System Requirements and Account Security Notification

Windows 10 ...

When it was new I read things about its privacy "features" (cough) I absolutely didn't like and didn't bother to investigate any further since. Thank you very much for these details. This confirms, if I'm ever forced to infect my computer with this pile of evil, I am out of here. Luckily there are alternatives, and they better keep it that way.

Personal game machine is win 7, never had a problem.
Work recently moved us to Win 10 EE, took me a couple days to get it setup the way I like, been pretty happy with it so far. I had the desktop team install win10 EE on an extra laptop I keep at the house, installed PE on it fine, ran fine, no problem.
I'm pretty happy with win10, but If I could run PE on Linux without a bunch of technical gymnastics I would be happy to shit can windows on my personal machine.

I've got windows 10 installed on a test machine, Cortana can be disabled as can onedrive.

The problem is everytime a new release comes out they reenable them :rolleyes:

WINDOWS 10 PRIVACY GUIDE - CREATORS UPDATE

And classic shell still works with the creators update installed.

Last edited:
The link provided for Entropia Pocket says 404 Not Found

I've been away from the game for some time. How is Entropia Pocket better than my Gold Card?

It isn´t, as your mobile can be hacked, so your account can be hacked, very difficult to get access to your GC, imho thats the best security.
I honestly wouldn´t ever use any mobile app for security services, its to risky.

if you remove anything from the start menu, you can re-add by right clicking on anything

Are you sure you can re-add items to the *left* pane of the start menu? I'm *not* talking abut the tiles part here (metro menu). It was possible to add to the left pane of the start menu during the Windows 10 beta versions, but just when it was going to be released, the ability to add programs to left pane of start menu was removed.

I'm not talking about the right part (metro menu with tiles). The idea behind Windows 10 was said to be "Now the meny from windows 7 we all know is back" - not that "we are keeping the metro menu you all love from Windows 8"...

this is the same as earlier versions just a shorter warning, when you get an update it will restart your machine after 48hr and only in the quiet time you have specified, default is like 12am - 6am. it won't restart if your using it and not before that time, most of us would be turning the computer off a night, therefore installing that update

*That's* exactly the problem some of us have with the automatic reboot. Some of us begins some work during evening, go to bed, and in the morning expect to have the same programs running. WHen it comes to the quiet hours, you never thought about one thing: There is a pretty large time span you can't make smaller. Why do you have to set it to 12am - 6am; why can't it (bultin) be allowed to restart the computer say exactly 12:30? Why can't you turn the automatic restarts off entirely (with maybe an applet in notification bar that pops up when computer needs to be rebooted).

How does Microsoft's philosophy work with laptop owners that practically never shut down the computer; that just shuts the lid and sets computer in hibernate? If you turn a laptop off, for instance after to leave a room after a presentation, you always risk "Installing update 1 of 21, don't turn off the computer...". Or if yo see a flash outside the window, hear heavy rain and you are waiting for the kaboom.

If Windows 10 can reboot [crash] within say 50 hours of up-time, I would say that Windows 3.11 probably is more stable... (at least if you firewall it from live internet).

Again: Windows 7 can be set to "Don't reboot with logged in users". That is, wait with reboot until local user has signed off. Availible versions of windows 10 ignore that setting.

and you can disable Cortana still, hit notepad the
n about me on the cortana pop up and sign out

Is it still possible to do local searches on your harddrive for documents if you turn cortana off?

(I have to admit, I don't have any experience with Cortana. The major reason is that it's not fully availible in Sweden/Swedish, I think.)

Another problem with Windows 10: It seems that the user profile can crash pretty easily. (When it happens, for each next logon you'll get a message that you are running on a "temporary profile" and every setting gets lost at logout. If you know how to do, you can create a new local user and remove the old profile to get running, but it's not that easy if you are a beginner level computer user and you login with a microsoft account. (After all, the fix would make you make a new account, and if your old account was a microsoft account, well how do you create it locally...)

