Help: Hardware issue, system unable to boot up

Pauhe Gunor

Stalker
Society
Hunters Unlimited
Pauhe Cybertrash Gunor
I seem to have a very annoying Hardware issue. I have used the exact same setup for about 1 half year now, about 6 month ago the issue first occurred, issues started where the system would not shut down it would just hang for about 5 min then reboot and had to manually power off the system and then I could not get the system to power back up.

after many hours and days of trial and error I figured an extremely annoying fix every time I need to turn the computer on after it has been powered down I need to change the GFX card into a different slot on the Main Board, Specs below.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
Cooling: Akasa Venom Voodoo
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
GPU Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X OC
HD1 OS: 250 GB Agility 3
HD2: 2 TB 7200 RPM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 PRO
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX

Headphones: V-MODA Crossfade M-100 Black/Read
Mic: Audio-Technica AT2020 (XENYX Q1002USB MIXER)
Keyboard: Logitech G19
Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma
Webcam: Logitech C920
Hauppauge! HD PVR Rocket

Has anyone ever had this issue even remotely like this in the past, pull the graphics card out put it into another graphics card slot just to get the system to boot up?

Thanks

I have had my system do something similar, freeze and force a hard boot and then turn on but do nothing i.e. the power light and some fans turn on but nothing else. Usually I had to just move boards around i.e. wiggling them a little and it would fire up afterwards. It's also a similar system i7-4770k, a z97x chipset and a R9 200 but I'm still running windows 7 pro.

Not happened for a while though, last time was over 12 months ago when I tried to add a SSD for games. It might be a need to completely discharge the caps on the various boards - easiest way is to unplug and then push power button to discharge them.

It could equally be a dodgy cmos battery although I've not changed mine and since the ssd incident it's been fine. I've avoided moving it since then the only exception being when I added two new 2Tb wd golds.

Last edited:
I know it is probably a silly question, but have you made sure you are running the latest BIOS version for that motherboard? Had a similar problem on one of my 6 GPU mining rigs back in the day and in the end updating the BIOS did the trick for me.

I recall something like this. Instead of having to change the gfx card to another slot, pulling the power cable to the vid card did it for me. After the power went on the cable could be replugged lol

I know it is probably a silly question, but have you made sure you are running the latest BIOS version for that motherboard? Had a similar problem on one of my 6 GPU mining rigs back in the day and in the end updating the BIOS did the trick for me.

Yeah I have the latest Bios version running

I have had my system do something similar, freeze and force a hard boot and then turn on but do nothing i.e. the power light and some fans turn on but nothing else. Usually I had to just move boards around i.e. wiggling them a little and it would fire up afterwards. It's also a similar system i7-4770k, a z97x chipset and a R9 200 but I'm still running windows 7 pro.

Not happened for a while though, last time was over 12 months ago when I tried to add a SSD for games. It might be a need to completely discharge the caps on the various boards - easiest way is to unplug and then push power button to discharge them.

It could equally be a dodgy cmos battery although I've not changed mine and since the ssd incident it's been fine. I've avoided moving it since then the only exception being when I added two new 2Tb wd golds.

When i power it up some fans and stuff start spinning and some don't and the lights on the R9 Fury don't lite up so seems like there is no power hitting it or something, I'll give the CMOS battery a try see how that works but seems odd that all i need to do is change the GFX card slot and it boots up as if there was no problems :s

I recall something like this. Instead of having to change the gfx card to another slot, pulling the power cable to the vid card did it for me. After the power went on the cable could be replugged lol

I just tried doing this and nothing :/

Thanks all for the input :)

Hello, you really have a strange pc issue here :-(

its difficult to tell it what exactly the problem is with those infos...

since your posts at start it sounded like a mobo issue with slots, power supply issue with the output or such on the graphics card
or also the graphics card itself with the power consumption/transforming into suitable powers needed for operating..

with the later posts i would test like following also...

1., if you have an older graphic card suitable for the pc ..try it out ..on all the slost with like 5x times power on/off,reset etc

2.,if 1 doesnt work, try out a different power cable from power supply (if there is one) or also another power supply

3.,perform a ramtest also (with like memtest86 or such)...this mobo type had some probs with several dimms

3a;try also in this manner only 2 slots occupying with ram (dunno which is first one ..the grey or black ones)

4.,try all then on another mobo slot also..maybe you also a power/slot problem on the motherboard..

Hope you´ll find the issue..

Eddie

Was going to suggest something like unstable/insufficient power but looks like you have massive overkill PSU :)
Thats probably not it.

Back