Success of in game trade channels

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
How many people do you think use the in game trade channels to buy things from?

Have you ever bought anything via an in game trade channel? e.g. #calytrade ?

Have you ever sold anything via an in game trade channel?

What in game trade channels are there?

How many people do you think use the in game trade channels to buy things from?

Depends on the definition of 'use' - most people look into those once in a while but only a handful of wannabe traders read all that spam.

Have you ever bought anything via an in game trade channel? e.g. #calytrade ?

Have you ever sold anything via an in game trade channel?

Yes and yes, but not much.

What in game trade channels are there?

/listchannels trad

That should cover all public channels in English. There are also closed trading clubs and trading in other languages.

I had success asking where is the current shared mob event :yay:

Simple answer:

A: yes
B: yes

#trade
#calypsotrade
#rocktropiatrade
#arktrade

and some more that I actually don´t use

What I normally use is the first 2

Whats nice about the channels is you can turn them off if you choose to do so. In old school pre-channel chat times you couldn't do that as easily. Yes, some do use the channels a lot, and sell in them a lot. Others, no so much. I like keeping the chat channels open, and I see something in it, I might go back a day or two later and do a search through my log to see who announced that stuff in the chat channel and send them an online private message or mail type thing... pre channels we couldn't do that either.

Simple answer:

#trade
#calypsotrade
#rocktropiatrade
#arktrade

You forgot [#cyrenetrade] ;)

Simple answer:

#trade
#calypsotrade
#rocktropiatrade
#arktrade

same, but i use #calytrade then #calypsotrade

You forgot [#cyrenetrade] ;)

below quote is a little outdated, but has most all chat channels in game, both for trading and other purposes (sometimes folks may try to sell stuff like space-specific items in space related channels, etc.)

Please note that there's a long standing 'bug/feature' with chat channels that keeps you from actually being able to get them all on the list you can edit since the chat gui never was made to scroll yet, even though I've sent a few support tickets in about it... so if you add em all like I did/do you won't be able to change the colors or see more than 'one page' in the game that you can pick to edit since it'll just show the first page of channels.

a list of to days public channels

[#aakas]
[#afromanlive]
[#amps]
[#ark]
[#ark-healers]
[#ark-royal]
[#arkadia]
[#arkrig]
[#arktrade]
[#ars]
[#assist]
[#ath]
[#attachments]
[#aud-owners]
[#aug]
[#beacons]
[#caly]
[#caly-healers]
[#calypso]
[#calyrig]
[#calytrade]
[#canada]
[#canal_france]
[#channelofcare]
[#coachscorner]
[#colorful-faith]
[#craft]
[#craft_to_order]
[#crafter]
[#crafters]
[#cyrene-trade]
[#cyrenetrade]
[#danish]
[#digitalknightz]
[#e_f_a]
[#earntropia]
[#eestlased]
[#efa-services]
[#enhancers]
[#eninechat]
[#eppayments]
[#etransport]
[#fap]
[#fortargusbank]
[#france]
[#fungusamongus]
[#fussball]
[#general]
[#global]
[#globals]
[#goat]
[#happy_family]
[#headhunters]
[#healers]
[#hellas]
[#impdalas]
[#makin_money]
[#market]
[#monria]
[#nextisland]
[#nitrade]
[#norway]
[#party]
[#portugal]
[#pvptrade]
[#rahamiehet]
[#ravenjadefirst]
[#rocktrading]
[#rocktropia]
[#romania]
[#russian]
[#searcher]
[#shadowtrade]
[#space]
[#space-repair]
[#space_travel]
[#spam]
[#spanish]
[#spiritchaser]
[#srbija]
[#stargazingchat]
[#startrek]
[#sweat]
[#taxi]
[#toulan]
[#toulanrig]
[#trade]
[#tradermarty]
[#trading]
[#ultimateet]
[#universal]
[#usa]
[#utopia]
[#vnchannel]
[#warpflight]
[#warpflights]
[#zam]

Baron topper

#LBML

I think anyone can create any channel they want basically... so feel free to create your own

Main Chat
All text communication originates from chat channels. The default chat channels are: Local, Trade, System, Globals, Rookie, Society, Society Seniors & Private Messages.

Custom channels can also be created using the /create command (see below). By default, custom channels are private; the creator of the channel can then invite other members to the channel. Alternatively, custom channels can be made public using the /set command (see below), which allows other participants to /join a public custom channel.

The communications from channels are displayed in chat tabs. There are two default tabs, Main and System, which cannot be removed from the main chat window and have some restrictions on channel management. Custom chat tabs can be created by right-clicking on an existing chat tab and clicking the ‘New Tab’ option. The right-click context menu also offers other tab customization options, such as setting the fade, color and channel settings of a tab. A chat window can have a maximum of 10 chat tabs. Additional chat windows can be created by dragging a custom chat tab’s header outside of the main chat window. Detached custom tabs can then be grouped together in a new chat window.

