Essential software to install on new pc?

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
Got my new laptop.

So wondering what software is essential to install these days. Do you have any recommendations?

so far i've installed a selection of browsers

Malwarebytes

ccc cleaner

auslogic disk defragmenter

For starters but I'm no expert.

Entropia Universe - duh.

Besides drivers I would say install things as you need them? Honestly.

Why would you want to clutter a fresh install :)

What's useful to me may not be to the rest of you.
I had to use someone else's computer a few weeks ago and it didn't take long to find several utilities I cannot work without. In my humble opinion, some stuff needs to be installed because otherwise Windows is incomplete.

Then you've got to add fun stuff like Kodi, VLC, and a torrent client.

TOR Browser - https://tor.eff.org//
VLC media player
Claws Mail
7-zip
CC-Cleaner, already mentioned

If you have a SSD, you don't need to worry about defragmenting anymore. Actually it does more harm than good since flash disks age upon every write operation while not giving any speed advantage. Use only on mechanical ones.

• Cygwin. a Unix-like environment and command-line interface for Microsoft Windows.
  • VIM. Text editor.

I love VIM but it's not for everyone ;) Notepad++ is a great drop-in replacement on Windows.
I'd recommend Oracle VM VirtualBox for just playing with Linux and trying out different things, or to have a portable environment. Those who need Cygwin wouldn't ask the above question ;)

Might add XAMPP (apachefriends.org) if you're into website development.

https://portableapps.com/
always my 1st installs on a new machine ;)

Been installing someone of those. Excellent app just up my street. I installed some apps in there on my Cloud account. So that way hopefully i can also run them on my defunct old desktop pc and any other pc, very handy for interviews, work, mobile phone, tablet etc

Love this install once on cloud and run on all devices (even old defunct ones!) :)

Besides drivers I would say install things as you need them? Honestly.

Why would you want to clutter a fresh install :)

Yes, good advice. Which is why i love that portableapps. I'll also be bookmarking some online browser apps hence reducing the need to install on laptop and avoid clutter...

Oracle, snowleopard and san thanks for suggestions I'll check those out (updating windows now, thats taking ages)

subscribing :)

maybe search for windows god mode :) just a hint :)

https://ninite.com/
usually serves me well on a new install!
really nice to get the various runtimes in one installer

don't go without:
VLC player, 7-zip, evernote

Last edited:
VLC and or Media Player Classic Home Cinema edition.

Notepad++ I use it at work and it's handy to open various text based files rather than full application.

Filezilla - ftp. sftp and ftps client

MKVToolnix to remux video files when vlc and mpc can't play them properly and ImgBurn.

Back