Entropia Universe Ending Support for Windows XP

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
[h=3]Entropia Universe Ending Support for Windows XP[/h]As previously announced in May, Entropia Universe will soon no longer run on Windows XP machines. In order to ensure an appropriate level of account security for our customers, MindArk has decided to discontinue support for Windows XP and older operating systems starting in Q4 of 2017.

Account security is MindArk’s highest priority. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in helping to keep Entropia Universe safe and secure for all participants. We urge any Entropia Universe participants still using Windows XP or older versions of Windows to upgrade their operating systems within the next several months.

This change will also allow the implementation of a platform update that many Entropians have requested: DirectX 11 support. This is a long-awaited upgrade in technology that will enable MindArk to further improve the Entropia Universe graphical engine. We promise that Entropia soon will be possible to experience in the form we always have dreamed of, Virtual Reality.

Stay tuned for more information.

Klas Moreau
CEO MindArk

Originally Posted Here

This change will also allow the implementation of a platform update that many Entropians have requested: DirectX 11 support. This is a long-awaited upgrade in technology that will enable MindArk to further improve the Entropia Universe graphical engine. We promise that Entropia soon will be possible to experience in the form we always have dreamed of, Virtual Reality.

Stay tuned for more information. :popcorn:

Klas Moreau
CEO MindArk

Sounds cool.
I just hope that it will not be a fiasco like when they switched to Vu.10

So this means that also the old school fap textures are updated?
And probably alot more that still are Pre Vu.10 looking.
And ofc alot of optimizing the game would be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its still cost me expensive to revamp the graphics as when the Vu10 :rolleyes::laugh:

I hope you give at least 3 months notice before you end Windows 7 support.

I hope you give at least 3 months notice before you end Windows 7 support.
Microsoft ended their support of XP more than 3 years ago. Windows 7, on the other hand, is still being supported for another 2.5 years. Honestly, if the OS is no longer supported by MS, I really don't think anyone is owed advanced notice when any given third party chooses to end their support. Using an OS that Microsoft no longer supports is just silly.

Microsoft ended their support of XP more than 3 years ago. Windows 7, on the other hand, is still being supported for another 2.5 years. Honestly, if the OS is no longer supported by MS, I really don't think anyone is owed advanced notice when any given third party chooses to end their support. Using an OS that Microsoft no longer supports is just silly.

Couldnt disagree with you more. :)

This exactly, XP is 16 years old... its about time for it to get a job and start living on its own soon

What it will mean -- no more 32bit executables, version check, or any intentional restriction to block run on early systems? I not care about any real windows, but I care about wine/linux (or wine/mac in theory) compatibility. Any clarification from MA forum officials?

PS Would be nice, if MA will support wine compatibility in same level, like CCP does for EVE.

What it will mean -- no more 32bit executables, version check, or any intentional restriction to block run on early systems? I not care about any real windows, but I care about wine/linux (or wine/mac in theory) compatibility. Any clarification from MA forum officials?

PS Would be nice, if MA will support wine compatibility in same level, like CCP does for EVE.
I think I've been around long enough to say "blocking" it on XP is fairly unlikely - if nothing else, because that would take time and resources to implement - both of which MA is very limited on. It's more likely that if EU still runs on XP, you may do as you please. But if you have technical issues and contact support, they'll have to say they can't help you due to an unsupported OS.

Bye XP.

Klaus, what Linux OS should I download to use with PE?

The NHS, Reckitt Benckiser, FedEx, Rosneft to name just a few would potentially disagree with you after the recent Petya ransomware hack which specifically exploited XP security holes which MS no longer actively updated.

Computer systems are not suitable to the thought of "what once worked, will always work". The only reason they "always" worked was due to the constant security updates; once these stop, the systems are vulnerable.

The NHS, Reckitt Benckiser, FedEx, Rosneft to name just a few would potentially disagree with you after the recent Petya ransomware hack which specifically exploited XP security holes which MS no longer actively updated.