Though Microsoft could catch the broken user profile and fix it to the level that a user could login normally from that point on, they haven't done so. When message about broken desktop comes up you won't get much help how to fix it.

Last edited:
Doesnt matter. entropia should not be supporting systems that the os vendor themselves no longer support... which is typically a 5 year window. The premise is still accurate.. it is because vulnerabilities wont get patched.

One reason to stay supporting a lower OS version is because how entropia works; to keep your items, you need to login. And it would be harsch if you would lose all your items if you're not on the latest OS version.

It creates less fuzz from players who say they lost their items due to not being able to login anymore.

Another thing, totally separate (can be good or bad), is that Windows XP is fairly easy to get running in a virtual machine. Maybe for running Entropia in an windows running XP on a machine that runs some Linux version. Though maybe on the other hand that's an advantage also for those running armies of alts.

Are you sure you can re-add items to the *left* pane of the start menu? I'm *not* talking abut the tiles part here (metro menu). It was possible to add to the left pane of the start menu during the Windows 10 beta versions, but just when it was going to be released, the ability to add programs to left pane of start menu was removed.

I'm not talking about the right part (metro menu with tiles). The idea behind Windows 10 was said to be "Now the meny from windows 7 we all know is back" - not that "we are keeping the metro menu you all love from Windows 8"...

The left screen is just a list of apps and programs, pretty much same as clicking start then programs, its one long list of folders and files running a-z. you can't add to it as everything should be there already, but your most used programs can be set at the top. removing from that list is uninstalling, non store apps will take you to uninstall screen.

*That's* exactly the problem some of us have with the automatic reboot. Some of us begins some work during evening, go to bed, and in the morning expect to have the same programs running. WHen it comes to the quiet hours, you never thought about one thing: There is a pretty large time span you can't make smaller. Why do you have to set it to 12am - 6am; why can't it (bultin) be allowed to restart the computer say exactly 12:30? Why can't you turn the automatic restarts off entirely (with maybe an applet in notification bar that pops up when computer needs to be rebooted).

How does Microsoft's philosophy work with laptop owners that practically never shut down the computer; that just shuts the lid and sets computer in hibernate? If you turn a laptop off, for instance after to leave a room after a presentation, you always risk "Installing update 1 of 21, don't turn off the computer...". Or if yo see a flash outside the window, hear heavy rain and you are waiting for the kaboom.

If Windows 10 can reboot [crash] within say 50 hours of up-time, I would say that Windows 3.11 probably is more stable... (at least if you firewall it from live internet).

Again: Windows 7 can be set to "Don't reboot with logged in users". That is, wait with reboot until local user has signed off. Availible versions of windows 10 ignore that setting.
i've just looked on a Win10 machine, its not creators as i'm at work (im on XP here myself...) you dont set quiet, you set active, had it in reverse. you can only set active hours upto 12hr long, dunno if last update changed anything but i've never had it restart on me but i only use it 5pm-1am weekdays.

Win 10 doesn't seem to crash, our work ones have had decent uptime, 7days on one and that was due to an update

Is it still possible to do local searches on your harddrive for documents if you turn cortana off?

(I have to admit, I don't have any experience with Cortana. The major reason is that it's not fully availible in Sweden/Swedish, I think.)
As long as indexing is on (same as win7) it works the same way but you lose the ability to set reminders and send/receive text messages and notifications from your mobile

Another problem with Windows 10: It seems that the user profile can crash pretty easily. (When it happens, for each next logon you'll get a message that you are running on a "temporary profile" and every setting gets lost at logout. If you know how to do, you can create a new local user and remove the old profile to get running, but it's not that easy if you are a beginner level computer user and you login with a microsoft account. (After all, the fix would make you make a new account, and if your old account was a microsoft account, well how do you create it locally...)

