Disturbing News for German Streamers

San

Elite
Society
OldTimers
Sandal San Tolk
Some official busybody has discovered that some Youtube and Twitch channels are comparable to traditional radio and TV programs and hence are forced to apply for a broadcasting license. I haven't looked up how much the application fee alone would come up to, not to speak of all the other consequences...

In German:
http://www.mmnews.de/index.php/politik/105085-youtuber-brauchen-in-zukunft-rundfunklizenz

Machine translation:
https://translate.google.com/transl...5-youtuber-brauchen-in-zukunft-rundfunklizenz

when ive seen people doing the game panel shows, that i could understand getting attention, its pretty much pirate radio style. But to blanket tax all channels/users would probably destroy Twitch.

as the government has now taken notice, i assume they will be checking taxes are paid on earnings too

The effort to control Internet by governments is always a little disturbing, but afaik this new policy will affect the Youtubers/Twitchers who's channels are monetized.
You're making money -> government tries to tax you. It had to end there sooner or later.

However, it seems there's some pretty troubling deviations in how exactly those new policies are applied. YT news channels for the mainstream media corporations are left alone while independent YT news channels are restricted and/or demonetized. This looks shady indeed.

The effort to control Internet by governments is always a little disturbing, but afaik this new policy will affect the Youtubers/Twitchers who's channels are monetized.
You're making money -> government tries to tax you. It had to end there sooner or later.
This policy doesn't target the money. Of course you owe tax if you're making any, regardless challenges to enforcement. No, this targets your right to broadcast at all, if your program has certain characteristics which make it fit the description in the laws made long before there was internet. And they did say the law needs to be updated, but they will use what is there until that happens. They will exercise their power for the heck of it, regardless whether it makes any sense under current realities.

I wonder if all countries had its own licence requirements, would you need a licence for each country you broadcast to or one from you origin

Befor opening another sky is falling thread, people should investigate what the issue is!

PietSwietTV, the twitch channel in question, is sending 24/7 with a programm.
Thats by german rights is the same as operating a radio/TV channel, so it needs a licence to do that.
Beside that some other Twitch Channels in germany already got such a licence!

The operators of PietSwietTV, actually agree to the officials, and checking right now, what this licence will cost them. If its ok for them, they will continue offically with this channel, but if it is to expencive to get such a licence they simply will shut down this channel.
This channel is not their streaming channel, its a channel that send videos of recorded streams 24/7.

The issue with that channel will in not influence their streaming activity, that actually happens in a different channel.

As I and many others understand it, its not about streaming in general.

Streaming in germany will still be allowed without the need of a licence.

Befor opening another sky is falling thread, people should ...
No they don't. There's no need to belittle people who have different opinion than you.
I sincerely believe with the freedom of speech even the smallest negative sign is worth paying attention. If there's nothing serious, all the better--and you still did the right thing. :yup:

This is not a "sky is falling" thread. It was pointed out at the beginning, and is elaborated in the article, that specific criteria have to be met to fall under this regulation. What I find disturbing is the fervour and attitude with which officials find themselves obligated to apply regulations from the stone age of media just because some wording can be seen to fit. Then they come down like a ton of bricks on folks who would have never thought to encounter such things. I've already emigrated...

There is a better version of the above here:

https://detektor.fm/digital/pietsmiettv-onlinevideos-sind-auch-rundfunk

(The site seems to refuse being shown inside a frame under https://translate.google.com, need to copy & paste the text manually to get the translation.)

License fees are mentioned between 2500 and 10,000 Euro, which, like most things the state does is obviously priced arbitrarily, but targeted to be doable for a commercial operation. It's the hobbyists who will be driven out. I guess we will hear soon after this month how this pans out for PietSmietTV, and if/how it trickles down further.

Haven't been following it too closely, but remembered today and this is the outcome: PietSmietTV has ceased streaming. Didn't find anything newer than the announcement, which was made at the beginning of May, and some commentary immediately afterwards. Obviously there is no positive outlook to fight the ruling.

http://www.playnation.de/spiele-new...stream-ende-wegen-rundfunklizenz-id69972.html
https://translate.google.com/transl...-wegen-rundfunklizenz-id69972.html&edit-text=

This doesn't mean the sky is falling, but it's a puzzle piece fitting well into the big picture. To my fellow countrymen, my personal sentiment: Verlaßt das Land, wenn ihr könnt.

As much as I'm itching to chip in, the discussion is going off the rails. <removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
/mod note/

This thread is about government fees etc on Youtube/Twitch streaming, NOT about the regulation of 'hate speech' content in Germany (or other countries).

Please note that real world controversial discussion is not permitted on this forum:
Forum Rules said:
3.6 - Real-world Controversial Discussion
Discussion of real world politics, nationalism, religion, war, or other similarly controversial topics is NOT permitted or appropriate for this forum. PlanetCalypsoForum, as the game, is a global community with players from many different countries around the world. Discussion of such topics often disrupts the forum community. Therefore, refrain from starting or participating in any such discussions, as they will be deleted from the forum without notice.

:topic:

Back