New computer recommendations

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
Could anyone recommend a new computer/item?

Here is what I would like to use it for:
* Running EU [Essential]
* Portable (ideally fits into a pocket but small laptop as second choice will do) [Essential]
* To be able to dock and use with keyboard and mouse (if tablet) [Essential]
* Notifications (ideally should have notifications e.g. as in smartphones/tablets where you get notifications for things like email. Instant email notifications is a must for my needs. [Essential]
* Built in wi-fi [Essential]
* Able to use for developing software especially android apps e.g. runs Kotlin, android studio, [Essential] visual basic [desirable]
* Able to run android apps [desirable]
* Good specs so that will last for few years without need to upgrade. EU in game performance not relevant for my needs [desirable]
* comes with latest windows release and able to use same windows to install on my existing desktop pc? [semi desirable]

Any recommendations, specs, advice etc welcome.

Could anyone recommend a new computer/item?

Here is what I would like to use it for:
* Running EU [Essential]
* Portable (ideally fits into a pocket but small laptop as second choice will do) [Essential]
* To be able to dock and use with keyboard and mouse (if tablet) [Essential]
* Notifications (ideally should have notifications e.g. as in smartphones/tablets where you get notifications for things like email. Instant email notifications is a must for my needs. [Essential]
* Built in wi-fi [Essential]
* Able to use for developing software especially android apps e.g. runs Kotlin, android studio, [Essential] visual basic [desirable]
* Able to run android apps [desirable]
* Good specs so that will last for few years without need to upgrade. EU in game performance not relevant for my needs [desirable]
* comes with latest windows release and able to use same windows to install on my existing desktop pc? [semi desirable]

Any recommendations, specs, advice etc welcome.

some of these don't go well together imo:

portable and useful for programming - portables won't handle VS very well and small screens sucks for it
run windows and android - you can run an android environment inside windows maybe

only thing I can think of is some kind if MS surface thingy... like surface book i7... but on a swedish site the price is 4000euros and despite having a decent GPU (gtx 965m) it's obsolete compared to a "real" computer

I would just wait (if possible) for black friday and get an asus ROG with a gtx 1060 (about 1.5K euros in sweden),
specs will last you fairly well until the laptop breaks basically

Last edited:
Am currently on a rebranded Clevo P650HP6G (branded as Aftershock, from Singapore) system which can run VS / Unity / VM / other development stuff.

Oh yeah, EU as well. It's 15 inch, 4K screen, can hold 2x ssd + 1 x regular drive, 1060 GTX, currently 24 GB DDR4, but it can use up to 32GB (or was it 64, forgot, lol).

I also have an external LG 4k screen / logitech gaming keyboad & mouse when am home and I want to dual screen / run on bigger external.

It's very lightweight and portable system. Maybe something like that is suitable for you?

What you are looking for a is called a "2 in 1", like the Surface Pro or the Samsung Galaxy Book.

The Surface Pro is more powerful, packs a core i7 with integrated graphics (the Iris Plus) which should be more than capable of running entropia universe at basic settings.

That's the best I can do, some of your requirements undermine eachother.

If I was in your shoes I would just buy a regular (small) tablet and a slim laptop with dedicated GPU.

That said, programming will be hell. I say this from experience.

Good luck.

I use this Dell 2 in 1,works well plugged into external monitor for myself, also they have larger screen versions, the hd 620 onboard graphics is quite good for a small Laptop.I have 16 GB of ram with a cheap upgrade i did and the Intel i5 7200U cpu is pretty good, runs on around 35 watts saving me on electricity.

Dell Inspiron 13 5000 Series Convertible Laptop, Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 13.3"

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-insp...VgwrTCh1I1A3vEAkYAyABEgKgtfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Back