Question: Being a 'good' hunter

DerpinDaisy

hey everyone, I've played Entropia on and off for years.

Recently my brother has shown some interest in the game which has me going again. Really the only thing I've enjoyed in Entropia is exploration and hunting. My highest skills are Laser/BLP 30-35 (Profession level) and his are somewhere in the 10's. We team hunt when we can afford to DEPO, and we TT anything that we can't make maybe +1ped profit on using the auction. We don't really do missions (although I have completed a lot of the starter missions, and a few 1k's for atrox etc.)

So with that preface I would love to hear some tips about becoming a better hunter. My biggest questions are as follows :
  1. How does a good hunter decide what to hunt?
  2. Do you stick to a mob until you complete a mission or do you set another goal? (we tend to switch mobs frequently)
  3. How does a good hunter decide which missions to pursue?
  4. Does a good hunter buy an armor set for lets say one/two specific mobs and hunt them until they complete very large mission milestones?

Thank you so much for anyone that took the time to read this and respond. The very best of luck to everyone.

hey everyone, I've played Entropia on and off for years.

Recently my brother has shown some interest in the game which has me going again. Really the only thing I've enjoyed in Entropia is exploration and hunting. My highest skills are Laser/BLP 30-35 (Profession level) and his are somewhere in the 10's. We team hunt when we can afford to DEPO, and we TT anything that we can't make maybe +1ped profit on using the auction. We don't really do missions (although I have completed a lot of the starter missions, and a few 1k's for atrox etc.)

So with that preface I would love to hear some tips about becoming a better hunter. My biggest questions are as follows :
  1. How does a good hunter decide what to hunt?
  2. Do you stick to a mob until you complete a mission or do you set another goal? (we tend to switch mobs frequently)
  3. How does a good hunter decide which missions to pursue?
  4. Does a good hunter buy an armor set for lets say one/two specific mobs and hunt them until they complete very large mission milestones?

Thank you so much for anyone that took the time to read this and respond. The very best of luck to everyone.

I don't really know but here are my opinion.

1. He looks for markup
2. Only if the mob has markup
3. He test the mob for markup in loot
4. He uses whatever armor is needed for that mob :)

Did I mention that markup is important?

Did I mention that markup is important?
but completing missions makes it a bit more fun. Try 2 or 3 missions with mobs that count towards each. Lahar is a good place to start. Start kerbie iron while doing the lahar chain so each Kill counts for 2 missions, etc.

I don't know how good it is, it's just what works for me.

1. I prefer mobs that aren't hunted much. I check EL for mobs with minimal/zero recent activity that fit my tastes and start working through the list. Not hard to guess that most of the time I prefer to stay away from Calypso :)
2. I switch a lot. If I don't like the first 15-20 kills (e.g. most drops < 80% of the cost to kill), I switch to the next mob in the list; if I run out of the list, I switch planets.
3. I don't care for missions, I just have all hunting challenges active and do my thing. Some missions eventually get completed, some don't move for years, fine, it's a bonus, not a goal. I enjoy the process and don't need carrots to keep me going.
4. In 90% cases I don't use armor, I use adj.resto+mod2350 combo, and if it's not enough for something, I consider it above my level and avoid. I'm 82 lvl laser sniper, 48 lvl evader, and I prefer L25-40 mobs.

, I consider it above my level and avoid. I'm 82 lvl laser sniper, 48 lvl evader, and I prefer L25-40 mobs.

Impressive self-control to not go on bigger one, teach me please :woot:

And to answer the topic, there is already good answers so i will just add :

Go hunt what is fun ...because it's, at first, a game :yay:

but completing missions makes it a bit more fun. Try 2 or 3 missions with mobs that count towards each. Lahar is a good place to start. Start kerbie iron while doing the lahar chain so each Kill counts for 2 missions, etc.

