Info: Tree Harvest Skilling the Foundation to Uber

The Abomb

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Abomb Abomb ThePeoplesChamp
I know catchy title and probably some are curious where this is going and may think I am out of my mind. While that may be true what if I told you that Tree Harvesting can raise your Health, Evader, Paramedic, Mining and many other professions? Do I have your attention.

There are some great Resource Gathering guides out there that discuss what the profession is about how to do it and will link that guide here.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?275741-Complete-Resource-Gathering-guide

This Info thread is to discuss something different and why I harvest and why it's in the skill section. The SKILLS :yay:

The Abomb is a skiller. What attracted me to Entropia almost 10 months ago was all these skills I can get and how I love seeing green skill lines go across my screen. The only thing better then Skills is more Skills. So I experiment doing many activities and try to find either fun or just different ways to skill because for myself it makes Entropia a lot more fun and I don't enjoy doing 1 Profession for 10 hours a day.

Now if many Ubers were to look at their Resource Gathering Professional level they will discover that it is very High without ever even picking up a Terrahtech and cut a tree. The reason is Resource Gathering is part of so many professions. So this intrigued me and thought well the reverse must also be true. If I Resource Gather then I must also raise all my other professions.

I am a big fan of many ways to skin a cat and well I also don't have a Huge PED card to do whatever I want but I need to continue to skill and found this to be a Great surprise.

So let's look at the skills of Great Importance and why I harvest.

Alertness- Part of Evader Profession and if you track a 1 hr hunt sometimes you might only have 1 measly skill proc that happened. It's a difficult skill to get through hunting and usually is lacking compared to other Evader skills. Harvesting fixes that.

Athletics- Part of Evader Profession and for every 533 pts rewards 1 HP. It's Huge contribution to both HP and Evader you want more and Harvesting does just that. I can achieve just as much Athletics harvesting as hunting.

Dexterity- Part of Paramedic Profession and for every 800 pts rewards 1 HP.

Perception- Part of Mining,Hunting and many Professions and for every 1600 pts rewards 1 HP.

Geology- Part of Mining Profession and also Part of Disciple Graduation.

Intelligence- Attribute contributes to many professions for every 80 Intel rewards 1 HP. Harvesting is a amazing source of Intel and rivals repair skilling for raising it.

Of course you get Wood while harvesting but what really gets me going is all these skills. The skills above are not only essential in many professions but if you like HP and raising some stubborn skills you probably want to get on board and find the nearest TT and buy your first Teratech PH-1 to get started.

Now you will notice many other skill lines coming across your screen. I covered the what I feel main reason to get started in harvesting skill wise. However for all you Animal Tamers, Gardeners and Scanners there is a long list of skills for you too.

Getting Wood also gives you skills in Biology, Genetics, Analysis, Zoology, Botany. So if these are skills of Importance to you and raising Professions that include these skills then Harvesting is a fast track for that as well. Keep you pet out and harvest trees to help level Pet Taming skills faster.

Now am I claiming you will be Uber if you only just Tree Harvest? NO! Of course not. However if you enjoy skilling and are trying to boost many skills and Professions look no further. Getting Wood will help.

Some might say well the best way to get hunting skills is to well hunt. That is a reasonable argument. However as i mentioned Harvesting is great to weak point skill for some skills that don't happen often in a hunt.

My approach to harvesting is to use it wisely. There is a time to Hunt, Mine, Craft. If my PED card is low or I am waiting for many auctions to come through. I don't have to stop skilling. I can Harvest and get many valuable skills to keep moving toward my end goals. Which is of course some day being Uber Skilled. So this goes in my rotation. I enjoy all activities in Entropia and I can say if starting again I would just start harvesting sooner with all that Sweating i did when I was brand new.

My intentions of this main post was to let everyone know about the skills as most don't then when i talk about it in Rookie chat people PM me with many questions. Some think Abomb is out in the woods wasting his time. Well I have a very different opinion. It's always a good decision to get Wood. It's a great way to skill and improve your Avatar overall. Whether you decide to add it to your Entropia experience is up to you. Feel free to question anything here. Possible I made a mistake in something but that is why the Forums are great.

Hope this Info is helpful and Thanks for reading.

