Help: Fix the lag

I wish the players were more a more cooperative group cos if we boycotted for even 1 day I bet MA would suddenly find time and ped to fix this crap.

This is already happening.
Not as an absolute boycot, but by playing way and way less.

This shop bug actually started after the patch on November 22nd last year , I reported it within 30 mins to one of the Ark devs.
It was fixed in a patch about 3 weeks ago , this "fix" actually lasted 2 days as the patch messed up mob hit boxes, so MA seemingly rolled back the code and shops are back as they were, in fact I would say they are actually worse.

Aye, it's especially bad on Arkadia. On Monria it's almost non-existent. On Rocktropia it's definitely present, but probably not as bad as on Ark.

In a game that involves real money its taking far too long to fix this lag issue that is specifically costing people money...

It's the only weapon we have, NO :handgun:

well, each time I think to myself to quit playing, at least for a while.
But somehow I must be so masochistic to torment myself by getting online and giving it another trying, thinking, it can stay that bad.

But as we all know, each time you think it cant go worse, it goes worse.

Too Short..

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say i haven't seen so many problems in rooms (ie shops, apartments) before. I went to my apartment to try to put back some of the items it booted to storage a while ago for being in the hall and i kept dropping enough through the floor that it would unload the room, and then take forever to get it back. It was really annoying and i can only imagine how frustrating that would be for shop owners.

Also got tired of firing the last shot at a mob, and then having it not die. And waiting. And getting hit some more. And then usually it finally died. I've experienced lots of lag in the past with EU but never such specifically and repeatedly.

ETA and let's not even get into the tagging a mob and then having it run into and through me and continue on... and knowing that eventually i'd dc and then log back in dead.

they are working on it there looking on how many log on dam there saying they are still to many loging on what could we doo let it do nothing still for a bit

this is been going on for years and they want 1 million plus to play lol

...stuff about Eve's lag...

soul-crushing.jpg

(though, admittedly, CCP's time dilation was still some of the most impressive performance initiatives I've seen in an mmo to date)

I am playing on a potato by current standards.

On medium settings i have 40ish FPS so quite often I am playing on "low" (where EU looks ALOT like old Torque PE especially the landscapes, which I love).

My net is a flying piece of dung, as is usually the case in Germany if you don't go for serious broadband. As such, my ms are all over the place, from 20 to 1400 :laugh:

However, the problem is not at me, as funny as it might sound. Lag means your sequence of actions is received and registered with delay. What happens is that the server delays the actions between them.

If I have: shoot 3 times, fap, shoot 4 times, even with lag, what should happen is to have the damage to mob and heal itself with delay (while damage by mob should happen instant because is a client-side function it seems), but the server-side processing of shoot 3 times, fap, shoot 4 times should happen with same speed I asked them. It doesn't.

If I have shoot 3 times with (say) 1 seconds inbetween, fap (for, say, 3 seconds), shoot 4 times again 1 second between each shot (at presumed 60 apm), what will actually happen ingame will be shoot 3 or maybe 4 times with distance between them of fuck knows what, 1 to 3 seconds, fap for7 seconds while reloading only once and item is stuck and busy, shoot 4 times with, again, whatever interval between them.

The only place where MY connection plays a decissive role is the auction. But then, once loaded, it should go smoothly. It doesn't. Whatever the server used to calculate instantly on auction for years, it doesn't anymore. Distribution of acution fees maybe? No idea.

And I know what all this is coming from and I am very suprised MA doesn't. And I know precisely becaue I am playing and always played on a potato (at home I was on a nvidia 6600 for years).

All this started with reload buffs, back in 2013 or 14 when they were added. And because I have a potato, is sensible and I can see what and when affects.

I love to play with extremely fast guns, such as PLP 27, 85 attacks per minute. When I started iron on wombana, it was fine. The minute I started to use Ares (L), (of which PLP 27 gains, I think, 1 or 2 apm), the botch became visible. In first stages, the server couldn't cope with the extra shots and were simply not executed. Then they botched again and it was gaining too much. Then something done to regulate this, but the primary botch remained. To this day, since introduction of buffs, a weapon at 70+ attacks/min, will cough at least 1 time each 2-3 minutes, regulating, I would guess, the fractions from low% buff to high apm.

Nowadays the cause is simple. Armour decay, fap cost, missed shots and so on are factored in real-time, both to increase the short term ROI and to build real-time the bonus pool, which gives the second set of shrapnel.

Is obvious and I am not some techie genius.

MA, please redesign this. While the intention is good and I honestly appreciate it, your servers cannot carry it. And I doubt there are too many server parks in the world to carry it, as is designed.