Other Features

New messages in unfocused chat tabs display an indicator when the tab contain unviewed messages.
Links, avatar names, channels and items can be copied to the clipboard via the right-click context menu.
All links have a set of options accessible through the right-click context menu.
You now have a permanent ignore list. Use the right-click context menu or the /ignore command to ignore a player. View your ignore list with the /ignorelist command.
The TAB key can be used to auto-complete avatar names in commands.
The TAB key can be used to switch channels when the input field for a chat tab is in focus.
A voice quick bar is available for options, mute and mic.
Commands:

Privacy Status Commands

/afk - Sets privacy status to AFK (Away From Keyboard).
/dnd - Sets privacy status to DND (Do Not Disturb).
/invisible - Sets privacy status to invisible mode.
/online - Sets privacy status to online.
Channel Input Commands

/custom - Change the current input channel to an existing custom channel.
/local - Change the current input channel to the Local default channel.
/officers - Change the current input channel to the Society Seniors default channel.
/rookie - Change the current input to the Rookie default channel.
/society - Change the current input to the Society default channel.
/team - Change the current input to the current Team channel.
/trade - Change the current input to the Trade default channel.
Channel Management Commands

/create (or /c) - Create a new custom channel. Channel names must start with a "#" symbol and may not contain spaces.
/deop - Remove channel operator status from a channel member.
/invite (or /i) - Invite a player to a custom channel.
/join (or /j) - Join a public custom channel
/kick (or /k) - Kick someone out of a private custom channel.
/leave (or /l) - Leave a custom channel.
/listchannels - Lists channels with names containing
/listmembers - Lists all members of a custom channel.
/listmuted - Lists all muted members of a private custom channel.
/mute (or /m) - Mute a member of a private custom channel.
/op - Grant channel operator status to a channel member.
/set (or /s) or - Sets a custom channel privacy status to public or private.
/unmute (or /um) - unmutes a muted member of a private custom channel.
/unmuteall - Unmutes all muted members of a private custom channel.
Contact Management Commands

/ignore - Ignores an avatar. All further chat communication from an ignored avatar will be blocked.
/listignored - List all ignored avatars.
/return (or /r) - Reply to the latest received private whisper.
/unignore - Remove ignore status from an avatar.
/whisper (or /w) - Send a private whisper to someone.
Miscellaneous Commands

/emote (or /em) - Perform the specified emote. use /emote ? for the available emotes.
/help (or /?) - View help on a specific command. If a command name is not specified, a list of available commands is displayed.
/pos (or /p) - Create a position link with your current coordinates in the text input field.

Last edited:
I always have the planet trade channels (calytrade / arktrade / etc) open for whichever planet I am in currently.

And I have sold and bought things from others advertising in those trade channels.

And yes, I also monitor the local #trade as well.

i have all my trading channels in one tab and the problem is you get annoying traders who post 3-4 posts every 5 minutes on multiple planet chats.

think my ignore list is mainly traders and mothership owners/advertisers

i have all my trading channels in one tab and the problem is you get annoying traders who post 3-4 posts every 5 minutes on multiple planet chats.

A few years back blast did approach me about trying out a spam bot which I kindly declined... So bots for chat are in game and have been a few years sadly

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I was considering using these channels for trading. How often do you think I should post in these channels? e.g. is every ten mins acceptable?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I was considering using these channels for trading. How often do you think I should post in these channels? e.g. is every ten mins acceptable?

i'd post every ten or so is fine, even less if the trade channel is moving quickly. you don't notice much issue while on caly, but the less active planets ark included you can get the one player been the only poster still posting every 5 mins

Yes to both questions. Frequency of success is extremely sparse though. More often than anything decent I get a snarky offer to buy it for tt. To which I reply, if I have to sell for tt then I sell to tt. To which they reply why I have no regard for the poor orphans. Upon which my ignore list grows. And that's it then for a long time again. As a sales tool it is nigh useless, unless you enjoy hunting for 30 minutes and then spend a whole week spamming 24/7 to capture the moment someone interested in your stuff might show up. That's why we actually have auctions, but their entry hurdle is prohibitive by design. Go figure.

I vast majority of all the items I buy or sell in game is done via trade channels.
However I am not normally in a great rush to sell otherwise I use the Auction.

Also I tend to use Advertisers to find a buyer for me. Helps EU Eco a little. :D

-Avalon

Exactly this. And Russians trying to sell stuff for 6x avg mu.

Back