Ill say make the missions when its the right moment, there is demand for outputs go kreltin :) , combat tokens ? go maffoid at tent and so on :p

1. How does a good hunter decide what to hunt? If it's manageable long term in terms of bankroll and have a suitable gear setup and also if there are other hunters hunting that mob. (More players at the poker table means a bigger jackpot, that's my philosophy.)
  2. Do you stick to a mob until you complete a mission or do you set another goal? (we tend to switch mobs frequently). If the mob your hunting has robbed you, stick around till it coughs up your ped and some, otherwise this goes to another player via global and they end up profiting due to your loss. So continuing a quest challenge from beginning to end is a very good discipline to have and do.
  3. How does a good hunter decide which missions to pursue? Usually reward skills that would contribute to these points; health, evade & dodge should be given priority and that way you can prioritise quests as well, taking into account if the mob has reasonable markup but isn't everything now a days, as you can profit from TT alone now, but you have to hunt more eco than the next guy for the same mob.
  4. Does a good hunter buy an armor set for lets say one/two specific mobs and hunt them until they complete very large mission milestones? This is totally up to you, of course having a choice of armour sets and plates is advantageous, however you can simply buy a decent healing tool instead, as the economy is better i.e. anything at 18 heal per pec and over, I use Adjusted Restoration Chip it's eco is comparable to that of mod fap :D.

please look over my annotations and any more questions raised do mention.

If you want more information please check the link in my signature: Learn How To Survive.
It's a thread I made to educate people on how to hunt and be consistent even if loots not.

If you want more information please check the link in my signature: Learn How To Survive.
It's a thread I made to educate people on how to hunt and be consistent even if loots not.

You really hit everything on the head that I was asking for.

Thanks to everyone that responded! This will surely help my decisions on hunting in the future.

heal tools do have a higher eco, but that doesnt mean that your returns will be better. self healing is not returned in loot while decay on your armor partly is. that means that if your healing cost per mob is bigger than the not returned decay part you are still losing out.

self healing is not returned in loot while decay on your armor partly is.

Please do show some proof even if its over a small data set or perhaps any test you have links to which brings you to this conclusion.

heal tools do have a higher eco, but that doesnt mean that your returns will be better. self healing is not returned in loot while decay on your armor partly is. that means that if your healing cost per mob is bigger than the not returned decay part you are still losing out.

I wouldn't go that far with that bold statement unless I work as loot engineer @ mindark

I wouldn't go that far with that bold statement unless I work as loot engineer @ mindark

there have been dozens of tests confirming this over the last decade. i bet you find some of them when searching the forum. our stats guy tested it and he said its roughly 50% returned up to a certain maximum depending on mob ofc. but its easy to test urself:
just kill 100 mobs and check the average return naked. then do the same but wear high protection armor, let urself git hit enough before damaging it to generate decay and then kill them and compare the averages.

heal tools do have a higher eco, but that doesn't mean that your returns will be better. Self healing is not returned in loot while decay on your armour partly is. That means that if your healing cost per mob is bigger than the not returned decay part you are still losing out.

I agree, however as I now own adjusted restoration chip there's no chance of that happening :).

Now most economical armour setups do tend to be around the 15 dmg absorbed per pec range.

You multiply this by 150% as to your suggestion and the threshold is around 22-23 heal per pec .

Around the 25 heal per pec range is optimal range and there is a lot of options in-game for this.

Last edited:
there have been dozens of tests confirming this over the last decade. i bet you find some of them when searching the forum. our stats guy tested it and he said its roughly 50% returned up to a certain maximum depending on mob ofc. but its easy to test urself:
just kill 100 mobs and check the average return naked. then do the same but wear high protection armor, let urself git hit enough before damaging it to generate decay and then kill them and compare the averages.

I wouldn't draw conclusion on 100 mobs.If I would track I would kill at least 100000 mobs if I am looking for an answer.

I wouldn't draw conclusion on 100 mobs.If I would track I would kill at least 100000 mobs if I am looking for an answer.

sure. if you want to pin it down to an accurate percentage you need to do that. but when you see a very obvious trend it is safe to say that the theory works. no need to overtest it when its obvious.

sure. if you want to pin it down to an accurate percentage you need to do that. but when you see a very obvious trend it is safe to say that the theory works. no need to overtest it when its obvious.