Though Microsoft could catch the broken user profile and fix it to the level that a user could login normally from that point on, they haven't done so. When message about broken desktop comes up you won't get much help how to fix it.
i've never had this, but my boss had this on Win10, 7 and Vista. i've no idea how they do it but yeah its a pain in the ass to fix. thats more of a Windows bug than unique to 10. you can recover it to a microsoft account after you have fixed the user account

regarding the windows 10 broken user problem (temporary profile after login):

i suggest to always create a backup admin user in advance. you'll regret that you didn't, if you ever run into this quite common problem - even program uninstalls can fsck everything up! :wise:

One reason to stay supporting a lower OS version is because how entropia works; to keep your items, you need to login. And it would be harsch if you would lose all your items if you're not on the latest OS version.

It creates less fuzz from players who say they lost their items due to not being able to login anymore.

Another thing, totally separate (can be good or bad), is that Windows XP is fairly easy to get running in a virtual machine. Maybe for running Entropia in an windows running XP on a machine that runs some Linux version. Though maybe on the other hand that's an advantage also for those running armies of alts.

Sorry. This doesnt hold water. If the vendor stops supporting the software, it is unreasonable for any other vendor to do so also. Any vulnerabilities in said software can also result in same for software on said platform.

There was a time when windows 10 was available for free upgrades. You could at least upgrade to 7 for much less, if nothing now, than what these individuals spend in the game. It simply boils down to people not wanting to change.

...how to fix it.

it seems to be a bug/problem of NTFS filesystem rights. IF you have a backup admin, you can still access the broken user's files, and as the most quick fix, copy the appdata folder and your old docs/desktop/stuffs to the new user.

i had this issue quite often when i setup a business machine for teleworking, especially after cisco tools uninstalls/upgrades. :scratch2:

There was a time when windows 10 was available for free upgrades. You could at least upgrade to 7 for much less, if nothing now, than what these individuals spend in the game. It simply boils down to people not wanting to change.

No, it boils down to:

• Loss of trust following the dog turd that Windows 8.0 was.
  • Look of Windows 10 (it looks dreadful compared to Win7)
  • Not wanting to send their private data to M$ (Why do I need a M$ account all of a sudden after 23 years of using their previous OS (Win 3.1 onwards))
  • Adware
  • Software incompatibilties
  • Lack of control over installing updates
  • Lack of transparency of what those updates contain
  • Win 10 may not work with your printer or other 5 year old hardware
  • What the future holds regarding subscription - M$ will want paying for all those free installs at some point. No such thing as a 'free lunch' from that company.

The fact that 50% of Net traffic is still using Windows 7 shows that Windows 10 is so bad they couldn't even give it away.

This thread is a great example of the type of people who play entropia and why they play entropia.

:wtg::lolup::laugh::laugh::eyecrazy::eyecrazy::laugh::laugh::lolup::wtg:

No, it boils down to:

• Loss of trust following the dog turd that Windows 8.0 was.
  • Look of Windows 10 (it looks dreadful compared to Win7)
  • Not wanting to send their private data to M$ (Why do I need a M$ account all of a sudden after 23 years of using their previous OS (Win 3.1 onwards))
  • Adware
  • Software incompatibilties
  • Lack of control over installing updates
  • Lack of transparency of what those updates contain
  • Win 10 may not work with your printer or other 5 year old hardware
  • What the future holds regarding subscription - M$ will want paying for all those free installs at some point. No such thing as a 'free lunch' from that company.

