Religion in EU, why not?

Status
That's certainly true, good observation! :)

It's a subject where everybody already has a strong opinion this way or another. Once people have settled with their opinions they usually tend to ignore all counter arguments off the bat, even if those are actually good - and only look for those bits and pieces that confirm their bias.
With people like that there's no point to even talk about things. Wasted effort right from the start.

Then there's this tiny tiny minority, the true intellectual aristocracy of free minds that can enjoy arguments contrary to their own if they are fresh and deep and original. In case there's some people like this around, I'd say this about religion.

In the modern western world, especially in Western Europe, it's highly fashionable to bash religion, especially Christianity. What once was a daring revolutionary idea, is now mainstream. Everybody's atheist those days, so in case you've missed it, you won't score any points for originality any more.

Religions, vast majority of them have caused lot of bad things in the world. Some more, others less. When you try to remember the last wars Jainism or Taoism have caused... you'd be in trouble.
But then you'll certainly hear the argument Why the hell do we need any religion anyway?

Now that's where things get interesting. :cool:

Anyone who's ever tried to speak about any controversial topic in science has certainly noticed how emotional and dogmatic people instantly get. Let's pick an example here, say, research about relationships between IQ and race (google "Steven Pinker IQ race" if you're not familiar withe the concept).
So, what you instantly get is not intellectual counter-arguments, from the vast majority of people you'll get a response that can only be described as religious and dogmatic.
Certain things are not true because I strongly believe they are not true, period.
That's exactly what the Roman Catholic Inquisition told to Galileo Galilei:
- Heliocentrism? You are a heretic!
- But but but, here's a scientific empirical data that confirms my theory!
- Who cares about data, our Holy Book says otherwise! Off with your head!

And off he goes...

Now, if you think that's all in the past, think again.
Simple ordinary people desperately need a world view that describes all things in the world in a simple orderly black and white way. "Simple" is the code word here. Everybody knows how people adore simple explanations.
So, here's the rhetorical question - Do we have any simplistic dogmatic world views today? There's plenty, all over the place, followed by hundreds of millions of people! We don't like to call them "religions" today, that word has a bad taste to it. So we've renamed em to "ideologies". This way we can be dogmatic and have a blind faith without feeling simple-minded and stupid.

I'm a Taoist myself (the Japanese variety of it), but I do like the real (not the simplistic version of) Christianity.
Why? Well, mainly because it offends people and it's not mainstream. :wtg:
Also, if I'll end up with some kind of ideology anyway, I'll prefer the real thing to a cheap surrogate anytime...

OK, I hope I've deeply offended the religious feelings of every last one of you. Lets have some riots and book-burnings now! :cool:

Wow! appreciate - some time taken to make actual considered words! Thanks :) Now'were'r tracking!

It is late, but not to late perhaps for starting a sub-subject: Church by church.

Christian, to begin.

I start with the catolic church (thats part of the puzzle making up christianity, a major piece. There are houndreds of other varieties - many which are more or less at war with each other, tho most simply disrespect each other. Unless the thread is closed I might return with further educational samples).

Here is a nice hymn to bring to Sunday school :)

That was nice. There are also critics of the Catolic church (have to have them also, for balance)

so here's a different hymn:

cheers!

... be interesting what will be in this thread when I wake up tomorrow ;)

wellness wished!

cheers, eras

Simple ordinary people desperately need a world view that describes all things in the world in a simple orderly black and white way.

Funny isn't it? Atheism, nihilism and the like are actually more "simple" than most religions, and they cling to them for the same reason people cling to religion, often even more fanatically, and with an equal lack of evidence.

Please lock this thread!!!

Funny isn't it? Atheism, nihilism and the like are actually more "simple" than most religions, and they cling to them for the same reason people cling to religion, often even more fanatically, and with an equal lack of evidence.

an equal lack of evidence - WISH you would expand on that one :)

halleluja, eras

reserved......

More fool me, allow them any opening & there the baiter goes off & running. Plus clips from Life of Brian – they just have to be a given. (Monty Python can have really funny things, but they are nowhere as funny as they liked to think they were )

Erasy dear, the thread may have started as a joke – the degradation started with your posts, you were trolling, hoping for a bite & I just had to oblige. I said I was not a very good Christian, a good one would have just ignored you. And then what would you have done – more baiting to get a result?

