Mêlée all the Way! 2017 - Caly Edition

Ardorj

Elite
Society
NBK Rangers
Ardorj-Njarr
Mêlée all the Way! 2017 - Caly Edition : friday 22nd Sep. - sunday 24th Sep.

Hello my fellow Entropedians, Mêlée-fans, and wannabees,

Some of you might know me from your trips to Arkadia, or from the days long past when Caly was my home. I am a fan of mêlée hunting, and have organized three mêlée hunting events so far on Arkadia. Now is a good time to bring it to Calypso!
I did a 24 Hours Mêlée all the Way! twice. First in 2015, second in 2016. The last time was a weekend in february, with long enough breaks for eating, sleeping and relaxing. (click on the links to Ark.Forum for the threads).
This time it will be roughly the same as earlier this year. I've set it at 22.09 to 24.09.2017 ... yet dates are subject to change.

But first some general information. It will go the basicly the same way as the Arkadian Editions:

:smash: General Information, I will ...
1) ... start at different times, lasting also different hours. See further below for what time each day.
2) ... make a team "Calypso Mêlée all the Way 2017!" where everyone* who wants to can join me. As long as one uses a mêlée weapons that's fine by me, ie. it's a public 'free event'.
* Some timeslots are more geared towards beginners, another for the pro's.
3) ... hunt only using mêlée, not even a tagging-weapon if that can be avoided. Only I will use some kind of tagger, in case the mobs we are hunting are too agressive, or when needed otherwise.
4) ... hunt on Planet Calypso. I don't plan on flying to FOMA, CP or any other sattelite that might be in orbit.
5) ... do my best so that you can win the following: a) Fun! b) Friends! c) Mêlée skills and unlocks! d) New level in Mêlée-prostandings! e) New Mêlée weapons!
6) ... hunt and global on as many creatures as possible.

:wise: The event-rules are not too complicated:
1) Every-one is invited. Have fun and invite your friends to share the fun. One day is more suitable for those with no or little mêlée skills, others for those with more.
2) Team-rules will be set to 'Damage, stack share' and the sharing of (good) items is encouraged. Last time, like the year before, included by cruelty mostly ranged weapons such as Melee Trauma Amplifier II (L), Piron PLP-27 (L), Scott & Barlow BP-16 (L), Piron PBR-27 (L), Piron PBP-42 (L), Scott & Barlow LP-13 (L).
3) Your skills and gear don't matter, it's cool wether you use a Castorian Combat EnBlade-A from the TT, or an über weapon, tier 8.x with enhancers, Trauma Amp and stuff. (Again, depending on the day)
4) Only use mêlée weapons, shooting is a capital offense! All mêlée types are welcome: Clubs, Daggers, Powerfists, Swords and Whips.
5) To try to get globals from as many Calypsian creatures as possible. We globaled on 12 out of 18 different mobs the first time. And again 11 different mobs in 20 hunts in 2016. Just on 6 mobs of 19 possible candidates in february.
6) When there's no-body to hunt with me I'll open a nice bottle of beer and pretend to have friends.

I noticed that things can be unclear while talking ingame about the Hours Mêlée all the Way! Therefore I've now included a ...

