Overkill Compensation

Detritus

Sel-requested Deactivation
Detritus the Troll
For my own edification I decided to try a little experiment to see how overkill impacted loot, and if the algorithm would compensate for it. I thought I would share my findings for what they're worth.

I whacked a bunch of Arrets with my Songkra + MTVI.

Mob HP is 20. Knife does around 50-80 per swing; so quite a lot of overkill.

Total in: 227
Total out: 251 (110%)

(inb4 small sample, blah blah)

My observations:

Although it was a small run, it did clearly demonstrate that I was getting the same type of returns that I would get hunting any other mob with the same gear. The fact that it was a positive run is just coincidental.

100% of the loot was shrapnel. Not a single oil or anything else. So definitely sub-optimal loot.

The average loot per mob was about 70% of decay, which has been my observation hunting anything else.

I got a few globals in the 10-12ped range, which is close to 200x multiplier for this mob.

Also it is fun as shit to run through a dense group of mobs and one-click kill them.

Truly fascinating, thanks for sharing. Sample size imo is large enough to show this drastic change. I have seen this a few times myself as well on some accidental "whoops wrong weapon" type kills.

Really not sure what to think of all of this, need time to digest! (Good? Bad? Meh?) Either way I feel it's worthy of discussion

wow. i almost don't believe you.
thanks for putting it out

Truly fascinating, thanks for sharing. Sample size imo is large enough to show this drastic change. I have seen this a few times myself as well on some accidental "whoops wrong weapon" type kills.

Really not sure what to think of all of this, need time to digest! (Good? Bad? Meh?) Either way I feel it's worthy of discussion

Yea, I certainly don't recommend hunting this way, unless you just like farming shrapnel. My main take away is that a finisher is probably not as important as some people would believe.

Total in and total out are peds spent and looted, right ?

Interesting findings. So overkill is perhaps not really an issue anymore despite MA saying it is in clarification dialogue ;)

Total in and total out are peds spent and looted, right ?

Interesting findings. So overkill is perhaps not really an issue anymore despite MA saying it is in clarification dialogue ;)

Yes total in is full cost and total out is tt value of loot.

I could be mistaken, but I think MA was stating that you should watch overkill for optimal loot. In other words it effects the composition, not the value; which does seem to be the case.

Saw you on the ticker and thought who on earth is hunting them little ponies, not even for a mission :p

Good idea to test this anyway. I'm mostly on Atlas Island now and was wondering, should I blast through the 100 hp mobs with Batsim R1 or any uL I have and some overkill, or play it safe. Trying different outfits, eco lasers or my preferred blp/shortblade. At 10k of 15k done, still no conclusion. Returns vary too much to discern anything, only tend to be better at times when more people likely play or deposit (esp. at beginning of weekend). Any tests have to factor this in, or be done back to back at least.

Good info but the sample is way too little to really say something ...

Disagree, every single one of his loots were shrapnel.. at the very least this proves that massive overkill will affect optimal loot so heavily that you will see 100% shrapnel. This is a good foundation for further tests....

Did a test like this long before loot 2.0 with an amped slugstorm on Pilot Test Dummies and had around 90% return, with far more kills. I've posted this result here before but I don't think many believed me, it did not fit into their preconceived notions of how loot works.

I wonder if that result in terms of TT return is because of extremely high dps

(inb4 small sample, blah blah)

My observations:
Although it was a small run, it did clearly demonstrate that I was getting the same type of returns that I would get hunting any other mob with the same gear.

It's fun when people try "test" stuff and draw conclusions from it :laugh:

I'd love to see what your return would be like using a more "optimal" weapon and killing the same number of mobs. Very curious.

I have been meaning to run the test again but here's my data just after 2.0:
Code:
Date: 06/30/17 - 07/01/17
Shots	Loot	Decay	Mob
737	22.31	18.48	Loot Test: S.I. Spy-Sword
1712 	42.13	20.27	Loot Test: S.I. Spy-Blade
782	12.74	10.50	Loot Test: S.I. Combat Knife
296 	19.13	16.72	Loot Test: Castorian Combat Enblade-A
1060	23.16	17.70	Loot Test: Castorian EnKnuckles-A 
1914	29.81	36.21	Loot Test: Bukin's Blade 
1478	36.91	12.48	Loot Test: Sollomate Opalo SGA Edition 
2390	55.09	24.51	Loot Test Ozpyn Chon S1X1

Shots = total shots before weapon was broken. On guns, before A101 broke.

Note: With servers back to normal tests do need to be ran again.
Note 2: Sorry, overlooked that I didn't show the KK data..not sure why it wasn't logged. :(
Note 3 Found it but didn't record loot/decay:

Code:
Shots	Loot	Decay	Mob
482	N/A	N/A	Calypso KK Merp test

Last edited:
ive done a quick test myself and killed a few tabtabs (10 hp) with a spirit mk1 (cost roughly 15 pec per shot)
and the 10 hp tab tab that usually loot between <1 and 4 pec now drop between 4 and 18 pec on average. including the higher multiplier loot. it was not 100% shrapnel but more like 99% shrapnel and a few extractor.
i guess its a nice way to win most global events. just shoot the mob normally until its nearly dead and then overkill the living fuck out of them :D

Interesting the findings I didn't see, but it didn't occur to me to test with really drastic overkill, just with a bit more or less laziness using finishers and it stayed within the range of fluctuations so the picture wasn't as clear. Thanks for all reports, will take note.

on a side note: those mobs that had an evade tend to drop higher loot than the others. the others range from 2-18 pec +-1 pec and those with an evade tend to land somewhere between 9-25 pec (low sample size but the observation is obvious)

I disagree. If I kill a few hundred of a mob and get consistent results, I think it says a lot. But this is PCF, I could cycle a million PED and someone will still say it's too small.

I wonder if that result in terms of TT return is because of extremely high dps

Maybe. The actual returns weren't the point though. As I said, I think the fact that it was positive is purely coincidental good luck. It could have just as easily been an 80% run - which would still tell us the same story; if the returns were based on the mob's HP it should have been ~20% return. The fact that it was anything in the 80-120% range answered the question I was asking.

So the higher loots were regular multipliers, rather than bonus loot?

Yes, just regular mults. In fact I don't recall getting any bonus loot at all -- but when killing mobs that fast your loot ticker stacks up so a bit difficult to tell what went with what mob unless you were really watching it. I was mainly just keeping an eye on the averages.

Back