Help: Figuring out the best weapon/armor for the job

sagivstern

Mature
I would love to have someone explain to me how to choose your weapon/armor for the current mob im about to hunt, so that in future hunts ill know what im actually doing.
I assume that all data is coming from entropedia.com.
Lets take weapons for example, what im doing atm is searching for lets say Laser-Carabine to hunt Shinkiba's with.
I go and find Shinkiba's health (Mature - 70HP) then I go and look at weapons chart sort by laser, carabine, Hit/DMG skills, dmg/pec and start scrolling down to find a suitable weapon.
Here is where my confusion starts, do I look for weapons that can 2 shot 70 hp or close to it and then use a finisher, do I look for weapons who do less dmg (10-20), what is the approach I should be taking?
Also if you can add about armor aswell would be great.

Last edited:
If you get a weapon capable of 2x shot kill a mob, you going to overkill by alot every time the 2nd shot does a crit.

Rather get something which can kill the mob in about 5-10 secs, with a finisher.

As for armor, that depends very much on your evade / health / fap as well.

For a low level mob like kerb, you probably need minimal armor, or armor with some small plates.

In general, check out the damage type produced by the mob, then can appropriate armor which protects against that damage type. Don't over armor yourself (getting hit for only 1 dmg each time is over armoring).

Does crits factor into decay?
Is it not a freebie bonus?

edit:
Im sure it decays when you crit, does it double the decay or still acts as a normal shot just doing more damage? if so whats the problem of getting a gun that fits perfectly for a mob...
Im trying to understand how to think according to the game.

Last edited:
Crits cost the same in terms of decay / ammo.

But weapon eco (in entropedia and probably elsewhere) is calculated including missed / evades / crits.

So if you overkill during crits, that makes you less eco.

Right, so lets say my hit/dmg is 17/20 which it actually is, and im looking to hunt shinkiba's, ive determined that Breer M2a is probably the best for the job.
It has fair dmg (19), not too high and not too low, dmg/pec seems good at 2.822.
Is that a correct assessment?
As for armor I am clueless as to how to calculate evade/health/fap for a specific mob.
Got any pointers for me?

Entropedia says shinkiba mature does average 16 damage, all impact.

Assuming your gun does 13 dmg average, per shot, and with 70 health for that mob, you can kill it in about 5 - 7 secs.

Assuming you got about 100 health, and again assuming you start shooting when the mob is far away, that means the mob will have hardly any chance to close on you and hit you. So you don't even need armor.

Just use your S10 (again assuming you have it) to heal whenever you get to half health or something. That will give you fap skills as well.

If you must have armor, cdf scout armor + 1a plates will be sufficient I think (protects 7 against impact). Or renegade armor, either alone or with 1a, protects slightly more.

Try a couple without armor, see if it works for you, if not, use armor.

By the way, you not amping your gun? That will improve eco / increase dmg.

Im currently trying to decide which gun to buy, amp will come later to make it more eco.

A no pro approach from my way. I do the opposite, I let the gun decide what mob to hunt, not selecting a mob and then a gun. Reason is that I always try to find the cheapest L gun in ah for buyout. I then check the weapon compare tool, chose the gun, an amp and the markup. I then multiply the effective damage x 5 to 10. Currently I am using an Isis LLC-30 which I got for 107%. With an a106 its 2.93 dpp and 62.55 effective damage.

Lets say 5 shots x 62.55 = 312.75 effective damage.

I then go to entropedia and sort on least maturity and see what mobs that I can do with 312 dmg.

Cool, I can go for Duhol, Hater, Lemmy's Guardian, Magurg Male, Male Zeladoth, Mountain Boar, Oratan Slasher, Sissy, Thorio Male, Zeladoth, Zombie Biker Nomad.

It is actually quite fun and as my dmg increase I can go for new and bigger mobs.
And if I stick to 5-10 shot mobs I am usually fine with the armor decay.

Well for me I use Chon + A101, go hunt kerberos providers 320 hp with 7.6 dps using adjusted restoration chip.

So in general for me using 7 dps, I know I should be hunting mobs at or below 500 health or it gets silly really.

A no pro approach from my way. I do the opposite, I let the gun decide what mob to hunt, not selecting a mob and then a gun. Reason is that I always try to find the cheapest L gun in ah for buyout. I then check the weapon compare tool, chose the gun, an amp and the markup. I then multiply the effective damage x 5 to 10. Currently I am using an Isis LLC-30 which I got for 107%. With an a106 its 2.93 dpp and 62.55 effective damage.

Lets say 5 shots x 62.55 = 312.75 effective damage.

I then go to entropedia and sort on least maturity and see what mobs that I can do with 312 dmg.

Cool, I can go for Duhol, Hater, Lemmy's Guardian, Magurg Male, Male Zeladoth, Mountain Boar, Oratan Slasher, Sissy, Thorio Male, Zeladoth, Zombie Biker Nomad.

It is actually quite fun and as my dmg increase I can go for new and bigger mobs.
And if I stick to 5-10 shot mobs I am usually fine with the armor decay.

Sounds good indeed, has this worked for you eco wise?

Well for me I use Chon + A101, go hunt kerberos providers 320 hp with 7.6 dps using adjusted restoration chip.

So in general for me using 7 dps, I know I should be hunting mobs at or below 500 health or it gets silly really.

I am confused..

Sounds good indeed, has this worked for you eco wise?

Can't really say as I havent been logging and compared to other ways of hunting.
I also do exceptions and go for bigger mobs, and then it all goes sour :).