For mining, I am clueless, because nothing changed much in terms of buffs, only reload on excavators but at 20-30 rpm shouldn't be a problem. I would guess both mining and hunting are part of same thread and simply hunting is eating away computational resources. Same for crafting which has 0 effects from buffs.

May I suggest a couple of things:

- temporary remove the bonus shrapnel mechanism, revert to the old status of a direct cut for you without redistribution, but just lower the threshold. So you won't have anymore personal armour and healing accounted for, because is killing the bloody game. Every f*er in a pixie with 20 punies on his ass is calculated for 5 mins as much as someone hunting spiders for 20 mins maybe.

- rework from the ground up the buff mechanism and pay more attention to bloody fractions and their interaction with your core mechanism // maybe replace buffs with a sort of a mission/ adjusting item mechanism which creates a new state of the item instead of an attachement which can be moved left and right from a 20apm weapon to a 80 apm weapon - I don't mean phyisically to change the rings, I mean as programming aspect. So the calculation happens once when the item is defined and not at each action

- if need be, wipe out parts of the game which needlessly pressure the database. Old items, old blueprints, old resources, anything which has 0 point nowadays ingame but is still there in the database taking up vital space.

- get together with planet partners and rework the balance of resources and blueprints, such as all of them to use a generic set of ores, enmatters and looted stackables, with only a handful, literally, planet-specific, so to keep planet-specific lore. You don't need finders and excavators specific for Cyrene, Toulan, RT and Ark, seriously. Neither 40 potential type of mining amps when only like 6-7 of them are used.

- do something with the graphic loading, I have been to bloody Celeste on Ark, respectively Omegation about a bazillion time, why does the computer need to redraw them each damn time?

A sign that you are reading this thread and you are aware of our concerns would be great.

P.S.: A good sign I am right is that at the times when there is not much activity, the "lag" vanishes. Because is not damn lag, is clutter.

Last edited:
Kerham - I can't see it being buffs, as even pre-buff items were available with extreme APMs (Imp7 = 100APM). I also can't see how it is directly related to Loot 2.0 as it wasn't happening when the update was first released.

Also, the laptop isn't that bad to run what is effectively a game from 2009. Here's a worse setup running CSGO at 60fps on fairly high settings (FXAA, motion blur, 720p) (apologies for the russian):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLU5ulaOaN8

Kerham - I can't see it being buffs, as even pre-buff items were available with extreme APMs (Imp7 = 100APM). I also can't see how it is directly related to Loot 2.0 as it wasn't happening when the update was first released.

1. for buffs - I must apology, it means I didn't put it clear. I am trying to think at how the logistic would work behind: so you have an item which already exists in the database, nomatter how fast it is. The server doesn't need to calculate anything in this case, the item exists already as it is, just the damage (for nonsib) and reload/damage (for sib unmaxed) versus avatar's skills. But both the skills and the item preexist in database. The calculation is done by a formula which is in the core alghorytm (how the f* is this spelled anyway).

But buffs are a dynamic process which comes over these database entries and doesn't have its own place in database. You don't have "imk2+CR2016" in database for the server to call it at each shot. It would be inconvenient to create new entries for each possible combination item+buff, in effect it might generate even more clutter than now. So what you have is the server checking at each shot for buffs and calculating the reload and damage output until next shot, when it checks again for buffs.

To better represent it, think at enhancers: first of all by being tiered up, the item has one stage set static, the tier, it doesn't need to check it other than the subtier tick itself (0,x to 0,9). Then, when you load and reload an enhancer, you have a small timer in which the item and enhancer are blocked. Then the item changes effectively, it has new stats which are registered somewhere, being visible in the item window. So the calculation is done once when enhancing and then the server keep calling from that place. It only checks then for enhancer chance of break, which I would guess is a different thread.

With buffs, these are states of the avatar. Nothing stops you from equipping an ares and switching between 157 weapons (save for availability and peds stuck) and the server must check every item used by that avatar, with that buff, at each shot. Because there is no set entry as is the case with enhancing.

I am 150% sure buffs, more specifically ares ones (and to some lesser extent, per mob hit, athenic) are at the origin of this. Now think you can also have the combinations with EST and pills. At least pills have a set timer, so somehow it should reduce a bit the server effort.

2. For 2.0 it wasn't happening at release because as per MA's words 2.0 wasn't deployed all at once. It was only after the migration ended, when armour and healing changes came in full effect. I would guess first stage was just the bonus pool from missed shots, for the extra shrapnel. Also in first week, loot was overwhelmingly composed of shrapnel so efficiency calculation itself wasn't in effect much.

The problem came to be at this extent because pre 2.0, while we did had buffs, the defensive costs were just basically ignored because you had either (L) direct decay, either repair terminal for easy control of the flow. Now there is a second "cost center", where these come into play into returns, more precisely on very short term.

