Info: Explain as much dumnproof as possible waht exactly sights and scopes do?

Pratahn

Guardian
I searched the forum and while I may have missed a good explanation (in this case link to it will be very appreciate), in most of the posts the information guesses or even outright contradictory.
So:
1. The description of the lase sights says:
-skill mod (%) -if I understood correctly this % reduces the level requirement; if the gun needs lvl 60 for fully maxed with skill mod (%) 20 then with such laser sight it will be full maxed at 60 - 60x0.20 - 48 lvl. Is that right?
Also some ppl were telling the skill mod (%) doesn't work as intended. Is that corrected already?

- what exactly is "Attachment skill bonus" 2.0?

Also it seems on some gun you can mount more then one sight. Is that correct and if it is, how to understand which guns are those?

2. The description of the scopes says:
Skill mod (%) 2.0 - is this the same as with the sights? But just 2% reducing the lvl requirements?
Attachment skill bonus 0,6 - is this like the sights too?
Magnification 1-6X - is this only visual?

Also it seems some players believe scopes and/or sights increase the max range of the gun. If that true?

the easiest description of what scopes and sights do is this: they do absolutely nothing. at least not on maxed weapons. might as well have no effect on unmaxed weapons either, at least not after my tests.
exception of this are the +crit chance sights n scopes.
only difference with scopes in general though is the visual zooming in first person mode.

also the description says that the further away from a target you are the better you hit it. doesnt seem to have any impact at all either. not on maxed nor on unmaxed weapons. friend of mine cycled 40k peds with and without it and the hitrate was pretty much exactly the same.
atm they all just add decay, which may or may not be partly returned in loot.

interesting question.

*Subscribing*

I haven't published it, but it was visible in my stream stat system. Sight/scopes do nothing. They don't improve hit rates. They did not increase green lines.

If anything, you could claim the decay adds to the skill effect of each green line. But at my level, it was not detectable. I did not gain any more levels per hour than without on the same mob.

The only other claim is it could trigger some globals/hofs faster because of the extreme decay. But you could not prove it since you don't have all the variables. Either way, it cost 1% extra cost to give me seemingly nothing in return.

It would be wise for them to modernize these attachments and just add plain buffs on them (even just a 1% skill buff) instead of what is the player base inferring or wishing they would do based on text mindark stated in a very vague way.

If anything, you could claim the decay adds to the skill effect of each green line. But at my level, it was not detectable.
As far as I know this is the effect.

Back in 2006 or 2007 there was a bug that showed skill gains to 7 decimal places.
it looked like: You have gained rifle skill (0.857362)
While all skills have a variance, it could be seen in those last few places a difference with/without attachments. May have changed ofc. But it adds up over time.

Plus, I hold the belief that it adds to total decay on the shot, which helps slightly when multiplying loot modifiers.

With that said I have used them since 2007 in every weapon I shoot. I have no regrets and definitely think I wouldn't have 400k TS by now if I went without. (always using hunnir/jzar)
I would guess overall maybe 10-30k in skills worth of gain at this point, nothing major overall but enough to be here now. (total speculation though no concrete data)

Last edited:
They should really put out a "Developer-Notes" type thing regarding scopes/sights/whatever, or if they do literally do nothing as many have chosen to believe based off of their tests using them, they should be reworked, like atomicstorm suggested, to provide small straightforward skill gain buffs (maybe around 1% 2% 3% 5% 10%, based off of their decay).

I'd love to see the debate over whether or not these actually do anything put to rest already.

Light Before

Light After

I wouldn't buy an S&B Mounted Light P2 (L) at the moment.

A Version Update broke it a while ago, Mindark have been informed and it seems they dont know what they did to break it. So I suspect it will stay like it looks in picture 2 for some time to come.

Scopes do what they are intented to do, you see things from further away. They still work fine, and on long range sniper rifles, they are very useful indeed! :sniper:

I find scopes very useful both for zoom and increase in lighting while zoomed.

I'm not convinced there is any real benefit from sights apart from the arkadian gun mounted torches - which as mentioned above are currently bugged.

the easiest description of what scopes and sights do is this: they do absolutely nothing. at least not on maxed weapons. might as well have no effect on unmaxed weapons either, at least not after my tests.
exception of this are the +crit chance sights n scopes.
only difference with scopes in general though is the visual zooming in first person mode.

also the description says that the further away from a target you are the better you hit it. doesnt seem to have any impact at all either. not on maxed nor on unmaxed weapons. friend of mine cycled 40k peds with and without it and the hitrate was pretty much exactly the same.
atm they all just add decay, which may or may not be partly returned in loot.

This pretty much sums it all up.

Back