Abomb

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank Mega for his guidance in setting up an Avatar pic and Sig. More of a forum lurker then poster. :D

Yeah I noticed the wide skilling too and used it pretty well in my personal goal of getting 1k points in every skill.

However, that skilling is only best for players who don't specialize in a specific activity. Dedicated hunters/miners/crafters/whatever won't enjoy it.

But for folks like you and me who adjust their playing a lot, it's a beast thing to do. :)

Yeah I noticed the wide skilling too and used it pretty well in my personal goal of getting 1k points in every skill.

However, that skilling is only best for players who don't specialize in a specific activity. Dedicated hunters/miners/crafters/whatever won't enjoy it.

But for folks like you and me who adjust their playing a lot, it's a beast thing to do. :)

I agree with you since yes I am a multiskiller. I had Trifle help me out to test if Resource Gathering unlocked Scientist cause I thought it might and he put it that it seems like a lot of work. (bummed it doesn't unlock it)

I mention its a foundation cause well since I am in my first year of Entropia it has helped me build up many skills in a extremely low cost of PED. A new player trying to figure out what he is going to specialize in one day can pick up a harvester and work on skills till he decides without burning a HOLE in the PED card.

It's the repair skilling of planet side except you get PED back instead of just trading PED for skills.

test if Resource Gathering unlocked Scientist cause I thought it might and he put it that it seems like a lot of work. (bummed it doesn't unlock it)

It should unlock it, because

Getting Wood also gives you skills in Biology, Genetics, Analysis, Zoology, Botany. So if these are skills of Importance to you and raising Professions that include these skills then Harvesting is a fast track for that as well. Keep you pet out and harvest trees to help level Pet Taming skills faster.

Those are mainly the old scanning skills, that contribute to Investigator Prof.

At LVL60 Investigator, Scientist unlocks

If it does not unlock if you reach LVL60 Invertigator by harvesting, just buy a scanner from TT, and scan some people standing around, that should do the job to unlock then.

It should unlock it, because

Those are mainly the old scanning skills, that contribute to Investigator Prof.

At LVL60 Investigator, Scientist unlocks

If it does not unlock if you reach LVL60 Invertigator by harvesting, just buy a scanner from TT, and scan some people standing around, that should do the job to unlock then.

Like A bomb pointed out I tested it, I do have scientist unlocked but did not gain any skills while harvesting

Like A bomb pointed out I tested it, I do have scientist unlocked but did not gain any skills while harvesting

No skill gain for scientist from harvesting ok, but can you unlock scientist with harvesting ?
Thats what I meant, it should be possible to get the skill unlocked.

There is other skills that you can unlock with something else, where the unlocked skill doesn´t contribute to the proffession you used to unlock it.

Example:
You can unlock Material Extraction Methology by crafting anything else but Textures, but only Texture crafting gives Skill Gains for it

Last edited:
No skill gain for scientist from harvesting ok, but can you unlock scientist with harvesting ?
Thats what I meant, it should be possible to get the skill unlocked.

No its not possible, I know a guy having more than lvl 60 harvesting and he hasnt unlocked scientist

No its not possible, I know a guy having more than lvl 60 harvesting and he hasnt unlocked scientist

Sure LVL 60 Harvesting doesn´t unlock it :D

LVL 60 Investigator unlocks it, and with harvesting you gain skills for Investigator Prof, so if you reach LVL 60 Investigator by harvesting, it should unlock Scientist.

LVL 60 Investigator unlocks it, and with harvesting you gain skills for Investigator Prof, so if you reach LVL 60 Investigator by harvesting, it should unlock Scientist.

ah so yes ofcourse :)

Ahhh yes I understand what you are saying because I actually unlocked Power Catalyst by Sweating even though obviously Sweating doesn't unlock it. Just contributing skills bumped up my Pyro to unlock it.

Still wish Harvesting itself unlocked it because it would be a very tall task to unlock Scientist by Harvesting to raise Investigator to 60. Unless they come out with an UL Terratech PH-4 :D

So VSE might be a faster coarse to unlock Scientist although as you said by default I could do it with Harvesting. However still got a long way before I cross that road to figure it out :eyecrazy:

Just wanted to note that Geology contributes to Graduation of Disciple. So anyone that is trying to save PED while graduating could use Harvesting as well. Didn't think of that initially but would actually be the cheapest way to graduate.

