Rookie chat filter.

Society
Calypso Rescue Team
Honey Honeypotts Potts
Rookie chat is here to enhance new player experience upon birth in EU. The first communication they have and the responses to their questions form their first impressions of EU.
How many times do I see a newbie say "Sorry, dumb question.... bla bla bla?" What causes someone to apologise for asking a Q in rookie? Maybe it's because they don't see it as the help channel it's intended to be.
Constantly volatile conversation also frequently drown out genuine help requests from new players who never get a response at all.
Filtering words like war, drugs, Trump, Jew, weed, Christian, bible, Muslim and other fashionably divisive contentious topical words would be the best thing for all new players so they can receive adequate responses quickly.
All planet chats, which new players discover later, remain as "open microphone" with no filters for those who wish to debate their own highly subjective opinions of their own, or others', lives back on earth.
So it's win win for everyone, rookie is the only filtered chat and everyone else has about 7 planet chats all unfiltered open microphone for their ravings.
Maybe I'm delusional lol

#Rookie isn't too bad.

#Spacechat (or whatever it's called when you are flying through that cesspit) .... now that's bad.

i agree honey for a bit..but if you read the whole day seriously the questions,(i know you read many though)..c´mon..some questions are like beeing asked from 6yrs-old ???

ppl dont experience,dont do tutorials, asking about "how to get a mothership" by not even finished downloading the game ...or "how to fuel the car" AFTER doing the tutorial and haveing/fueled the valk already ....

even if in tutorial explained how to fuel the car , or use the weapon.. ppl just type at ok,ok,ok,ok, and dont CARE to read something, and then they ask ALL questions before even trying out themselves...

the vets in rookie are really trying to help out with all questions ( and sometimes i think rookie is here for those lazy ppl so that they dont have to read,look around,experience themselves before they rage quit or something or say something bad about eu and the game developers/support centers have less work to do with answering "special" questions...like a firewall)...but sometimes or when the same question comes in 1 minute time distance..it can pull out somebodies nerves..

but luckily the next vet takes over then again :)

Just use ignore feature for the idiot u don't wanna read. M.a. policy on chat use is way more lenient than the rulez patrol here on the forums

Filtering words like war, drugs, Trump, Jew, weed, Christian, bible, Muslim and other fashionably divisive contentious topical words would be the best thing for all new players so they can receive adequate responses quickly.

That could be problematic if you're on Cyrene hunting Dire ****s,
or you are participating in a robot ***.

Yes, I think censoring words is a bad idea, and people will just figure out ways to bypass the filter. The spam delay filter usually prevents large walls of text from occurring anyway. You'll probably see more chats about the spam filter than the spam it was trying to prevent.

Honey those new players are just being polite - its new for them & they just don't want to go in "Gimme the details of this & that, now hop to it" sort of stuff.

What better way to overcome excessive niceness & natural reticence than being exposed to the goings on in rookie chat ie" Trump, Jew, weed, Christian, bible, Muslim and other fashionably divisive contentious topical words"

As Mega says, Rookie chat is not that bad, its the Space Chat that's problematical.

If u dont like chat, remove it,

If u dont like someone, mute him,

Last edited:
those new players are just being polite - its new for them & they just don't want to go in "Gimme the details of this & that"

If u dont like chat, remove it,
If u dont like someone, mute him

I mute ppl all the time, but I allso clear my mutelist every week.
Most ppl get the hang of things in that time and I rarely add ppl several times

I think rookie channel should be for helping rookies and there should other channel for those who use rookie for chatting.

Also most common answer for every question is. Deposit or play something else or something like that. Most of time it seems people doesnt want there is new players and they want they quit.

Atleast if i would be rookie and ask something. If I get answer its better just quit because its not worth it.... well i guess most of them will do it.

Even if you block all those words, 2/3 of the chat will remain off-topic with tons of more innocuous discussions. I can't see how it can be prevented without heavy moderation. And honestly, even though I myself never talk off-topic, I will choose the hot mess that is rookie over any form of moderation.