The fact that 50% of Net traffic is still using Windows 7 shows that Windows 10 is so bad they couldn't even give it away.
  • it wasn't that bad, apart from the lack of start menu it could be used just like 7
  • thats an opinion, i prefer the flat clean look of 10
  • you don't need an account, make a local account and its just like before
  • there isn't, you get suggestions for store items, this can be turned off. but if you have a local account, you won't get store, so no suggestions
  • is there? not seen any but you have compatible modes in the unlikely chance you get one
  • if you want to keep your machine out of date without the latest security fixes, then yeah you might have an issue as updates can only be paused. turn your machine off a night = no issue (laptops as aia pointed out would have an issue)
  • you get release notes, this is no different to any update for virtually any piece of software.
  • most printers and hardware have legacy drivers, if it works with 7 its likely to work with 10
  • that we don't know, imo i think the days of buying updates to OS's will be over as tablets take the market and the licence will be packaged with the purchase with a lifetime of updates. its already stated that the Win10 licence won't be transferrable over machines unlike 7-8. but its no different from before, you buy 7 and got so many years of free updates before having to pay to upgrade.
    The only thing i could maybe see in the future, but i doubt it, will be free windows with a yearly sub like Office, but could be suicide if Google decide to make Chrome OS to fight Windows.

and to your last point
on april 3rd, More than half of Steam gamers now use Windows 10
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/steam-gamer-windows-10/

Last edited:
and to your last point

And the other half dont! :cool:

If you are still playing Entropia in a years time, see if you still like Windows 10 as much as you currently do. Windows 7 is supported until 2020 which is another 3 years. After that, I think I'll have to switch to something else (Win 8.1 possibly) or have lots of anti-spyware software running.

The free upgrade was Windows 7 to Windows 10 (only).

To upgrade from XP, and I Think Vista to Windows 10, you need to buy a brand new windows 10 license. (Microsoft was smart by only allow free upgrades from Windows 7 which few users would pay to leave, and not the windows versions where support had expired or was about to expire ie windows versions that users *wants* to migrate from).

The first months of Windows 8, there was a cheap upgrade fron any recent windows version to Windows 8. It can be noted though that there is no free upgrade anymore Windows 8 -> Windows 10.

And you're right: The reason why windows 8 was a flop wasn't the technical stuff, but rather that "people want nothing to change", ie they want a computer that works the way they've learned to love, and not a computer that works the way Microsoft's marketing department wants it to work.

Another pretty clear reason why users stayed with XP, unless they had to, was memory consumptions (and CPU requirements). Related to this, if you bought a computer from let's say HP, you got a windows installation with all drivers. And if you want to install it with a different windows version you might get problem with some peripherals not having driver. Like, a so called "windows printer", or for windows 10 (strangely) that a recent update from Microsoft suddently made USB floppydrivers to stop working. (I'm just thinking how Microsoft thought there.) When it comes to old peripherals it should be pretty easy to make some sort of virtual machine that could run old version of drivers.

Imagine this: let's say I run Windows XP, I have a licensed (and computer tied) Microsoft Office 2003. I have a "windows Printing system" (GDI) windows printer. Everything works. I also got a plugin card with TV functionality that allows me to record to harddrive.

Now, people say that "Windows XP" is old and bad. Let's say I'd get a CD/DVD with Windows 8. I put it in CD drive and press ok install. Now, the next day: Would I be happier or not?

Last edited:
and to your last point

Never seen this clip? ;)

Ah, right, there is a solution:
  • if you want to keep your machine out of date without the latest security fixes, then yeah you might have an issue as updates can only be paused. turn your machine off a night = no issue

Just turn it off, and it won't reboot while it's turned off.

I Think that some people at Microsoft doesn't see the issue here:
Ok, installing updates make the computer lag for a while. But at least it doesn't throw off users.

The problem is the rebooting.

