options for upgrading from windows xp

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
I'm wondering what the best and cheapest option is for upgrading from windows xp to most recent windows 10.

I found a website where you can buy a key for windows 10 for decent price:
https://www.scdkey.com/software.html

However not sure about the mechanics of this e.g. if I get Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM CD-KEY GLOBAL from that website i'll get the key for it but from where do you download windows 10 home oem?
(I'm assuming you need to download from correct place as that particular key would not work for windows retail?)

Anyone know of better websites than this one? or other advice?

Easiest option is just buy a new computer with it already installed. If u are still on xp odds are likely u need new hardware anyways.

May not be cheapest option but may be best...

Maybe some tech savvy folks can trade u uber pc and some gear for that mothership. :)

Last edited:
Hello,
if you run win xp..your pc might sound like it is some yrs old...even IF it could run (the homecalling,browser history sending,pc programms installed etc) Win10 you wont have really fun with it...

If you have to /want to upgrade..then as the others said..a new pc maybe also with a SSD harddisk for the os and a Sata had for the data might be the best option...

Eddie

as stated above, most mid spec Windows 7 PCs struggle with an update to Win10 so i doubt an XP one would cope, but you can download a program from windows page to test your pc first.

if you do have a good pc and you just avoided 7+ like many did, i wouldn't buy from a key reseller. its only like £80 for OEM version and £100 for the retail, otherwise buy a new pc and get it for free

Buy a new machine unless the hardware is recent.

Since vista there are no oem only discs, you just have to use one that's compatible and the base version is the one from MS. Oem manufacturer discs generally rely on a key being embedded in the bios of the computer but I've used HP discs to install other manufacturers kit you just have to change the license key in windows when you activate.

XP and Server 2003 were the last to need an oem disc.

Beware Windows 10 still comes in two varieties 32bit and 64bit - for the love of god do not buy 32bit why MS even bothered to release a 32bit version I don't know. The supplier I use sells Windows 10 home oem 64bit for £100 including tax.

I've used key resellers in the past but that was for buying volume license stuff which at the time we had to inform MS of the change of ownership of the keys.

Last edited:
Beware Windows 10 still comes in two varieties 32bit and 64bit - for the love of god do not buy 32bit why MS even bothered to release a 32bit version I don't know..

Tablets, the smaller 7-8in versions usually come with a puny 1-2gb of ram

My system should be ok with windows 10. When I bought it it was very good specs at the time and bought "future" proof :)

it's actually got two operating systems both obsolete now. (one on each drive)

* two hard drives both substantial amounts of storage
* 8 gb ram
* intel quad core cpu Q9450@2.67 ghz

So I doubt I need to be concerned about specs.

I don't really want to buy a pc. When this does need to be retired I'll probably opt for a good spec tablet with ports to attach monitor, keyboard, mouse to it (maybe a docking station with those attached). Tablet is more useful can take it around with me and dock it as a pc if and when needed. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea each to their own :) I like the portability and saving in desk space.

There are ways to upgrade it for free - legit.

It is a question of moral.

I have PMd you info so you can read more about it.

Its quite old hardware by now, Sure it was top notch at the time :). With your vision of buying a tablet you do not appear to be playing much games besides EU... My advice would be for you to find a used PC with windows 7 on it... You can often get a decent gamer PC used for a great price. Something from the Intel sandy bridge time or newer :)

My system should be ok with windows 10. When I bought it it was very good specs at the time and bought "future" proof :)

it's actually got two operating systems both obsolete now. (one on each drive)

* two hard drives both substantial amounts of storage
* 8 gb ram
* intel quad core cpu Q9450@2.67 ghz

So I doubt I need to be concerned about specs.

I don't really want to buy a pc. When this does need to be retired I'll probably opt for a good spec tablet with ports to attach monitor, keyboard, mouse to it (maybe a docking station with those attached). Tablet is more useful can take it around with me and dock it as a pc if and when needed. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea each to their own :) I like the portability and saving in desk space.

Its quite old hardware by now, Sure it was top notch at the time :). With your vision of buying a tablet you do not appear to be playing much games besides EU... My advice would be for you to find a used PC with windows 7 on it... You can often get a decent gamer PC used for a great price. Something from the Intel sandy bridge time or newer :)

Thats a good idea.

I have seen gaming PCs for a couple of 100 bucks on craigslist, etc.

You may want to consider that.

do automated global/hof-screenshots work on win10 already? that's the main reason why i still didn't upgrade my win7 x64...

do automated global/hof-screenshots work on win10 already? that's the main reason why i still didn't upgrade my win7 x64...

Yeah, I use it all the time.

The trick to make it work in fullscreen: Use full windowed mode. Looks just like normal, but will capture the globals instead of just a black abyss. :)

There are ways to upgrade it for free - legit.

It is a question of moral.

I have PMd you info so you can read more about it.

If it's legit why is there a moral question and why won't you post it?

I just built 3 machines and got keys from amazon (from seller called cairnquay) he emailed me the key and instructions on where to download and how to install etc. Had no problem with them and now have 3 machines running windows :)

If you're planning on upgrading in future you might have trouble though, mate of mine swapped his cpu and the windows version now says it needs activating. It's still running fine, just a few minor functions have been disabled.

btw: You don't need to buy windows if it's being installed on a tablet (I think there's a size restriction, under 10" maybe but not sure)

download windows from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
Stick it on a USB drive and boot pc and it will autoload (assuming bios autoloads from a stick, otherwise you'll have to enter bios and change some things)

with this hardware i realy say , DONT UPGRADE

Just use ligth linux : http://lubuntu.net/ like this

Back