Finally, arguably the whole 2.0 concept itself brought extra clutter, because there is a difference between;

1. accounting real-time for costs and adjusting that toward a certain statistic target (say 98,5%)
and
2. letting all this accounting on avatar's owner brains and just generate loot multipliers @ set 3 dpp (let's say this was the value, is less relevant).

Of course I might be off by some margin, I am not a wizard, but I am 150% sure I am dead on the money with all these points.

As such, I would suggest to change the buffs of the rings/armor/pets (these which work dynamic and per shot or per hit: reload, crit, focus and defensive) to be transformed in abilities of the avatar, available as long as the ring is equipped and the actual aplication to the item to be similar to enhancing: to select an item and apply a certain buff which to have the effects visible and registered somewhere. For duration of buff, item should be non-tradeable. And other exploit-checks which should be thought. Such as, the server would have a set-in state of the item which to call, instead of permanent check.

As for armour and fap costs, I would suggest to simply revert it to previous system but lower MA's cut.

The game at this moment of time is unplayable due to some kind of "lag"...

100% not fixed. ~6 weeks and counting.

Never thought I could be this close to leaving the game.

game run for me :scratch2:
:dunno:

entropia_2017-10-12_23.05.37.jpg

i'm not in 2.0 :guide:
i'm far away for take loot :broke::laugh:

Last edited:
2. For 2.0 it wasn't happening at release because as per MA's words 2.0 wasn't deployed all at once. It was only after the migration ended, when armour and healing changes came in full effect. I would guess first stage was just the bonus pool from missed shots, for the extra shrapnel. Also in first week, loot was overwhelmingly composed of shrapnel so efficiency calculation itself wasn't in effect much.

This is absolutely not true, in that I tested full Vain directly after 2.0 implementation and I could see significant improvements in armour payback.

Something has changed as of 6 weeks ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with the server or internet connection EU is hosted from. Would explain why MA haven't issued a "We're fixing it!" statement, as they know they can't fix it.

Ok, who is using MA's servers to mine bitcoins...

Maybe MA figured out its more profitable to mine bitcoins that run the game?

Maybe some employee decided to mine bitcoins on the companies servers in order to give his salary a boost?

Maybe some PE player has figured out they can get more MU mining bitcoins on MA's servers than playing the game?

Ok, who is using MA's servers to mine bitcoins...

Maybe MA figured out its more profitable to mine bitcoins that run the game?

Maybe some employee decided to mine bitcoins on the companies servers in order to give his salary a boost?

Maybe some PE player has figured out they can get more MU mining bitcoins on MA's servers than playing the game?

VR Bitcoin mining ;) Where do you think those billion "jobs" Pleasedie announced were coming from? :yay:

Reactions: Mac
I'd like to see the new VU soon.

It will probably fix the lag issue too.

Bring it on! :)

NOT FIXED

Approaching 2 months without acknowledging a massive problem.

World record for incompetence.

I've gotten an inactivity email... They still want me to log in with all the lag :laugh:

If it was any normal mmo? Sure I might soldier through a little at least...

MA might be trying to work out how to provide an enhanced gaming experience that you can pay for. So, what we used to think was normal play, will be the enhanced play, normal play will now be the current lag fest. If you want normal play, you will have to buy enhanced play experience :laugh:

to be fair, the game was always laggy during crowded hours or in crowded areas. after the VU it was very laggy nearly all the time but right now it is for me like it has always been. some lags here and there but no constant disconnects anymore and no more perma lagging with 3 second delays or more.

I haven't really experienced any big lagg at all during all the time of people complaining, a few 5 second stutters once or twice a day, but nothing except that, so it might not be as easy of a fix as you might think.
I have multiple videos of me hunting for hours without any lagg at all (on my stream) during the past 2 months.
:cool:

Maybe it's a combined problem with your own connection and servers?

I also know that multiple people have had the same experience as myself.

If it's Calypso only that still has these problems, why don't y'all just go elsewhere? I'm on NI now. The lag was here, too (and certainly not caused by overcrowding), but seems gone since that longer maintainance break.

to be fair, the game was always laggy during crowded hours or in crowded areas. after the VU it was very laggy nearly all the time but right now it is for me like it has always been. some lags here and there but no constant disconnects anymore and no more perma lagging with 3 second delays or more.

If it's Calypso only that still has these problems, why don't y'all just go elsewhere? I'm on NI now. The lag was here, too (and certainly not caused by overcrowding), but seems gone since that longer maintainance break.

I'm currently hunting on a planet and area where no one is around = bad lag today

We have gone elsewhere... Just not in Entropia.

still seeing lag tonight on Rocktropia, so it's not just Caly.

Back