(Rant) Vision of EU's future ?

Fiona Simmons

Stalker
Were will it go to ? We havn't heard anyting about the directions EU will moving towards the next years and i see mindark spending ressources on different projects that are only loosely connected with entropia.

What can you guys from mindark do ? I feel there is no one left with vision and the power to make drastic changes and pushing entropia forward. I feel nothing and im no excited about any upcomming content that was announced so far. Entropia needs to reform, for an entertainment product it incredibly leaks systems for social interaction , community building inside the game and customisation of look and shape.

Are you proud of your "Barbie" charakter generator ? This thing that only spits out young and nice looking mid tweens ? We have thousands of different fashions and endless combinations ? Well too bad they all gone when you put on armor ! Why do we have 2017 still not the option to make armor invisible exept those few 5k usd armor sets ? Why even bother with fashion when so many people run around 90% of their time in ugly looking full ghost armor ?

You have the technology since years but why dont we have some kind of wristband communicator were we can tune in and listen to player made live radio streams ? We have so many ad screens, why can't we watch entropia related twitch or youtube streamers over it ? You guys have no vision anymore ! How old is the youngest person in your executive ? How about an ingame browser for approved entropia related external web content ? How about tools for a participant driven ingame newsletter ?

How about ingame marriage, something simple like showing the name of your partner over your head like husband/wife of XY ? Couple daily quests ? Themed loot for more than helloween, xmas and easter. Why can't we still sit on the ground ? Why are there no couple actions like embrace, kiss, carry, sitting together on the beach or sitting down in general ? People want to show affection ingame and express themself but the ingame systems for this are still on 2005 level oh wait they worse i remember i could sit on gound around this time.

Other games are lightyears ahead offering that kind of content. I dont want to know how many people left because just doing the professions and mindlessly grind stuff was too boring and they never found their special soulmate. Shouln't an entertainment product offer entertainment ? Todays entropia is grind 2.0 thats all whats left. Please mindark wake up!

Rant over

+post

I probably play entropia only because it's as clunky as my first love, Everquest :)

I still have 3 accounts active in EQ, because...why not? Played in 2012 last time, accounts created in 1999..

They are going to get headache for introducing marriage system :laugh:

Signed. EU is not what it used to be for me, sadly.

Last edited:
As for emotes, half of the dances and emotes in game are never used or so rarely used it's hard to see why they are in game at all.

More story driven quests and fewer iron mission add ones as a focus would be nice though, I agree

does it make them money?

if answer is no, it wont happen

+1 to all, obviously its not only about emotes, we need solid reasons to play, dreams to achieve, and the chance of being better than the rest out of our own hardwork, otherwise I dont see the point.

Although I agree about the vision and roadmap not being clear at all... I feel like I am reading a wishlist for next Sims version :)

Last edited:
We recently got chattering back when we type ingame. Who knows, me might be able to sit down again soon. My ava would appreciate it alot after standing up the last few years :)

sit down have been removed because some peoples use a bug if you stay 1min down , robot can"t hit you but you can hit :yup:

sit down have been removed because some peoples use a bug if you stay 1min down , robot can"t hit you but you can hit :yup:

Seems reasonable, mobs go unreachable, players should too! :naughty:

The future of the game is death, just like everything else... So enjoy the game while it still exists.

Is that what you came whit after another 6 probes run ? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Was double or single drops ? Pls discuss

Well first off the hitrate % was off, so I knew that my probes were being siphoned off to pay for a pretty large deposit.. And ye I was right..There was a 2k HOF during that period of time, after which it returned to normal for a few minutes then dropped again. It's so stupidly obvious...

I did get a sizable ign for all my effort plodding thru nrf after nrf after nrf, so that sort of pays it back.

We pay for each other's good fortune, Mindark just supplies the platform and siphons off of us to keep the lights on.

So ye, entropy, get used to it.

How about ingame marriage, something simple like showing the name of your partner over your head like husband/wife of XY ? Couple daily quests ? Themed loot for more than helloween, xmas and easter. Why can't we still sit on the ground ? Why are there no couple actions like embrace, kiss, carry, sitting together on the beach or sitting down in general ? People want to show affection ingame and express themself but the ingame systems for this are still on 2005 level oh wait they worse i remember i could sit on gound around this time.

