EU Advert On Foxnews.com

Optimator

Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Dingus Optimator Khan
So this morning, I click on the headline article on the main page of foxnews.com and this EU video advert comes on prior to the main article vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv6I7P0il2M&ab_channel=EntropiaUniverseOfficialChannel

Because I wasn't really paying attention to it, it didn't hit me until at least a good 15-20 seconds into the video that it was an ad for EU AND that it was on a major news website. I was like, "Oh snap! EU! On Fox, wtf?"

I'm wondering if it's one of those things where I'm seeing it because the ad generator thing they were using knows my preferences somehow. Has anyone seen it on any other sites? The video is from three years ago, but I had only ever seen it previously on youtube, never anywhere else.

Fauxnews LOL - i guess people watch it for entertainment, hopefully not for news.

So this morning, I click on the headline article on the main page of foxnews.com and this EU video advert comes on prior to the main article vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv6I7P0il2M&ab_channel=EntropiaUniverseOfficialChannel

Because I wasn't really paying attention to it, it didn't hit me until at least a good 15-20 seconds into the video that it was an ad for EU AND that it was on a major news website. I was like, "Oh snap! EU! On Fox, wtf?"

I'm wondering if it's one of those things where I'm seeing it because the ad generator thing they were using knows my preferences somehow. Has anyone seen it on any other sites? The video is from three years ago, but I had only ever seen it previously on youtube, never anywhere else.

yep, it's been the commercial before the videos for a few weeks now.

Fauxnews LOL - i guess people watch it for entertainment, hopefully not for news.

Because other sources are more credible... nope.. they're worse.

And to this, advertising on the internet mostly sucks. Its cookie based meaning most who get this ad already know about it... and is wasted.

The way modern advertising works... Companies looking to advertise their business add "keywords" to an advertising campaign. When a user searches for or visits websites matching these keywords, the advertising platform (google adsense pretty much) automatically injects relevant ads to any website which serves the platforms ads for a period of time. At least for this type of advertising, you can also directly target specific websites or website genre's instead of specific user browsing history or cookies.

So the ads you see are usually completely different from the ads anyone else will see, pretty much. You see entropia ads because you've looked stuff up on entropia :wise:

Entropia probably targets keywords such as "entropia, mmo, online gaming, video games, warcraft, second life, eve" etc.

I wonder where people go to get their news when the news is not news :scratch2:

Just follow this simple rule of thumb. Don't believe any "news" until it's been posted for 24-48 hours and error corrections *cough*, I mean "updates", have been issued.

Looking at you, NY Times.

:dunce:

The way modern advertising works... Companies looking to advertise their business add "keywords" to an advertising campaign. When a user searches for or visits websites matching these keywords, the advertising platform (google adsense pretty much) automatically injects relevant ads to any website which serves the platforms ads for a period of time. At least for this type of advertising, you can also directly target specific websites or website genre's instead of specific user browsing history or cookies.

So the ads you see are usually completely different from the ads anyone else will see, pretty much. You see entropia ads because you've looked stuff up on entropia :wise:

Entropia probably targets keywords such as "entropia, mmo, online gaming, video games, warcraft, second life, eve" etc.

I figured as much. Well, hopefully at least other gamers come upon the ad by how you explained it.

It makes sense to advertise someplace where the largest user demographic doesn't live in mom's basement.

I wonder where people go to get their news when the news is not news :scratch2:

News these days isn't news unless seen as full video-cast live stream. :laugh: Or CNN. :eyecrazy:

Hmm...

Showing the latest and greatest the game has to offer in a video published in 2013... CHECK.
Total of about 42,000 views (less than $100 ad cost)... CHECK.
Video portrays about 0.3% of what the game is actually about... CHECK.
Ad shown on #1 hub for MMO gamers (aka Foxnews.com)... CHECK.
Mindark marketing at it's finest... CHECK.

Sounds about right.

:lolup:

Hmm...

Showing the latest and greatest the game has to offer in a video published in 2013... CHECK.
Total of about 42,000 views (less than $100 ad cost)... CHECK.
Video portrays about 0.3% of what the game is actually about... CHECK.
Ad shown on #1 hub for MMO gamers (aka Foxnews.com)... CHECK.
Mindark marketing at it's finest... CHECK.

Sounds about right.

:lolup:

Lol :laugh:

MindArk's marketing team seems to not know their target audience at all. Since that's the most important prerequisite for a successful marketing campaign, it makes sense that they are so unsuccessful at it.

MindArk's marketing team seems to not know their target audience at all. Since that's the most important prerequisite for a successful marketing campaign, it makes sense that they are so unsuccessful at it.

Not sure why it is difficult to grasp that mindark didnt deliberately run ads on foxnews. It is part of a larger ad network in which the user only got the ad because of cookie based advertising.. as in.. the user already knows about entropia or visited a similar site that was targeted.

As mentioned previously, cookie based advertising is a poor model.

Not sure why it is difficult to grasp that mindark didnt deliberately run ads on foxnews. It is part of a larger ad network in which the user only got the ad because of cookie based advertising.. as in.. the user already knows about entropia or visited a similar site that was targeted.

As mentioned previously, cookie based advertising is a poor model.

I do understand it (I've spent a fair amount on keyword advertising). I was referring to the ad content itself, not the placement.

I do understand it (I've spent a fair amount on keyword advertising). I was referring to the ad content itself, not the placement.

Fair point. I agree. Quite poor.

Regarding placement...

News websites, regardless of political leanings, generally can produce good results. In fact the best publicity MA ever got for EU was through news articles.

However for years I have said that the best demographic to target would be poker players. They are exactly the kind of player that MA should be trying to attract and they naturally tend to gravitate toward EU anyway.

MA should find ways to advertise in free to play poker communities as well as real money poker.

Too often MA's advertising seems to target people who already know about EU or otherwise target people who play one MMO or another. Instead of just trying to get a bigger piece of the existing pie, MA should focus on making a bigger pie by attracting people who otherwise wouldnt play a video game.

Ads are tailored for your online activity and presence. What you see likely isn't what the rest of the audience sees.

Back