Top class storydriven films/tv

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
I'm finding it difficult to find any suitable films or tv that I really like. Although I found two promising leads from this thread:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?293514-Your-Top-5-TV-series-box-sets

Both turned out to be not up to my high standards :) Caprica is essentially a mundane series although I only saw first episode, second episode I literally fell asleep. It tackles no issues or doesn't have any substance or depth like Battlestar Galactica remake which I loved due to it's strong storyline and tackling issues pertinent to our real world.

Anyway what I'm looking for are films or tv that are very strong in storyline. That really make you think, wonder stretch the imagination etc Really push the limits to excellence in film or tv. Could be any genre although sci-fi is my all time favourite genre. So I watch all genre provided tv/film is strong in storyline.

Examples of what I consider strong storydriven tv:
  • Babylon 5
    [*] Black mirror
    [*] Star trek Voyager
    [*] Game of thrones
    [*] Borgen
    [*] House of Cards
    [*] Battlestar Galactica Remake

Examples of what I consider strong story driven film:
  • Gone Girl
    [*] Prisoners
    [*] Spotlight
    [*] Nightcrawler
    [*] The drop
    [*] Source code
    [*] Lunchbox
    [*] Enemy
    [*] Tabloid truth (2014 Korean)
    [*] All is lost (2013)
    [*] Kill the messenger
    [*] No escape
    [*] The ghost writer (2010)
    [*] The lives of others (2006)

etc etc

Do you have any suggestions for me? Please list strong story driven tv or film from any language or time period with capital in brackets at end so I can see it's one I'll like.

Your welcome to list or discuss other types of films/tv but I'm solely interested in story driven.

Oh man you need a proper laugh even if you don;t like comedies (I dont but I like these) Six Feet Under, Boston Legal

Now go out and smile some more ;)

Oh man you need a proper laugh even if you don;t like comedies (I dont but I like these) Six Feet Under, Boston Legal

Now go out and smile some more ;)

subscribed

shouldnt the obvious stuff be: breaking bad, walking dead, fear the walking dead and better call saul? i also liked fringe and lost.
and on films the best stuff made is pretty much everything from christopher nolan (batman trilogy, memento, inception, interstellar and my fav: prestige)

Your welcome to list or discuss other types of films/tv but I'm solely interested in story driven.

You could try "The Expanse". Relatively new tv series (only done 2 seasons so far) however does seem to have an interesting story line. Granted it took a few episodes to get into it as they were building the characters.

You could try "The Expanse". Relatively new tv series (only done 2 seasons so far) however does seem to have an interesting story line. Granted it took a few episodes to get into it as they were building the characters.
Indeed. Based on novels by James S. A. Corey, not something bunch of writers try to conjure up as they go.
If you fall asleep with that one, you're frickin' hopeless! :cool:

( also, https://youtu.be/b6CeDizcyC4?t=2m )

Last edited:
I couldnt agree more with Guillermo del Toro @realGDT

So my suggestion for story driven movies is - Unbrakable

/Soko

An older mini-series but still one of my favorites "The Lost Room" not to be confused with "The Room" which is great in its own way.

Last edited:
Use your motha ship and do voyage rehashes

Back