Never one to be slow off the mark, my Entropia dating profile.

Name: Prof. Peter Plum
Date of birth: August 31, 1962 in Dundee, Scotland
Parents: Edgar and Victoria Plum
Hair Color: Brown
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 178 lbs.
Religion: Atheism
Bio: I’m an outdoorsy guy who enjoys getting into nature as much as possible and I try to get to the mountains whenever I can. When I’m not working or exploring the outdoors, you’ll find me at home hanging out with friends and cracking jokes or downtown checking out a band I’ve probably never heard of—the weirder the better. If you’d like to spend some time outside with a nice guy, I’m the one for you.

Yes I agree with what you're saying. The squandered potential of this game makes me physically ill to even think about.

There's a lot that they could do but they probably never will. A bigger question I've been asking lately is not so much "why aren't THEY doing this...that...etc." But why hasn't anyone else stepped up to create another MMO with a real cash economy that is everything the players dreamed of? (maybe a kickstarter is in order here)

There is a demand for an MMO with a real cash economy. Over the years MILLIONS of people have been interested in Entropia enough to try it (though few stay). If another MMO came along that solves the majority of gripes people have with this game it might just do exceptionally well. I'm think finding a happy medium of merging EU with a modern MMO like Guild Wars.

Sad fact is some people will never leave EU no matter how bad it gets or how little improvement is made as Entropia really is the only game in town with a real cash economy - nothing comes even remotely close. So they win by lack of competition in the industry (...for now)

Yes I agree with what you're saying. The squandered potential of this game makes me physically ill to even think about.

There's a lot that they could do but they probably never will. A bigger question I've been asking lately is not so much "why aren't THEY doing this...that...etc." But why hasn't anyone else stepped up to create another MMO with a real cash economy that is everything the players dreamed of? (maybe a kickstarter is in order here)

There is a demand for an MMO with a real cash economy. Over the years MILLIONS of people have been interested in Entropia enough to try it (though few stay). If another MMO came along that solves the majority of gripes people have with this game it might just do exceptionally well. I'm think finding a happy medium of merging EU with a modern MMO like Guild Wars.

Sad fact is some people will never leave EU no matter how bad it gets or how little improvement is made as Entropia really is the only game in town with a real cash economy - nothing comes even remotely close. So they win by lack of competition in the industry (...for now)

when looking at cryptokitties i get hope that someone will do a real blockchain mmo which might end up nice

well eu's future is an uncertain one.

1. the core problem is new player retention
2. it is extremely easy to come up with ideas that are guaranteed to at least double new player retention (and don't consume too much development time)
3. if MA can't come up with ideas, they should involve players (e.g. ME), since players have also played tons of other video games and can draw idead from that wealth of experiences and concepts
4. however, MA simply doesn't seem to be interested in tackling the core problem but rather sidesteps into rather crazy territories like mobile games and virtual reality business conference software (nevermind the dreadful blockchain idea)
5. ???

terrible situation we players that love EU are in. EU should be an actual virtual universe where you can do as many different things as possible (op has some good ideas), but it's heavily stagnating with MA barely able to keep it in a working state (e.g. the lag problem). the phenomenon bitcoin as an example shows that a product that keeps attracting new particitants at a very high rate can skyrocket immensely, and while eu certainly won't reach such a rate of growth neverdie always had the right idea - thinking BIG is the only way if eu is supposed to see another 10 years of existence. the playerbase has to grow radically, that is the core of the matter, and to grow the playerbase and gain financial assets to add new content and especially game concepts, ma has to tackle NEW PLAYER RETENTION

end of story

Player retention, well if a new player discoveres the same lag issue that I discovered recently when entering FFA instance, he will leave and never come back. That is GURANTEED.
Me as an old player still has hope MA fix its code at some point, well thats my vision or should I say dream ?

