What type of weapon would you suggest to a new player ?

What weapon would you suggest to a new player ?

• Ranged

Votes: 40 63.5%
  • Melee

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Mind force chip

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Support

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RU talking about whips ? That is the only one I can think of off hand.

Rattlesnake: 10 m (both plain and ME)
Cobra: 11 m (same)
Higher end VU15.2 looted swords: up to 12 m (Isis LLB 25 (L), Scott & Barlow LB-25 (L), Ozpyn Tempered Sword Mk. X (L) - they're the same and all have 11 m, lvl 30 have 12 m)
RT chainsaws: 9...12 m

I kinda like the usual advice to new players:
Go laser only till serendipity or even coolness unlock. Then switch to melee for martial arts and HP boost. After that use combination of laser/melee.
But nowadays you can't go wrong with right MF chips too.

I am just wondering why everyone is so hung up on using a weapon combination ? I know you are going to say one main weapon and a finisher. I, myself, am not coordinated to use two weapons that effectively to switch back and forth for a one shot finishing kill when some mob or mobs are attacking me. But I am sure many of you are and I am sure you are going to tell us all about your special coordination:). Usually when a statement like mine is made they come out of the wood work and are usually lvl 25-30 players who just read and don't have a clue yet but will become good players in a few years after they find out how to play and not just read.

Hmm revisiting this, sorry I worded that poorly.

The use of the term ranged gets me because it technically describe every non-melee weapon in the game but that's just being silly don't stress it. :ahh:

The auction category breakdown isn't enough to make recommendations really.

Since the Ranged category really covers 6 professions, each with pros and cons.

Likewise mindforce but it's three professions with 6 different categories of weaponry.

et cetera ...

For a new player I would probably give more specific advice like laser sniper with some reasons.
I agree.

I also notice that the dpp of TT weapons, including TT melee weapons, tends to not get noticed as much as it deserves. That's why I don't hesitate to go along with the gig when a disciple prefers melee.

Strength also increases carry capacity. I wouldn't be able to do much mining with the default 150 kg, my deadweight is about 170. :laugh:

Carry a refiner and you can cut you weight by about 90% as I recall, just refine everything and its not that expensive.

Carry a refiner and you can cut you weight by about 90% as I recall, just refine everything and its not that expensive.

I do :)
But it's not fixed 90%, the weight reduction is quite different for different materials. In mining, most times refining just postpones the weight problem for 10...15 minutes.

I would prefere Melee for Noobs, because

1.) Attributes, Defence and Paramedic skills, will go up faster than with Ranged Weapons.
2.) Unlimited Melee Weapons you can get for small costs and you save MU.

I do :)
But it's not fixed 90%, the weight reduction is quite different for different materials. In mining, most times refining just postpones the weight problem for 10...15 minutes.
I don't understand postponing the problem, do you get that much loot that refining doesn't reduce the weight enough ? If that is so then I want you to teach me to mine:).

I would prefere Melee for Noobs, because

1.) Attributes, Defence and Paramedic skills, will go up faster than with Ranged Weapons.
2.) Unlimited Melee Weapons you can get for small costs and you save MU.

Some attributes do and some don't. If you are speaking about Medical Anatomy for paramedic you get the same skill effect (20) from blp and laser damage.

Last edited:
Some attributes do and some don't but I don't see where you get paramedic skills from melee ? Unless you are saying that you have to heal more.

You Say it: if you wear Amor, or not: You have to heal more..... So you get more Paramedic skills

You Say it: if you wear Amor, or not: You have to heal more..... So you get more Paramedic skills

I did edited my post because of the Med Anatomy but I can't see that skill helping that much and if you want to have to heal more hunt bigger mobs :). Not saying melee is bad or good just would not be my suggestion.

Back