Mob Bouncer or Mob Grinder?

Mob Bouncer or Grinder?

• Total voters

Detritus

Sel-requested Deactivation
Detritus the Troll
I've always been a bouncer myself; if loot is crap after about 15 or so kills I move on. I know people in both camps, some very evangelical about their particular system.

Now with Loot 2.Oh, has anybody changed their style? Is your style still working for you? Does anyone have any good evidence to support one method over the other, or does it all even out in the end anyway?

Discuss.

I like to skill. Mission rewards help me skill. I am happy to grind to get the reward. I don't like bouncing around, once I start a mission, I like to grind it until I am done. I'm ocd like that. It makes me feel good to complete things. I like that I have the opportunity to get a nice item or loot while I do it. However, I can't count the number of times I have dumped tons of ped into some mobs grinding so I can finish and someone else pops into the spawn and gets a major loot. MA doesn't tell us how loot works, so I don't know if it was loot I could have had or not. I am happy they got paid, but I can't help feel a bit guilty for spending so much to do a mission and did not get a loot to help me feel like I got an equitable return for my contribution. Having written that, once I max my weapon I will probably give bouncing a try. Find someone grinding a mob for a while and go see if I can bounce in and get an uber next to them :wtg:

Thanks for your thoughts, Mac.

Still early to tell, but initial results make me wonder if I've been doing this wrong the whole time.

It's possible that if you're getting shitty loot, it may or may not help to switch server area and mob. But it's also possible your loot may go to someone else just after you leave (speaking from own experience).

However to maximizing profit and minimizing losses, at least in pre-loot 2.0 I always found that, the most crucial factor was to know when to STOP, take break or switch mob, and hunt your ass off when loot is good.

So bounce, or stop, or grind and lose your ass off, until you hit that multiplier, incase you don't (lose your ass off).

I've always been a bouncer myself; if loot is crap after about 15 or so kills I move on. I know people in both camps, some very evangelical about their particular system.

Now with Loot 2.Oh, has anybody changed their style? Is your style still working for you? Does anyone have any good evidence to support one method over the other, or does it all even out in the end anyway?

Discuss.

Nothing ever good came when I bounced around. In fact, any run under 1000ped, I am 88.5%TT. A run is a single hunt on a mob and changes when I switch mobs or day ends.

Sometimes it takes loot a while to warm up. It is either front loaded (semi uncommon), steady (rare), back loaded (very common).

In the words of someone I happen to trust in this game (very few), "find the markup and grind the fuck out of it."

Discuss.

I stick more or less to the same mobs. I think about bouncing when the loot is bad, but I can't seem to move on. I do at times bounce to new areas to hunt the same mob. I found all servers are not the same waves. Yes, we still got them. Just hope not in item drops and what not...

Nothing ever good came when I bounced around. In fact, any run under 1000ped, I am 88.5%TT. A run is a single hunt on a mob and changes when I switch mobs or day ends.

Sometimes it takes loot a while to warm up. It is either front loaded (semi uncommon), steady (rare), back loaded (very common).

In the words of someone I happen to trust in this game (very few), "find the markup and grind the fuck out of it."

Coincidentally 88% is exactly where my returns are at, and my runs are usually under 1k ped. Damn.

I have definitely noticed what you describe with the loot, even on my short "grinds" of an hour or two. Sometimes I global right away, and then nothing; sometimes steady stream of minis but no glob; and sometimes I just stick with it out of desperation and get rewarded (sometimes not).

Hmm. Time to rethink my strategy. Maybe I don't need to sell my gear just yet...

Thank you for the words of wisdom.

I do feff and argo dailies along with any other worthwhile dailies first. Then I get my grind on for skills/mission rewards and hopefully good loot/mu. If loot is bad, I'll try to grind through it. If it stays bad, I'll just stop, take a break, sometimes even log off and do something else like play a different game, watch a show/movie or play poker then come back to EU later or even another day. No bouncing mob to mob for me (other than daily missions which part of my routine).

Coincidentally 88% is exactly where my returns are at, and my runs are usually under 1k ped. Damn.

I have definitely noticed what you describe with the loot, even on my short "grinds" of an hour or two. Sometimes I global right away, and then nothing; sometimes steady stream of minis but no glob; and sometimes I just stick with it out of desperation and get rewarded (sometimes not).

Hmm. Time to rethink my strategy. Maybe I don't need to sell my gear just yet...

Thank you for the words of wisdom.

I am just a mathematician.. but as the player base gets more eco (pre 2.0), the only thing that rationally would happen is that it will take longer and longer to grind to hit multipliers. Although I happen to think the lack of multipliers in 2.0 loot is more of a botched algorithm (perhaps untested) and definitely the lack of stabilizing loot (arkadia is pirons, hides, animal parts), we need to understand that you cannot just go into a mob and start globaling like a crazy. While I do not think that it should be this complicated, especially for people just trying to hunt with 500ped, this is how it is and it seems their 2.0 loot system complicates what they tried to remedy.

Does grinding daily missions count? :scratch2: I've been almost exclusively on those for 2+ years now.