There wasn't long ago there was an "important" patch that required a reboot.
What it did? It changed something with the time zones at the city of Novosibirsk. So, well, in a way I understand Microsoft doesn't want to really shout out what the patches that require a reboot do. I mean, as I'm not even living in Russia (also as set in regional options from where time zone is picked), it's obvious I need the new Novosibirsk timezone *now*. It's very important and not something that can wait until the next patch tuesday or something. Telling me "This patch sets the Clock right if you live in the Novosibirsk region" might make users want to install this patch later, and perferably in the monthly batch of other patches like the dotnet ones, would make me Think "ok I don't need this patch *now* I can wait until some rollup update" and that wouldn't be good for the patchmakers if people want to install them later. ( https://support.microsoft.com/sv-se/help/3182203/september-2016-time-zone-change-for-novosibirsk )

Again, my setting is that I automatically fetch and install updates after a Schedule.
The thing I decide when it happens is the rebooting. I can make a setting so I can run the script to update my computer and then reboot it immediately afterwards (so it's ready to go when I come back for lunch). Or I can install all updates, those that can be installed live gets installed within minutes and the ones that require a reboot will have to wait until I don't have anything serious running, *then* I can reboot, or get those patches installed when I shutdown the computer normally.

Last edited:
Never seen this clip? ;)

Ah, right, there is a solution:

Just turn it off, and it won't reboot while it's turned off.

I Think that some people at Microsoft doesn't see the issue here:
Ok, installing updates make the computer lag for a while. But at least it doesn't throw off users.

The problem is the rebooting.

There wasn't long ago there was an "important" patch that required a reboot.
What it did? It changed something with the time zones at the city of Novosibirsk. So, well, in a way I understand Microsoft doesn't want to really shout out what the patches that require a reboot do. I mean, as I'm not even living in Russia (also as set in regional options from where time zone is picked), it's obvious I need the new Novosibirsk timezone *now*. It's very important and not something that can wait until the next patch tuesday or something. Telling me "This patch sets the Clock right if you live in the Novosibirsk region" might make users want to install this patch later, and perferably in the monthly batch of other patches like the dotnet ones, would make me Think "ok I don't need this patch *now* I can wait until some rollup update" and that wouldn't be good for the patchmakers if people want to install them later. ( https://support.microsoft.com/sv-se/help/3182203/september-2016-time-zone-change-for-novosibirsk )

Again, my setting is that I automatically fetch and install updates after a Schedule.
The thing I decide when it happens is the rebooting. I can make a setting so I can run the script to update my computer and then reboot it immediately afterwards (so it's ready to go when I come back for lunch). Or I can install all updates, those that can be installed live gets installed within minutes and the ones that require a reboot will have to wait until I don't have anything serious running, *then* I can reboot, or get those patches installed when I shutdown the computer normally.

i agree its an issue if you leave your pc on alot, looking in the settings for the Creators update, you can choose a schedule and only update at certain times, you can make it send a notification when its time to update or you can defer minor updates by upto 8 days but leave security at like 0-1 or defer all updates for upto 35 days.

i agree its an issue if you leave your pc on alot, looking in the settings for the Creators update, you can choose a schedule and only update at certain times, you can make it send a notification when its time to update or you can defer minor updates by upto 8 days but leave security at like 0-1 or defer all updates for upto 35 days.

Is it possible to install updates immediately and defer the reboot (for up to 35 Days)?

This is how the Schedule I use right now look like .)

C:\Windows\system32>at
Status ID Dag/dagar Tid Kommandorad
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Varje Mån Tis Ons... 04:30 AM c:\Windows\wu.vbs

wu.vbs (it can't be much clearer than this), it's a small adjustable program I got from someone:

(There is an extra part of code in it, "sigupdate", it's a call to an external AV program to update virus definitions at the same time)

Code:
option explicit

Const AllUpdates=True               ' True or false
Const LicenseAgreementAccept = "N"  ' Y or N

Function IsAdmin
dim key
dim ObjShell
dim retval
on error resume next

key = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").RegRead("HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-19\")
  If err.number <> 0 Then
    retval = 0
  else
    retval = -1
  end if
  IsAdmin = retval
end function

