Can a Russian speaker help me out? :P

Raine

Provider
Society
cK Coat Killers
Alexia Raine Ashton
I've had this sealed bottle of vodka for years, I got it from a friends' mother who was moving and didn't know where it came from. The only English on the bottle is "Wild Nature". I've searched Google and can't find out anything about it. Do I have a surprise expensive treasure or is it just a cheap crappy brand? :p

vodka.jpg

If you lucky it's a vodka if not it's what they call "moonshine".
The title, A BEAR'S CHARCOAL with the "traditional Siberian recipe" in the smaller print below... seems to fit equally well for both versions lol.

I've been to Siberia and had the homemade moonshine that was filtered using the charcoal from the military grade gas masks. I prepared myself for a terrible taste and expected to lose half my eyesight but it had exceptionally pure taste. We drank a lot of that stuff that night and there wasn't even a trace of hangover the next morning. So, u never know, when Russians and vodka meet, anything's possible... :smoke:

Sounds like Siberian moonshine to me :) Have to say, I've never had a hangover from vodka. Liver damage perhaps, but no hangover :D

Last edited:
Don't be a pussy Raine, open it and try some.

'bear(s) corner' is a Russian idiom akin to English 'middle of nowhere' or 'back of beyond'. Well, exploiting literal meanings of idioms is an old marketing trick. :)

Also, 'traditional Siberian recipe' involves cinnamon and orange oil. Whodathunk. (Well, trade with China sort of became possible with treaty of Kiakhta in 1727, so it's, well, possible.)

You can drink, but not all at once, the worst thing that can happen - you'll go blind for a while:cool:

You can drink, but not all at once, the worst thing that can happen - you'll go blind for a while:cool:

But that's the Russian way, right? Drink moonshine (ethanol+methanol) 'til you go blind, then drink proper vodka (ethanol) to get the vision back.

But that's the Russian way, right? Drink moonshine (ethanol+methanol) 'til you go blind, then drink proper vodka (ethanol) to get the vision back.

No, its myth, no one dont wanna die, but happend when ppls try to buy cheap alcohol not in the store.

Properly distilled spirits will always have the first portion discarded because the methanol is the first part to be distilled, as it has a slightly lower boiling point than ethanol. Regardless of the price or type of spirits, properly prepared spirits should have little to no methanol.

Yeah, sry, didn't realize it's actually an idiom. "Backwoods" is prolly the best translation (thanx Svarog!)

I'm not a native speaker (both for Russian and English) and it shows. Knowledge of idioms always gives you away...

Anyway, we've established by now it's not a rat poison and will leave you only partially blind. In other words, the contents will perform as expected, go ahead. Prosit petroleum! :wtg:

Last edited:
Can't crack dat cipher.

Last edited:
Translates to "Bears Corner".

References: I live with Russians

Back