Skill boosts: Fact or just more BS

CozMoDan

Elite
Herco Coz Mann
Since the showing of the amounts for attributes is now shown I have paid a little attention to the amounts shown. Seemed like a good idea and was interesting. I noticed that over time (Like since I started) that my laser tech and hence my damage has risen faster than my hits skill. In the beginning they progressed about the same and I hit lvl 80 and got the kill strike it went up faster.

Anyway I was watching my number for laser tech and it seemed to be 0.0060 all the time. This morning I got a boost of 82% so I was watching and when I got a laser tech it was still 0.0060. I really felt it should have been higher but it wasn't. Then one came up (after a few 0.0060) and it was 0.0102 and that was the first time I had seen it higher than the 0.0060 and seemed about the right amount for a plus 82% and I thought hum. But it gets better later on when watching all of a sudden I got a .0120 for laser tech with no boost.

When the boost thing came out I don't remember anything about it saying in the release notes that the boost was a random boost, I got the feeling that it was all the time while the boost was in effect, as in when you get a greennie you got extra points but that doesn't seem to be true.

So my question is what the heck is going on ? Does the boost work or not ? It seems that it is just a random thing that means nothing but more BS.

The boost seem to increase amount of gains, and not value per gain.

I would think an industrious programmer could create a program that reads the skill gains and time it with weapon activations to give some accurate information.

Yes.

Other larger than normal skill gains can be kill shot bonuses.

Yes.

Other larger than normal skill gains can be kill shot bonuses.

I do not think that is what the release notes said. I hope someone remembers when it was so I can re-read what it said. Otherwise I will have to go back through the notes to find it.

I do not think that is what the release notes said. I hope someone remembers when it was so I can re-read what it said. Otherwise I will have to go back through the notes to find it.

It's your thread......

It's your thread......

True, I check with chat and the guy thought it was in 2013. I did find a reference to the skill boost in a post in 2013. I looked in the release notes for 2013 but guess what the notes went from 12.0 to 12.31 and then jumped to 14.xx in the same year. I have to think there are many VU notes missing so I stopped looking.

Hunt for a while with no skill boost and get used to how frequently the skill lines appear, then when you get a large skill boost it will be very obvious that you are getting skill lines much more frequently.

Hunt for a while with no skill boost and get used to how frequently the skill lines appear, then when you get a large skill boost it will be very obvious that you are getting skill lines much more frequently.
All ready did that, each time I get the boost, and found no difference to speak of between boosted and non-boosted. Actually it seems that I get more lines when not boosted as in several lines at a time (4 or 5) and I don't remember even getting that when boosted. Also I need to add this has just been in the last few months that I really started to notice. That is why I made this post.

0.00007 agi from a certain super high level mob per tick vs 0.00009 after using 10% skill boost

0.00007 agi from a certain super high level mob per tick vs 0.00009 after using 10% skill boost

I was really talking about the boosts you get while hunting and not ones that you buy like the pills.

Skill gain increasing buffs increase the chance of getting an increase in a skill when using a profession. The amount of skill gained each time is not increased by these buffs. This applies to all currently existing skill increase buffs.

Skill gain increasing buffs increase the chance of getting an increase in a skill when using a profession. The amount of skill gained each time is not increased by these buffs. This applies to all currently existing skill increase buffs.

Sounds like whatever I saw then was me going crazy :D thanks for clarification

Then you are saying that you have a better chance of getting the "greenie" but at a normal amount, i.e. the amount is not increased but the number of times is increased.

Would it be possible for you to give a link to the original release notes ? Just for my edification.

Thanks for the reply in any case and this will stop the if, ands and buts:)

Then you are saying that you have a better chance of getting the "greenie" but at a normal amount, i.e. the amount is not increased but the number of times is increased.

QUOTE]

That's exactly how I read it. I must admit I thought that you would get the larger amount. I suspect that mathematically the answer is the same though?

Would it be possible for you to give a link to the original release notes ? Just for my edification.