:scratch2: Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What is MatW?
A: Mêlée all the Way! That's my motto, and the name of this event.
Q: When is the starttime?
A: That depends on the day. See further below for more details.
Q: I can't hunt for 24 hours, that's far too long!
A: That was in 2015 and 2016, silly.
Q: I can only use a TT-sword, can I still join?
A: Yes you can! Dmg/sec is not important because the loot-distribution is set to 'Damage, stack share'. That means that when you do only 1% of the dmg, you'll get only 1% of the stackables. In fact, some tiems are specially for those who can only use (or want to) TT-Mêlée!
Q: What can I win in this event?
A: Nothing. It's not such an event, it's an event to have fun and hunt with other mêlée-fans in a team. Don't let that discourage you though, the first edition of the WOF made by Hurricane were done in the same way. Mêlée all the Way! is about coming together as mêlée-hunters.
Q: Why can't I use a tagger?
A: Because that's why. When I started this game - 12,5 years ago now - I said to myself to only use mêlée-weapons. I made the mistake to buy a Sollomate Opalo when that item was introduced, yet I still hunt ~90% mêlée only. Tagging is for wossies who are afraid they can get hurt.
Q: Do you need a healer?
A: Needed = no. Welcome = yes. Everyone is entitled to take care of his/her own health. That includes armour, and combat fap. If you want to, you can join as a healer, but it will be entirely on your own cost. I will not set a healers share in the team rules.
Q: What mobs are we going to hunt?
A: Whatever the team wants to. As mentioned, I am not a Calypsian any more, although I know quite some still from memory. I am open to all suggestions, so feel free to say in team.chat what you like to hunt!
Q: What is the estimated cost to join?
A: That depends entirely on yourself ofcourse, what weapon will you use and how long will you join the hunt? To give you an idea, hunting for one hour with the MAKO FAL-TT (L) (that's Ark. TT-sword) at constant slashing: 33 attacks/min * 60 = 1980 attacks/hour ; 2,65 PEC/use /100 = 0,0265 PED/ use ; 1980 * 0,0265 = 52,47 PED. This february I spended, including defense-costs, not more then 2400 PED. Last year I spended a little over 3100 PED, and before that less then 4100 PED.
Q: Where do I apply?
A: You don't have to, it's nice if you leave a note that you want to of course! During the hunts I'll try to spam Caly.chat regularily what we are hunting and give the coords. You can also add me ingame, look for Bregi Ardorj-Njarr.
Q: Where can I buy a ticket? How much does a ticket cost?
A: The event is free for all, hunting all over Planet Calypso. Therefor you don't have to buy a ticket.
Q: What can I win?
A: This is not an event where only one will be the winner and takes home a stack of PEDs or item. When you join, you are a winner by default! Because when joining the MatW! you get the opportunity to hunt in a great mêlée-only team, take down some of the big mobs, have a laugh and cry out when we swirl big!
Q: You have such a difficult name! How should I call you?
A: Ardorj, that's not too difficult when you try it a few times haha. Ard for sure is oké too.

And now for the dates and times of the hunts, and some restrictions that might be. Things can change, so when there are only hunters who can use a Philo, while I wanted to hunt with the big toys, it will become a Philo-hunt.

1. Friday 22nd September : Heavy-Mêlée
Let's start with a blast (blow!) and take the heaviest mêlée weapon you can use!
Start: 17:30 MA-Time.
End: ~21:00 MA-Time.
Special rule: As much dmg/sec as you can handle.

2. Saturday midday 23rd September : TT-Mêlée
This time is for those with little or no mêlée skills to try it out. A good team can, even with only simple TT-weapons, take down quite some strong mobs. Think like Atrox, Drone, Longu, Nexnecis.
For those with 10 Strenght or less I have a free MANTA K-TT (L) (Ark. TT-knife) to hunt with!
Start: 13:00 MA-Time.
End: 15:30 MA-Time.
Special rule: Use the Mêlée weapons from the TT only! Feel free to use one from a different planet if you want. (max 5.0 dmg/sec)

3. Saturday evening 23rd September : Katsuichi Krazy!
Katsuichi was my old sword of choice. And I know that many part-time mêlée hunters have one or two of these. So let's go old skool and be krazy with the Katsuichi, Dagger of Doom & Despair, Castorian Survival EnBlade-7, Thorifoid Battle Club, Dominax Cobra and other non-SIB weapons! (ie. the old weapons that are maxed-out at level 100).
Start: 16:30 MA-Time
End: when I want to go to bed.
Special rule: Only old skool weapons (no SIB) allowed!

4. Sunday midday 24th September : Fill it up to Philo!
This time it's for those who have hunted with mêlée before, but aren't a pro yet. So we'll use many's favorite Philosopher's Sword, or similar. That means try to keep it below 42.0 dmg/sec.
Start: 11:00 MA-Time.
End: 15:00 MA-Time.
Special Rule: Hunt with your Philo, similar weapon or lower.