Sub Elevate
dim ObjShell
  If WScript.Arguments.length = 0 Then
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
    'Pass a bogus argument with leading blank space, say [ uac]
    objShell.ShellExecute "cscript.exe", Chr(34) & WScript.ScriptFullName & Chr(34) & " uac", "", "runas", 1
  else
    if not IsAdmin then
      wscript.echo "Uh?"
    end if  
  End If
end sub

sub DoGetUpdates
dim I, StrInput
dim UpdateSession, UpdateSearcher, SearchResult, Update, UpdatesToDownload, Downloader, UpdatesToInstall, Installer, InstallationResult
dim AddThisUpdate
dim SearchString

if AllUpdates then
  SearchString = "IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software' and IsHidden=0"
else
  SearchString = "IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software' and IsHidden=0 and AutoSelectOnWebSites=1"
end if

Set updateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")
updateSession.ClientApplicationID = "MSDN Sample Script"

Set updateSearcher = updateSession.CreateUpdateSearcher()

WScript.Echo "Searching for updates..." & SearchString

Set searchResult = updateSearcher.Search(SearchString)

WScript.Echo "Applicable items on the machine=" & cStr(searchResult.Updates.Count) & ":"
For I = 0 To searchResult.Updates.Count-1
    Set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(I) : WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> " & update.Title
Next

Set updatesToDownload = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.UpdateColl")

For I = 0 to searchResult.Updates.Count-1
    Set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(I)
    addThisUpdate = false
    If update.InstallationBehavior.CanRequestUserInput = true Then
        WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> skipping: " & update.Title & " because it requires user input"
    Else
        If update.EulaAccepted = false Then
            WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> note: " & update.Title & " has a license agreement that must be accepted:"
            WScript.Echo update.EulaText
            If LicenseAgreementAccept = "Y" or LicenseAgreementAccept = "y" Then
                update.AcceptEula()
                addThisUpdate = true
            Else
                WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> skipping: " & update.Title & " because the license agreement was declined"
            End If
        Else
            addThisUpdate = true
        End If
    End If
    If addThisUpdate = true Then
        WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> adding: " & update.Title 
        updatesToDownload.Add(update)
    End If
Next

If updatesToDownload.Count = 0 Then
    WScript.Echo "All applicable updates were skipped."
else    
  WScript.Echo "Downloading updates..."

Set downloader = updateSession.CreateUpdateDownloader() 
  downloader.Updates = updatesToDownload
  downloader.Download()

Set updatesToInstall = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.UpdateColl")

WScript.Echo vbCRLF & "Successfully downloaded updates=" & cStr(updatesToInstall.Count) & ":"

For I = 0 To searchResult.Updates.Count-1
    set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(I)
    If update.IsDownloaded = true Then
        WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> " & update.Title 
        updatesToInstall.Add(update) 
        If update.InstallationBehavior.RebootBehavior > 0 Then
           WScript.Echo "  ^-- This one may reqire a reboot" 
        else
        End If
    End If
  Next

WScript.Echo "Installing updates..."
    Set installer = updateSession.CreateUpdateInstaller()
    installer.Updates = updatesToInstall
    Set installationResult = installer.Install()

'Output results of install
    WScript.Echo "Installation Result: " & installationResult.ResultCode 
    WScript.Echo "Reboot Required: " &  installationResult.RebootRequired & vbCRLF 
    WScript.Echo "Listing of updates installed and individual installation results:" 
    For I = 0 to updatesToInstall.Count - 1
        WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> " & updatesToInstall.Item(i).Title & ": " & installationResult.GetUpdateResult(i).ResultCode   
    Next
end if

end sub

sub SigUpdate
dim objshell
set objShell = wscript.CreateObject("wscript.shell")
  WScript.Echo "Updating signatures"
  objShell.Run "cmd.exe /c c:\windows\UpdSigs.cmd",2,1
end sub

sub CompileDotnet
dim objshell

WScript.Echo "Compiling dotnet"
  objShell.Run "cmd.exe /c for /D  %i in (%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\* %windir%\microsoft.net\framework64\*) do call %i\ngen executequeueditems",2,1
end sub

