How do LA taxes work?

Probably some players will tell I am wrong but I doubt. Sometimes the tax is MUCH bigger then the declared tax area due to the way MA is treating the players returns - they always round it down.
So if you mine in LA with 5% mining tax and hit 10 PED lyst claim it is easy - you actually *hit* and mine 9.5 PED lyst. BUT - if you hit (for example) 10 PED Kanerium ore you should get 4 ores 2,5 PED each. But as it is impossible to cut exactly 5% MA rounds down your return, instead you get a smaller claim - just 3 ores or only 7,5 PED. Which effectively makes 25% tax rate. Who gets the additional 20% is big question but I would bet it is not the LA owner.

I think most people are wrong.

The draw of buying a land area is to get the tax control that Mindark/PP would have if they still owned that chunk of land.(which normally goes towards CLD/PP income)

We could debate about the tax rate of calypso proper all day, but:
CLD clearly takes revenues from non taxed.
Land deed clearly takes taxes from given area.

I personally think Caly proper is perhaps 3%-5% but there is no way to know just how much they are taking off all decays in the same fashion as a land area.

Actually if you do some super rough math as of today CLD would indicate around 10% tax revenue. Granted much of this is other planets but lets say 4%, leaving 6% for caly.
CLD yearly revenue total says 9,885,900 ped
EL shows 1 922 671 PED (in just globals) for the week.
that times 52 weeks equals 99,978,892 ped per year (in just globals)

CLD revenue divided by the EL yearly Averaged total, and you have @10.11% tax revenues going into CLD rough guessing 40% of that EL total goes to other planets, for 60%-ish left on caly.
Granted, there is a bit more revenue than what EL tracks as well, and that number I really am not sure how to calculate. I would guess the global total x 4 or 5 for the non tracked revenues.

actually could guestimate, if 99 mill ped is total revenues, and caly had 60% (60 mill) of that, 60x4 for non EL tracked decay estimate = 240 mill+ the 60mill tracked = 300 mill. estimated total caly decay. Divide the 9.89 mill in CLD income, and would get 3.3%.

CLD is only 50% of all calypso revenues, pushing it back up to 6.6% in this rough estimation.

(really rough math, but shows can potentially get to the numbers of a 3-5% caly proper rate)
But for certain a % of revenues on "non-taxed" makes a lot of PED for CLD.

If Land areas have an inherent bonus to modifiers (given you are actually a good match for gear and skill) as MA stated long ago in the past, then most of the gains will be in the form of HOF's, which will not be seen on a run to run basis (which will generally show % losses), and depending on the mob would need seriously long records to see play out, and... may not be seen if cant match the optimal kill rate.

I could even point to Girts a little on this maybe, he spent a massive amount of time on the big Occy in comparison to the little ones, and his 2nd biggest HOF was a small one in which he had the kill speed for, on one of the rare days he pulled off of the big ones. And there are only 2 occy Hofs (out of nearly 15k globals!) in his whole top 20 despite 7000!! more globals than the next mob down on his most globals list. Worth noting, and perhaps not the best example if using those long term results as gospel.

Or for that matter, any other claim by players who kill mobs far above their level/killing speed optimal over time and claim there has to be loss from taxes.
(no offense ofc to girts, I am actually rather glad to see he pulled down to some seemingly better mobs. :))

In my experience, returns play out much better on taxed land areas in the end, especially when the LA offers motivation. Which ultimately seems to be better than non taxed (CLD/PP revenues).

In the end, its all taxed. I don't think it matters, except that land areas seem to have a slight bonus to modifiers, and occasionally really amazing owners who appreciate your business.

Last edited:
Revenue is generated by decay.

Taxes are taken from loot.

Taxes are not revenue.

As for what's going on in certain areas that are both taxed and paying revenue deeds, there's not actually any indication, certainly no clear statement I've seen, that taxes are fed back into revenue payouts for those lands.

It's an important distinction that Calypso Land deeds pay a share of planet partner revenue, while the Arkadia deeds are paying a share of a land area revenue.

To my knowledge the calypso planet partner company is not managing any taxed lands (questions about shops aside) at this time, right? If they were it would be appropriate for that to feed into the deeds as revenue as it would hit the planet partner's balance sheet. But I don't think there are any.

On Arkadia we have a situation where deeds are paying based on revenue generated in the land area, but taxes are paid to the planet partner. As such there's no indication that those taxes feed into the revenue paid to deed holders.

Of course, if either MA or Arkadia has published a statement saying where those taxes go, I'd love to read it. To date I've seen nothing to indicate they're involved with the deed payouts at all.

EDIT: I went back and read the OP

I know it's been asked before but from the info I can find opinions are all over the place, so I wanted to ask if there was any confirmed data under the new system that explains how land area taxes work?

Is this simply taken out of my loot? If the tax is 5%, does that mean I'm guaranteed only 95% of whatever my return would be, or is there some compensatory measure (e.g. loot is proportionally bigger)?

Taxes have always been explained this way. Yes. After all is said and done, and your "loot event" is all calculated, you should receive 95 PEC for each 1 PED you would have looted on untaxed land.

The extra 5 PEC is paid as the tax to the land area's deed holder.

