What would happen if there was a server wipe?

dabrixmgp

Old
Yeah I know it will never happen but lets have some fun for a minute. Lets say MA hit the reset switch and wiped away everything. Basically back to how it was on Day 1. What would happen once the game came back online? Would loot be just as awesome as it was back then or would it still be all shrapnel? Would a lot of people quit? Would more people start playing or return because of a fresh start?

Yeah I know it will never happen...

No you don't, and if there wasn't a shred of doubt this post wouldn't exist. Yet it raises an interesting question, how much we really depend on this digital life. And would you start over if everything you put in so far was destroyed? Whom do you entrust your life for shorter or for longer time, the pilot of an airplane you take, the guardians of a piece of infrastructure which holds part of your identity? I think, whether I wanted to continue or not, I would at least be stymied, having the wind taken out of my sails. Reminding yourself constantly it is "just a game", you arrive at wondering how RL is different from that as you pass your time. Yeah, without procreation there wouldn't be any virtual life as well. Anyone remember the stories about what happened after a certain power outage in New York? That was 1930...

http://www.ecology.com/2014/05/01/earths-greatest-threat-cmes/ is only one possible scenario. Another is human nature -- certain people think what you do displeases their god and would take it from you if they came into power. Don't let it happen.

Last edited:
Lets say MA hit the reset switch and wiped away everything. Basically back to how it was on Day 1. What would happen once the game came back online? Would loot be just as awesome as it was back then or would it still be all shrapnel? Would a lot of people quit? Would more people start playing or return because of a fresh start?

Depends what you mean by server wipe. Your talking about very different things in your post, for example if you go back to day 1 that would be over a decade ago around 2002 and shrapnel would not exist.

If your talking about a server restart. Well that's sort of common during updates.

Also MA don't look after the servers. That was outsourced years ago. So servers may still be outsourced and looked after by a different company. Most companies have a contingency plan and back up data regularly, so if there was a mishap it would be limited to the time period between the last backup.

Apart from server mishaps, what seems to be more common and likely is some deliberate change in the game that wipes away what you have in the game.

Depends what you mean by server wipe. Your talking about very different things in your post, for example if you go back to day 1 that would be over a decade ago around 2002 and shrapnel would not exist.

If your talking about a server restart. Well that's sort of common during updates.

Also MA don't look after the servers. That was outsourced years ago. So servers may still be outsourced and looked after by a different company. Most companies have a contingency plan and back up data regularly, so if there was a mishap it would be limited to the time period between the last backup.

Apart from server mishaps, what seems to be more common and likely is some deliberate change in the game that wipes away what you have in the game.

i think he implies full server wipe but restarting under current ruleset.

I'm pretty confident with MA, that our items and skill records are pretty secure. Even if there's errors in game, like the bug at Medusa head where skills didn't get recorded after logging out(that's been sorted).

I've often considered the longevity of the game though. The reason it can go on as long as MA wants it too, is MA can simply (and do) change the rules. If they wanted too, they could make it completely free to play, or so expensive no one will play it. They can change their digital world to how ever they please, to keep players active.

Anyway the game is in it's cashcow phase, I can't see MA turning off the servers. At the worst case they would stop all development and let it run until the deposits stopped.

There's more chance MA bring out another game. They've got a taste for it now with Compet, and assuming that is a success (give it another year of development), then they may consider an App type mini-EU for tablets and phones.

The world is their oyster to be honest.

Rick

Yeah I know it will never happen but lets have some fun for a minute. Lets say MA hit the reset switch and wiped away everything. Basically back to how it was on Day 1. What would happen once the game came back online? Would loot be just as awesome as it was back then or would it still be all shrapnel? Would a lot of people quit? Would more people start playing or return because of a fresh start?

There would be no day one by what you are saying because everything is gone.

The forum would be full of people bitching ;) Most would probably walk away or think about legal action.

If it was accidental then they'd restore the last backup and then process the backup of hourly transaction log files against it (assuming sql server) to get it back to as close to the disaster point as possible.

i think he implies full server wipe but restarting under current ruleset.

yeah pretty much this. we would still have the current in game map and all the LAs and Malls and stuff like that. Just we would all be n00bs again with what ever you get after the tutorial. I just think I would be fun to start over. Obviously if you own the best LAs and gear it proly wouldnt be much fun. But I think a game like this could use a reset once every 10 years.

yeah pretty much this. we would still have the current in game map and all the LAs and Malls and stuff like that. Just we would all be n00bs again with what ever you get after the tutorial. I just think I would be fun to start over. Obviously if you own the best LAs and gear it proly wouldnt be much fun. But I think a game like this could use a reset once every 10 years.

seems to me you just a low lvled avatar so you can restart yourself np just ask MA
but for ppl that have good gear and high skills sure

If ma gives me back my depo vs my withdrawals I would love a new start

backup?
maybe?

i can't see it working, they would need to return ped, but if its TT only then deed owners and uber gun owners would be screwed. it works on other games are money is on the side, but EU money is everything

The only reset in a way that could be accepted is a new game+ where a avatar can reset his own skills to 1, get non tradeable ped for skills and a permanent buff depending on skills sacificed.

If you want to restart you can ask MA to delete your avatar. Then you can start over again with a new avatar.

I doubt most people would be interested in starting over as they have investment time, effort and money into developing their avatar, gear etc and loosing it all to start over is the last thing they would want to do.

In short anyone who wants to start over the option is there for them. Ask MA to delete their avatar. Why impose this on everyone? I can't see this benefiting the game in anyway. It's more like a suicidal or destructive move

But I think a game like this could use a reset once every 10 years.

Playing such a game would be like renovating a house marked for scrapping.

Yes, most other games don't even last 10 years, but that's why the only game I play is the one I expect to outlast me.

Back