I was a grinder, but I'm a bouncer for now until I can find the mob that fits my gear. Then I'll grind again.

Tried both. Often I want to do a specific mission, but keep breaking off when returns don't look promising. Then sometimes they're just flying and it keeps you going even through a long grind. While I'm hopping mobs, planets, activities sometimes, more than that I am hopping on and off one train.

So far I know only one thing: Your sample size is never big enough. Thoroughly fed up with that being stressed by folks with the coffers to feed their addictions and trying to pass this off as a virtue. My sample size is my budget for the period and if they decide to eat it up without giving much time for it, then there won't be anymore. I appreciate them trying to improve this. That said, chasing markup is the only sound advice I can think of. You can't win against the house (while this one grants a few exceptions and this is part of the psychological sorcery to keep you on your toes -- and no, by that I don't mean the recurring claims of favouritism, but the rare equipment that allows you to get over the threshold. It's not for everybody.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac
Didn't vote.

The poll needs an option for 'bounce around until I run out of peds'. :monkey:

If I stumble into good loot, I stick with it until it stops, though.

Grind your iron. After each leg of it go to another mob ... keeps u from boredom. Try to mix 3 iron at same time if mobs are in same area. If mission complete get away from that mob unless it's tradeable and u are a tamer. Wish that iron equivalent for taming existed.... Tames don't count as kills.... Wish low berry land besides Zeus existed since pretty plumi material in loot is too temptingly distraction, especially since no iron plumi yet

I spend my peds carelessly till they run out.

1 word

Force the loot out

Thats my motto :)

Am both, don't have option for that in your poll.

I don't stop and change after a few kills, I stop after I have done a complete 1-2 hours run (or longer, depending on the mob), to better gauge returns.

I stay til my wallet and eyes bleed

which they do most of the time. I do not think this works... When I use my tp chip when a hunt is almost done after no good loot (i run 1.2k ped runs) I usually hit a tiny global on the first mob I land close to.. so.. TP bouncing seems to work for me lol

or it is just because I already had shit returns and system decided to give me something once I started tping towards a TP...

Or it is just luck, or me believing it's how the system works

in other words, I just wasted your time reading this useless post here :D

there is no information gathered about this, just my imagination speaking...

I used to be 100% bouncer, worked perfectly for me. Now it doesn't work at all, there are no up and downs, it's the same flatline peppered with minis at regular intervals. So I mostly sit on one mob and gather statistics, hoping to come up with something better eventually.

I used to be 100% bouncer, worked perfectly for me. Now it doesn't work at all, there are no up and downs, it's the same flatline peppered with minis at regular intervals. So I mostly sit on one mob and gather statistics, hoping to come up with something better eventually.

50 - 80% FTW amirite?

I farm till everything bleeds.

But generally I am working on 2-3 things at the same time, so I can decide what I feel like doing or what my ped card allows me to do. Although, especially when I know I can finish a mission I am working on with in the day, I can easily farm the same mob 8-12 hours just to get it over with and move on.

I like to skill. Mission rewards help me skill. I am happy to grind to get the reward. I don't like bouncing around, once I start a mission, I like to grind it until I am done. I'm ocd like that. It makes me feel good to complete things. I like that I have the opportunity to get a nice item or loot while I do it. However, I can't count the number of times I have dumped tons of ped into some mobs grinding so I can finish and someone else pops into the spawn and gets a major loot. MA doesn't tell us how loot works, so I don't know if it was loot I could have had or not. I am happy they got paid, but I can't help feel a bit guilty for spending so much to do a mission and did not get a loot to help me feel like I got an equitable return for my contribution. Having written that, once I max my weapon I will probably give bouncing a try. Find someone grinding a mob for a while and go see if I can bounce in and get an uber next to them :wtg:

Must spread more rep.. bla bla..
Feel free to come & fill my lootpool:D

Tend to grind on an iron until the stage is complete.

However I take any team invite on any mob if I am available :D, then once the team hunt is over I go back to the grind. So solo grinder, team bouncer.

I usually hunt below my level everyday and when the loot is good I'll go hit a bigger mob. So I bounce in an opposite way.

For example, the other day I looted 5 rubios, 2 skilldeks, and a chikara pistol in maybe 20 minutes on shoggoth. Popped up to kill yog and in 3 kills had an 80 ped global when I usually only global perhaps 15-30 on yog

These are all interesting replies and have given me much to ponder.

Bouncing :yay: Until for absolutely random reasons I fall in love with some mob and then I can grind some. I try to stick to "whatever I feel like". I need the fun factor, so I also team very often or do shared mobs. Can't imagine the scenario which would make me finish the trox iron mission for instance, barely went over 1k. I just don't like them at all :laugh:

I usually hunt below my level everyday and when the loot is good I'll go hit a bigger mob. So I bounce in an opposite way.

For example, the other day I looted 5 rubios, 2 skilldeks, and a chikara pistol in maybe 20 minutes on shoggoth. Popped up to kill yog and in 3 kills had an 80 ped global when I usually only global perhaps 15-30 on yog

Yes, and thats a lot healthier for your pedcard than the otherway around ;)

Back