Computer systems are not suitable to the thought of "what once worked, will always work". The only reason they "always" worked was due to the constant security updates; once these stop, the systems are vulnerable.

It's always annoying when what I say is deflected onto what people think I said or even worse what they decide to twist it to.

My original post was talking about Windows 7. Retiring Windows XP I'm fine with, Entropia didnt work well with 4 Gig of Ram years ago, hence I use 32 Gig of Ram now.

If you want an argument go find one elsewhere.

It's always annoying when what I say is deflected onto what people think I said or even worse what they decide to twist it to.

You wrote this:

To this:

I've italicised the part which is fact (therefore not disagreeable on). I've bolded the part which is opinion, i.e. what a normal fucking person would assume you disagreed with.

Don't cry like a prick just because you can't elocute your thoughts correctly.

[h=3]This change will also allow the implementation of a platform update that many Entropians have requested: DirectX 11 support. This is a long-awaited upgrade in technology that will enable MindArk to further improve the Entropia Universe graphical engine. We promise that Entropia soon will be possible to experience in the form we always have dreamed of, Virtual Reality.

I'm not convinced a VR interface is worth the effort yet.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/26/this-vr-cycle-is-dead

Which Guy is still using Windows XP AND playing EU?? :scratch2::scratch2:

I Know: Much guys are using it, but they´re mostly older Peoples, who are only checking emails or surfing.... but seriously playing a real Cash game like EU?? :eyecrazy::eyecrazy:

[h=3].

What does this mean to me in terms of gpu?

Yes, I play on an old laptop but I do run win10 on it

+1 on this. I'd rather know in a bit of advance so I can save for a desktop if my current setup will only be able to carry safe mode.

In this game some people have serious amount of money tied up in items and skills. Hence, it would be irresponsible in a way to, at the same second MS drops support, to also cut off players with the assets (because an operating system manufacturer decides not to provide active support).

To give an example, windows 10 was said to be supported indefinitely. However it recently turned out, that what MS meaned (in the fine print) was that windows 10 would be supported on a specific platform as long as the manufacturer actively developed new hardware drivers. Practically this could mean that when a certain computer model is shipped, if the manufacturer doesn't continue to make hardware drivers according to the changes that Microsoft states, that computer will no longer be supported.

This will be apparent with next major Windows 10 release: Next windows release will not work on a number of CPU models because Microsoft has changed, uh some stuff. Originally this would mean that those computers would be sunsupported as soon as 2019, but MA took the wise decision to continue support it as long as Windows 8.1 would had been supported. Probably because Microsoft doesn't want the headace of customers wanting to downgrade to an earlier supported version of the OS.

However, next time Microsoft changes something it might not work like this. Now we know the deal: If you have a computer with windows 10, it could turn unsupported (practically) with a few months notice; when MS decides to do next major update. If your computer manufacturer doesn't actively update the drivers for the next windows 10 release you'll be sitting on a computer that's as supported as Windows XP is today.

Practically, and probably specifically for Windows XP, I think that most people have upgrated the hardware and by that also the OS, simply because of that teh hardware requirements has increased. I guess that a typical computer with Windows XP simply has too little RAM (say 1 GB memory), too slow graphics and possbily a slow CPU.

As for 32/64-bit, I'm pretty sure that there is a 32-bit version of Windows 7. However, most computers are shipped with 64-bit version. 32-bit windows 7 is mostly for computers with low RAM (say 1-2 GB memory), low diskspace (say 32 GB SSD-disk); or for companies who need to stay compatible with 16-bit windows programs (as 32-bit windows 7 can run 16-bit windows programs/installers).

Then again there are philosofical reasons to stay with Windows 7 rather than upgrade to windows 10 of course. Like, ugly GUI and shareware programs (ie "clash of clans" ending up on "start menu"), the windows store/microsoft account deal, no control over how Windows Update works (eg not being able to prevent windows from rebooting computer with documents open).