And yes, to get to an “opinion of yours” I did read the initial & a bit more – no digging I just read till I came to your posts – more than one weren't they mate.

Drop the patronising tone, your “respecting my need for any joy & comfort from my religion etc. You passive/aggressive twat.

I am not triggered, by most things I read in this thread, I flip right past sayings like the “religion = more wars” one, merely think Geez Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, that north Korean clown – how deeply religious that lot was.

You were doing a bit more than setting up some theological discussion - that clip of Tim Minchin, that is a deeply deeply offensive song by a clown hoping to restart his failing career by making an insulting and straight out lying song.
You want “considered words” leave shite like that out.

Tell you what Erasy sweetie, tell me about something YOU consider important, transgender rights maybe? And I will have some fun baiting you about them.

Now STFU and leave this thread to some lighthearted discussion about Lootius & the like.

i dont get why people get so mad when you tell them that believing in an imaginary friend is stupid. when someone believes in an imaginary friend and says that he helps him you send him into a mental hospital and call him insane.
but when you call your imaginary friend "god" or "jesus" then you are just religious and not insane. funny world. indeed.

i dont get why people get so mad when you tell them that believing in an imaginary friend is stupid. when someone believes in an imaginary friend and says that he helps him you send him into a mental hospital and call him insane.

Say it! ;)

As a sun worshiper I am deeply offended and you are all sued, see you in court.

Seriously now:
3.6 - Real-world Controversial Discussion
Discussion of real world politics, nationalism, religion, war, or other similarly controversial topics is NOT permitted or appropriate for this forum. PlanetCalypsoForum, as the game, is a global community with players from many different countries around the world. Discussion of such topics often disrupts the forum community. Therefore, refrain from starting or participating in any such discussions, as they will be deleted from the forum without notice.

Once upon a time on Calypso there was this group of simple people ...

pilgrim3.jpg

... who once challenged The Church of Lootius and it's beliefs.

And what does a noob know about such important things as where the loot comes from?
There was this hoard of high priests, low priests, nuns and the usual followers who literally did a forum carnage to obliviate these heretics and convert them to the TRUE RELIGION OF ENTROPIA. Yes, it was very ugly indeed. The Lootiusians even promised to show SSA the right path in PVP.

The only reward these simple people knew about came from hard work, fight and loving each other, and worshipping the snablesnot of course ...

gcs0044.jpg

All primitive civilisations have praised and worshipped nature, so did these early inhabitants of Calypso. And what better animal to symbolize this existed than the snablesnot?

But did this carnage of simple folks beliefs kill them off?
No they went under ground for decades, centuries, yes, even millenias.
And in secret they grew and grew and eventually formed ...

The Snablesnot Sweating Army (SSA)

headlogo.jpg

logo6_1.jpg

It was actually one of my dearest PE memories and the theological forum debate went on and on page up and page down. Sorry to say it derailed quite fast.

What is it with believers who so strongly have to tell others how wrong their beliefs are?

But making fun of religion is a very touchy topic. No matter how it's done. No suprise Umberto Eco claimed that there was a clerical conspiracy that made Aristoteles book about comedy disappear in medieval times. It was concidered to be one of the most dangerous books ever written. And a threat to the foundation of religion.

And to the OP's suggestion of levels. Nah, don't think it's such a brilliant idea.

Actually Pretty Loco post is witty & Funny & made in the spirit of this thread.
But

Mega, it all depends what the purpose of the Forums are for. Buying, Selling, noob questions , naughty scams naughty people have done etc etc. That & nothing else they work well.

The worst things that can happen being the “geez Mindark is stupid, they have ripped us off yet again. They have stuffed up the upgrades & done silly stuff like Compet & loot still sucks”
I think, well they are a business & not a Soup Kitchen catering to hopeless people – so they should make a profit – and as long as its not ridiculous, I don’t mind paying for my fun.

But mostly they are now like that old song to me “I look at the pictures & turn the pages” , a sterile wasteland & a waste of my time & effort.
Not even pirates & PKers any more – it was even a sort of fun to get huffed up with righteous indignation at their misdeeds, trying to sort through the Fake News & Alternative Facts.

