Mêlée all the Way! 2017 - Caly Edition

Thanks for all the kind words - it's good to see you enjoyed it as much as I did!
Gratz Graden for the 5000 Longblades, keep it up! Unless I've missed something, all I archieved was level 35 One Handed Clubber (Dmg) on the first hunt. Even so, I've progressed quite a bit.

24-Sep-2017 at 18:50 for Mermoth & Cersumon & Bristlehog
After dinner I teamed with ethen and Brilliam for the last Stage "Free for All". Because ethen was using a Castorian EnBlade-6 ELM we thought about something not too hard: the Mermoth. We discovered that they live on Oyster Island, together with the stronger (but doable) Cersumon and a whole lot of Bristlehogs. The loot was pretty decent with minies, Brilliam left and that left just the two of us.
Nearing the end I got a PM from Blade. He said: "Oke, I'll join even for a few mobs." For some reason I once more attacked another mob then the others did, and that was a good all-stacks global kicking my already decent returns well in the green.

Weapon: Lokabhu Electrifier Sword + Melee Trauma Amplifier IV
Armour: Shogun + 4C Plates
Special Loot: None
Return: 137.4%

24-Sep-2017 at 21:05 for Chomper
For the next hunt there were again a lot more who wanted to join the mêlée team -almost all who joined in previous hunts. I wanted to end with something impressive, and all kinds of mobs were suggested. Falxangius: only high maturities and those would kill us. Spiders: couldn't find them on an island where they suppedly hide, there's in LA with them but spawn is very poor there, and in the crater they crawl all over the place. Chompers: yeah, why not?
So, we teleported or flew to Osiri Hearts, waiting a couple more minutes for all to arrive and set on to whipe these six-legged mammoths from the land. Just when I finished saying: "Items are split equally, doesn't matter if one is attacking another mob or at revival.", half of the team got shafted by a Chomper ... global! With a good item (Mindforce Chip -again!) in my loot, lol!
We scored two more globals, and then headed south to the TP. I and a couple of others walked all the way, killed a few annoying Tezlapods and then this hunt also came to an end.

Weapon: Castorian Combat Mace Mk. II + Melee Trauma Amplifier VI
Armour: Viceroy, Skullcandy + 5B Plates
Special Loot: Cryogenic Attack Nanochip VIII (L)
Return: 108.4%

24-Sep-2017 at 22:20 for Nexnecis & Hispidus
In the end it was just me and Aia left. At first I wanted to try out some Nexnecis. The were introduced just shortly before I migrated to Arkadia. Back then I was bored on Caly, so the Nexnecis were a welcome change back then, but not enough to keep me here (and then just over my level). Low maturities were too simple, so we got to another LA, but there we also only found youngs and matures (and one good loot).
What next, if anything next? Let's go for Hispidus for the last half hour. Together we got into her buggy and drove to one of Deathifier's death LA's to drive around and kill any Hispidus we saw. I've only hunted them a couple of times before, and then always in a team. They killed me a lot back then, and they are still deathly now. It's a shame that this LA is so depleted of life, because I did enjoy hunting them.

Weapon: Castorian Combat Mace Mk. II + Melee Trauma Amplifier VI
Weapon: Lokabhu Electrifier Sword + Melee Trauma Amplifier IV
Armour: Viceroy, Skullcandy + 5B Plates
Special Loot: None
Return: 120.64%

Now for some thoughts about what could be improved and other ramplings:
1. This edition I've spend just over 1900 PEDs (not counting the TT-blades give-aways). My returns are well over 2300 PEDs, meaning a 123% profit!

2. I anticipated more who are noobish with mêlée hunting to attend Stage II "TT-Melee". Not in the least because I had a free Ark.Knife for those with max 10 Strenght, and I got quite some PMs asking me about that. During the whole MatW I gave away more TT-knives to those who wanted to join, but didn't had (or couldn't afford to buy) one. I think that next edition I'll just put a whole lot TT-knives in my pocket and give them away to whoever wants to have one from the first till the last hunt. One of my main goals of organizing is and will be to let others experience how much fun it is to hunt Mêlée all the Way!

3. For some reason I always have difficulties with items in teamhunts and result calculations. It sounds so simple: return % = 100 x (total loot) / (total expenses). Especially for a mêlée-hunter, the last part can be simple when you don't hunt with ELM-weapons. Nothing like "where do I put the converted shrapnel mid-hunt?" In previous editions I did hunt with ELM-weapons, but I've learned from that, therefor this time it's been with unlimited only (exception: TT-melee). I have an Excel-sheet where the expensives of each hunt are separated in four parts: a) weapons (repair!), b) defense (repair!), c) other = TP-chip/ pill/ vehicle (easy arithmetics), d) scanner (repair!). Thanks that part was without failures.
Now the next part, the total loot. Without an item, that's easy: just dump it all in the TT and note the value. With an item, it also shouldn't have been that hard, but somehow that always confuses me. (What I write here now, is also as a reminder for myself how I should do it). Let's take for example an item with a value of 100 PED is looted in a team of 4. Each share of the pie is then 100/4=25 PED. When the item was looted by someone else, and kept by him, I would take those 25 PEDs in the TT, so it would be added to the total loot (as it should be). My confusion kicks in when I end up with the item, because then I more often then not also took that, meaning a 75 PED 'over-loot' in this example. I know for sure that on some items I substracted the 3x25 share of the others, but I don't know if I did so on all. The solution however, is rather simple. Whenever an item is looted, regardless who keeps it, my share is represented by a stack of PEDs. If, as in this example, I would be the one who keeps that 100 PED item, then I would take 4x25 PEDs from the PED-Card. Share three with the team, and keep one stack to add to my loot - and 'ignore' the item itself.
This might be a whole lot of words for something quite simple (I often write too much, sorry!), but item-loots in a team-hunt has always giving me a hard time how to deal with it. While in the end (I came up with this solution when the MatW was over) it's kinda easy. Don't think of it as one 100 PED item that is shared with four people, but rather as four 25 PED items (or stack of PEDs) where each member has looted one.

4. I think I'll do a Mêlée all the Way! annual end of summer/ start of autumn on Calypso, and one on Arkadia in january/ february. If you enjoyed it: keep a watch on the Ark.Forum and Ark.Chat for the next MatW in 2018!

5. I've also considered making it an event where one can win at least something, even if it's just something small. I don't have that much money to give, so a sponsor might be welcome for that. Not sure how it will all be, something like "Guess the value of the last Global" and who wins gets a free hunt with me or (L)-blade.

Thanks once again to all who joined and see you next time! :wtg::cool::wtg:

Last edited:
First of all: I enjoyed it very much and I am looking forward for next time on ark! :)
Great work on advertising and documentation here as well!!

I think it should be easy to find a sponsor for prices if you talk to some of the LA owners. Just hunt on the sponsors land during event for a certain amount of time (at least) and it should be win/win.

Back