The "HAL" (Hardware abstraction layer) thinking, that allowed DEC Alpha CPU to run 16-bit DOS programs is no more. (The drivers Microsoft required updating was CPU drivers, and obviously MS doesn't supply any "generic x86"-driver.)

The point is: (Even) if you are using Windows 10, your computer can be unsupported the day it leaves the shelf of the computer store with the new support policy. Microsoft has the right to unsupport it at any update if computer manufacturer doesn't continously update hardware (for instance to each specific CPU type) drivers.

I direct my boot at Microsoft for not providing a fall-back generic CPU driver. I don't blame MA here because I think most computers runnign XP today has too weak hardware for entropia (less than 4GB ram). Also I'd guess the same way that even 32-bit WIndows 7 (Windows 8, WIndows 10) installations probably has too little of hardware.

Last edited:
In this game some people have serious amount of money tied up in items and skills. Hence, it would be irresponsible in a way to, at the same second MS drops support, to also cut off players with the assets (because an operating system manufacturer decides not to provide active support).
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Even if you feel this way, it is irresponsible on the part of the user to knowingly continue using an end-of-life product. You could have a million peds tied up in the game; it doesn't change this fact! It's similar to intentionally driving a car without insurance in that you are willingly putting yourself at increased risk. Maybe take game makers dropping support as a clue instead of pushing back? But at the end of the day, it is your choice, I guess.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Even if you feel this way, it is irresponsible on the part of the user to knowingly continue using an end-of-life product.

The phone I carry around most of the time is a Nokia 1650 mobile phone, production begun 2008 (9 years ago). I'm almost certain it's at "end of life". However, it's not a smartphone so I doubt it's easy to "hack". As TV I use an LCD monitor from, uh, around year 2000 or so. I got it cheap because it had a few dead pixels (which I don't see from a distance and TV has lower resolution than the pixel grid).

Is it really bad to use items that the manufacturer doesn't support anymore?

Is it good to buy new, more complex, products that has unknown ways for a "third party" to manipulate? Is it good to throw out a working 32" LCD tv that you surf with through let's say an attached computer, to replace with a smart-TV that you connect straight to internet through wifi?

I'd be broke if I had to buy new of everything every 1-2 years (or 90 days for products from some companies :p) just because manufafturer has stopped maintaining it.

I can agree with that Windows XP is old, and there now are a few known security problems with it (that won't get fixed). But on the other hand, again, you must know that for a computer system to be supported by Microsoft it now depends if the manufacturer supports it actively. As soon as your computer manufacturer doesn't update it, your computer is theoretically unsupported from that day.

Would it be reasonable that the day your computer manufacturer decides (it can be an internal decision) not to support a specific hardware in your computer, that that day Mindark should pull the plug on your computer so you would have to buy a new computer even for tasks like buying ESIs from ingame auction or other players and extract skills, or even log in to keep account at all.

(Yes it's tough. But it's the way Microsoft, who decides the lifetime of an installed OS, has defined "lifetime of device". Lots of people thought it ment until computer goes up in flames, but Micosoft showed to have another definition of it.)

Theoretically, in the future, a computer running Windows 10 with an Atom CPU is not more supported than a computer with Athlon CPU running Windows XP. "Windows 10 wil be supported throughout the lifetime of your device" means nothing. It's just that it's officially not MS but a chip manufacturer who will pull the plug on support. And you won't know that your computer is unsupported until Microsoft releases a patch that will require an updated driver and patch installer will give a cryptic message "Your computer doesn't fullfill requirements for this update".

Last edited:

+1 on this. I'd rather know in a bit of advance so I can save for a desktop if my current setup will only be able to carry safe mode.

theoretically everyone should see an increase in performance

I work for a mid-sized software company, and we had legal liabilities that caused us to drop support for XP at the same time Microsoft did (largely security-related, as someone previously mentioned). Since EU uses real money, I'm actually surprised it took them as long as it did.