& actually getting impressed at how pirates could prove Pythagaros wrong by devious & cunning mathematics that showed they could in fact catch other ships flying at the same speed without resorting to cheats.
I enjoyed reading such posts – if nothing else they were witty (mostly) sadly they have all been banned or cowed by the Forum Gods.

This thread to me has been hijacked but it has legs as it were – some baiters have snuck in, not looking for

“Wow! appreciate - some time taken to make actual considered words! Thanks :) Now'were'r tracking!”

not argumentation or debate, but an opportunity to show how actually grown up & liberated they are, knocking superstition dead, but doing this by insult ( I suspect they have been exposed to Neo Marxist ideology when they started university & really they could not argue their way out of a wet paper bag)

I have picked up some negative rep from my posts here – “naaaa dont be so thin skinned”. Well tell you what clowns, I will look at future posts you have made & subject them to the same rigour you have applied to me.

So actually I hope this thread does not get locked – I certainly will be following it, and will view the posts here like I viewed Pirate posts, not the honest witty ones, but like those made by sad little wannabe pirates.
And following up
Me Really Neva. maybe people get upset by you patronisingly lecturing them about stuff, especially when they may never have asked for your half baked opinions in the first place.
Ever considered that?

Religion & Politics, well what can you say.

Everyone is entitled to its own opinion etc. as long as they dont bother me with it.
If they do i'm more then entitled to give my own opinion.
Now ofcourse religion is not all pure evil, many people find comfort in it and have decent values in Life.
I dont need any kind of religion for that ;)

You neg repping me for stating my opinion is kinda sad and tells me something, something i already know for a long time :silly2:

It could have been fun, and this was all that was intended by OP. If it worked, I'm sure the mods wouldn't mind also if it's surfing on the borderline of allowed topics. But you just can't help yourselves and have to drag it to the slammer again. Good job.

Now STFU and leave this thread to some lighthearted discussion about Lootius & the like.

You deserve any neg rep you get - do you own this thread? I gave you a neg rep because you were trying to make this into a religious post and as I said in my neg rep to you - you are doing nothing but looking for a fight. As far as your revenge rep goes it shows that you don't give a shit about anybody but yourself. Maybe you should follow your own advice and STFU.

Last edited:
Well San, what can I say, other than apologise.

I saw your reference to George Carlin and thought here we go, another video of comedic knocking, like the other two.
Actually it was about Pat Condell - sure he is against religion but I find all his videos fascinating.

maxwellhawk, I applied the same standards to your post as you applied to mine, sorry about your thin skin, if you cant take it, don't dish it out

Last edited:
Is Lootius related to RNGesus? We may be on to something. :rolleyes: :)

Reactions: Mac
Hi all :)

This might be the middle of it, or the end... not yet banned...

Thanks all for your words (some more interesting, fun -or both- than others).

I might defend transgenders. Gays. Lesbians. I should not have to, but hey, a perfect world it is indeed not. Never thought much about that, having the luxury to live in a land where one is considered "off" if one is discriminating.

For me, anyones color, creed and sexual orientation is of limited interest. I try to hate everyone equally!

cheers, eras :cool:

Everyone can go to hell, getting out is somewhat harder. :vampire:

Ahh it's all just shit and giggles (*1) - can't we all just get a long? Who cares if it's a snable you worship, a chirpie or some high head on a hill (*2)? It's all in your heart and personally I don't care about your belief (*3) as long as you have fun and enjoy playing (*4) :) <3
(*1) except for Lootius
(*2) as long as it's the mighty L..
(*3) yes I do...
(*4) ehhh... no
(*5) ...some irony to be expected...
(*6) yes, I had alcohol!
(*7) luw u all :)

One good thing from this thread, I found out about Pat Condell's UTube Posts. Thank you San he is pure gold. I like a well thought out, logical & expressed opinion.

I keep telling myself, "Don't feed the fkn Trolls" that's what they are looking for. Just ignore them, you will never win". Of course I never listen - I can't help myself sometimes, like a lemming I must race to dive into the shite they spew - with similar results. (and Yeah yeah Fifth, like a dog to its own vomit - actually someone else's - which makes it worse)

If Pat Condell was the only video referred to here - I would have applauded this garbage thread

Reactions: San
Status
Back