Will there be surrogate robot females in my time?

Feeling lonely?

I'll keep you warm.

You buy a robot and take it home, and her first words are 'I ain't never seen your name in the Hall of Fame!'

:D :D :D

You buy a robot and take it home, and her first words are 'I ain't never seen your name in the Hall of Fame!'

:D :D :D

They will have to work on its search algo :laugh:

We are pretty close to some forms of human-like robots. It depends on what exactly you expect a "robot female" to do. If you want a robot which is an exact duplicate of a human and able to be fully uplugged and mobile for many hours, like a normal human, we are still somewhat far away.

It's a confluence of various technologies maturing and working together.

You got "AI" for natural language interaction. We also have other "AI" stuff being done for difference types of functions, from IBM Watson to Google's Go beating "AI" to various forms of neural nets. Not to forget the various hardware (Nvidia is going big on this currently) being produced and optimised for "AI" functionality.

You got research going on to go pass the "uncanny valley".

You got pretty good material science done to create the texture / feel / look / of artificial skin (not linking it, but look up real doll for some examples - may not be safe for work)

There is alot of miniature relays / hydraulics / etc available (research even being done at the nano scale level). Look at Boston Dynamics videos to show examples of fully mobile "smart" bots under research. Although the form factor is not very human like (except for the video where they had a bot which was being pushed around, that is close), we are getting there.

Independant power sources (for unplugged mobile bots) are also progressing, although at a somewhat slower pace.

So, define what you need, and we may be closer then you realise to creating it.

So, define what you need, and we may be closer then you realise to creating it.

I'm just messing around. I've always been fascinated by Robots. Every since I was a kid watching movies and tv and reading sci fi stories from the likes of Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov. The latest movie I watches was, Ex Machina, that was pretty cool. I like to imagine what it will be like to have them around us in all shapes and forms and uses.

The big hook for me in PE was the back story of man and machine colonizing caly and the bots killing the meat bags and we have to fight our way back. When I was having to do my tp run back in the day I got stuck in some outpost area near raven valley heading to ft zeus by getting one shot by the big red troopers that were out there. I vowed to get my revenge and have loved killing bots in game every since. I'm sorry the lore has been mostly lost in the grind, it was really fascinating for me back then, I really felt like I was IN that world when I logged in back then, that feeling is mostly lost now, kind of like learning your favorite fantasy isn't as real as you thought. Now its all about dps, eco, efficiency, etc. somehow everyone became accountants scrounging every last pec. :rolleyes: It makes me want to grab my fembot and head off to some island in the pacific for the rest of my days...

Who woulda thunk it! Apparently we go to different toy stores :laugh:

I'm just messing around. I've always been fascinated by Robots. Every since I was a kid watching movies and tv and reading sci fi stories from the likes of Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov. The latest movie I watches was, Ex Machina, that was pretty cool. I like to imagine what it will be like to have them around us in all shapes and forms and uses.

If you are looking for something like what was shown in Ex Machina, I think we still at least 20 years away. As to how much it will cost, thats the million dollar question ;) We probably need better AI + power source at the least. We got everything else pretty much available right now.

The big hook for me in PE was the back story of man and machine colonizing caly and the bots killing the meat bags and we have to fight our way back. When I was having to do my tp run back in the day I got stuck in some outpost area near raven valley heading to ft zeus by getting one shot by the big red troopers that were out there. I vowed to get my revenge and have loved killing bots in game every since. I'm sorry the lore has been mostly lost in the grind, it was really fascinating for me back then, I really felt like I was IN that world when I logged in back then, that feeling is mostly lost now, kind of like learning your favorite fantasy isn't as real as you thought. Now its all about dps, eco, efficiency, etc. somehow everyone became accountants scrounging every last pec. :rolleyes: It makes me want to grab my fembot and head off to some island in the pacific for the rest of my days...

Mac you just transported me back in time with that memory.

Yes, it was exactly that! You were part of a story and it felt right.

Regarding topic: I don't use Siri much nor have an Amazon Alexa and the like but yes, some type of humanoid, female companion would be cool I think as long as she didn't try to change me.

Human brain is built to continually discard/ignore the elements once they have been observed and classified. For the child a chair in the room is a fantastic phenomenon, unknown and wonderful. Once you learn to recognize chairs they will be instantly labeled as "a known object used to sit down on" and discarded from the active consciousness.

It's a necessary adaptation, brain takes lot of energy so you need to constantly minimize the processing load down to the bare minimum and discard all the rest. Otherwise you spend too much energy and starve to death. We are not built to admire the beauty around us, we're biological machines optimized for survival. The realities of the human condition...

It is possible to see the world around you as something completely new and awe inspiring but it take's a conscious effort, essentially a brain hack of sorts. That's what Japanese are doing when they meditate on the form and texture of a single pine needle.

( loosely related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogvMnx-2nFg )

If you are looking for something like what was shown in Ex Machina, I think we still at least 20 years away. As to how much it will cost, thats the million dollar question ;) We probably need better AI + power source at the least. We got everything else pretty much available right now.

Yes, I'll take two to go please.

(that is... as long as I don't end up the same :laugh: )

Mac you just transported me back in time with that memory.

Yes, it was exactly that! You were part of a story and it felt right.

That's it, "feeling like part of the story." I see many make similar references to old PE, what changed, where did the magic go when they "upgraded"? :scratch2:

Regarding topic: I don't use Siri much nor have an Amazon Alexa and the like but yes, some type of humanoid, female companion would be cool I think as long as she didn't try to change me.

I have siri on my iphone and alexa on my amazon fire hd stick plugged into my smart/dumb samsung tv. Neither has made a place in my daily life. :rolleyes:

Human brain is built to continually discard/ignore the elements once they have been observed and classified. For the child a chair in the room is a fantastic phenomenon, unknown and wonderful. Once you learn to recognize chairs they will be instantly labeled as "a known object used to sit down on" and discarded from the active consciousness.

It's a necessary adaptation, brain takes lot of energy so you need to constantly minimize the processing load down to the bare minimum and discard all the rest. Otherwise you spend too much energy and starve to death. We are not built to admire the beauty around us, we're biological machines optimized for survival. The realities of the human condition...

It is possible to see the world around you as something completely new and awe inspiring but it take's a conscious effort, essentially a brain hack of sorts. That's what Japanese are doing when they meditate on the form and texture of a single pine needle.

( loosely related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogvMnx-2nFg )

Fascinating, explains much.

Loved the clip, not sure how I miss these. I guess I need a bot to monitor the network for me.

Back