So if anyone is willing to test some disciple gains this way and add to the thread it would be appreciated :wtg:

Last edited:
Just wanted to note that Geology contributes to Graduation of Disciple. So anyone that is trying to save PED while graduating could use Harvesting as well. Didn't think of that initially but would actually be the cheapest way to graduate.

Graduating via mining is already nigh impossible (even though extracting claims gives Engineering as well), so harvesting is just a theoretical possibility.

Making it last forever is probably an advantage, however - why strive to graduate sooner if the purpose of the whole thing is to gain knowledge?

Graduating via mining is already nigh impossible (even though extracting claims gives Engineering as well), so harvesting is just a theoretical possibility.

Making it last forever is probably an advantage, however - why strive to graduate sooner if the purpose of the whole thing is to gain knowledge?

I agree with you that graduating via mining is not a good idea at all or to strive for. It's been awhile since i was a disciple and remember it being slow gains as mining.

However I get more Geology from Harvesting then I do from mining. My Geology gains are decent just not sure how much that translates into % for a disciple or if its worth attempting or more of a something to do in addition to Hunting, Repair skilling, crafting etc.

I mean after you get done hunting if you can get an additional couple % from harvesting why not. Not to mention you are always getting back close to TT of PED spent which is the benefit for low PED spenders trying to graduate.

Just some thoughts

Last edited:
ty Abomb for posting such a long winded discourse.
Your writing style (conversational) is a gift enabling you to explain in a manner that engages a reading audience.
Pls keep up the great self-analytical skilling posts, they're most helpful to non-intellectuals like me.
Honey x

Last edited:
Just wanted to update been away for a little break but came back been harvesting. Finally got Great Resource Gatherer Level 30 Woot!! :yay: Wanted to get that achievement as I work on my Iron missions.

Resource Gatherer Skill - 3,665

Guess the next big goal is 4,000 Resource Gatherer Skill Pts.

Good Job! I'll remember this for when I am broke and can't hunt anymore.

Good Job! I'll remember this for when I am broke and can't hunt anymore.

Indeed it's very helpful. Instead of banging my head against the No Loot Wall. I say time to harvest. Sometimes I do pick spots that have Iron Missions too so 2 birds one stone. Oddly that is when sometimes I get a nice Global too off a random mob when harvesting. Keeps me moving toward my goals without erasing my PED card ;)

Reactions: Mac
Update The Abomb now has Inspiring Wood! Level 32 Resource Gatherer and closing in on that 4k skills. 3960

Very informative :)
I am also intersted in harvesting but i wonder how much return do you have with harvesting alone? 90%, 80% or close to 100%?
And did you ever get a harvesting global or some rare item while harvesting or just wood?

Also i wonder what you can doo with wood, except TTing it?

Very informative :)
I am also intersted in harvesting but i wonder how much return do you have with harvesting alone? 90%, 80% or close to 100%?
And did you ever get a harvesting global or some rare item while harvesting or just wood?

Also i wonder what you can doo with wood, except TTing it?

Don't think anyone will get actually swirls or for it to ever register a Global. I think my highest tree was around 12 ped think I have heard of 16 ped. Usually anytime you get an 8 pedder you should be very happy. Extremely rare though. Now this of course is with a PH-3 so i imagine with a PH-4 it would be more if you had one equipped however there aren't any unlimited ones yet.

Id say you should be around 90% TT return longterm only harvesting it's possible to be up.

You can craft composite planks which I have globaled on however I TT most of the Wood because I cycle so much and well there is no demand.

Every furniture BP should use Harvested Wood. So this needs to happen.

a bit of an old thread, but still fairly useful.

Makes wandering around PA and Icarus areas now that I'm done with the puny iron mission a bit more exciting when I get bored taming all of those bristlehogs.

Actually took a stroll north of the PA mall for what I think may be the third time in my avatar's history... Usually just running past the place to get to the tp, or some terminal. Like the swamp camp rope bridges not too far from there. Little things like that make the game more 'homey'... Still a long way to go to get to pre vu 10 look and feel, but it's starting to get there with little tweaks like this, and new missions, etc. Found a new little mission waiting for me in the npc at swamp camp just now. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to stop and smell the virtual roses when you have insomnia, even, or perhaps especially when you get hay fever irl.