But as so much conclusions comes down to how important evade is and lowering youre defense costs, I thought this was a good way to go. To avoid being hit or hit as little as possible.

If you must pick an armour / plate combination, my rule of thumb is either 5 avg dmg or 10 using the armour advisor tool on entropiawiki.com.

The hp can then be healed after the 1-2 hits sustained per mob using an eco tool and letting regen do the rest. To answer your confusion adjusted restoration chip is a heal over time tool and it's eco is comparable to mod fap, so I dont need armour any more.

Finish mentorship and you'll get adj pixie which is enough to finish shink,kerb,cornu,combibo,argo,rippersnapper,merp,atrax missions and after you finished those you should have enough skills to use adj pixie for bigger mobs.
When it comes to weapons...unless you want to go chon+a101 you could go a102 with llc 3 or xent tech 2 or 3 depending on budget and use tt gun as finisher,or tt gun and zikarus if you have it from silver/gold pack.As i said it depends on budget

When I want to hunt something I havent hunted before I usually just YouTube search "Entropia <Mob Name>" for what ever I wanna hunt and then see what gun the guy is using to kill them. Sort by date added and also use little common sense. For example if hes killing everything in 3 shots then hes proly got way too much weapon for the job. Also I do this in front of an Auctioner cause I wanna make sure the gun is available and obviously affordable. Then head over to http://www.entropiawiki.com/Chart.aspx?chart=Weapon and type in his weapon name to find out the DPS. Click the little + to the left of OK to add a new box. Then change them to show dmg/sec. So if his gun is 20 DPS I usually make the search fields >18 and <22 so I get a nice range of similar damage weapons. Obviously you wont know the exact Amp hes using or any information about Enhancers but you will get a base idea at least. Then sort your results by dmg/pec. You should also change the Type to show preference for BLP vs Laser. Head to the weapon compare tool at http://www.entropiawiki.com/WeaponCompareV2.aspx and add 4 or 5 weapons in there. Dont forget to attach any Amp you might have. Again sort by dmg/pec. At this point you can ignore dmg/sec because you already know they are going to be similar. Then start searching auctions starting from highest dmg/pec and working your way down till you find one you can afford.

Last edited:
When I want to hunt something I havent hunted before I usually just YouTube search "Entropia <Mob Name>" for what ever I wanna hunt and then see what gun the guy is using to kill them. Sort by date added and also use little common sense. For example if hes killing everything in 3 shots then hes proly got way too much weapon for the job. Also I do this in front of an Auctioner cause I wanna make sure the gun is available and obviously affordable. Then head over to http://www.entropiawiki.com/Chart.aspx?chart=Weapon and type in his weapon name to find out the DPS. Click the little + to the left of OK to add a new box. Then change them to show dmg/sec. So if his gun is 20 DPS I usually make the search fields >18 and <22 so I get a nice range of similar damage weapons. Obviously you wont know the exact Amp hes using or any information about Enhancers but you will get a base idea at least. Then sort your results by dmg/pec. You should also change the Type to show preference for BLP vs Laser. Head to the weapon compare tool at http://www.entropiawiki.com/WeaponCompareV2.aspx and add 4 or 5 weapons in there. Dont forget to attach any Amp you might have. Again sort by dmg/pec. At this point you can ignore dmg/sec because you already know they are going to be similar. Then start searching auctions starting from highest dmg/pec and working your way down till you find one you can afford.

Note, http://www.entropiawiki.com/Chart.aspx?chart=Weapon has two boxes into which to enter your professional standings (Hit) and (Dmg) for a given sort of weapon (for example Laser). Enter those standings, click Accept, and now you see what damage YOUR avatar gets with each weapon, not what damage a level 100 avatar gets. Sometimes that difference is huge.

Just a quick note about armor now that it's become a bit more useful overall: a few armor sets that are handy for a not-yet-graduated newbie include: Bodyguard (L), CDF Scout, Basic Colonial. Unlimited Bodyguard is not good, but Bodyguard (L) is a very efficient way to knock two or three points off each hit you receive. Basic Colonial is the best of those 3 but I've forgotten where I got it.

Cheers :beerchug:

I sort of do the same. I've got a wide variety of unL (SIB) weapons. I choose with what I want to hunt, that is at first a bit determined by if I want to go for weak, normal, big or challenging. And then I look at what mobs goes well with that.
The other way around is also possible. I'm logging all my hunts, so I can always look back and see what weapon I've used previously. I fail to note if my chosen weapon was to small or to big though, although I useally carry every weapon I have and change during the hunt if needed. Logging is also good to see if a mob is good or bad for you. I believe that a player will do better on some mobs then on others (could be because of the chosen gear ofcourse).

As for armour, again I'll look in my log if I can't remember. If it's a mob I haven't hunted before, I'll look on Entropedia to see how much dmg the mob does. In the log is also a sheet with all the mobs (Ark + Caly) and what dmg-types they do plus the armours and plates I have and for how much the protect. For me a max hit of 20-30 is acceptable.

Sorry for this stupid question, but...

Is Pixie armor still good choice for low level s/killing or is Adj Pixie a better alternative?

Sorry for this stupid question, but...

Is Pixie armor still good choice for low level s/killing or is Adj Pixie a better alternative?

adj pixie is great armor - regular pixie is tt fodder

as for the OP - Easy rule of thumb take the Lnumber of the mob and make it = the shots you need to take it down. Say L5 Kerb - 5 shots. and always use a finisher like hk110.

Back