I think rookie channel should be for helping rookies and there should other channel for those who use rookie for chatting.

Also most common answer for every question is. Deposit or play something else or something like that. Most of time it seems people doesnt want there is new players and they want they quit.

Atleast if i would be rookie and ask something. If I get answer its better just quit because its not worth it.... well i guess most of them will do it.

i asked that exact thing in the past

2014-11-18 00:19 You wrote:

Hi, would it be possible to maybe split the Rookie chat into one called 'General Chat' and one to 'Help'?

I ask this as currently the rookie channel is totally out of control, it is either spam, abuse, arguements or non-EU relevant chat... plus most questions from Rookies are either ignored, lost in the inane chat or abused.

I write hoping something can be done to curb the issues in Rookie as i can imagine its quite off putting to the players it should be there to help

---

2014-11-18 11:08 Entropia Universe Support:

Hi Jetman,

Of course this is a possibility and you must understand that we've thought of this as well but for reasons and choices it was done in the way it is currently.

We are aware of the issues and we are looking for what we want to change and why.

Kind regards,
Ulf | Entropia Universe Support

in the end i have just stuck the annoying ones on ignore and after a while you forget they exist, until someone says, hi Caly...

I have rookie chat disabled. I only open it up to advertise mentoring when and if I have a free spot.

In general, it's bad place for information, since you mostly get trolled/flamed. For whatever reason, seems most of the angry/boored teenagers tend to sit there. Reminds me of generic mmo general chat, not something RCE chat usualy should be, considering EU audience is and should be more mature.

Rookie chat is here to enhance new player experience upon birth in EU. The first communication they have and the responses to their questions form their first impressions of EU.
How many times do I see a newbie say "Sorry, dumb question.... bla bla bla?" What causes someone to apologise for asking a Q in rookie? Maybe it's because they don't see it as the help channel it's intended to be.
Constantly volatile conversation also frequently drown out genuine help requests from new players who never get a response at all.
All planet chats, which new players discover later, remain as "open microphone" with no filters for those who wish to debate their own highly subjective opinions of their own, or others', lives back on earth.
So it's win win for everyone, rookie is the only filtered chat and everyone else has about 7 planet chats all unfiltered open microphone for their ravings.
Maybe I'm delusional lol

Bare in mind that I was looking at Rookie chat as a newbie might (standing outside looking in) who use it for the first time. First time impressions upon birth in EU using rookie chat adds to their first experiences whereupon early decisions are made... stay longer/leave sooner.
All your unexpected responses were a pleasant surprise allowing me to see how others view rookie chat from long term player perspectives. Ty for your varied insights, they broaden my view on the subject as well.

Last edited:
Rookie chat is a cesspool, I nuked that first day. Too bad it still goes into my chat logs.

Sometimes people apologise because in some cultures it's polite. " sorry to bother you" I don't see it as a reflection on the channel, I too would start with a "sorry" if I was needing some help, and I've been here for 7 years and used to space channels!

Last edited:
Rookie chat is a cesspool, I nuked that first day. Too bad it still goes into my chat logs.

Damn. Thought it wouldn't when I'm unsubscribed. All the years and it never occurred to me to look until now, lol.

As for the above request, I sincerely hope also OP can appreciate what a can of worms censorship is, no matter how well-intentioned. The latter alone is a bitch to even begin to agree upon, and it always, ALWAYS goes down the slippery slope once started.

What San said.

You just cannot enforce good manners by decree.

NO

if you want to live a snowflake experience in a bubble, go somewhere else. rookie is fine, your complaining is NOT.

the gall of people to want to "filter" (=censor) pretty much the only chat where you don't have to pay attention to every word you say... :mad: ironically I got words for the op I can't post here!

