• No

Votes: 75 75.0%

• Total voters

Xen

Mutated
Society
AO
Xendar Xen Xal
Simple, do you think Kiting is an exploit or not?

I have never done it myself so I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it involves running away from the mob, somehow using both a strafe (running sideways) and a jump simultaneously which launches your avatar away from the mob with unusual speed, and may even appear to be a sort of teleporting to the observer. This enables almost anyone to kill any mob slow enough (like eomon) without getting hit at all.

Personally, I think it's an exploit. I don't think the movement is intended and is a glitch, which some hunters take advantage of. It enables players to hunt mobs that would otherwise be above their level, or at a minimum avoid all armor/fap decay.

IMO entropia should be revamped into turn-based combat to prevent silly bug abuses like this

All ranged weapons are exploits!

Melee is the only fair way to play

sounds like movement around the hitbox or something similar...

In theory, yes, Mindark should re-do the entire game from the ground up so that there are no exploits, but they've got so many damn exploitable things out there and databases that their programmers have only half baked ideas on how to go to program it through to where it is that doing something like that would cause the entire game to disappear, so it'd be a bad idea overall...

Exploit - yes, potentially, but as mentioned anything in the game can be considered an exploit by someone else, and often is... so many damn avatars out there are always skipping and jumping around like they are high on meth. Explains why it's seen out in the field so much I suppose.

Didn't realize there was a name for it. Maybe mindark should put real kites in game once the exploit is fixed. Kiting, ping-pong hunting... so many different ways to do the same basic thing... ah well, at least they aren't gonna get the armor bonus loot?

Kiting imo is not an exploit , is just another style of game playing , in all mmo's I've experienced , it takes a level of skill to effectively do :)

If kiting was a legitimate exploit , then as soon as you take your first shot at a mob you should then be paralyzed to the point of not even being able to walk backwards away from mob while shooting it

bunnyhopping was a legit tactic in shooters 20 years ago already :laugh:

sure you can argue kiting in EU is unfair for everyone who can't do it, or prefers to play with mouse or joypad only, or can't hit any mob without autoaim at all.

on the other side it requires skill to do that, and there's so many more important issues, that i couldn't care less.

bunnyhopping was a legit tactic in shooters 20 years ago already :laugh:

sure you can argue kiting in EU is unfair for everyone who can't do it, or prefers to play with mouse or joypad only, or can't hit any mob without autoaim at all.

on the other side it requires skill to do that, and there's so many more important issues, that i couldn't care less.

The problem is it's not normal movement, the combination of keys/turning produces a movement of the avatar that is faster than it should be. It's not a matter of simply having the dexterity to press keys a certain way.

The problem is it's not normal movement, the combination of keys/turning produces a movement of the avatar that is faster than it should be. It's not a matter of simply having the dexterity to press keys a certain way.

you are not faster than you should be. you are exactly as fast as when running forward. so strafing is same speed. but it would even be possible without strafing at all. just take a gun with apm you are where you are able to do it without missing too much time not attacking, like 30 attacks per minute, then shoot once, turn around, turn around and shoot. most games even offer 180 turn options which would make this really easy. but even without its easy. just a little movement skill needed. and you cant exploit running forward... only thing to counter this would make it that you can only walk when you shot once for like 3 seconds. but thatd piss off a lot of people who dont even do kiting.

Why u woke up now Xen ? Ppls were doing this since 2014-2015 on prot right ? :D

Wow this is stupid.. is backpedalling after pulling a mob also an exploit..? U are "running" from the mob... i personally use kiting on proterons and i dont see anything wrong in that... im using my agility to have benefits... i think it might be hard for those 3rd person clicker heroes to pull it off and thats why they think it should be counted as an exploit which its not... it goes to same category with team hunt where you ping pong the mob with long range guns...

Why u woke up now Xen ? Ppls were doing this since 2014-2015 on prot right ? :D

Actually we used to do this back in the days with globsters.. but these days it seems that they sped them up.. or they just spit further..

Basically your movement is backpeddaling and strafe jumping between the reloads.. it doesnt give you any extra speed its just that you use the jump to cut the turn phase of your movement without losing speed... with enough practise you can do it with a 60+ apm weapons also without losing any shots...

its pretty annoying if you are trying to hunt normally and you have 5 people doing it near you, but I completed the prot mission so I don't see it that often anymore. I tried it a few times always found my loot worse when I wasn't getting hit by the mob, so I just used healers instead.

agreed and MA has confirmed it by nerfing mob speeds (think proterons) long time ago
Personally, I think it's an exploit. I don't think the movement is intended and is a glitch, which some hunters take advantage of. It enables players to hunt mobs that would otherwise be above their level, or at a minimum avoid all armor/fap decay.