As far as I know revenue is still generated primarily by the decay of items.

Last edited:

The draw of buying a land area is to get the tax control that Mindark/PP would have if they still owned that chunk of land.(which normally goes towards CLD/PP income)

I've suspected this for many years, actually. But it would be hard to prove unless someone would set an LA to 10% (max) tax and then do a long term test that is unspoiled by any other activity. Best way to do that of course would be to own the LA so you don't potentially lose a lot of ped.

TL;dr

Minning in no tax areas 95-96% (in this day over last 1yr)
Minning in taxed area 88-91% (depend tax but most my samples come from 5% indoor)

Easy

Mindark revenue or Arkadia revenue coming from decays
Taxs is taken from you loot to pay deed holder

Sorry Land owners buts its true
Test how many times you want

TL;dr

Minning in no tax areas 95-96% (in this day over last 1yr)
Minning in taxed area 88-91% (depend tax but most my samples come from 5% indoor)

And thats a complete BS excample.

You cant compare planetside non taxed to indoor non taxed.
Its comparing appels with oranges.

Indoor generally has lower hit rate but therefor chance of higher multiplyers.
Your difference can also come from a lot NRFs without beeing compensated by chance of higher multiplyers (bad runs).

If you want a serious test, you need to compare mining non taxed planetside with taxed planetside, and not indoor where you have completely different hit rate and multiplyer chances.

What you did would be the same comparing L BPs with UL BPs 95% and 90% success and claiming there is a tax on the UL BPs while there is no tax on the L ones :D

As said comparing oranges and apples.

well its you money do whatever you want to do , but i warned

How are people actually still posting in this thread?

It works as mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Land areas simply take a cut based on the set tax amount from each loot from creatures spawned in the area or mining claims found in the area.

I have done some testing and any bonus sharp is not taxed... slightly lower tax than you will actually see, if anyone has done long term testing i'd be interested to see if you have same results?! I think its wrong by MA to do this.

We could debate about the tax rate of calypso proper all day, but:
CLD clearly takes revenues from non taxed.
Land deed clearly takes taxes from given area.

I personally think Caly proper is perhaps 3%-5% but there is no way to know just how much they are taking off all decays in the same fashion as a land area.

Actually if you do some super rough math as of today CLD would indicate around 10% tax revenue. Granted much of this is other planets but lets say 4%, leaving 6% for caly.
CLD yearly revenue total says 9,885,900 ped
EL shows 1 922 671 PED (in just globals) for the week.
that times 52 weeks equals 99,978,892 ped per year (in just globals)

CLD revenue divided by the EL yearly Averaged total, and you have @10.11% tax revenues going into CLD rough guessing 40% of that EL total goes to other planets, for 60%-ish left on caly.
Granted, there is a bit more revenue than what EL tracks as well, and that number I really am not sure how to calculate. I would guess the global total x 4 or 5 for the non tracked revenues.

actually could guestimate, if 99 mill ped is total revenues, and caly had 60% (60 mill) of that, 60x4 for non EL tracked decay estimate = 240 mill+ the 60mill tracked = 300 mill. estimated total caly decay. Divide the 9.89 mill in CLD income, and would get 3.3%.

CLD is only 50% of all calypso revenues, pushing it back up to 6.6% in this rough estimation.

(really rough math, but shows can potentially get to the numbers of a 3-5% caly proper rate)
But for certain a % of revenues on "non-taxed" makes a lot of PED for CLD.

If Land areas have an inherent bonus to modifiers (given you are actually a good match for gear and skill) as MA stated long ago in the past, then most of the gains will be in the form of HOF's, which will not be seen on a run to run basis (which will generally show % losses), and depending on the mob would need seriously long records to see play out, and... may not be seen if cant match the optimal kill rate.

I could even point to Girts a little on this maybe, he spent a massive amount of time on the big Occy in comparison to the little ones, and his 2nd biggest HOF was a small one in which he had the kill speed for, on one of the rare days he pulled off of the big ones. And there are only 2 occy Hofs (out of nearly 15k globals!) in his whole top 20 despite 7000!! more globals than the next mob down on his most globals list. Worth noting, and perhaps not the best example if using those long term results as gospel.

Or for that matter, any other claim by players who kill mobs far above their level/killing speed optimal over time and claim there has to be loss from taxes.
(no offense ofc to girts, I am actually rather glad to see he pulled down to some seemingly better mobs. :))

In my experience, returns play out much better on taxed land areas in the end, especially when the LA offers motivation. Which ultimately seems to be better than non taxed (CLD/PP revenues).

In the end, its all taxed. I don't think it matters, except that land areas seem to have a slight bonus to modifiers, and occasionally really amazing owners who appreciate your business.

hehe every land owners dream customer would be cool if it was like this but as stated and tested by many (including MA) they simply deduct the tax % from every loot event in the area. Cant comment on bonus shrap being taxed or not would be pretty obnoxious/hard to test that conclusively.

I have done some testing and any bonus sharp is not taxed... slightly lower tax than you will actually see, if anyone has done long term testing i'd be interested to see if you have same results?! I think its wrong by MA to do this.

MA stated that the bonus loots are not taxed. I don't see a need to test for this.

Back