Why single in on Trump? Each and every politician known beyond their rotten hamlet is controversial to a degree, so we should ban mentioning them all. In particular, lets start with Theresa May; of course, that may generate some false positives, especially in April and May, but it's all for the greater good, isn't it? :laugh:

In reality, word filters are pretty much useless. They'll just encourage people to find creative ways to circumvent them.

What could work - not letting anyone ignored by more than x other avatars post on 'official' channels like Rookie or Space travel. Not sure what the x should be though.

What could work - not letting anyone ignored by more than x other avatars post on 'official' channels like Rookie or Space travel. Not sure what the x should be though.

I like this idea. Although it could be abused with the many Alts about, both in continuing the chat through an alt, or getting all your Alts to ignore someone for purpose.

With the new community officials in the chats, I hope they have the power to disable certain troublesome avatars from posting. Like a somewhat soft ban.

Why single in on Trump? Each and every politician known beyond their rotten hamlet is controversial to a degree, so we should ban mentioning them all. In particular, lets start with Theresa May; of course, that may generate some false positives, especially in April and May, but it's all for the greater good, isn't it? :laugh:

In reality, word filters are pretty much useless. They'll just encourage people to find creative ways to circumvent them.

this comes to mind https://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2008/jun/30/computerautocorrectssurname

The American Family Association thinks, apparently, that the word "gay" is ambiguous, and so they prefer the word "homosexual" (clearly, they're never having to worry about counting units in headlines).

Which would be all right as long as they had a little care in the use of their spellchecker, which they're told to replace the word "gay" with "homosexual" in their use of their nice cleaned-up version of the news.

But they didn't.

And so.. there's been an athletics competition in which the athlete that you and I know as Tyson Gay - he's a sprinter - won.

But over on AFA that led to the headline "Homosexual eases into 100 final at Olympic trials".

and then there is scunthorpe.... (town in Northern England if your wondering)

As this channel is an introduction to the game for new players, I think MA should assign moderators 24/7 to the channel and have them actively monitor the chat to keep the bad seeds from messing it up for the rest.

I don't think Chat Filters will help much as the nitwits will just use different terms to get around them (or even make them up).

As this channel is an introduction to the game for new players, I think MA should assign moderators 24/7 to the channel and have them actively monitor the chat to keep the bad seeds from messing it up for the rest.

Who is gonna pay for these. I haven't tried but assume you can already report someone who is really abusive and they will deal with it. We don't want to live with total supervision. No, nein, njet, aldrig. Enough now.

No, it is a common phrase people ask in all kinds of scenarios, designed to potentially deflect anyone saying "that's a stupid question" or to apologize in advance for any inconvenience and its an easily understandable way to express that a question is ask respectfully. It happens everywhere.

Who is gonna pay for these. I haven't tried but assume you can already report someone who is really abusive and they will deal with it. We don't want to live with total supervision. No, nein, njet, aldrig. Enough now.

San,

This is rookie chat. It's purpose is for new players to have a place to ask questions. It's also an Official MA Channel. MA should be staffing Moderators to be there, at the least, to make sure the correct answers are given and not expect their player base to constantly support them. MA has recently staffed up support and they seem to be monitoring a lot of channels, why not Rookie also?

And this is not about supervision.. this is about protecting their product and making sure assholes in the channel are not ruining their name. :wise:

San,

This is rookie chat. It's purpose is for new players to have a place to ask questions. It's also an Official MA Channel. MA should be staffing Moderators to be there, at the least, to make sure the correct answers are given and not expect their player base to constantly support them. MA has recently staffed up support and they seem to be monitoring a lot of channels, why not Rookie also?

And this is not about supervision.. this is about protecting their product and making sure assholes in the channel are not ruining their name. :wise:

I've seen the advisors in there, they sometimes try to steer the conversions towards game chat, they just need mod powers to kick players for an hour or 2

These are two opposite statements in the same sentence. The rest is going to fall outside of forum restrictions yet again. I... am so tired.

I acknowledge that about supervision was pointless, since we already are. Everything you say in-game is stored in multiple chat logs and could be used against you upon anyone's decision.

Back