Entropy

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
Gee this one is just so obvious, I am surprised that it has not been done before.

The same way that "energy" flows between areas of high heat and less heat, your peds flow to players that have lost more peds than you.

And discuss.... or not .....

I thought i am just lucky today whit my 170% returns that i had and whitout globals .

Please do 8 probes runs next time so i can gather more . Thanks in advance :):yay:

I thought i am just lucky today whit my 170% returns that i had and whitout globals .

Please do 8 probes runs next time so i can gather more . Thanks in advance :):yay:

You can do over 170% in just one probe :eyecrazy:

I don't think that MA would create a system like this where the "ped donator" did not have a recourse...

I am so beyond the 7 drops, I can do it in ONE.

Last edited:
I more tend to "gradual decline into disorder" definition, than to some loot pool hocus-pocus.

You don't really need a pool to use this... The player's that are "hotter" than others will have their peds "drained" towards the player's that are cooler.

If this happens gradually, perhaps the direction of the drain can be determined and followed. Leading the player that is being drained from, to a nice little cache of loot, which will be drained once again to the cooler target. In mining this would be following a vein to a cluster.

The player does not necessarily even have to be online nor be on the same server, simply create smaller server chunks and overlay them on top of each other. PE did this. This can also explain the phenomenon of getting a global / hof from the first couple of probes / mobs / crafting attempts when returning to the game...

Of course MA sucks too.. Well in order to keep the lights on

I understood your point, but this means that the system would have to count on future actions of any and all given players, while any and all players can and will change their actions and online status at will.

Instead of that, a simple function such as sin(x)/x (which tends to 1 for x tending to 0), can be more effective. Because x can be any given player, not specifically those who are hot or cold.

Is simple, discrete, easy to control and can give Alexis a bazillion of things to break his mind with.

I understood your point, but this means that the system would have to count on future actions of any and all given players, while any and all players can and will change their actions and online status at will.

Instead of that, a simple function such as sin(x)/x (which tends to 1 for x tending to 0), can be more effective. Because x can be any given player, not specifically those who are hot or cold.

Is simple, discrete, easy to control and can give Alexis a bazillion of things to break his mind with.

Why... Water runs downhill..... I am not the only player being affected by this, where the highest loot is should tell you what direction to mine in.... Just follow the money.... Of course I could be going upstream, but as long as the reward is good, it does not matter

And when the coldest point is found, ie a global / hof, the system changes gear and goes in another direction..

Its like using mining probes as sonar, which the miner would excel at.. I am mobile, crafters are not. I can mine anywhere, hunters can only hunt in set hunting fields.

It may even be a good idea to just play follow the claim rods, I have not done that in years .....

Last edited:
you all are so funny, imagining anyone has a real clue how it all works

Lines of peds that run from the haves in terms of peds to have have nots.

My little mining cold detector is working so far as expected.... Sorry Eddie ..... but you were cold and I was not ...

Yes I do admit now that there is no real pattern, just real walking breathing avatars...

Why use RNG when you can use RWA (Random Walking Avatars)

All your peds are belong to us

All your peds are belong to us

Yip. No matter what you a closed system will experience heat death, the lack of movement escentially.

Thank goodness EU is an open system, new content and buying power lead to entropy ie "randomness" ie changes in probibility.

I feel like such a noob.... The system the developers are using is in the name of the game....

Entropy is a property about a system which wants to try and achieve some type of equilibrium, or maximum entropy/disorder. There is different probability of the various "motions" in the system, over a "long" enough time tau, will cause the system to achieve this state of equilibrium.

In EU, this entropy manifests in the from of this efficiency parameter. So if you take tau out to as long as you need to, you should see all the peds accumulate in the hands of those players with the highest efficiency gear.

However, EU never technically reaches a real equilibrium, because there is peds always being pumped in and out of the system, by the players and by MA/landowners.

Entropia was and probably still is basically modeled as a statistical mechanics problem. Loot events serve as the random fluctuations that over a large number events, will cause the system to fall into the lowest energy state, where all the money is in the highest efficiency player's hands. Given an even longer amount of time and insufficient input of peds into the system, the pool would eventually all end up at Mindark.

You could argue that what was happening with the critical hit/dmg items was that MA realized the rate to achieve this final equilibrium was occurring too fast and the input of peds could not sustain such a rate. As a result, the new efficiency rating parameter, which decreased loot differential between the top and bottom tier players, will extended this tau out sufficiently to be able to be sustained by the incoming peds from the player base.

This would be like cooling down an ice cube to try and make it melt slower. If you put more energy into it (heat), it will melt really fast. Less energy, slower rate of it melting into water.

Note: I apparently like hearing myself talk...lol

Last edited:
The thing is the players generate their own "heat" in the form of actions, so obviously the best way to keep a stable state is not to play at all... But that defeats the entire purpose of the game.... The aim is to gain the peds of the other players by whatever means necessary, with the least amount of work being done.

The randomness / entropy makes it interesting. There are the wtf, 800ped loot times and then there are the wtf, why can't I get a single hit times.

The thing is the players generate their own "heat" in the form of actions, so obviously the best way to keep a stable state is not to play at all... But that defeats the entire purpose of the game.... The aim is to gain the peds of the other players by whatever means necessary, with the least amount of work being done.

The randomness / entropy makes it interesting. There are the wtf, 800ped loot times and then there are the wtf, why can't I get a single hit times.

If no one played, the system would essentially be analogous to one where the temperature is at absolute zero, so no atomic motion. This is one form of equilibrium. But this is the trivial case. There would be no EU with no player interaction.

What I'm saying is, given a large enough number of player actions with no other input, the money would move into the top efficiency players' hands/MA. Given even larger number of player actions with no other input, money would simply end up in MA's hands. MA can control this knob by reducing the energy of this flow, by changing the efficiency differential between the most efficient and least efficient players.

As for random actions, they are there to keep the system dynamic (TM) and to satisfy the gambling addict in all of us, to keep us performing actions in the game. But in the end, their purpose is to flow the money up to the high efficiency players and to MA.

Last edited:
I have also been "perceiving" another version of entropy in the game and this is why I am not mining anymore until the issue resolves itself or I withdraw from the game...

It involves performing the same move or set of moves repeatedly over long periods of time. This is something that the game has been programmed to do. It looks for a set of unique actions and rewards the players for those actions encouraging the player to carry on using it, ie the game makes it look as if the player is on to some sort of pattern.

After that diminishing returns kicks in and the game simply refuses to return any loot to the player (we are talking mining here) until the player changes their pattern, which starts the entire bloody cycle from the beginning again.

Its a simple concept to observe, simply grab a md1 and perform the following actions.

1) Equip tool
2) Move forward 1m
3) Drop probe

At first the results are astonishing and you wonder why you did not see this pattern before. (Problem is that there is no pattern, the game is just rewarding the player for a unique move.)

Over time you will see the rewards for this action decrease as it becomes your normal move and thus more predictable.

Last edited:
Back