5. Sunday evening 24th September : Free for all!
This day it won't matter what kind of weapon and outfit you use. Use your TT-blade or your super-duper club.
Start: 16:30 MA-Time.
End: ~21:30 MA-Time. (dinner break included)
Special rule: Hunt the mobs that we couldn't global on first!

And just like last time ... things are subject to change!

Sharpen your blades! Loves,
Ard :smash::wtg::smash:

Last edited:
Q: If I want to 'solo' hunt in the team, is that ok as long as I use only MELEE weapons?

Look forward to joining this event again.

Cheers

It was so much fun last year or was it the the first one I participated, time moves to quickly for me.

Why not make one special one for the longtooth this summer though? Could be some pwnage slicing them like butter.

I'll join you guys, sounds like a lot of fun! :cool:

Q: If I want to 'solo' hunt in the team, is that ok as long as I use only MELEE weapons?

If you mean by 'solo' that you are one of the teammembers, yet hunt by yourself in a different area, then the answer is: Yes. As long as there is a place for others who want to join the team and hunt together ofcourse.

Look forward to joining this event again.

Cheers

Yes, so do I!

It was so much fun last year or was it the the first one I participated, time moves to quickly for me.

Why not make one special one for the longtooth this summer though? Could be some pwnage slicing them like butter.

Because at this moment my spare time is very rare. In about two weeks from now I'll be on vacation till the end of august.

Yes it is!

~ Ardorj :D:wtg::D

interesting idea. surprised you don't have a whip day, a knife day, a club day, etc.

Someday down the road when I get skilled enough on the boiga, I think it may be interesting to get a team over to Toulan to try to do the team mission to get the Karmoosh Lateef

interesting idea. surprised you don't have a whip day, a knife day, a club day, etc.

Every time all types of mêlée are welcome. I can understand how one can think otherwise by my choice of words. Hope I have it explained more clear now.

Someday down the road when I get skilled enough on the boiga, I think it may be interesting to get a team over to Toulan to try to do the team mission to get the Karmoosh Lateef

I've never been to Toulan, and don't like whips myself. But when I'll receive a call to join this mission, then I'll be all ears!

Bump for all you Mêlée fans! :eyecrazy::yup::eyecrazy:

Subscribe and will try to join :)

ty
DRM

If I am in Caly around that time, will try to join ;)

I sincerely hope they can fix this GC crap in time!

Otherwise I;ll certainly not be able to make it.
Maybe make a quick headcount and consider postponing it depending on the outcome?

Cheers,
IvoL

I'm glad it's been fixed too!
Say it on: Mêlée all the Way coming to Caly! :wtg:

yeah, I can get IG again - now let's do some Melee practicing :lolup:

Last edited:
Four weeks left for the Mêlée all the Way! - Caly Edition. I've three things to say:

1. I've changed some of the times (ending one at 15:30 and starting the next at 12:00 same day is not possible :ahh: )
2. Added TP's for meeting. Note: these are TP's with not many people around, perfect for gathering before the hunts. It has zero to do with what mobs I want to hunt, because that's up to the team.
3. I've thoughted a bit about 'what if there are more then 11 that wants to join?' I will never say: "Too late!" I dislike the option of Shared Loot (I want to spam Global-chat! + get that HOF!) Thus I want to split team in that case. And for that I need some teamcaptains. So, if you think you can do that, please send me a PM (forum or ingame).

Ard :)

I will look forward to trying this out. Sounds like a good time to be had.:wtg::beerchug::boxer:

Bump for more mêlée hunters! :wtg:

A little kick to the top for this weekend's Mêlée Event! :whip::wtg:

The Mêlée Event couldn't have started better.

Yes! The first HOF - and first Uber - for the Mêlée all the Way!

Thanks all who joined tonight, and see you saturday or sunday. :wtg::yay::wtg:

The event is now over. Thanks for all who joined!

