How do amps work?

Xanato Xan Kaso

Stalker
Society
The Frozen Flame
Xanato Xan Kaso
Me and my friend are discussing mining amps and are a bit confused on how they work and what efficiency means. Could someone please enlighten us?

How exactly do amps work ?
What is efficiency?
Which amp is the most economical?

I have a high QR level 2 light BP should I craft my own or buy on AH?

Thanks for the info!!!

They decay.

...thus letting you increase cost per drop and get bigger claims. For example, dropping enmatter unamped planetside costs 0.50 PED/drop, and you get claims in 0.45...2.30 PED range, with Level 3 amp it costs 1.50 PED/drop, and you get claims in 1.35...6.90 PED range. (I'm neglecting finder decay here as it's, well, relatively negligible.)

What is efficiency?
A number that you can divide by 5 and arrive at decay per drop (e.g. 2.5 efficiency = 0.50 PED decay).

Note that dropping ore+enmat at the same time results in double decay, and ore+enmat+treasure in triple. The same is true wrt finders.

Whatever you can obtain at lowest markup.

I crafted Lvl 2 Light amps just to craft them. Sold em, didn't use em. Big cost/click but I got some big swirls out of them :yay: When I did use amps, I typically used Lvl 3 or Lvl 5... Lvl 13 if you want to really gamble. But the above post explains it all very well.

Me and my friend are discussing mining amps and are a bit confused on how they work and what efficiency means. Could someone please enlighten us?

What is efficiency?

I have a high QR level 2 light BP should I craft my own or buy on AH?

Thanks for the info!!!

First of all ill say mine a bit without amps or just ask a friend for a decent area to mine. Since they added amps in this game i used only level 5 and above. I really feel like small amps are useless as fuck. Level 5 its perfect with 98 uses but up to you i prefer to have some turnover per day.

I have mined a bit. I have gotten half a dozen globals and 3 Hofs... 424 caldo, unamped, 529 Ares, unamped, 98 lyst my first week playing with the caldo hof the next, 54 growth molecules, 149 caldo hof, 120 melch.

Yesterday I got a 125 copper, and then a 150 melchi Hof. The melchi was my first amped HoF/global using a level 3 finder amp.

I can craft level 1/2 finder lights and I have decent QR on both. So I can use what I mine and not have to pay MU.

I am just wondering if it is really worth it.

I have mined a bit. I have gotten half a dozen globals and 3 Hofs... 424 caldo, unamped, 529 Ares, unamped, 98 lyst my first week playing with the caldo hof the next, 54 growth molecules, 149 caldo hof, 120 melch.

Yesterday I got a 125 copper, and then a 150 melchi Hof. The melchi was my first amped HoF/global using a level 3 finder amp.

I can craft level 1/2 finder lights and I have decent QR on both. So I can use what I mine and not have to pay MU.

I am just wondering if it is really worth it.

Remember to factor in MU onto the mats that you use, to find if it's cheaper or not.

If you have 100ped of materials you can use to manufacture amps with, but they sell at 130%, and you can buy 100ped TT of amps for 120ped, then it's cheaper to sell your mats and pay MU on the amps.

Also remember to factor into this further, the (assumed) 0.95x to account for activity TT losses, and then factor in the returned TT being 100% amps vs. reality (20%~ amps).

They decay.

...thus letting you increase cost per drop and get bigger claims. For example, dropping enmatter unamped planetside costs 0.50 PED/drop, and you get claims in 0.45...2.30 PED range, with Level 3 amp it costs 1.50 PED/drop, and you get claims in 1.35...6.90 PED range. (I'm neglecting finder decay here as it's, well, relatively negligible.)

A number that you can divide by 5 and arrive at decay per drop (e.g. 2.5 efficiency = 0.50 PED decay).

Note that dropping ore+enmat at the same time results in double decay, and ore+enmat+treasure in triple. The same is true wrt finders.

Whatever you can obtain at lowest markup.

When the game says the amp has 1.3 efficiency, what is it 1.3 of. Or when it says it has 100 efficiency, what is the measure off efficiency against? 1,3 is less efficient, what determines how efficient something is?

So an amp is not a multiplier? It just adjusts your base find size? So that if you get a multiplier it multiplies the base to give you the swirlies?

