Info: How to livestream games like the pros with OBS

Mac

Marauder
Mannanan Mac y Lir
I saw this article, and wondered if anyone is using this for their Twitch streaming.

I don't know jack about streaming, but have enjoyed popping into a few streams now and then out of curiosity to see what they were up to and its got me more interested. I noticed some streams are more customized than others. Since I have not done it myself, I just assumed it was something Twitch provided, I didn't realize there were separate apps that people were using, but it makes sense now that I think of it. I know 5$ is constantly tweaking his, I just assumed it was something he made up.

It would be interesting to see a streaming talk section on the forum here where people discuss it more. I am not sure I am interested in streaming myself, but I am interested in the technology and other info/metrics around what people get for donations and subscribers and that kind of stuff. It seems like a growing area of interest.

I click around randomly in Twitch on different games and was pretty shocked at the amounts of money people are getting in donations.. That could fund someones game play here, maybe it is, I just didn't realize it.

How to livestream games like the pros with OBS

The tool used by many of Twitch's most popular streamers is completely free and open source.

OBS Studio (formerly Open Broadcaster Software) is now available in version 19.0.3, with installer downloads available for Mac and Windows, and repositories available for a variety of Linux flavors. The free, open source software for video recording and live streaming lets users record multiple sources simultaneously, including webcams, the desktop, and even individual windows. OBS Studio combines the sources and streams the output to services such as Twitch.tv and Facebook Live.

OBS Studio is one of the most popular tools for streaming to Twitch.tv. At any given time, nearly 1-million people are watching live, and thousands are streaming. Most users stream video games. Chantal "Sylvanas" Frey, a streamer from Germany, streams to Twitch.tv four or five times a week, usually playing the game Overwatch.

OBS Studio is developed by a small team working in the open. Most of the code has been written by jp9000/Jim, but several other developers also have made serious contributions to the project. OBS Studio's main website has many active forums in which users post plugins that they have created, resulting in a rich plugin ecosystem.

The project has two active IRC channels: #obsproject for user chat and support and #obs-dev for developer chatter. Users can click Community Chat on the website and be taken via a web bridge to QuakeNet, where a group of helpful support volunteers answer questions and help users solve their issues.

Caroline "omgvandi" Vani is a freelance graphic designer and streamer on Twitch. As part of her graphic design business, she designs graphics and overlays for streamers. Streamers use OBS Studio, combined with static graphics and animated browser sources, to create eye-catching streams.

Omgvandi says that most OBS Studio scenes are constructed from a few basic sources:

Webcam video source: "Some people have a green screen. Most have the straight camera box, and the best have a real-life background that fits the style of the stream," she says.

Game capture: OBS Studio can capture full-screen games, windowed games, or the raw desktop.

A browser source that displays new followers, new donations, and subscriptions. Browser sources are dynamic web content rendered onto the stream.

Static or animated graphics to provide borders and branding: "My job as a graphic designer is to ... create the visuals that go into browser sources, or to create a static PNG overlay that goes on top. Static PNG overlays are pretty standard for people [who] don't have a ton of money to spend on custom designs. They look really good, they're clean; most of them can be nice and simple," omgvandi says.

Note the box around her webcam and Twitter and Instagram tags. The border and social boxes (overlay assets) are created separately using graphics editing software. OBS Studio is then used to layer the game, followed by the webcam source, and finally the overlay assets.

OBS Studio has a huge and engaged user base, especially when you consider the size of its development team—one main developer and a few volunteers, none of whom are paid for their work. Its official Twitter account has more than 95,000 followers.

When the DD-WRT Linux-based firmware for wireless routers first came out, one of its lines was "Turn your $50 router into a $5,000 router." The explanation was that this piece of software offered features that were otherwise available only in expensive professional devices. That is essentially what OBS Studio does: It gives streamers control over their broadcasts that until now hasn't been seen outside a professional TV network or sports broadcast.

Wrapping up

OBS Studio is technically solid, and what users can do with it is flat-out impressive. In this age of corporations supporting professional developers on projects such as OpenStack, Docker, and Kubernetes, seeing a small, self-sustaining, and successful free and open source project—not to mention a desktop app project like OBS Studio—is exciting.

Even more impressive is the project's large user base, including many users who don't use it based on the license. I asked Sylvanas, "Did you know OBS Studio is open source? What does that mean to you?"

"Never thought about it," she replied.

https://opensource.com/article/17/7/obs-studio-pro-level-streaming

I personally like youtube more than twitch since it is better at archiving stuff imho, but others like twitch more, so it's all whatever floats your boat.

Open broadcaster is a lot better than the alternatives (since it's free, but also because it's open) that used to exist that were paid only apps like fraps or bandicam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac
On Mac's request I as well sent a note to Serica and happy to say we now have a Streams section on the forum! Thank you 711!

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?232-Streams-Tools-amp-Utilities

I have sent in yet one more request to make this a subjection. At the end happy to say Mac's idea is coming to life!

Right on OZtwo :thumbup: I am interested, let's see how it goes! Maybe it will motivate me to upgrade my old workhorse pc and give streaming a try :laugh:

Right on OZtwo :thumbup: I am interested, let's see how it goes! Maybe it will motivate me to upgrade my old workhorse pc and give streaming a try :laugh:

It's fun. The only reason I stopped streaming myself was that Twitch started muting any streams with music and I got kind of pissed off that I no longer really could upload my 50ped Globals to youtube. :(

(note to MA: as well, never really wanted to upload my 10ped globals and the fun of getting those 50ped globals off low level mobs killed the fun as well -- the thrill of getting a 50ped global every year is what kept me going.)

Last edited:
Twitch help

So i tried to livestream for the first time yesterday and the quality was shite, is there prefered settings for entropia?
I played around and followed some jewtube tutorials without luck. Using OBS

Setup:
PC Asus gr8 II, GeForce GTX1060 6GB, Core i5-7400, 16GB RAM.
Monitor, LG ultra wide 34" 2560 x 1080.
Internet, 150/10 mbit.

Back