It doesn't look obvious to me.

It doesn't look obvious to me.

oh you did the test already in the last hour? nice. you might want to post your results then as they are very up to date.
or did you just assume how the test would go and did actually do nothing and have no clue what you were talking about?

oh you did the test already in the last hour? nice. you might want to post your results then as they are very up to date.
or did you just assume how the test would go and did actually do nothing and have no clue what you were talking about?

I am not assuming anything , YOU ARE.

Mate you are talking to one of the hardest grinders in this game:lolup::lolup::lolup:

100 mobs is only SECONDS in the time-loot scale, but you wouldn't know that because you don't hunt.....

I am not assuming anything , YOU ARE.

what makes you think that? i did the test a long time ago. as have lots of my mates. and one of them is a hyper stats freak. and all got the same results. coincidence? on that scale? i doubt that. but believe what you want. you seem to have enough money to not care anyway.

what makes you think that? i did the test a long time ago. as have lots of my mates. and one of them is a hyper stats freak. and all got the same results. coincidence? on that scale? i doubt that. but believe what you want. you seem to have enough money to not care anyway.

prove it then show profs that can't be contradicted.

prove it then show profs that can't be contradicted.

no matter what i would write and show you you wouldnt believe it anyway and would suggest its either faked, done wrong or whatever. just do the test yourself and see for yourself if u want to know and dont believe me. its so easy. i even told you what to do. cant really do more here.

I would love to see that proof, wont judge or anything I just want to see it for myself since the topic is interesting.

no matter what i would write and show you you wouldnt believe it anyway and would suggest its either faked, done wrong or whatever. just do the test yourself and see for yourself if u want to know and dont believe me. its so easy. i even told you what to do. cant really do more here.

Just because you've done some tests it doesn't mean its how it works.You could have said how it works for you from the very start but you instead said it like you know how the whole loot mechanism works.

I have seen this "Armor gets paid back in decay" being mentioned pretty often lately all of the sudden.

I am very interested in seeing the post or data that I may have missed here on forum. There are plenty of us here who really like analyzing things like this so please share your work, hypothesis, idea... As it stands now, to my knowledge the community is certainly not in agreement on this, I like to see things from all sides so please share :) we learn more all the time!

~008

I have seen this "Armor gets paid back in decay" being mentioned pretty often lately all of the sudden.

I am very interested in seeing the post or data that I may have missed here on forum. There are plenty of us here who really like analyzing things like this so please share your work, hypothesis, idea... As it stands now, to my knowledge the community is certainly not in agreement on this, I like to see things from all sides so please share :) we learn more all the time!

~008
Just don't trust tests done on 100 mobs.. Those are a joke and an insult to our intelligence...

0 relevance here. to do such a test you would have to do something like

Step 1. 1 mil ped on a 1k HP mob, w/o def cost. 3 times. so 3 mil ped
Step 2. 1 mil ped on same mob, with armor. 3 times. watch variance, should be close to 0 for the entire test.
Step 3. chip out evade and repeat stage 2. watch variance as above..

If you get a variance bigger than 2% in stage 1, repeat. My assumption is tht yo will stay stuck in stage one forever, because you cannot determine a base return from a mob, even with the same setup, over long periods of time.

I tracked over 500k mobs, various types, return is not stable enough to try and test if armor decay returns in loot or not. You and your f*cking 100 mob test are so ridiculous that it's crystal clear you will really never understand these things ever.

I tracked over 500k mobs, various types, return is not stable enough to try and test if armor decay returns in loot or not. You and your f*cking 100 mob test are so ridiculous that it's crystal clear you will really never understand these things ever.

Considering the guys name and how baseless his posts are this was all really apparent from the start. I really hope the community can learn from these things and further improve our knowledge of Entropia. Like performing tests with a bigger sample size than 100 mobs.

Back