Was talking about this in Discord last night, and yes, I think it's an exploit, especially those who make a macro to do it for them.

Probably lost a few friends or respect last night, as I was the one to bring it up in chat :yay:

I also found it pretty annoying doing Hatchlings with 3 or 4 people dragging a whole bunch of them, and heading my way, causing me to have 5 or 6 more mobs to contend with, when they switched agro to me.

If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Can't be a true exploit (i.e. cheat) as every player has the tools to do this. You need a W key, an A or D key, a jump key and a mouse.

It could be thought of as a unfair advantage "exploit" where it could be nerfed like EST was (pretty easy, just add a landing jump/movement delay).

Using macros to achieve it (while wholly unnecessary) obvious is a cheat but there's no possible way of policing it.

Really, to avoid this happening MA should employ better mob AI (something they said they would include back in some VU 7 or 8 update of Project Entropia, "berycleds hunting in packs" I think was the example from Marco at the time).

Is this even a topic lol?? Ofc if player wants to run, jump walk, shoot or whatever and thats the tools we are given ingame then thats not an exploit.

Even funnier topic conscidering who is asking the question :yay:

Is this even a topic lol?? Ofc if player wants to run, jump walk, shoot or whatever and thats the tools we are given ingame then thats not an exploit.

Even funnier topic conscidering who is asking the question :yay:

Were also given the tools to enter vehicle, fly a bit, get out, shoot 10 times, enter vehicle, fly, get out, continue shooting rinse/repeat till mobs dead.
Still an exploit.

If you cant take damage from a mob, or have the armour to kill it without dying much, don't kill it, simple.

Were also given the tools to enter vehicle, fly a bit, get out, shoot 10 times, enter vehicle, fly, get out, continue shooting rinse/repeat till mobs dead.
Still an exploit.

If you cant take damage from a mob, or have the armour to kill it without dying much, don't kill it, simple.

Thats developers headache IMO, you dont hurt nobody from doing the best you can from the tools you have in this game.

Allso to try and escape a mob seems pretty logical to me

Nope, game mechanic :)

time to kill the runnning speed buff on ring and other item and invent cement shoe when you shoot

Having high enough DPS before a mob hits you is an exploit!
If you have too much, you should be restricted from shooting until the mob gets in range!

Still an exploit.

When Im shooting for example a mulciber Im using an external hired service wih a modified omegaton first aid kit, I really cant take the damage from the mob myself and I really am sorry for my explotings.......

When shared lootmobs some with lesser tools or skills try to stay away from getting hit, most obviously exploiting......

I use a tagger to not get hit the first 200 meters Immaking damage to the mob, allso I have good DPS and most obviously again an exploit.....

Sometimes Im even walking backwards to try to avoid getting hit of a mob, sad but again an exploit.....

I will ofc immediately TT all my rings and now finally possible to refine my 30k TT of pills that I had for buffs to absolutely tank as much HP as possible from the mobs I face, movespeed and attackspeed perhaps might be conscidered exploits......

If a big group of mobs I will allways agro as many as possible to stay safe from not exploiting through avoiding dmg......

Reactions: das
It seems some people think it's normal running/jumping that I'm talking about (it's not) and some want to pretend that it's just normal mechanics when they know it's not.

Oh well, it looks like most people are ok with this sort of thing now...

Reactions: das
It seems some people think it's normal running/jumping that I'm talking about (it's not) and some want to pretend that it's just normal mechanics when they know it's not.

Oh well, it looks like most people are ok with this sort of thing now...

It is normal.

It's just turning and shooting, and turning back before your forward momentum drops.

Very normal quake style shooter mechanics.

It is very simple to distinguish an Exploit from Smart Game Play

It is Smart Game Play until MA fixes it - then it might become an Ex-Kind-of-Exploit.

Otherwise nobody should play EU, because you will never know when or why you might get grounded for exploiting..

Ok, I'll ask this one simple, logical question. If jumping at the same moment as strafing/turning does not add distance/speed, then why do people involve the jump at all? It should be completely unnecessary.

Its not exploit but MA should correct a bit run and jump mechanics to fix "teleportation effect" - its looks like some bug especially annoing during pvp battle.

Back