Do you use Facebook?

• Total voters
Status

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
Curious on how many of us use facebook. Your welcome to discuss reasons for using and not using facebook.

Also please note I'm not asking anyone to post their facebook details. This is a named poll because I was thinking results may be more accurate that way.

I think it's useful to keep in touch with friends.

But i think it's :
- a loss of time, i could shoot more in EU :laugh:
- a way to clear your IRL friends list ;) this way, i keep in touch only with really good friends who matters and do not need an alarm to remember my birthday
- easy to keep away from a lot of flood about different topics (specially politics)

And when it's needed for a party or to organize some stuff... i always have someone checking FB for me, because they all know i am the only one who do not have an account !

Cheers,

Thorias.

PS : Nice to see something else than % return poll xD
Edit : Obviously i voted "No"

I have fb for my avatar to follow MA's updates :). Never had real accounts in social networks.

Yes I have it, and check a couple of times/week :)

No, dont use facebook.
Total waste of time.

I use linkedin for my business network and simply use whatsapp to keep in touch with my friends.

Yes, I do. No, I don't connect it to EU. Eventually at some point, if it gains some momentum, my ava will get its own facebook page, but that's about it.

Facewhat?

I can't be arsed...

I have one, but barely use it

Trying to avoid it like the plague these days.

I do pop in now and then.

Rick

I use russian clone of it called VK, but mostly ppl here have acounts in both SNs.

fakebook sucks and i don't like it. only use it whenever i need to login to check something, or contact a few friends.

i don't like their policies, their censoring and prefiltering, and got deleted twice already, for not being a "real person". well, FU FB! ;)

voted no

fakebook sucks and i don't like it. only use it whenever i need to login to check something, or contact a few friends.

i don't like their policies, their censoring and prefiltering, and got deleted twice already, for not being a "real person". well, FU FB! ;)

voted no

facebook hates personal security ...tried setting up an account with a routered email, 2 vpns, on a virtual machine running tor once....wasn't possible ;D
(EDIT: might have been possible but required you to send your passport there or something I can't remember)

I do use it, originally got it to keep in touch with friends I met traveling but now I use it mostly for the science channels and messanger(which now supports encrypted messages)

I've got a facebook account but one's for work and one is for my avatar to store mobile game data but I don't really use either, they're just place holders.

Same goes for my Twitter - started that because of the EU integration and left it to idle for a quite a while after it got broken in an api update that MA has never bothered to fix. (Although having just logged into it I find that one of my favourite authors has a new book out soon so there might some use for this social media malarkey ;) )

Last edited:
I had maybe 3 or 4 throw away FB accounts, just to check something. No idea how many, since I pretty much forget those accounts once I am done with using it to check on whatever I want.

In terms of an FB account which I use, filled with my personal details, connected with my friends? Nope.

lol.

Voted: No.

Mass personal information collection system.

Footballers, most sports people tbh, will always have that problem as burglars are told months in advance when they'll likely be away from home.

Searching for my name online has found stuff I posted in news groups over 20 years ago that have been converted into blogs so now I take posting any details a little more seriously.

I have to admit I've become a little paranoid and had the odd weird look when I tell people I don't like my personal info being on the net and that I try to keep my electronic foot print as small as possible. I was asked to send a scan of my passport to show proof of ID for a pension scheme they suggested by email - I suggested a photocopy by post after I'd written on top to say to who and why I was sending it, I even went as far as asking for it to be returned - which they didn't :(

I only enter my data into systems that involve financial transactions and even then I try to avoid it as much as possible.

Once something is online it will probably always be online. And with the way governments are now storing info on all of our communications or allowing isp's to harvest data (in the case of the US) we've no idea where or when it will reappear.

Not sure if everyone will see this video but in the UK we've been getting a series of these.

Mass personal information collection system.

This isn't limited to social media. Apparently anything and everything you do on a computer these days is likely to be collected and possibly harnessed or utilised. From google searches, emails, photos etc Even words that you type but then delete and are not saved in document can be collected!

I think it's useful to keep in touch with friends.

But i think it's :
- a loss of time, i could shoot more in EU :laugh:

yes thats right!!! :yay::yay:

This isn't limited to social media. Apparently anything and everything you do on a computer these days is likely to be collected and possibly harnessed or utilised. From google searches, emails, photos etc Even words that you type but then delete and are not saved in document can be collected!

With Windows 10, you better believe it.

With Windows 10, you better believe it.

Try android, the data collected there is pretty incredible, since moving to android I'm quite surprised on the data collected, the location mapping with times I spent somewhere and the route I took.

It's a necessary evil, fabulous advertising platform for business and for finding local services. Just have to keep ones head out of the drama, and stick to generic updates.

No, dont use facebook.
Total waste of time.

I use linkedin for my business network and simply use whatsapp to keep in touch with my friends.
Of course Linkedin is a great platform for business purposes but I don't think you know that WhatsApp has also launched a business application.

Just so you know - WhatsApp is owned by facebook.

Status
Back