The coming days I'll write a little blog about how it all went. Spoiler Alert:

Thanks to all who joined!
- see you next time on Arkadia! :yay::laugh::yay:

Last edited:
So, here's going to be, in multiple post, my story of the Mêlée all the Way! 2017 - Calypso Edition. I've had a great weekend (even while I was not feeling quite well).
I also want to point out that I have a log on Ark.Forum, for those who are interested in more of the excual numbers and lots of my thoughts about hunting and what I'm doing in the Entropia Universe.

22-Sep-2017 at 19:45 for Ambulimax & Feffoid / at 20:00 for Feffox / at 20:50 for Second Entity
We started out with a team of five melee hunters. One suggested Ambulimax mixed with Feffoid on Treasure Island. We scored the first global on the Ambu's, and I must say that I especially like my Global-pic. I think it's the first time I have a pic of Global-swirlies combined with TP-chip-swirlies. I sure looks cool! We got them down fast enough, and when two more joined (one of wich, IvoL, can handle them perfectly fine on his own) we ran a bit to the Feffox.
Normally I would have repaired my weapons and gear, note down the loot, and get on with the next hunt. But tonight the first three hunts all smoothly went over from one to the next. I took a stronger weapon in my hands, put on some plated armour and was ready to go. After two good globals Aia the mindforce healer joined our team. She has helped more then once with her Divine Intervention and Resurrection.
Because the Feffox were now also popping out of exictence like the genetic/ evolutionary non-possibility that they are, we once again changed to another kind of mob. I wanted to do some SEG, just because I've always regarded them as the top of the Mêlée-Mob with their two blades. We only got one good loot out of them, but boy what a loot it was! It was not only the biggest loot since starting the MatW-events, not even just our first HOF, it was an UBER! It contained two or three items (I know of two that has been splitted, one member told me that a third chip had dropped that wasn't split. I don't know for certain what happened, unfortuatly. The loot was flying by too fast for me to follow. I trust every teammember to have split his or her item(s) with the rest of the team.)
Weapon: Lokabhu Electrifier Sword + Melee Trauma Amplifier IV
Weapon: Castorian Combat Mace Mk. II + Melee Trauma Amplifier VI
Armour: None
Armour: Viceroy, Skullcandy + 5B Plates
Special Loot: Corrosive Attack Nanochip V (L)
Special Loot: Kinetic Attack Nanochip VII (L) ; Synchronization Chip XIV
Return: 237,5%

22-Sep-2017 at 22:00 for Formidon & Malcruentor
At first we wanted to go for some more slug-types, the Letomie, next. Unfortuatly, all of Deathifiers lands are now pretty much a waste land. After walking around there a bit, killing a few and also one Hogglo because we wandered into another area, we deceided to try the Formidons.
We found a rather good spot SW of Osiri Hearts, just one fly over the Osseocollum. Many mobs have gotten an overhaul, in stats and/or looks. The Formidon is one of them, and I like they way the look now. It's not much of a difference, it's still clearly a Formidon, but still better. It just screams at you being ancient, deathly and not to mess with.
We didn't knew, but in that area there was another highly skilled predator: the Malcruentor. Oh dear, these are lethal! One Mature had the potential to wipe out the entire mêlée-team! Despite that, I also kinda like how they look. A bit like a spinosaurus with a more blunt head and two impressive horns on its head.
The loot on the Formidons was good, but on the Malcruentors all bad so I ended with a little loss.

Weapon: Castorian Combat Mace Mk. II + Melee Trauma Amplifier VI
Special Loot: Combustive Attack Nanochip IV
Return: 89,4%

Last edited:
Reactions: San
23-Sep-2017 at 15:20 for Atrax & Cornundacauda
Saturday started with the TT-blades and give-away of free Manta-K's for those inexperienced in the way of the blade. Less then earlier this year on Arkadia showed up (maybe the meeting location is not well known by the beginner players?) But still, with a little team of first four and later five (who flew halfway across Eudoria to get to the place where we hunted!) we had a good time hunting Atrax and Cornundacauda. After a night with heavy melee weapons versus mighty predators, it's always nice to do a little hunt with TT-blades versus the weaker kind of animals.
We got enough minies to grant a good return.

