3 things to improve regarding Pets & Taming

Legends

Elite
Society
Dirty Dingos
Inherent Marxus Legends
As the title says, 3 things about pets that should be implemented in order to improve that dynamic of EU.

1. More information on Pet buffs under the 'Detailed Information' panel
Show all available buffs for a pet when clicking "Item Info", under "Detailed Information". Show the status of each buff, i.e. Locked/Unlocked, preferably with a progress bar, similar to the progress bar you see on a blueprint for your success rate when using it.

Reasoning for this: Pets have no Market History and cannot be sold on the Auction, which I think is wise. But this means that people sell them in shops or do private trades in person. When buying a pet in a shop or from someone, it is easy to see the pet's level just by hovering your cursor over it, but it isn't possible to see what that pet's buffs are, or whether these buffs are unlocked or not. Unlocked buffs makes the pet more valuable and this information should be available to a potential buyer. Pet buffs are generally unknown to players that do not own the pet themselves or look outside of EU, i.e. Entropiawiki or this forum, and therefore, a pet in a shop ends up mostly being 'valued' for it's 'coolness' factor, rather than what buff it will provide for it's owner. To remedy this, simply add to the 'Item Info' panel, all the buffs available for the pet, what level is required before unlocking each, and preferably a progress bar for each (you could just add a button for 'Show Pet Status' at the bottom if that's easier)

2. Pets for Miners, Harvesters and Crafters
A broader use for Pets, for example Pets for Miners. Aside from Acceleration buffs, there are currently no pet buffs that are of any real use to anyone whom has chosen mining or harvesting as their main profession, and there are no pets whatsoever for crafters. Yet, this would be easy to implement. Here are a few ideas of some buffs that pets could have for professions other than hunting or taming:

MINING:
- Increase rare mining finds 5-7%
- Increase Excavator speed 10-12% (same idea as faster reload for hunters)

HARVESTING:
- Show Harvest-able wood 1 or 2 meters

CRAFTING: (would be nice if this buff would also affect coloring, texturing and beauticians)
- Skill Modification 10% (same idea as Skill Mod Enhancers, except this pet would mostly affect success rate)

3. Improvement of the rare pet spawn mechanism
This next one might be a bit complicated and I'm sure that there is a lot of varying opinions about this, but I would like to see MA tweak or improve the current rare pet spawn mechanism to eliminate the possibility of players swooping in and stealing the rare pet which someone might have been working on spawning for many hours or many days even.

I have given this a lot of thought this year, I think the most frustrating thing is to see players flying around in a Sleipnir or Quad-Wing, obviously looking for a rare pet like a Ruby Kanin or Ruby Chirin dragon for example, while I'm down on the ground taming. I hate that this can be done and I think this is something that should be looked at. Only those that contribute to the rare variety spawning should be getting the opportunity to tame it.

So, someone correct me if I'm wrong but currently the way it works is either every certain number of kills (taming or killing being the same thing in this case), results in 1 rare spawn. So for example on RT, every 1,000 Steampunk killed results in a Hacked K-1 spawning. Perhaps with certain tamable creatures such as the Corinthian Kanin, it could be a percent chance of a rare spawn, but either way, the rare variety currently will spawn anywhere in the area where the creatures spawn, and I think that is the biggest problem. In the case of the Corinthian Kanin near the Atlantis Archipelago TP, it's not possible to watch over the whole spawn area, it is very large. I could be on 1 side of the mountain busy taming, then a Ruby could spawn on the other side, someone comes with their Quad and flies over the area and spots him before I do and 'steals' it from me, not fair, especially if he/she hasn't even tamed a single Corinthian Kanin that day.

If instead, every single successful taming gives a small chance of the rare spawn happening right where that creature was just tamed, that would ensure that the people doing the taming are the ones who are going to get the rare ones too. I'm not sure I'm the best person to put it in terms of programming but I could imagine a dice roll every time I tame a Corinthian Kanin, with a 0.01% chance of a Ruby spawn. If the dice roll results in 'yes, spawn a Ruby', then the Corinthian Kanin I just tamed would 'revive' (give it an H-DNA and full health) but this time is a Ruby, and the taming process starts over again.

This should work the same for those creatures which you must kill in order to get the tamable variety, for example the Island Gorilla on Secret Island. If a tamable one spawns after 1,000 kills, that tamable one should spawn right in front of me where number 1,000 was just killed, so as to avoid it being stolen by someone who hasn't been killing any Island Gorillas.

Thoughts, comments? Did someone already post about this?

Cheers o/

Legends

Another option for rare may be to not spawn em at all directly... instead put rare in a solo instance and make it so that u trade rare animal essence in to buy the key to those instances.

sort of how the alpha core cards are created on Arkadia mixed with how toulan started up their rare pet thing happening by completing several boss missions first.

Perhaps make a key or rare pet deed drop directly from the stables when you are grinding the pets down to essence very rarely as well in addition to the rare essence... so as to give tamers a bit less boredom while standing at that stable terminal for lengthy periods of time trading in one pet at a time.

Another alternative may be to make it more like the upgrade path that compet app uses... so you trade in lower level pets for mid-level pets, trade in mid-levels for upper level, etc. Except in EU instead of doing it as 'level' tradeups you'd do it as something different... either rare essence trade ups or a bunch of commons trade in to get an uncommon, a bunch of uncommon traded in to get a rare, etc.

Maybe introduce new more rare animal essence... so you use rare essence to unlock a basic instance to find uncommon... You use refiner to put several rare essences together to get a more rare variation of the essence that you can then use to buy in even rarer instances for taming, etc. Possibly do 10 tiers of different types of animal essence combines, with top tier opening up an instance where you could do something crazy like tame an eomon... of course you'd have to probably make that a team instance since solo would be impossible... perhaps eomon pet would have multple passive buffs that are very useful, sort of up there on a level similar to the halloween or christmas rings, etc.

Also, really off topic, but remove the limitations that planet locks certain pets. There's no reason at all that Pandi should be locked to ark, or vixen to RT imho, especially since the Dhampyre can be moved from planet to planet... Make all pets spawnable on all planets, and remove that damn level 7 limit to export as well.... completely stupid silly that a gorilla can't be spawned outside of next island/secret island on level 1 but a rare exorasaur, cat or dog can...

Heck, you got DNA in game for LAs, find other uses for it in taming. Perhaps mixing certain DNAs with certain pets cause a common variant to transform in to a rare variant of the same pet... In real life we have animal breeders, why not have the same type of thing in game.

Last edited:
As the title says, 3 things about pets that should be implemented in order to improve that dynamic of EU.

2. Pets for Miners, Harvesters and Crafters
A broader use for Pets, for example Pets for Miners. Aside from Acceleration buffs, there are currently no pet buffs that are of any real use to anyone whom has chosen mining or harvesting as their main profession, and there are no pets whatsoever for crafters. Yet, this would be easy to implement. Here are a few ideas of some buffs that pets could have for professions other than hunting or taming:

MINING:
- Increase rare mining finds 5-7%
- Increase Excavator speed 10-12% (same idea as faster reload for hunters)

HARVESTING:
- Show Harvest-able wood 1 or 2 meters

CRAFTING: (would be nice if this buff would also affect coloring, texturing and beauticians)
- Skill Modification 10% (same idea as Skill Mod Enhancers, except this pet would mostly affect success rate)

Thoughts, comments? Did someone already post about this?

Cheers o/

Legends

Looks like someone was listening, Monria just got a new tamable creature in today's VU which has an Excavator Speed buff :)

Very Exciting! Thanks MA and Monria :yay:

Cheers o/

Legends

Back