A new thought to help the lag.

CozMoDan

Elite
Herco Coz Mann
I was thinking about when I started, not much lag at all except when we had an event where all the mobs were in one tight group and there were many players around. That is when the lag started, it wasn't real bad but bad enough.

Today I was looking at the all the green dots around Icarus and how far they were visible on radar. There was a glob at the very edge of the radar like next to the N,S, E and W letter. They were over the thin white line at the very edge. I also noticed the when the green dots were off the radar the lag was much less most of the time.

My question is: Is it necessary to show the dots that far away ? What is the idea there ? As far as I can see the only thing it does is cause more lag.

Somewhere mindark said they want 80 percent of participants in a server inside a instance.... more instances may be needed. Kill steal happens often at icarus... move the red swarm there in to a new instance cave at the bery nest. Make it so that those that can enter the berry nest are the only ones able to sweat so as to create a sort of cap on it again... create a similar instance on each planet... remove the bones from the loot pool of any mobs not inside of that instance. After the bones collecting mission is over inside that cave you can't go in again. Would get folks that already have completed that mission, and are probably higher level than they should be sweating away from making that server overloaded with avatars?

Last edited:
Somewhere mindark said they want 80 percent of participants in a server inside a instance.... more instances may be needed. Kill steal happens often at icarus... move the red swarm there in to a new instance cave at the bery nest. Make it so that those that can enter the berry nest are the only ones able to sweat so as to create a sort of cap on it again... create a similar instance on each planet... remove the bones from the loot pool of any mobs not inside of that instance. After the bones collecting mission is over inside that cave you can't go in again. Would get folks that already have completed that mission, and are probably higher level than they should be sweating away from making that server overloaded with avatars?

Not sure what all that means but I think you are saying that a player would not be allowed to hunt what he wants or the loots he wants. Why don't you just suggest that that MA limits all servers to 10 players and limit the loot to shrapnel only.

There is no need to help the lag.
Actually, there should be no lag, if it can be helped.
:smash:

EDIT: Preview from the upcoming new Rocktropia bps. Just has been leaked... :)

no_lag_trucker_hat-r11c2a83732d549b08d8731313966f20e_eahwi_8byvr_540.jpg

No Lag Trucker Hat

Last edited:
No More $*&#@))@*&# Trucker Hats!!!!

Not sure what all that means but I think you are saying that a player would not be allowed to hunt what he wants or the loots he wants. Why don't you just suggest that that MA limits all servers to 10 players and limit the loot to shrapnel only.[/QUOTE

I am going to roll with..MA needs a better server and upgrade their game a bit? OR get out of Camp Icarus. :laugh: :duh:

Why does my refiner lag. :confused:

My returns translate directly into deposit lag.

My question is: Is it necessary to show the dots that far away ? What is the idea there ? As far as I can see the only thing it does is cause more lag.

I don't Think it's the dots, themselves, that cause lag but rather that they likely render to 100%. Things like armor, clothes (texture and then apply deterioration), handheld weapon and so on. And then (bad in some cases) that when they leave edge of radar for a few seconds and then come back into radar have to be re-rendered.

I wonder if it would be possible to render players far away, let's say >75m, as just cylinders with a color scheme that roughly matches clothes/armor until you do something like aim a scope at them, and that that distance is reduced in places with lots of avatars. First just show all avatars as colored cylinders, and then start to render them beginning with those Close to you and then continue rendering avatars "out" at a certain CPU priority.

Also doing the same with storage Icons; originally show all items in inventory/storage as colored boxes (cubes) at the right size (!), and then at a certain pace start to render the real image. This is so you don't have to wait for all weapons to render in inventory until you can select a specific one (to, for instance, de-attach its weapon amp).

Maybe this would also allow "down-level" clients (if desireable), for instance computers with 1 GB of ram and no "gaming" graphic card. This is it would allow you do do low-level playing on a lesser computer, for instance log in using an old computer to chat with socmates (taking the higher risk of botting into account).

I don't Think it's the dots, themselves, that cause lag but rather that they likely render to 100%. Things like armor, clothes (texture and then apply deterioration), handheld weapon and so on. And then (bad in some cases) that when they leave edge of radar for a few seconds and then come back into radar have to be re-rendered.

I wonder if it would be possible to render players far away, let's say >75m, as just cylinders with a color scheme that roughly matches clothes/armor until you do something like aim a scope at them, and that that distance is reduced in places with lots of avatars. First just show all avatars as colored cylinders, and then start to render them beginning with those Close to you and then continue rendering avatars "out" at a certain CPU priority.

Also doing the same with storage Icons; originally show all items in inventory/storage as colored boxes (cubes) at the right size (!), and then at a certain pace start to render the real image. This is so you don't have to wait for all weapons to render in inventory until you can select a specific one (to, for instance, de-attach its weapon amp).

Maybe this would also allow "down-level" clients (if desireable), for instance computers with 1 GB of ram and no "gaming" graphic card. This is it would allow you do do low-level playing on a lesser computer, for instance log in using an old computer to chat with socmates (taking the higher risk of botting into account).

