unless I set it to safe mode. This was an issue with the thermal paste of the GPU, but still no other game pushed it like EU did... nothing else ran it so hot it shut down.

I know on my current laptop all fans come in action immediately too when I just stand still doing nothing as well. High settings or very high. Depending on the cooling system it is normal.

1) post specs

2) post gpu/cpu usage, clock speed, temp, and fan speed while playing EU vs. Idle vs. Fallout 4.

EU is rather CPU intensive.. but my fan speeds have never ramped up.. I play maxed at 1440p on my 3770k and gtx 1070.

On my shitty laptop i play on medium @ 1080p with the i7-6700hq and integrated graphics (no gpu) - cpu temp is always below 80c (which is good for this laptop and processor)

EU can make my PC's fans go up to 50% speed but afaik it's never put them at 100%.
And pretty sure MWLL also did the same.
Anyways some SD/Alpha/EA games can make my pc work the fans as much as EU (50%) but imo they aren't optimized.

You say it's just EU and that other games don't do it, but I'm gonna post this anyway incase it helps anyone else reading this.

I recently built a new pc for myself and had some thermal paste left over, so I removed the heat sinks from my old laptop (which has it's fans spin full blast from the minute you switch it on), I cleaned off the old paste, which was virtually dust, and applied some fresh paste before replacing the heat sink. The laptop is now like a new machine, much quieter and cooler and even faster.

So if anyone has a laptop that's a couple of years old and is considering buying laptop cooling pad then try reapplying some thermal paste; it's cheaper and better (if it works :))

I did this with my pc recently. I bought it a few years ago and lately its always noisy on startup and especially when playing EU. When I looked it up suggestions were that likely it was dusty and replace thermal paste. I opened up the case and sure enough it was filled with so much dust. I cleaned off all the dust and replaced the thermal paste on the cpu and gpu. Temperature when idle was around 45C and went down to 28C now and temperature when playing EU was around 70C and down to around 50-55C max now depending on setting. Fans still go on pretty constant with EU but not as strong or loud.

Welcome to computational intensive gaming.

Whilst Entropia always has been (and always will be) heavy on CPU usage, you can quieten your pc down to a whisper even without going to the trouble of watercooling.

And here is how you do it:

SSD - Silent HD (Samsung 850 Evo 500Gig)
PSU - Corsair 750W PSU with a zero RPM fan (HX750i)
Case - 3 x 120cm 800RPM silent fans (Silent Eagle 800)
Graphics - RX 470 has 2 fans that dont spin below 60 deg C and so are effectively silent
CPU - Coolermaster Hyper 212X - Silent 120cm fan (800RPM idle / 1100RPM during Entropia)

End result is a PC quieter than a mouse fart. :cool:

Last edited:
if you want lower temperatures and your case is all shiny on the inside.
Spray paint the interior with flat black.
But just make sure any shiny/reflective silver/white surfaces that face towards the inside of case are masked so they stay shiny and reflect that heat back out. I didn't have to do any of that with last case, but there have been some in the past that needed some old school mod time. ;)

And even on water cooled... don't be afraid to add more fans, or bigger fans which are generally quieter.
And replace any older fans that are noisy since the bearings/rollers/etc are probably wearing out.

EU is rather CPU intensive.. but my fan speeds have never ramped up.. I play maxed at 1440p on my 3770k and gtx 1070.
Using a gtx 1070, does the temp stay low and does the fans on it stay idle?

Graphics - RX 470 has 2 fans that dont spin below 60 deg C and so are effectively silent

Mouse fart, lol

What graphics settings are you using in game? Very High?
And what resolution are you running the game in?
Also, when playing Entropia does the temp of the gfx ever go above 60, starting the fans?

Anyone else that can share some info about using a gfx which would be capable enough to keep the fans in idle while playing Entropia (please post settings and resolution).
I'm very much considering getting an gtx 1070 for this very reason but I need some reports first I think.

Last edited:
Unless EU switches to a new engine that uses the latest directx, your gpu Temps will be high.

My gtx950 hovers around 70ºc when running EU. Other newer games which I can't mention here doesn't even make the fans run.

Cooling is the A and O!

I use a big "Be Quiet" cooler (PC). The fan most don't run, or just a bit. You hear no noises.
it is most normal, that Laptop's going hot. The hardware run on full power while gaming.
Cooling into laptop is not made to play hours. Except you bought a real gaming Laptop.

Unless EU switches to a new engine that uses the latest directx, your gpu Temps will be high.

My gtx950 hovers around 70ºc when running EU. Other newer games which I can't mention here doesn't even make the fans run.

Not sure this have to due with the shader model. higher direct x use also more complex calculations on the gpu. way more as DX9 . EU is using tons of shaders/materials/textures, thats why it run hot!

I usually build my own PC's and I always have fans on the case side that force air onto the graphics card and CPU, the last two have had 120mm fans on top as well. It's very rare for my system for fans on the graphics card or processor to spin up to above a whisper. But even in EU I've heard the fans spin up for a few seconds when in busy areas.

Yet Skyrim is also a DX9 game but doesn't have the same effect.

Mindark should start selling cooled PCs as a side biz.

Whilst Entropia always has been (and always will be) heavy on CPU usage, you can quieten your pc down to a whisper even without going to the trouble of watercooling.

And here is how you do it:

SSD - Silent HD (Samsung 850 Evo 500Gig)
PSU - Corsair 750W PSU with a zero RPM fan (HX750i)
Case - 3 x 120cm 800RPM silent fans (Silent Eagle 800)
CPU - Coolermaster Hyper 212X - Silent 120cm fan (800RPM idle / 1100RPM during Entropia)

running at 2560 x 1080, Very High, currently on Cyrene

Virtual Silence, after 10 mins CPU doesn't peak 60, fans about 30% speed, GPU below 60 too, with 65% fan speed

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G43
CPU: Intel i7-4790k, Cooled with Corsair H60, sealed water unit (no harder to install than a normal cooler), double fan system in push/pull attached to radiator
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Storage: 64GB Crucial M4 SSD / Samsung 240gb SSD / Seagate 1TB SSHD
Graphics card(s): MSI GTX 970
PSU: Cooler Master 800w
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus

Last edited:
Back