Weapon: MANTA K-TT (L)
Special Loot: None
Return: 140.0%

23-Sep-2017 at 18:50 for Longu
After dinner (all times are European btw) we got together again, and this time for big Longu. The loot was pretty damn bad, so we left soon enough. This was also the first hunt of Stage III "Katsuichi Krazy". At the beginning I was wondering if any would dare to hunt with non-maxed non-SIB old-skool mêlée, but luckily they did. Some five others at least, and this evening the team went from three to six members back and forth.

Weapon: Katsuichi Determination, SGA Edition + Melee Trauma Amplifier VI
Return: 68,7%

23-Sep-2017 at 19:35 for Molisk
After the big Longu (that were just a bit over our possibilities to be honest), we tried something smaller. We wanted to go for big Molisk, but found more small to mid maturity. We stayed on them rather long, even though it didn't really work. Long then I liked myself, but then Molisk never quite were a favorite of mine to begin with.

Weapon: Katsuichi Pride + Melee Trauma Amplifier I & Khorum Ice Dagger + Melee Trauma Amplifier I
Return: 67,1%

23-Sep-2017 at 20:25 for Allophyl & Estophyl
Now we went for a mob that had been one of my favorite in the past, when Calypso still was my home. Nowadays I call Arkadia my home, and that proved a challenge on some occassions, because more often then not I didn't knew where to find a mob that we wanted to hunt.
This mix of Allophyl and Estophyl went pretty well, nothing special in the loot (still since using the Katsuichi), but an improvement at least. I've also made a rather cool screenshot, if I might say so myself. One Allophyl was hiding behind a boulder. While the other mêlée hunters we going round that boulder, I climbed on top of it and jump then jumped off, on the Allo's head with my sword raised high. The picture is probably not that clear, but when you know the story you can see it (it's the first picture).

Return: 90,7%

23-Sep-2017 at 21:50 for Rextelum
The last hunt of saturday with the Katsuichi and other old-skool weapons was in the desert where the Sabakuma crawls, the Aetherex floats, and the Rextelum pries. We started with a team of four (Graden who was here almost non-stop since the start; IvoL a soc-mate who's first hunt of the MatW were these Rextelum; Bones who attented earlier Arkadia versions and flew that night from there). A got PM's from Hallowen that she also wanted to join, and when she landed one of the flying dragons descended upon her. She didn't she it coming, I tried to rescue her but got there too late. The others were in the meantime busy killing another Rextelum, so I had the Aetherex all to myself. It carried a large stack of Shrapnel, just a few PEDs shy of a Global!
The first kills were of the lower maturities, and because they went down fast enough with us withstanding their blows, we felt convident to take on the stronger Rextelum. The weaker of the stronger also weren't much of a problem, but the L47's (Hunter) were a tad to much, especially when a brother joined the fight.
At the end, this kind of solo-looting that I had with the oversized bats in a team was reserved. My sword was about to break, I was feeling tired and said: "Oke, this is my last mob." The others were doing one more and boom: a Global!

Return: 122.2%

Last edited:
Cool thing :) For future refference, not sure what it happens with TI & Deathifier, no idea why the lands are not feeded. However, both Hogglos and Letomies can be found in pvp1, east of Argus. Letomies are in the NW section of PVP, Hogglos are in SE. Furors are in a LA I think, Frescocudas can be found no tax (but very high maturities) at Notus. SEGs and Miner Bots are natural spawns I think, so that would be up to MA? And finally no idea about the Globster.

First of all: this is not to be considered a bump. The event is over anyhow. I write this story in parts, simply because 1) it is too big to write in one go, and 2) I have sadly experience with my blog on Ark.Forum where I've lost everything I wrote for like an error due to a single miss-click or keystroke. By the way, I often edit (add) the last post too when I write about the next hunt.
(You could see this as a kind of "hey look what we've done, be sure to attend next time" though)