Because today I went mining with a level 3, and i would say a good 80-90% of my drops were claims. But I still ended up in the negative. I thought the amp was a multiplier itself.

So using the finders that use more probes will just take your base find from say 3 ped up to 10 ped. to give you an even bigger swirly if you get the multiplier.

When the game says the amp has 1.3 efficiency, what is it 1.3 of. Or when it says it has 100 efficiency, what is the measure off efficiency against? 1,3 is less efficient, what determines how efficient something is?

See entropiawiki - 'efficiency' is strictly proportional to decay, and that's it.

Because today I went mining with a level 3, and i would say a good 80-90% of my drops were claims. But I still ended up in the negative. I thought the amp was a multiplier itself.

LBML might help you track your hit rate more accurately.

To break even without multipliers, you need hit rate of about 40% (planetside), and that can occur on very short runs only. There is a theory that amps might affect hit rate slightly but if there's any effect it's too small to be measured.

So using the finders that use more probes will just take your base find from say 3 ped up to 10 ped. to give you an even bigger swirly if you get the multiplier.

Yes, L30 (L) works as if you had lvl 3 for ores and lvl 2 for enmats. That's why those finders are commonly called "pre-amped".

There is a theory that amps might affect hit rate slightly but if there's any effect it's too small to be measured.

After much studying I got a lot of answers and more, I also found this out.

Someone was using one of the uber amps and hit a very rare ore, I think it was rugaritz, and got a tower on it. So they made it to where certain ores/enmatters can not be found using amps above a certain level. I.E. affecting hit rate. So it very likely that normal ores/enmatters are affected in similar ways.

Someone was using one of the uber amps and hit a very rare ore, I think it was rugaritz, and got a tower on it. So they made it to where certain ores/enmatters can not be found using amps above a certain level. I.E. affecting hit rate. So it very likely that normal ores/enmatters are affected in similar ways.

This hapened in old VU 9 or short before, but since then a lot changed, and im pretty sure this will never happen again.

Indeed Trance I cant remember his name (think it was Rob Roy but not sure) and how big the finding was anymore, but it was ruga and he dropped it next to TP

Must have been around 2007

Ruga was then around 3000% so in fact he had a silence ATH of over 200K after sales.

Thas was the only biggy I saw of rare ores in 15 years EU :p

I'm pretty sure that amps affect what you get also

As far as I remember the ruga was hit by Paris Dub Hilton from Art of War soc If I am not mistaken. And he/she was using the customized 213 finder or something like that.

There were only ruga crumbs lying around caly after that hit... and today is no different..lol

Cheers,
Robo

Yes the bigger the amp above level 2, the less rare hits you will get. And not just the highest tier rare ones like rugaritz, but lower tiers as well. For example, even though frakite claims are not rare, the TT amount is heavily regulated and you'll never find a claim much bigger than 10 peds TT, even though small claims are fairly common. This means with a medium or large amp you'll not be able to find it. This is true for varying extents for other minerals as well. The only ones I believe are completely unaffected by amping are the defaults: lyst, oil, and fossil tooth. When you amp, your loot will be skewed towards the more common minerals, and this is more pronounced the bigger the amp.

There is also a decrease in TT returns as you use larger amps. Some miners may disagree (typically those who think 90% TT return is "normal" or those who have gotten ATHs), but in my own records the effect is clear. I call it the amp tax, it's at least 5% for mid level amps. It's not noticeable for level 1 or 2 amps. Hit rate isn't affected, but overall TT return is. I'm not sure if it has to do with the removal of rarer claims, or if it's a separate issue.

Amping will also make your SOOTOs better, and more common (at least they do for Arkadia treasures, I'm assuming all SOOTOs will work the same way).

Last edited:
As far as I remember the ruga was hit by Paris Dub Hilton from Art of War soc If I am not mistaken. And he/she was using the customized 213 finder or something like that.

There were only ruga crumbs lying around caly after that hit... and today is no different..lol

Cheers,
Robo

What is your brain made of? :lolup:

Man you've got one heck of a memory.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?43011-Rich-Rugaritz
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?42971-Historic-Rugaritz

Not something which you can forget, really :))

Back