Sub DoRebootIfNeeded
dim objshell
dim ObjSysInfo

Set objSysInfo = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.SystemInfo")
  if objSysInfo.RebootRequired then
    objShell.Run "shutdown.exe /R /T 360000 /C ""Datorn kommer startas om om 360000 sekunder - spara ditt arbete!"" "
  end if
end sub

If IsAdmin then
  DoGetUpdates
  SigUpdate
  CompileDotNet
  DoRebootIfNeeded
else
  elevate
end if

Last edited:
Is it possible to install updates immediately and defer the reboot (for up to 35 Days)?

This is how the Schedule I use right now look like .)

I think I'll stick with Windows 7 rather than try and get Windows 10 to work how its customer's want it to work (something Microsoft seems to have forgotten several years ago)

Bill Gates would be turning in his grave (if he was dead) - probably glad to be shot of it.

I think I'll stick with Windows 7 rather than try and get Windows 10 to work how its customer's want it to work (something Microsoft seems to have forgotten several years ago)

Bill Gates would be turning in his grave (if he was dead) - probably glad to be shot of it.

I Think Windows 10 EE+Classic Shell is pretty much what we want. It's too good though for us "consumers".

I quite like Windows 10, and I swore to myself I'd never leave Win7 ultimate.

Now tbh, I would never return to 7.

Guess at the end of the day, depends on what computer specs you have.

As I said Before; if you got a computer from a big brand, it's usually easiest to stay with the windows version that came with it.

If I got a new computer (with windows 10), I'd most likely stay with it. Maybe spend some week googling how to get rid of the worst annoyances.

My old ("spare") computer has Windows XP. I wouldn't upgrade it. (After all, when I installed it, I had to insert the drivers for the harddrive from a physical floppy disk...)

What practically is limiting entropia on old computers I guess isn't directly the OS (XP vs newer), but rather the amount of memory in it. Today it feels like not even 4 GB of memory isn't enough for a smooth "experience"; consider you're in an event with maybe 100 others, or you fly from one planet to Another planet and go to a populated Place on both planets.

Last edited:
I quite like Windows 10, and I swore to myself I'd never leave Win7 ultimate.

Now tbh, I would never return to 7.

My PC I built myself just over a year ago, it could easily run Windows 10.

See previous reply for why I'd think hitting myself over the head with a lump hammer would be much more preferable.

Might even make me stupid enough to think its a good idea.

Not being able to control what, when and how much gets sent over the network is a dealbreaker. And the policy of "nudging" to allow them to do all kinds of things behind your back by making it plain uncomfortable, forcing you to study all this only to keep the upper hand only because they want the largest possible number of users to send in a message about everything they do. I better stop right there...

In light of the recent malware and ransomware attacks, including WannaCry, MindArk has performed a comprehensive review of its security policies and procedures.
Information security should always be proactive. Once an attack has happened it can't be undone! :wise: Nonetheless, the due diligence is appreciated.

Information security should always be proactive. Once an attack has happened it can't be undone! :wise: Nonetheless, the due diligence is appreciated.

Now if they could just get their release management under control :rolleyes:

The malware writers have found a new way in - media players that download subtitles. :rolleyes:

I think it also depends on the type of user, I've a .net dev and by all accounts a network manager as well and I don't need to arrive one morning to find all the windows 10 machines down because of a dodgy update or people waiting 3-4 hours for their machine to be ready to use while it re-installs itself only to find it's removed software because MS decided it wasn't compatible.

I know most would test patches before releasing them into their network but 10 doesn't always give us the option as I've seen them bypass our local wsus server and go straight to MS.

Last edited:
I second the question above. What does "discontinue support for Windows XP" actually mean? To make it stop running on a specific OS, the program needs to detect it and then deliberately refuse to start even if it actually could.

OS detection is easy.

Go to a command prompt and type SET for an example.

Back