FYI: Mining - Its is what it is.... (SPOILERS)

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
SPOILER WARNING .............................. SPOILER WARNING..........
If you do not want to know the mechanics of mining of have never mined before, please do not read this post.

So mining... it's simple... An avatar places a set of probes on the ground, those probes drill down into the ground and explode, sending pieces of probe into the surrounding area, if a resource is detected, ie other probes, those probes may be extracted as a resource type into a player's inventory.

Mining is simple alchemy, the transformation of a base substance, in this case ammo or probes into another type of substance.

The location of probe fragments can be determined thru simple maths, but the impact is huge. Primary law of Alchemy.

"Alchemy: the science of understanding the structure of matter, breaking it down, then reconstructing it as something else. It can even make gold from lead. But alchemy is a science so it must follow the natural laws: to create, something of equal value must be lost."

The losing part comes first, to populate the system with resource nodes at different depths and locations. Secondly the system checks for the presence of probes and allows their extraction from underground.

A bit of math

Min distance probe will travel = depth/((amount of probes)^(1/3)). We are dealing with a cube hence the root 3.
I will be working on the premise of a 137.508 degree spread between the probes because golden ratio and sunflowers.

In this way from the location of a probe drop, the locations of other probe fragments can be determined. As you might have surmised it's a never ending chain of cause and effect, which is effected and generated by every miner in the game.

Thankyou for your time.

Sample

Last edited:
As some of you I hope noticed, the sheet only worked for 2d explosions as the turning angle was incorrect, this has been corrected.

so you got 50% hit rate now?

Funny thing about that .... At the moment it's slightly less, about 40%

It's rather interesting. You cannot think of ore and ent-matter as separate drops anymore, it's more like you use their total amount to create a deposit of any type, so an ore and ent-matter drop would be one drop not 2 seperate ones.

It would also depend on who mined in the area before you, as remnants of their probes would be underground, so you would need to account for where, when, with what tool, with how many probes / amps and enhancements the miner prior to you used in the area you are currently mining in. The amount of variables are staggering.

If it is an explosion, it would also expand over time before coming to rest at it's final destination. And that is just a model for the probes.... The detector could work a completely different way.

Currently I am leaning towards a magnet, that attracts probe fragments to itself.

i think it would be good if you could make a video showing the technique in action. that would clear up lots of things

i think it would be good if you could make a video showing the technique in action. that would clear up lots of things

A video could be interesting.....

I have changed the sheet a bit, just as a precursor to what I am working on next.

The field / grid has been shrunk to the same size as the diameter of my mining tool. Surprisingly the math still works.

I will be creating a new version of the sheet with a video guide (perhaps) or at very least a document showing how it is supposed to work, as soon as I am happy with the results.

This version will take the concept of a personal loot pool to a whole new level.

So MA will be broke in a week and all resources will be tt food?

CO

Im going to drop a clue...

This is what it my "boom" partially looks like now ..... And it's pretty accurate...

if you still got that 40% hitrate id buy a few lvl 13 amps, and withdraw a few 100k bucks next months.

Back