Last edited:
With the recent VU and changes to many skills I do hope Professions like Resource Gathering and Gardening get some updates and maybe an HP boost ;)

Since the great Lag in Sept I recently have grown tired of trying to hunt in it. So taking a step back to side skill and focus on Harvest skilling again.

Been making some good gains skill wise and been using 4 PH-1's per run. Will update periodically with any useful info on harvesting for long periods. Guess I will keep busy doing other things till I see permanent signs of server stability and loot.

I do want to hit 38 lvl so I can have Professional Wood :cool:

cause one click by your mentor is enough to delete all your progress. once it's done, it's done for good. that is always a good thing

I like harvesting, esp. since I need to run the way from the cornundacauda to pa to get/do the dailies and back again almost every day. I think I have level 9

Last edited:
I also enjoy harvesting and when I have nothing to do I explore while looking for harvestable trees.
There are always interesting things to see, is part of the enjoyment.

It is interesting how quickly a harvestable tree respawns - but not necessarily as the same size, and the harvest will depend on how long since it was last harvested.

I have only been interested in H & L trees, but I seem to recall reading that S trees give the greatest increase in skills - is this the case?

With the recent VU and changes to many skills I do hope Professions like Resource Gathering and Gardening get some updates and maybe an HP boost ;)

Since the great Lag in Sept I recently have grown tired of trying to hunt in it. So taking a step back to side skill and focus on Harvest skilling again.

Been making some good gains skill wise and been using 4 PH-1's per run. Will update periodically with any useful info on harvesting for long periods. Guess I will keep busy doing other things till I see permanent signs of server stability and loot.

I do want to hit 38 lvl so I can have Professional Wood :cool:

Why do you use ph1 ?

Why do you use ph1 ?

PH-1 is the same skills as PH-3

I know what you are thinking no way there is decay and the decay is higher on PH-3. While that is true the skills just don't function like that for harvesting currently. In discussions with someone around my level I tested it and realized I get the same skills. So Manic who also is a big harvester tracked his skills through the same period as me got the same results.

Not to mention it produces less wood so less carried weight and just easier to skill for longer without having to worry about repair bills or being overweight.

So 4 PH-1's usually fills me up and is a good run (about 120 trees) then I head back in TT everything. Buy 4 more and then head back out.

So as far as skilling the PH-1 is far better because it's the same skills as PH-3 as well as the other reasons. So I only use a PH-3 on Huge trees for that Wood and then sell when it is needed at MU. (not much MU anymore we need more uses for wood);)

Last edited:
I also enjoy harvesting and when I have nothing to do I explore while looking for harvestable trees.
There are always interesting things to see, is part of the enjoyment.

It is interesting how quickly a harvestable tree respawns - but not necessarily as the same size, and the harvest will depend on how long since it was last harvested.

I have only been interested in H & L trees, but I seem to recall reading that S trees give the greatest increase in skills - is this the case?

Well there are 2 functions timer and how much wood the tree has to offer.

The most pulls you can get without faster reload is 8 if the tree is full of wood to offer. You can get 9 with faster reload.

Huge trees rarely last to 8 or 9 pulls and can disappear on the first pull even. They just don't have the wood to offer. Which also makes them no only rare but when you find one you might not get anyone wood out of it.

Small trees usually allow you to get to 8 or 9 pulls so more opportunity to skill and also found they usually have the best multipliers but probably just because there are more so it is noticeable.

Well that explains a few things so thanks Abomb.
Just to clarify though, H trees can have more than 1 plank - depends how long since they were last harvested.

And,, if you harvest a H tree with a PH 1, surely you would get more than one plank (that being a short plank as that is all a PH 1 will give you)

And again, I have not checked the prices of wood planks but wouldn't L & H planks be worthwhile to sell.

I do a lot of harvesting, but no way in the world would I get 120 trees - I had been looking at things through an economic lens only - maybe I should have been giving more thought to skilling as well.

So as far as skilling the PH-1 is far better because it's the same skills as PH-3 as well as the other reasons. So I only use a PH-3 on Huge trees for that Wood and then sell when it is needed at MU. (not much MU anymore we need more uses for wood);)

Agree!
Use PH-3 on H trees only!

Back