When someone joins as a new player, and isn't ready to spend wads of cash to grind away, some of the biggest and most compelling reasons to stay and keep playing are probably exploration and social interaction. This is because these are generally free activities. I'm sure when we all joined this game, we heard about this real cash economy and hoped we'd all find some way to take advantage of it...but when the reality dawns on most that this isn't going to happen without a large investment of time and money, what KEEPS us here are the adventure and social aspects of the game.

Auctions really changed the social habits. Obviously it's a useful thing, but now when you see the largest gatherings of players, you also experience a relatively low amount of socializing; just a group of zombies silently crowded around the auctioneers and crafting terminals. Outside, unless you're at Port Atlantis or Camp Icarus, the large majority of "communication" you see is spamming. While that was not much different many years ago without auctions, at least communication was a necessity if you want to buy or sell something. There was a huge opportunity for someone who had a brain to establish a presence as a trader or merchant and become quite reputable...for good or bad reasons.

Shops are also an interesting thing. I find myself easily losing interest when checking out players' shop inventories. That implementation also further removes player socializing from the buying/selling aspect of the game.

Exploration isn't really rewarded to much extent. There are scant few mission chains that don't involve grinding or expenditure of some sort. This is what would keep both new and old players intrigued during times when they don't feel like grinding out 5000 kills or crafts or mining runs.

As some have said, if it doesn't make MA money, it won't be considered, so I don't expect much will be changed to improve these problems. I think it's kind of sad how this game has evolved. Most old-timers would agree. The game was never easy but it was a simpler time; a more immersive and social time. We've gone down a road and there's no going back.

When someone joins as a new player, and isn't ready to spend wads of cash to grind away, some of the biggest and most compelling reasons to stay and keep playing are probably exploration and social interaction. This is because these are generally free activities. I'm sure when we all joined this game, we heard about this real cash economy and hoped we'd all find some way to take advantage of it...but when the reality dawns on most that this isn't going to happen without a large investment of time and money, what KEEPS us here are the adventure and social aspects of the game.

Auctions really changed the social habits. Obviously it's a useful thing, but now when you see the largest gatherings of players, you also experience a relatively low amount of socializing; just a group of zombies silently crowded around the auctioneers and crafting terminals. Outside, unless you're at Port Atlantis or Camp Icarus, the large majority of "communication" you see is spamming. While that was not much different many years ago without auctions, at least communication was a necessity if you want to buy or sell something. There was a huge opportunity for someone who had a brain to establish a presence as a trader or merchant and become quite reputable...for good or bad reasons.

Shops are also an interesting thing. I find myself easily losing interest when checking out players' shop inventories. That implementation also further removes player socializing from the buying/selling aspect of the game.

Exploration isn't really rewarded to much extent. There are scant few mission chains that don't involve grinding or expenditure of some sort. This is what would keep both new and old players intrigued during times when they don't feel like grinding out 5000 kills or crafts or mining runs.

As some have said, if it doesn't make MA money, it won't be considered, so I don't expect much will be changed to improve these problems. I think it's kind of sad how this game has evolved. Most old-timers would agree. The game was never easy but it was a simpler time; a more immersive and social time. We've gone down a road and there's no going back.

Not sure I totally agree with your assessment.

I really don't log in anymore but I do check things out from time to time.

The new player experience is so much better now than in 2003 when I started. I got dropped off in PA and had no idea of anything. Now new players get a nice walk through that results in a decent new gun, fap, and armor by the time they get to level 6 or so.

Plus social interaction is much better with the global chat channels. There's not much spam in Rookie and a few people are super helpful. Back in the day if no one was in local you were totally isolated.

There are exploration achievements and actually more than a few delivery missions. I remember one chain where you have to run back and forth to a volcano getting soil samples without dying.

I think the problem with Entropia is follow through by MA. Mostly in the past they would sell something first (malls, shops, TI, Moon, etc) and then after the initial development was done it was abandoned.

I think there are bugs in the malls that have existed for years.

They've tried to expand the player base with things like New Oxford, ComPet, and space. The problem is these were all poorly implemented and then abandoned (art classes in New Oxford, transport missions in space, deed payouts in Compet)

All of us who linger around love PE and what it was and could be. It is better than it was but it is far from what it could be.

Back