Only on PCF could an announcement as innocuous as this still cause fighting and bitching.

VR deeds coming to an auction soon.....smiles.

Doesn't bother me, I upgrade to windows 10 ages ago, after continued harassing update remembers from Microsoft that I eventually clicked to get them off my back.

Hated it when I first got it, but no turning back now. It's got better, although I still prefer the old outlook.

Rick

I work for a mid-sized software company, and we had legal liabilities that caused us to drop support for XP at the same time Microsoft did (largely security-related, as someone previously mentioned). Since EU uses real money, I'm actually surprised it took them as long as it did.

Only on PCF could an announcement as innocuous as this still cause fighting and bitching.

Yeah something is going on. Even Google Earth which doesn't do much updating these days updated just this last week dropping XP support.

Great news overall - opinions incoming...

Re: supported hardware / OS and MS.

Good move by MS - HP is just one culprit that develops bloatware and useless drivers for semi-customised hardware. Newer hardware consolidates a lot of the functionality in PC parts, all-in-ones, and most consumer based systems - which Windows 10 is aimed at. Complaining about support for underperforming or obscure hardware is wasted breath given that most ICs requiring specific drivers have been implemented as a cost cutting measure never intended for that implementation in the first place.

I'm running 9 year old hardware - PC built from scratch, nothing fancy but all parts still supported on Win10 and runs faster than with any prior Win OS.

Yeah something is going on. Even Google Earth which doesn't do much updating these days updated just this last week dropping XP support.

From my understanding, XP support is being dropped from many corps due to an inherent 'vulnerability' in common but certain use cases that is difficult/unable to be patched.

Re: VR in EU.

Good move by EU - looking forward. Many stories about VR being dead. Tech sites enjoy being the ones to call the death of a tech. This is not 3D TV which only has a single function. VR and AR have penetrated almost every industry be it product dev, automotive, architecture, marketing, gaming, home appliances etc.... Like most developing tech, VR and AR is restricted by access to hardware and software at the consumer level. Bethesda is re-releasing 3 major titles in full VR, other devs are doing the same. HTC and MS are releasing lower cost HMDs (head mounted displays) which will bring VR to the masses. Even Apple (god help us) aims to release a 'Google glass' in the near future. In time, VR and AR will become mainstream. VR is not my cup of tea but there is a big market for immersive gaming and, imo, EU is an ideal platform for it.

The difference in performance, efficiency and feature set between DX9 and full DX11 is chalk and cheese....
MA - gimme that cheese.

:twocents:

Chaz.

The phone I carry around most of the time is a Nokia 1650 mobile phone, production begun 2008 (9 years ago). I'm almost certain it's at "end of life". However, it's not a smartphone so I doubt it's easy to "hack". As TV I use an LCD monitor from, uh, around year 2000 or so. I got it cheap because it had a few dead pixels (which I don't see from a distance and TV has lower resolution than the pixel grid).

Is it really bad to use items that the manufacturer doesn't support anymore?

No, using items not supported by the manufacturer is fine when it doesn't pose a danger to you. Hardware normally does outlive it's manufacture's lifecycle and can be found in use decades after it was suppose to be dead.

Software, for the most part, is not the same. Use of old, outdated software with security vulnerabilities just makes you a target for the hackers and script kiddies out there. I would equate it more to continuing to drink milk that is over it's expiration date. You may be ok for a short period but if you just keep drinking, it will get you sick as a dog. Most times, it's best to get a new one and throw the old shit out. :lam:

From my understanding, XP support is being dropped from many corps due to an inherent 'vulnerability' in common but certain use cases that is difficult/unable to be patched.

Yes that's what I have heard as well. I just found it odd that with Google Earth not being updated much more these days that they did push out an update just to remove XP support -- and fix a few bugs here and there.

Back