I believe what you are thinking of is this (from VU14.3 release notes):

* Automatically triggered skill bonuses. Duration and strength of the triggered bonus is dependent on the level of recent activity.
Also:

New in 14.3 is a dazzling new feature of Skill Buffing allowing your Avatar to gain skills with a bonus factor for a limited time period. The Buff is automatically triggered while playing to give you a bonus increase in one of the skills involved in your current activity. The strength and duration of the Skill Buff you receive is also dependent of the level of your recent activity. This feature gives you an extra edge to your game-play and allows your activity of Entropia Universe to pay off in skill gains faster.
It says nothing about how exactly it works.

New in 14.3 is a dazzling new feature of Skill Buffing allowing your Avatar to gain skills with a bonus factor for a limited time period.

The key words here is GAIN WITH A BONUS FACTOR. Says nothing about getting more greenies just skill gains.

I hope Charlie will respond to this.

New in 14.3 is a dazzling new feature of Skill Buffing allowing your Avatar to gain skills with a bonus factor for a limited time period.

The key words here is GAIN WITH A BONUS FACTOR. Says nothing about getting more greenies just skill gains.

I hope Charlie will respond to this.

The bonus factor is the increased chance of receiving skill gains...

At the end of the day, a 14% skill increase buff increases skill gain by 14% by making skill increases 14% more likely to occur, despite not affecting the size of the skill gains.

I have personally noticed countless times where I got random skill buffs of the 250-300% variety and the quantity of green lines increased to ridiculous amounts, so I have no idea how you haven't seen this yourself at least once.

There is nothing to complain about here, everything is working as intended.

It is different. "To give you a bonus increase" is not the same as a "chance to gain An increase in a skill".

Can equally be interpreted both ways. But as I easily see the increase of green lines under buffs, the other possibility never occurred to me, so I was quite surprised with all this fuzz.

Thanks for the reply in any case and this will stop the if, ands and buts:)

So greater chance of a skill line so this translates into doing activities or mobs that generate good skills. Killing a lot of mobs that give good skills means more kill bonus opportunities which can be 3-4 times the normal skill line. Ever kill a mob and get 3 skills ;)

The bonus factor is the increased chance of receiving skill gains...

At the end of the day, a 14% skill increase buff increases skill gain by 14% by making skill increases 14% more likely to occur, despite not affecting the size of the skill gains.

I have personally noticed countless times where I got random skill buffs of the 250-300% variety and the quantity of green lines increased to ridiculous amounts, so I have no idea how you haven't seen this yourself at least once.

There is nothing to complain about here, everything is working as intended.

I have never seen a 250% skill buff that is received from the game. You may have stacked buffs but we are not talking buffs that are purchased but received in-game. If you are saying that you got a skill buff above 200% I would need to see a screen shot of that or I call BS on you :).

Moreover the release notes never speak of frequency just size increase. I just don't see the line that says anything about "number of lines" increase in the release notes.

I have never seen a 250% skill buff that is received from the game. You may have stacked buffs but we are not talking buffs that are purchased but received in-game. If you are saying that you got a skill buff above 200% I would need to see a screen shot of that or I call BS on you :).

Moreover the release notes never speak of frequency just size increase. I just don't see the line that says anything about "number of lines" increase in the release notes.

Do you need to be hit over the head with a sledgehammer? Stop being dense and accept the explanation by many.

I have personally noticed countless times where I got random skill buffs of the 250-300% variety and the quantity of green lines increased to ridiculous amounts

Regarding this, in last few weeks (months?) I have not noticed I got any of these huge skill bonus while hunting, but only smaller ones, mostly around 20-60% increase, while before I quite often got 150%+ skill gains.

Anyone else noticed that the % seems to be lower now than before or it's just me?

Do you need to be hit over the head with a sledgehammer? Stop being dense and accept the explanation by many.

I guess I may be one of the few here that read the release notes and I stand by what I said.

Regarding this, in last few weeks (months?) I have not noticed I got any of these huge skill bonus while hunting, but only smaller ones, mostly around 20-60% increase, while before I quite often got 150%+ skill gains.

Anyone else noticed that the % seems to be lower now than before or it's just me?

Sure have but don't say anything because some one will say you are dense because you are paying attention to what you see and read. I have had maybe two over 100 in the past 3-4 months.

Back