24-Sep-2017 at 13:15 for Atrox
I started the last day, Stage IV "Fill it up to Philo" with one fellow hunter. We both used the Arkadian Lokabhu Electrifier Sword. He wanted to hunt Atrox and so we did.
This was to be one of my worst hunts. Like worst ever since I started recording my hunts end of 2015. There had been others, unfortuatly only a few days past on Eviscerators had not been much better, but most of the very bad hunts are when I killed a small amount of tiny mobs. One of the major exceptions are Riptors that I hunted during the first MatW! : a stagaring 32.3%! I don't blame the Atrox for failing to set a new standard. I do blame them for doing the best to could at trying to.
I don't know what many find so good or fun about hunting Atrox, because even if the loot was good (or at least better), I found them pretty damn boring. Shrapnel is about the only thing they seem to loot, with a piece of oil or hide here and there?

Armour: Shogun + 4C Plates
Return: 49,5%

24-Sep-2017 at 14:10 for Ambulimax
Near the end of the previous hunt I got a PM from Robert (who joined the MatW in previous hunts) asking to join. I replied that he could better wait at Jurra, because our swords would soon break and loot is crap. After a short break the three of us flew in another direction from Jurra to hunt the Ambulimax.
This hunt was -again- fantastic! I never expected a second HOF after the 1.1k SEG, but we did! A bit smaller, but hey, you won't hear me complaining about just that! Winnie even got a full TT Omegaton Saturn (L) in there, and we all three got more then enough Shrapnel to get along with. Shortly after Mace joined our little team.
When I called the hunt to an end, and went to an outpost we were close by, winnie get going and scored another fine global with an item in it. I gotta be good at getting swirlies while I'm in odd locations lol.

Armour: Shogun + 4C Plates
Special Loot: Omegaton Saturn (L)
Return: 218.8%

24-Sep-2017 at 15:20 for Argonaut Elite
What more could we go for in this little mêlée team of ours? The Argonauts, of course!? I didn't knew they also came in this Elite version, wich is a rather good special type of maturity for teamhunts. Quite a lot of HP, and for how much health they have at least, ot that much dmg. But they were very well capable of dealing enough damage, and more often then not one or more of us found himself at revival. Especially when we had more to deal with more then one of these Elite Argonauts at a time.
Soon enough we were joined by two others (Zeus and Graden, both who also joined in earlier hunts of this MatW). At the end, my sword was close to breaking point anyway, some fucker who could stand a team of mêlée hunters near him or whatever dropped a group of about ten Elites on us. If that moron happens to read this story, I advice him to read till the end.

Special Loot: Combustive Attack Nanochip I (L)
Return: 61,1%

24-Sep-2017 at 16:25 for Maffoid
With four others from last hunt we went to a Maffoid Camp. That is a very neat area, that I hadn't been to myself yet. I think this was where in the earlier days (before Space) the Maffoid Traders were? It has a rather dark atmosphere to it, yet not so dark that all you see is just black and grey. All kinds of huts and yurts where the Maffoids spawn (always in the same locations, like they live and work there). There are also crates with other animals in them, I've seen Snablesnot and Merp. Those are a bit hard to poke through their wooden fences with a sword, yet it can be done. Enough to put them out of their misery.
Here we also looted the third, and last, unlimited Mindforce Chip. MindArk must have been following my blog on Ark.Forum where I've said that I want to skill more with Mindforce lol!
It was a good hunt in many ways. Loot was good, environment was cool, hunting with a team of like-minded people. Yes, I liked this one very much, thank you!

Special Loot: Regeneration Chip V
Return: 155.7%

Last edited:
It was a great weekend indeed, I had a lot of fun, tnx to everyone that joined!

Was only able to make one of the days and it was a ton of fun. Thanks everyone who participated and thank you Ardorj for this event , I cant wait for the next.

Thank you for organizing this cool event. :)

And thanks to all the co-participants who made the event quite enjoyable. :yup:

Nice swirlies & l00t. Plus, finally reached 5000 pts Longblades the evening after, which for my style of playing is an accomplishment.
So, happy about that too.
:yay:

Last edited:
Although I could join for a short time only, it was great! Thank you for organising this. If you ever want to do some melee hunting, please feel free to PM me ingame, it will always be a pleasure!

Back