Actually that is what I meant about the Avatars. I wasn't clear about that but you are exactly right, IMO, that the avas are rendered as long as the dot appears on the screen. Who even cares about dots ? It could be like the PvP zone and just show them when they are close enough to see the complete ava.

This have to due with the networking of the game. Everything happen on server, so this is not affected, aslong no data need to be transmitted to the cliends, or from clients to the server.

So moving around, shoot guns, do actions, always send data to the server, before some thing hapen.
Now, the more players, and also AI creatures are within a zone range, the more lag it will cause.

If the green dots disapear on radar, then they are just outside of our server zone, where you be. This is range depending, and also could be dynamicaly handled in the mechanic.

This have to due with the networking of the game. Everything happen on server, so this is not affected, aslong no data need to be transmitted to the cliends, or from clients to the server.

So moving around, shoot guns, do actions, always send data to the server, before some thing hapen.
Now, the more players, and also AI creatures are within a zone range, the more lag it will cause.

If the green dots disapear on radar, then they are just outside of our server zone, where you be. This is range depending, and also could be dynamicaly handled in the mechanic.

I am not sure what you are saying but everything that happens to all other events other than your own are server side and are sent to the client. If a player, other than yourself, moves that is a server side action (it is sent to the server from the player's client then the server updates all other clients in the area) . If you think that the green dots (other players) are outside your server zone I am fairly sure you are wrong. I am also fairly sure if the dots were on another server you would not see them at all until you reached that server's area. I think that when a player moves this information is sent to all players in view of the dots.

Just one other thing I would like to say, if you TP (with your TP chip or hit the T key) all of the players, mobs and anything else, have to be in their current state (updated) else you would have to wait until all that info is sent to your client, I think :)

Not sure about all that I have said but that is the only things that makes sense to me.

The lag problem we are currently experiencing doesn't have anything to do with the number of people on radar.

The lag problem we are currently experiencing doesn't have anything to do with the number of people on radar.

How do you know that and if it is not the problem then what is ? Just an honest question.

How do you know that and if it is not the problem then what is ? Just an honest question.

Because the lag happens with several people on the radar or zero people on the radar, no difference.

I am not sure what you are saying but everything that happens to all other events other than your own are server side and are sent to the client. If a player, other than yourself, moves that is a server side action (it is sent to the server from the player's client then the server updates all other clients in the area) . If you think that the green dots (other players) are outside your server zone I am fairly sure you are wrong. I am also fairly sure if the dots were on another server you would not see them at all until you reached that server's area. I think that when a player moves this information is sent to all players in view of the dots.

Just one other thing I would like to say, if you TP (with your TP chip or hit the T key) all of the players, mobs and anything else, have to be in their current state (updated) else you would have to wait until all that info is sent to your client, I think :)

Not sure about all that I have said but that is the only things that makes sense to me.

Everything hapen server side. The client only comunicate with the server, sending and gettting datas from it. but what you see on the screen is server side.

Otherwise everyone could cheat and hack the system very easy. it is also the nature of how Multiplayer games are working. We just think that all happen at client. but the client does not the work. The server is doing everything. The client is only replicated to the server. If you move around, it is still sending to the server, that you want move, but you dont move on client! The server move you. But ok, this is a very, very simply description, how this all is working... there is a lot more, like handling server borders, so you even can see players and also AI on other side of the server zone. This is transmission server zone.

Get this from a unreal engine game designer :)

Last edited:
Because the lag happens with several people on the radar or zero people on the radar, no difference.
I don't think that is true at all period. I guess you don't do events much because the more the people the more the lag.

Everything hapen server side. The client only comunicate with the server, sending and gettting datas from it. but what you see on the screen is server side.

Otherwise everyone could cheat and hack the system very easy. it is also the nature of how Multiplayer games are working. We just think that all happen at client. but the client does not the work. The server is doing everything. The client is only replicated to the server. If you move around, it is still sending to the server, that you want move, but you dont move on client! The server move you. But ok, this is a very, very simply description, how this all is working... there is a lot more, like handling server borders, so you even can see players and also AI on other side of the server zone. This is transmission server zone.

Get this from a unreal engine game designer :)

I think that is basically what I said. BTW this is a the cry engine and I am not sure but I think it is different from the unreal engine.

I think that is basically what I said. BTW this is a the cry engine and I am not sure but I think it is different from the unreal engine.

Basicaly it is the same, if you look at the basics how a MMO is coded and work into the network. No mater what engine. And no engine totaly fit the mechanic of the game you maybe want make. Cry engine, and also Unreal Engine are not realy written to handle huge MMO games.. They suport Multiplayer, yes, but a MMO is a stage harder to code. I be working at a MMO title, at moment, with a small team of programmers and artists together, so i know a bit how all this is working. Last week we did a network test where we testet server zones, and server transmission zones, city zones and city transmission zones.

How ever, the lag we some times get in eu, have to do with networking, and also the internet it self. The fastest server can not help, if the bottleleck is between server and client. it can be so many things, making lag. But one is sure, the more player on same zone, the more lag we get from networking.

Back