How to Reduce Energy Cost

Hi. Can you suggest other ways to reduce power consumption and utility bills? What's your solution for this? I thought I have done everything to reduce it but I guess not because every month is just like the previous. Please help!

Hi. Can you suggest other ways to reduce power consumption and utility bills? What's your solution for this? I thought I have done everything to reduce it but I guess not because every month is just like the previous. Please help!

Turn off everything except for the computer :)

I suggest that you look for a service provider that could provide you with a superior energy management. It could help you with energy consumption and reduce utility costs.

not sure where you are in the world but in US you can have balance billing so you get basically the same power bill every month based on historical usage. Therefore any change in your usage will not make any difference in your bill until the power company does an audit.

also in many places your rate per kwh is based on your single highest demand for electricity for the month, since they must have that much electricity available to you all month in case you demand that at any time.

where I live you can opt out of balance billing so you see a better reflection of your energy usage on each months bill.

every now and then I walk through the house room by room and look at each plug to decide does that device really need to be plugged in all the time or not. many of our electronics these days use almost as much electricity when they are turned off as when they are turned on so that you can enjoy 'instant on' when you decide to use it. so you are better off unplugging such devices until the moment you decide to use it.

The PSU, Power supply for computers is usually a cheap unit with 80% efficiency,ie you lose 20% energy in energy converted. They have Gold and Platinum PSU units you can put into a computer case with between 90%-93% efficiency helps for 10% plus less electric costs. Energy efficient CPU and Graphics cards also help, for example i had a HD 7790 Graphics card and it only used 70 Watts, bigger graphics can use up to 200 Watts of electric! Old CPU can use 120 Watts and newer ones 40-50 Watts etc. Or use a Laptop plugged into a Monitor for around 50-60 watts maximum for the whole system.

Around the Flat/House use 5 Watt LED Light Bulbs, Phillips do a nice set of 6/ 5.5 Watts 50 Watt output for around £16 for a box of six off Amazon. Modern televisions use around 50 Watts and older ones 200 Watts +. A Televison at 50 Watts switched on for 12 hours a day is around £50 to run a year and a 200 Watt TV around £200 a year, so potential £150 less electricity for the energy efficient ones!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-LE...8&qid=1498913048&sr=8-16&keywords=philips+led

We use in a 3 Bedroom House less than 2000 Kwh a year.
Average use in the EU for a house is 3500 Kwh a year.
Average use in the USA for a house is 15,000 Kwh a year!

Last edited:
Can you get a smart meter or one of these wee beauties?
http://www.theowl.com/index.php?cID=185

We got one when the bills were getting ridiculous. Its really good to physically see how much energy is being used. Especially for the kids, after the first day of switching everything on and off to watch the numbers spike, the quickly learned how to play the game of keeping the numbers low ;)

Back