Windows 10 problem

krazykat

Prowler
Cassandra Red Savage
I recently got a new win. 10 computer specifically to play EU. From the start, I've had problems with it randomly restarting while in game. I managed to partly fix this problem by changing various power and graphics settings, but I could still not run the game on anything more than medium, anything above that and the computer restarted as soon as I tried to log on. So I've been running the game on medium for the last few weeks with only an occasional random restart.

However, yesterday it started to restart as soon as I tried to log on to EU. I've managed to log on by setting the client loader to safe mode, but that's not very satisfactory. I've done some research previously when I first got the machine and it seems that this business of random restarts is a well known issue with win 10. And I've no idea why it should suddenly start to restart when I try to log on to EU when it was OK before.

Any ideas and suggestions welcome :)

Normally the Windows 10 random restart is due to various updates that users can't stop from taking place.

It's a stupid policy, and it is known to cause issues. With that said, I don't think you get updates on a daily basis.

What version of Windows 10? Driver versions?
Hardware specs?
What resolution / graphics quality you get problems at?

Normally the Windows 10 random restart is due to various updates that users can't stop from taking place.

It's a stupid policy, and it is known to cause issues. With that said, I don't think you get updates on a daily basis.

Hardware specs?

The updates only take place during your chosen times, it learns your quiet periods and set it there, you can change it however. it won't be windows 10 itself that is causing it

with resets dependent on graphic settings make me suspect its one of many issues; temps, power supply, drivers for GPU or motherboard or the way the GPU is seated and is either cutting out or static discharging on the case.

Check Event Viewer for any errors or reasons
try opening it up and cleaning all dust with canned air (remember to avoid the liquid in the cans as it can damage circuits, never shake or use upside down) , especially in the GPU. check the GPU is seated correctly, fans work and power cables are fully inserted.
download something to monitor temps, i use HWmonitor, any CPU temp about 70 or GPU nearing 80 are issues.
download all new drivers, maybe bios too
try stopping certain softwares running incase of conflicts like Game DVR in windows 10 and shadowplay in Nivida, maybe power management ones too like Afterburner. if it works, slowly re-enable one by one

as its new i feel the PSU must be correctly rated and you would hope the GPU is correctly installed and dust free

Last edited:
I had a problem with Win 10 where it kept randomly restarting every 5-10 min, even without running anything computationally heavy. Turned out that Windows was replacing Nvidia's driver with its own version. Uninstalling it and installing the one from Nvidia's site was fixing the problem - until the next Win updates check. In the end I forbade Win to update any drivers and had no problems since then.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll look at the various things suggested. I'll add though that the restarts only happen when I'm in EU not otherwise which suggests to me that its a graphics issue.

Hardware specs?

Its Win 10 pro version 1607. AMD FX 6350 6 core processor, AMD R9 380 graphics card, 8 Gig RAM,

It was running fine on medium setting in EU then suddenly started to restart every time that I tried to log on. Fortunately I can get into the game on my laptop which is W7, but I'd rather be using the PC which boots up in seconds (SSD drive) and was intended to be used only for playing EU.

Do you have your cpu or gpu overclocked? If so, restore to stock speeds and see if it continues.

Rebooting is often caused by some sort of power problem, not enough power from the power supply, instable power supply, not enough voltage to the cpu or gpu, etc.

Or, overheating, check your temps.

It sounds like an overheat to me.. :dunce:

Do you have your cpu or gpu overclocked? If so, restore to stock speeds and see if it continues.

Rebooting is often caused by some sort of power problem, not enough power from the power supply, instable power supply, not enough voltage to the cpu or gpu, etc.

Or, overheating, check your temps.

Its not overclocked and I don't think that it can be due to overheating a because start - up takes a matter of seconds, (SSD drive) then I'm into EU logon right away so its usually just a minute or two between computer start - up and EU logon - not long enough to get overheated. Then its rebooting as soon as the client starts to load. But following advice, I've changed some settings and I did manage to log on and stay logged on this afternoon. I'll try it again tomorrow and see if it'll stay on through a mining run.

From what I can see online, this is a common problem with W 10 there are lots of posts about it on various tech forums so I don't think that this is due to some specific problem with my machine. however, I'll monitor the cpu temp. next time that I log on just to be sure.

Make sure all your updates are installed to, outside of EU.

Some updates annoy me and restart my computer when I least expect it.

Never had a problem with Win 10 always restarting the comp tho, so could be other problems.

how many watt have your PSU?

your cpu alone use 125W. I recomment to use a 700W PSU, to be sure you have enough power.
How is the cpu and gpu temp? AMD cpu like to have a good cooling.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a recent build (AMD A8-7600) and the problem turned out to be the PSU. I'd tried to build it as cheap as possible and got a cheap case with a 500W PSU already installed. When it arrived it only had a single 4 pin CPU connector, mate said it would be ok but it got random restarts (built 2 of these and both had same problem)

I replaced it with a 430W EVGA 80PLUS (http://www.ebuyer.com/766944-evga-430w-80-white-series-psu-100-w1-0430-k3) which had 2x 4pin CPU connectors and haven't had a problem since on either machine. Not sure it if was the extra connector or simply that the cheap PSU was shit, but I've learned my lesson.

The problem i had once, with my AMD phenom cpu, was to use the original fan and cooler from the kit. Always, if i was at gaming, the cpu was running hot, and crashed system.
So installed a much larger cooler, and problem was gone.

@ Slither:
Wondering what Grafic card you be running, if your PSU is only a 430W.
I always made good experiances, by using a larger PSU, instead to run a PSU on full power. It will life a lot longer then, and it dont consume much more power from net, as a small one, running on full power.

@Slither:
Wondering what Grafic card you be running, if your PSU is only a 430W.
I always made good experiances, by using a larger PSU, instead to run a PSU on full power. It will life a lot longer then, and it dont consume much more power from net, as a small one, running on full power.

I'm just using the integrated gfx on the A8 chip (500gb SSD & 16gb ram), the A8-7600 only draws 65W. Runs entropia on medium settings fine while I'm watching netflix or surfing the net.

My daughter has added a GTX 1050 to hers so I got her a 500W PSU. Online tools say it won't draw more than 300W so the 430 would probably have been ok but decided to give it a bit of breathing room.

Last edited:
Its Win 10 pro version 1607. AMD FX 6350 6 core processor, AMD R9 380 graphics card, 8 Gig RAM,

It was running fine on medium setting in EU then suddenly started to restart every time that I tried to log on. Fortunately I can get into the game on my laptop which is W7, but I'd rather be using the PC which boots up in seconds (SSD drive) and was intended to be used only for playing EU.

I had a similar issue long ago. Whenever I started a 3D game, my screen will get corrupted / system crash. Found out was a graphics card problem.

Can you play other 3D games? Do you have problems in other 3D games?

Back